• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

galdor123

Captain
78 Badges
May 20, 2011
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
Hello,

I just started a new AHD game. I'm quite new to V2, I only played 1-2 other games (USA and Spain). Since I'm German, I thought why not try a Prussia -> NGF -> Germany game? Not Großdeutschland though, since I suspect that a Großdeutschland does not really pose a challenge (once you form it).

It's 1844 now, and I managed to form Germany by 1842. I started with a war vs. Austria, managing to get the admit hegemony war goal, as well as taking Bohemia and Moravia from them. Funnily enough, Anhalt (one of my spherelings) added a war goal for Istria, which I also enforced. I had a much harder time against Austria than I thought, because I was stupid and had my national stockpile slider only at 50%. Maybe that's why it took me more than two years to beat Austria...

Anyway, I had started to influence Denmark+Holstein and sphered them. Victoria had been coronated, so I got Hannover too, forming the NGF. Yay! After some army building, I attacked France for Alsace-Lorraine in 1842. This war was quite hard, as I suspect that France had more troops than me. The main victories were won in Belgium, where I wiped out maybe a third or half of their troops by encirclement. In the end I took A-L and French Ivory Coast in order to have a base for the colonization of Africa. I could have taken more, as I had France really beaten down, but didn't feel like it, and I wanted Germany!

A few questions/comments:

1) I used my NF to encourage bureaucrats to get to 100% efficiency and plan to get clergymen in most states to 2% next. Good idea?

2) I did not do much in regards to industry. Would it be a good idea to switch to a party where I can build some factories? I have some money saved up.

3) What is the recommended tech progression? I started with some culture techs to get research efficiency, another focus, education efficiency, then got medicine plus level 2 rifles. My guess would be to get more culture techs to make research better, however I have a penalty for culture techs. Should I get more army techs first? Should I change to traditional academia? Or is it most important now to get my industry started and get some railroads or so?

4) I have a crapton of nationalist movements going on. Well, they show up as rebellion, but haven't rebelled yet. I even got a really strong Prussian nationalist rebellion with more than 1 million supporting it! How is that possible? It is really stupid, since I -am- essentially Prussia.

5) Any further tips on what to do now are appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
1) Yes, it is a good idea.
2) In the beginning of a game most countries have either no capitalists or poor ones. In order to get industry going you need to switch to a party with state capitalism, build some factories. Your capitalists will get part of profit from it, and when you'll have a decent amount of capitalists who have money, you can switch back to protectionism (or laissez faire later on). Just make sure that you can supply your factories with resources before you build them. Capitalists do strange decisions, but in the end they usually end up doing more good than bad. Don't tax them at all earlygame.
3) You can delay researching industry tech for a while. Focusing on culture tech is not a bad idea since it gives you more RP's, but don't forget to develop your army. It is very important when you play Prussia - you have enemies everywhere. And France WILL come back for A-L. IMO the best tech in army tree to start with are tech for morale and combat width. The latter one is important because France has sick mobilization pool, you'll need it.
4) Oh, it is possible. You'll have to live with it ;)

One thing I tend to do is use my NFs to promote Capitalists in some of the more agricultural regions such as East Prussia or Hannover. That way, once you have finished building factories yourself, there is a good base of capitalists to carry on for you.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'll promote capitalists next I guess. And indeed, France came knocking for Alsace-Lorraine. I am playing that war now, but I have all but won. France has one stack of about 10 regiments left, switzerland and Sardinia-Piedmont (their spherelings) are in the process of being occupied. Spain sent some armies which I have wiped out along with the French, but I don't know if they have more.
Should I press for something? I guess I have to weaken France... thinking of demanding France-Comte.

1) I used my NF to encourage bureaucrats to get to 100% efficiency and plan to get clergymen in most states to 2% next. Good idea?

Nah, only focus those two in provinces with a polish minority. The literacy in the others wil lgo up to 100% even without focusing clergymen in them.

2) I did not do much in regards to industry. Would it be a good idea to switch to a party where I can build some factories? I have some money saved up.
Yes. Build a lot of factories later, and switch to a laissez-faire party once you have some factories in every region. Be prepared for a load of unemployed craftsmen for the next 10 years.

3) What is the recommended tech progression? I started with some culture techs to get research efficiency, another focus, education efficiency, then got medicine plus level 2 rifles. My guess would be to get more culture techs to make research better, however I have a penalty for culture techs. Should I get more army techs first? Should I change to traditional academia? Or is it most important now to get my industry started and get some railroads or so?
Industry should be your main goal, but don't forget to research important stuff.

4) I have a crapton of nationalist movements going on. Well, they show up as rebellion, but haven't rebelled yet. I even got a really strong Prussian nationalist rebellion with more than 1 million supporting it! How is that possible? It is really stupid, since I -am- essentially Prussia.
Guess it's unwanted, they'll fix it sometime.

5) Any further tips on what to do now are appreciated!
Before delcaring war onto Denmark sphere Holstein. This way you can form Germany even before the 1840's.

I think I can help here, having just started a Prussia game a few days ago. I formed Germany around 1849.

I've been promoting clerks in my five most populous regions, and so far my industry has surpassed that of the United Kingdom. My goal, one that you might find fun, is to take down the Austrian Empire. Freedom for all of those minorities, except for the Czechs, of course. However, I noticed that France would always launch a reconquest of Alsace-Lorraine.

So I took Franche-Comté, and cut them down to size. The damage I did to France was such that world industry seems to have come to a crashing halt (only myself, the UK, and the USA have more than 10 industry score), and France is no longer even a secondary power, and has been taken over by anarcho-liberals.

Really, Germany can do whatever it wants, easily once the French are out of the picture.

Thanks for the answers. I ended the war against the French, taking France-Comte and cutting them down to size (good idea there, thanks!). I had them totally occupied, and their industry score went to about 10 or so. A short time later though they are back to their ~140 score. I probably didn't occupy them long enough. I'n #2 in every category now, not too bad I think. UK does not have too great a lead in points.

Also I just noticed that Russia fell out of the GP ranks! And UK sphered them :D But they are bound to get back up there I think, won't be long. France and Austria signed an alliance, next time France wants its territory back Austria will probably help. Oh well. More fun ;)

Oh, another question: What are good targets for my sphere? I think I need spherelings which have rare materials, like rubber, and of course oil. I seem to remeber South America was a good place for that. Any other tip? Right now I am using my influence to maintain my spherelings (defend Belgium against the Netherlands, and Denmark against Sweden mainly).

Thanks for the answers. I ended the war against the French, taking France-Comte and cutting them down to size (good idea there, thanks!). I had them totally occupied, and their industry score went to about 10 or so. A short time later though they are back to their ~140 score. I probably didn't occupy them long enough. I'n #2 in every category now, not too bad I think. UK does not have too great a lead in points.

Also I just noticed that Russia fell out of the GP ranks! And UK sphered them :D But they are bound to get back up there I think, won't be long. France and Austria signed an alliance, next time France wants its territory back Austria will probably help. Oh well. More fun ;)

Oh, another question: What are good targets for my sphere? I think I need spherelings which have rare materials, like rubber, and of course oil. I seem to remeber South America was a good place for that. Any other tip? Right now I am using my influence to maintain my spherelings (defend Belgium against the Netherlands, and Denmark against Sweden mainly).

South America isn't a good place for rubber, unfortunately. Even though it has a big number of rubber RGO provinces, those provinces are quite small (x1) and are, all except one I believe, jungle - meaning 40% less labourers in them. So, even if you control all SA rubber provinces and have all filled up with workers, they would produce maybe about 60 rubber.

Much better strategy is to colonize Africa, Warri region especially, but also Benin and Lagos (that coastal area in general bordering Sokoto). You may fail in that unless you're a major power (not much problem as Germany, though) as that area tend to be taken first.

Failing that, you might go the Asian route. Easy way to get a lot of rubber is southern Vietnam and Cambodia, and in 99% of the cases they're not sphered so it's a piece of cake to get them. Take Vihlong region from Vietnam and force them to release Cambodia from puppet status and five years later, attack and annex Cambodia. Those two regions will give you about the same amount of rubber as entire South America. Not as much as Central Africa though, but it's much easier to defend them in the case of great war as you can safely concentrate all your troops in Europe instead of having to worry about running around Africa running or chasing your enemies.

As Germany, I like to take the historical route and leave Africa alone. Taking Vihlong and Cambodia + sphere Netherlands and all your rubber and oil problems are gone. If you need some more oil eventually, just use your massive coal riches and build some artificial oil factories.

Interesting! I have already conquered Johore and Brunei, and sphered Siam using my land border to them. So I already have bases in South East Asia. Netherlands is a GP (#6 I think), it would probably take a war to take them out of the GP ranks I think. Too bad they are not allied with France or Austria ;) In fact, they were allied to me not too long ago. Then they broke the alliance and allied UK and Russia (again a GP, and #3 military score).

Still, I took the French Ivory coast in my first round with them, so why not use it. I won't go overboard, but those regions you mentioned (Warri, Benin, Lagos) plus a few more sound too good to pass up.

Also, I recently researched Guards. Is it worth it to upgrade my infantry to guards? I guess they are more expensive, but I have a good income. What are good army compositions? About equal number of infantry and artillery seems to be the consensus here. Personally, I like 1-2 more infantry than artillery to make sure the latter are protected. Then I add 1 or 2 cavalry units for flanking.
So my armies were 5 infantry, 3 artillery, 2 cavalry mostly, and they ate attrition in the early game. I plan on replacing the infantry with guards, and maybe adding guards/artillery as supply limits rise.

Ha, it seems the French are afraid of me. It is now 1874, and they have not come back for round three. Of course, my military score is much higher than theirs, it is even higher than the UK's. And they had some rebel problems, but those seem to be solved now. Also, my industry score is even higher than the UK's, meaning I am #1 overall. It's not by much, but still. I had decided to put liberals in power with laissez faire, and it seems to be working. Even though I think that the capitalists are quite stupid on average, as they are building factories which are failing - and keep building them...

Also, Great Wars have been discovered. I am a bit worried, since my only GP ally is Sweden (#8, and NOT a military power), and almost all the other GPs are allied one way or another to each other. No one will accept an alliance with me. Oh well, let's see where this leads to. I do not fancy fighting France, Austria, Russia and UK at the same time...