• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well thx for the reply. Here's hoping it gets made in a dlc form or something similar.

I would say that Paradox, in regard to convertors, should just make the game friendlier to it.

While I like the idea of a converter, I don't think they can work very well without being planned in from the start - for all the games involved.

My ideal converter scenario would be something like this. While each game has nominal start and end dates for stand-alone play, the "boundary" between each game (if you will) would need to be defined as some kind of global event. For example, from EU to Victoria, the defining change could be the beginnings of the industrial revolution (I'm no historian, don't ask me what THE defining features would be). When a country in EU3 is advanced enough to be ready to start industrializing, that's when you would be able to convert your game from EU to Victoria and load up the next game - whatever the current date happens to be. So both the start and end dates would need to be flexible, and instead the game would rely on certain conditions.

In this way the alternate history would progress sensibly from one era to another, and you wouldn't end up with stuff like converting to "Hearts of Iron mode" in 1935 but with a global political situation which makes the whole premise of WW2 ridiculous.

(a bazillion bonus points for Paradox if they can roll all the games into one and just have the game rules change on the fly as eras change ;) and yes I'd pay like 4x the price of a normal game if it replaced the current 4 games...)

It would make my wildest P-Dox dreams come true if this happened - and I know some Civ5 players who'd convert to the true faith of Paradox Strategy Games if they had that full history scope introduced!

Going from the dawn of time till the end of ages is a apealing concept to most. Itll be purely a fantasy campaign though. If you think about it...theres only one thing "real" about their grand strategy games and thats the start date. From there on its all fiction. When I was playing Victoria II for the first time I eagerly awaited 'The Great War'. But It never came. The german country were not even formed.

So a ahistorical grand strategy game from the stone ages to modern times and up would be totally awesome

I think its a good time to start making all the Paradox in-house games able to convert to each other. Like they're all part of one big franchise, instead of separate, very similar franchises.

Don't do it, at least not yet.

As much as I'd want one, it's just too much work for too little benefit. The converter would have to be updated pretty much any time either CK2 or EU4 gets an update/DLC or it would break. That translates into smaller and/or more expensive updates/DLC. A converter would only really make sense as a final DLC, when you know you're not going to update either game anymore.

Better than spritepacks...

I coverter would brobably sell better than spritepacks in my humble opinion.

Especially if it is moddable by itself....

I bet hard core paradox players will pay for such a thing... and increase the sales of titles that arent as popular themselves....

Nothing planned at the moment but I agree with you that it would be awesome :cool:. Sadly these converters are often quite cumbersome to create and break very easily.

What about developing an opensource converter so we get a nice converter when the game is released and we can work on it to change it for allowing different mods or whatever.

I coverter would brobably sell better than spritepacks in my humble opinion.

Especially if it is moddable by itself....

I bet hard core paradox players will pay for such a thing... and increase the sales of titles that arent as popular themselves....

No it won't. Just because I'm hard core doesn't mean I like Vic/CK as much as EU, and I certainly won't buy something half finished, not even a DLC. This converter is just one of those countless things that the devs should not focus on for EU4.

Yes. There is a splendid tradition of fan-made converters, and as much as I love them, the fact is that it is an extremely niche market even by Pdox player standards. Let the devs work on what only they can do, and what will actually make them money.

Paradox should concentrate on games. They have so many titles to concentrate on, making converters would only distract them.

Paradox should concentrate on games. They have so many titles to concentrate on, making converters would only distract them.

Converters can actually add to the games though, not just link them. There is an extra layer of strategy in a CK2 campaign if you also have to plan for a conversion to EU.

I'm not against converters. I converted some EU3 (but starting only in the 18th century) to Vicky2 games and found a completly new experience. I'm only saying, that the Paradox team should spend its time elsewhere, as it remains a little team which has many projects to cover (HoI3 expansion, East vs. West, March of the Eagles, EU IV). And I'm hoping at least for one more Vicky expansion. On the other hand, I remember Darkdooms last video before the release of Sword of Islam, in which he said, that more CKII DLCs will follow.

Because of that, I think Paradox has much more interesting things to to, than making a converter, if the fanbase is able to do it. ;)