• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Doctoxic

Colonel
88 Badges
Dec 19, 2002
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Hi

Am playing the USA and just made the "Manifest Destiniy" decision so i can war with Mexico to reclaim my new Cores there. However its now 1849 but Mexico are allied to UK!

Hows best to proceed from here?

thanks

You could always tag switch to the UK to end their alliance. I know cheating is something most people (including myself) try to avoid, but tag switching to end annoying or unrealistic alliances are okay in my book.

You could always tag switch to the UK to end their alliance. I know cheating is something most people (including myself) try to avoid, but tag switching to end annoying or unrealistic alliances are okay in my book.

thanks - i assume there is no game mechanic then that can break the alliance :(

any advice on how to approach this assuming a restart - only this seems to always happen (UK/MEX alliance)

cheers

No but if you start over you can prevent it from happening.

You're their next door neighbor the Brits can't hope to get more influence than you.

Britain gets the neighbour bonus too, because of Belize.

But they have interests in all world -> so they must choose mexico or rest.
And propably they will sooner or later sacrfice them...

Last edited:
Actually, it's real easy to beat the UK early while at war with Mexico. I do this every time to the UK.

1) Make some forts in NY, Maine, and the access points around the Great Lakes.
.....a) You'll need the forts to fight a defensive war, giving you the advantage.
.....b) Make sure you have leaders, because the UK's Canadian forces are typically leaderless.
2) Build up all your units as fast as you can prior to war (don't get irregulars, if possible).
3) Make sure you have at least one Army Tech advantage in one of the 5 categories, either better Morale, or Guns.
4) Make sure you have a naval presence. You'll need to do hit and run at first, but as time goes by, you'll need to keep building ships to clear the sea lanes, as the blockade will take effect. Don't be afraid to leave a battle, and go back to port to refit.

Then declare war on Mexico. Typically, I fight in Texas until I can get an edge, and then the Mexicans are on the run, and I can get 100% Warscore after a number of years.

In the meantime, the UK will come across the border. You need to fight a defensive war, and they will wear down fast, because you are fighting from forts on defense (i.e., force multiplier). Your leadership will carry the day too. Every little bit helps. Then, you'll be able to siege each and every province in Canada. Keep you small Navy alive ... and keep adding to it. Don't be afraid to retreat your fleet when you are outgunned (which happens often).

The UK will eventually ask out the war, but just be careful because they are the war leader. Make sure your demands from Mexico are settled. I've captured the entire US from Mexico in one war, while sticking it to the UK.

(And don't be afraid when you see their stacks of 75 points come over. The UK whittles away fast, and you can rotate armies too.)

Last edited:
all useful stuff - thanks guys, much appreciated

In my experience, you don't even need to worry about it. After claiming Texas Mexico should be pretty hostile to you. Make no attempt to ever fix the relationship and sooner or later they'll declare war on you and you don't even have to worry about the UK joining in. Also, I recommend forming an alliance with the United States of Central America. Mexico seems to have a hard on for starting wars with them, I just joined in and added whatever I could afford infamy wise through war justification (takes longer than adding through warmonger but it's still a net infamy reduction which is key till you can handle the UK).