+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need a history lesson - Why are some of the Duchies/Kingdoms awkard in Middle East?

I need a history lesson - Why are some of the Duchies/Kingdoms awkard in Middle East?

I'm not too familiar with the history of the Middle East, but why are some of the Kingdoms and Duchies are awkward in the Middle East? Some of them have weird parts stick out, on missing certain pieces that are in other duchies.

Please forgive my ignorance.

The Closer Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorOfIberia View Post
    I'm not too familiar with the history of the Middle East, but why are some of the Kingdoms and Duchies are awkward in the Middle East? Some of them have weird parts stick out, on missing certain pieces that are in other duchies.

Please forgive my ignorance.
    Could you be more specific about what you find weird or awkward ?

Quote Originally Posted by Veldmaarschalk View Post
    Could you be more specific about what you find weird or awkward ?
    It's hard to explain. I mean, the Duchies look kind of ugly and messy. Like, Why does Ascalon have one land county not in line with the rest. It's not that I find dislike it, but I was curious why it looks like it.

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Some are organized around geographical lines, like the Hedjaz and others on the Peninsula, but most of them seem more or less random.
    پادشاه عالم پناه

Well, the duchies in the KoJ seem to be based off of the real life lordships of the 13th century Kingdom. And they were fairly ad hoc creations (for example, Jaffa and Ascalon just happened to be given to the same Lord). So, that's probably why some of them look odd.

Liberté, egalité, fraternité StephenT's Avatar
    Cities in MotionDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The game simplifies the actual historical reality. The real-life kingdom of Jerusalem contained over 20 seignuries, several of which were combined, created, abolished, split, or whatever over the history of the kingdom. They didn't divide up neatly into de jure duchies.; but in the game, they have to.

As far as I can see, the territory south of Jerusalem was an independent county, the Lordship of Hebron, that reported directly to the king. It wasn't in any "duchy" in real life. However the Count of Ascalon & Jaffa - referred to in-game as the Duke of Ascalon - did control a large amount of territory and smaller vassals in the south of the kingdom, and so Hebron ("Beersheb") is allocated to them in de jure terms.

There were four main nobles in the kingdom of Jerusalem below the king - the Count of Ascalon & Jaffa, Count of Oultrejourdain, Count of Tyre, and Prince of Galilee - plus several smaller ones as I've mentioned. The kings held Jerusalem, Nablus, Acre and Tyre as their royal demesne.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaol View Post
    Well, the duchies in the KoJ seem to be based off of the real life lordships of the 13th century Kingdom. And they were fairly ad hoc creations (for example, Jaffa and Ascalon just happened to be given to the same Lord). So, that's probably why some of them look odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenT View Post
    The game simplifies the actual historical reality. The real-life kingdom of Jerusalem contained over 20 seignuries, several of which were combined, created, abolished, split, or whatever over the history of the kingdom. They didn't divide up neatly into de jure duchies.; but in the game, they have to.

As far as I can see, the territory south of Jerusalem was an independent county, the Lordship of Hebron, that reported directly to the king. It wasn't in any "duchy" in real life. However the Count of Ascalon & Jaffa - referred to in-game as the Duke of Ascalon - did control a large amount of territory and smaller vassals in the south of the kingdom, and so Hebron ("Beersheb") is allocated to them in de jure terms.

There were four main nobles in the kingdom of Jerusalem below the king - the Count of Ascalon & Jaffa, Count of Oultrejourdain, Count of Tyre, and Prince of Galilee - plus several smaller ones as I've mentioned. The kings held Jerusalem, Nablus, Acre and Tyre as their royal demesne.
    Thanks, that has been very helpful. But beyond Jerusalem, some of the other Kingdoms look sort of weird as well. They look artificial and kind of ad hoc too. I guess it wouldn't be... wrong for me to try to mod certain Kingdoms and Duchies?

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

The only Kingdoms that make some sense are those in the Maghreb (Mauretania/Africa), Egypt, and Mesopotamia, as it seems to represent a 'Kingdom of the two Iraqs'. The duchies are optimized for gameplay I suppose.
    پادشاه عالم پناه

Quote Originally Posted by Chamboozer View Post
    The only Kingdoms that make some sense are those in the Maghreb (Mauretania/Africa), Egypt, and Mesopotamia, as it seems to represent a 'Kingdom of the two Iraqs'. The duchies are optimized for gameplay I suppose.
    Yeah, I was referring mostly to the Middle East, not the Africa ones. For example, The Kingdom of Syria looks odd. It has several "protrusions" of counties that don't fit neatly with it.

+ Reply to Thread