• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Agreed. Byzantine isn't meant to shine or even exist during EU3 timeframe IMO. Byzantium can exist in mods instead.

"Isn't meant"

....why? Because history says so? It's all about changing history.

Personally, I'd be fine with either a 1399 or 1453 start date. I think the 1453 date is a little more balanced, but 1399 strikes me as a little more fun. I'm almost certain it will be moddable though, so it's not an incredibly big deal either way. I'm not sure how I feel about the graphics though. I've personally never played CK2, but I've always found the over-exaggerated graphics (borders, mountains, etc) to be a bit too cartoony in comparison with the more "paper map" style graphics of EU3 and Vicky2. That's not to say it isn't an improvement in other ways, but I sincerely hope that EU4 develops a unique style that isn't just a copy and paste of the CK2 map.

this is awesome. I have one request, please expand on Eu3 and ALL expansions rather than reproduce a base game with better graphics and dumbed down ala CiV. I dont think you would do that, but just in case.

I agree, but it's just part of the problem. Even if this was implemented (the badboy system is a blunt attempt to implement it, and the "coalitions" they are talking about in EU4 should be a better one), a coalition against (the player) of all the other (AI) major powers would just be a like "final boss mob", and once beaten, the player would be stronger than before and the AI coalition weaker: the challenge of the game would have peaked and would be decreasing.

Consider that in vanilla EU3 rebellions never succeed, not only against a well-managed player, but against any large AI. That shouldn't be the case: not only did obscure empires like Mali break up, but the Mughal and Ming Empires did too, and Britain lost her American colonies to revolt while France lost Haiti. This is a problem (although it should be possible to build huge empires as well, see Russia). And size makes it harder for revolts to succeed, while it should make it harder to put them down. One reason for this is that revolts are random, so if you're big you'll have a relatively continuous series of revolts that are small, compared to you, while if you're very small, most of the time you won't have any revolts at all but when you do it'll be relatively large - it's much easier for a 100-province empire to handle one province being in revolt at any given time than it is for a one province country to handle one province being in revolt 1% of the time. So there needs to be some mechanism for synchronization of revolts (other than just -3 stability), and when a big revolt does happen it should be managed through a pseudo-country, since the AI for rebel stacks really isn't up to strategy. It should also be possible for armies to revolt.

Could easily be fixed with a reworking of the revolt system. While small local revolts as we have now could still be in the game, you could for bigger countries add another one. F.eks they have already made an area map over the world. Where f.eks all of carribien is one area. I haven't looke dit up, but lets say each area is 10-20 provinces. Unless owned by the proper nations(each area could have f.eks 1-5 nation "allowed" to hold it withouth risking revolt from the area).

Lets take France as an example since everyone knows it. France could hold all of modern day France and not risk area rebellion, but lets say it you expanded south and took out half of modern day Spain? Then those province could rebell and what's left of Spain/Castille would get a free CB to join them. If the rebels alone are not dealt with within a certain amount of time they will defect to Castille/Spain/Aragon. If Castille/Spain join and they win, Castille/Spain could take those province in the area that France hold BB free if they win. Dealing with 1-2 rebllion is not a big deal, but if you got 10 provinces in the same area rebelling and then Castille/Spain joins in as well, then you could have a problem. There might be things you could do to reduce the risk of rebellions in such area tough, f.eks lower taxes, allow freedom of religion, more local authority etc. freedom and benefit that will only affect that area and not your entire country??, to reduce the risk, and maybee also get a warning, that if you don't do something, there will probably be an area revolt soon, maybee shown either by a slider of with one/a series of events clearifying you have a problem area.

If you own half of europe and have colonies all over the world you might have many areas that is in the risk over rebelling. These rebellions should ofcourse be much rarer than the rebellions we see today, but they should appear often enough that it will be hard to keep a big empire under control.

Personally, I'd be fine with either a 1399 or 1453 start date. I think the 1453 date is a little more balanced, but 1399 strikes me as a little more fun. I'm almost certain it will be moddable though, so it's not an incredibly big deal either way. I'm not sure how I feel about the graphics though. I've personally never played CK2, but I've always found the over-exaggerated graphics (borders, mountains, etc) to be a bit too cartoony in comparison with the more "paper map" style graphics of EU3 and Vicky2. That's not to say it isn't an improvement in other ways, but I sincerely hope that EU4 develops a unique style that isn't just a copy and paste of the CK2 map.

You and me both.

I hope someone creates a paper map right off the bat.

Awesome, I hope to see that it is even better then EU3.
(I hope it will be tested as much as CK2 so that it looks and plays good, and hasnt got many bugs).

If there is going to be beta test, I will be sad since I cannot apply for it(under 18 :C).

2005849-fe2dc_ORIG-my_body_is_ready_super.jpg

That is all :)

Also:
"- Engage in Multiplayer: Battle against your friends or try co-operative multiplayer mode that allows several players to work together to control a single nation for up to 32 players. Featuring hotjoin, improved chat, new matchmaking server andsupport for a standalone server."

Is it just me, or is there not only true drop in and play MP, put coop? Maybe its just me, but one can finally, actually SIMULATE A GOVERNMENT. Holy crap!

I know this is rather obscure, but any chance of some alt-history scenarios, like Miscmods?

Last edited:
I really hope that they add the EU3 'History' option! That's one of my favourite parts of the game that, as far as I know, no other Paradox game does, and allows you to make decisions, wage wars, fight battles, and it's all recorded into a written history as if someone were recording it for you, I love it, I'll be really dissapointed if it isn't brought back for EU4.

I really look forward to this.

It would be awesome if the game would run on Linux, too. Microsoft is apparently caressing the thought of making Windows 8 a close platform -with Microsoft-only online shops- and Steam has started considering other platforms for its games.

I really look forward to this.

It would be awesome if the game would run on Linux, too. Microsoft is apparently caressing the thought of making Windows 8 a close platform -with Microsoft-only online shops- and Steam has started considering other platforms for its games.

I support this as a member of the Open Source Movement.

Also, OS X support or I will come to Sweden and beat Johan with the crown of Sweden!

I really hope that they add the EU3 'History' option! That's one of my favourite parts of the game that, as far as I know, no other Paradox game does, and allows you to make decisions, wage wars, fight battles, and it's all recorded into a written history as if someone were recording it for you, I love it, I'll be really dissapointed if it isn't brought back for EU4.

I like the History file too, though I think it could have been done better. The constant "Delegation to the Pope"s was irritating. And it would be more useful if they stated the dates of the beginning and end of battles rather than simply how many years they lasted. Dates as to when Province X were incorporated via diploannexation or conquest would also be useful.

snip

That is all :)

Also:
"- Engage in Multiplayer: Battle against your friends or try co-operative multiplayer mode that allows several players to work together to control a single nation for up to 32 players. Featuring hotjoin, improved chat, new matchmaking server andsupport for a standalone server."

Is it just me, or is there not only true drop in and play MP, put coop? Maybe its just me, but one can finally, actually SIMULATE A GOVERNMENT. Holy crap!

I know this is rather obscure, but any chance of some alt-history scenarios, like Miscmods?

Currently if two players select the same nation in the multiplayer lobby I believe they play it Co-Op...

Why not just start in 1450 instead? That way you cut off 51 years but appease those who like Byzantium by giving it three years of life.

As an Ottoman vassal? >_>