• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
More seriously, I'd love an EU4 that had simplified versions of:

Victoria II's pop tracking and market system (but regional markets instead of one global one)
Crusader Kings II's character system for national and local leaders and dynasties, which could also be used for...
Magna Mundi's faction system, plus whatever other good bits that should be salvaged

Also, a better way to represent armies, with more of the battles actually visible on the map, and a more dynamic map that shows the changing seasons and frozen ports and rivers and the mini ice age and volcanic eruptions and all that good stuff.

Oh, and dynamic provinces!

I'm not going to hold my breath :)

Ubik said:
On 09 Aug 2012, 14:27 : "[...]UV is heading for GamesCom in Cologne. [...]"
Coincidence? I think not! :p
Where'd you see that?

That would be awesome, but really weird, if it was Magna Mundi, Paradox salvaging their work with the original Magna Mundi team doing more of a consulting position.

Where'd you see that?

That would be awesome, but really weird, if it was Magna Mundi, Paradox salvaging their work with the original Magna Mundi team doing more of a consulting position.

I'm pretty sure that Truman started long before MMtG was cancelled (and that Paradox aren't likely to reveal they're working on a game which is the subject of a lawsuit).

I also wonder exactly what UV are going to be doing at Gamescom, since the only game they've ever made was never completed and is subject to that same lawsuit... and their putative new fantasy effort probably hasn't gotten past concept drawings yet (given the marvellous scheduling job they managed last time).

I'm 100% there will be no "new engine". Maybe they should just give it a new name to stop the demands for an entire new "engine".

Why? Clauswitz is a tired old warhorse and really struggles to use newer hardware effectively. It was hardly top of the line when it first appeared, and that was five years ago; many of the newer games are really starting to push the existing engine past it's limits.

They have said several times recently they are constantly upgrading Clausewitz, I'm sure that means they aren't building a new one.

I'd say that if they're constantly having to upgrade it, it's a sign that they should be thinking about building a new one :p

I doubt that they are, tbh, but Europa was only being used as the mainstay for 7 years or so (yes, it still gets games published on it, but Paradox themselves moved on to Claus in 2006ish), so a new engine is certainly within the limits of speculation.

I'd say that if they're constantly having to upgrade it, it's a sign that they should be thinking about building a new one :p

I doubt that they are, tbh, but Europa was only being used as the mainstay for 7 years or so (yes, it still gets games published on it, but Paradox themselves moved on to Claus in 2006ish), so a new engine is certainly within the limits of speculation.

I can't find the quotes, but unless I completely misread what was being said, they've as good as told us they aren't working on a new one.

As I see it, graphically future games will not look significantly different then current games (though you may see improvements similiar in scale to the difference between EU3 without expansions and CK2), however I could definitely see the "invisible" side of the engine (the core processing) getting an overhaul, perhaps over to a 64 bit architecture. They may maintain a degree of backwards compatibility, and release games that are both 32 bit and 64 bit compatible for a while. 32 bit machines are becoming less common, but have not disappeared yet.

In terms of Graphics, I see no reason to change anything, while old Europa engine graphics was overly rigid, and difficult to modify (every map basically needed to be painted), the current graphical engine has all the capabilities required for the games they make. Of course, they'll continue to make it more efficient, and make it look nicer.