• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Should have been role I suppose. Wrong role word. I will edit and correct thanks. In random other silly news, as just a fun game I did have an English duchess declare independance from England, achieve it, then swear loyalty to the Byzantium empress by abot 1160.

*Journal dated 7 of November, Year of our Lord 1177*

I have decided that granting kingdom titles to other Lords is an unwise move now. In my father’s time such things made them easier to manage. These days they just form factions to try to disrupt my rule. If I ever get the chance to safely strip a kingdom from its king or queen I will make sure I do so and keep such titles in the hands of the Kaiser, my family specifically. While I do not have authority to strip such titles from them right now I can still make their lives unpleasant. When a rebellions or peasant revolts spring up I shall make sure I put certain nobles who displease me right on the front lines to risk their necks. For instance the King of Greece has sided with the independence faction. So he can lead the soldiers putting down a peasant rebellion.
2012-11-06_00001.jpg

Yet I cannot stymie the actions of certain nobles. The Duchess of Holland, the King of Greece and the Duke of Genoa rise up against my enlightened rulership. This serves me well I think. I have the military might to stop them and if I do so I can reduce Greece from powerful kingdom to a simple duchy if I get him behind bars for this treachery. More than 70,000 of the loyal forces of the Empire are called up to put down the rebellion. The first and hopefully only rebellion of my reign began in 1174.
2012-11-06_00003.jpg

The war will be waged primarily in two parts primarily. A western front with the Duchess of Holland and the Duke of Genoa and an eastern part against the King of Greece. I plan to wipe out the western opposition first then focus on the eastern part. My earlier choice to reduce the power of Greece by making the Kingdom of Anatolia serves well here as it keeps the King of Greece who is by far the largest contributer to the war effort against me something to focus on instead of marching west through foreign lands to strike at the heart of the Empire.
2012-11-06_00004.jpg

The first months of the war see the advantage seem to slide towards the traitors. In the east the forces of the King of Greece are able to make strong headway by assaulting territories loyal to me. I have strong successes in Holland and Genoa though and my own forces are not nearly so reduced. I understand the strategy being deployed though. Once I am done west my fleet will carry my strong forces to Greece.
2012-11-06_00005.jpg

As I predicted my opportunity to strike heavily into the rebels comes in the fall of 1175. Nearly 20,000 of my elite soldiers have been carried by ship around Atlantic Europe and through the Mediteranean to the shores of Greece. The forces of the King of Greece are assaulting Seleukaia. My own troops will land and strike hard at them to devastate the army of the traitor-king.
2012-11-06_00006.jpg

I win that fight and begin to chase the survivors back into Greek lands. I want to destroy that army before it has a chance to regroup. Maneuvering my soldiers takes some time but I am able to start to turn back their successes in the east while the west is mostly uncontested. Nearing the end of 1176 the war is swinging firmly in my way.
2012-11-06_00007.jpg
2012-11-06_00008.jpg

When she asks for piece I decline. I want this to be a truly crushing loss. Finally in November of 1177, a year that will live on in the history books of the Holy Roman Empire, the rebels are brought to heel. I strip from the King of Greece, my own kinsman, the rank of King. No longer will Greece be the threat it was. As for the two dukes who fought against me I plan to let them remain forever more locked away in prison. The whole lot can stay there until they die.
2012-11-06_00009.jpg

*End of Journal dated 8 of November, year of our Lord 1177*

“Your Majesty, I have brought that compilation of those who still plot against the throne to you.” My son Herbert, who is also my Spymaster and heir, and I are alone in my great castle from which I rule the Empire. I have sitting on a nearby mantle an extra crown.
2012-11-06_00011.jpg

“Thank you son. After the rebellion last year it is more important than ever to stay abreast of these things.” It is an unpleasant fact but I am considering having my half-brother take over when I pass on. My son is a good man but he is too much the warrior. I wonder if he can manage the Empire with the sword as he would be want to.

“I will skip right to the ones that are more than just a dream in the minds of their leaders right now. Duchess Christine of Carinthia is trying to put King Welf of Germany up as leader of the Holy Roman Empire. She has no backers yet but he is a powerful lord. Surprisingly the Duke of Achia wishes for independence even after the results of the last war. The duchess of Dyrrachion supports him but they are no real threat yet. That same Duchess is supported by the Duke of Pisa in putting the Duke of Upper Loraine on the throne. Finally the Duke of Adrianopolis is backed by the Duke of Achaia to put himself on the throne of Bavaria. While there are many factions none have the headway of the last ones that sought independence. Our rule is secure.”
2012-11-06_00012.jpg

“My rule son. You are not Kaiser yet.” A worrying use of terms on his part.
“Of course my Liege, a slip of the tongue.”
“How are your children?”

“They are quite well mother. Theodorich and Cecilie remind me of you. They have that natural brilliance to them.”
Perhaps I won’t have to hand things over to my half-brother. There is potential in my grandchildren. “I think I would like to tutor them. My father tutored you I recall, I might as well maintain his tradition of educating not only my immediate family but my children’s children.”
“Of course mother.”
2012-11-06_00014.jpg
2012-11-06_00015.jpg

“I recall as well that there is a suggestion about standing armies yes?”
“Ahh yes.” He shuffles some papers. “Thanks to the size of our…your Empire we can maintain a standing army.”
“What of the costs to maintain such?”
“We need only worry about the hiring costs. So long as they are at full strength their maintenance will not show up as anything meaningful on the ledgers.”
“I see…then what are the options for hiring soldiers then?”

“We have organized the troops into 500 man tasked forces. Shock, cavalry, defence, skirmish and knights. While I do recommend a mix of each we should favor knights heavily thanks to their superior power once they reach the main fight.” He has a keen martial mind and I do trust his judgement when he speaks.
“Begin to build up our forces as you see fit there.” I say. The details of such martial endevours are really not my speciality.
“Of course mother.”
“Anything more that needs my immediate attention?”
“Not that I can think of.”
“Then you are dismissed, continue the good work.”

*Journal dated 1 of May, year of our Lord 1179*
Oh these old bones of mine get tired quickly these days. Managing a vast empire feels more and more like a young person’s game. Who else would have the energy for it? But the young don’t have the wisdom for it. At least the entertainment is good. A troubadour group returns to entertain my court and there works are most enjoyable.
2012-11-07_00001.jpg

Yet I grow distracted by age and internal matters and once more a rebellion builds up. Once more they demand independence from my benevolent rule. Once more I will show them the steel that is at the heart of every and all von Nordheims.
2012-11-07_00002.jpg

This time the main contender is the king of Bohemia. I feel my father was working under different rules when he encouraged the development of kingdoms. No matter. I will solve this problem through another display of unstoppable force. More than 80,000 soldiers rise up to deal with the upstarts! And so begins the month of May of the year 1179.
2012-11-07_00004.jpg
2012-11-07_00005.jpg

*End of journal dated 1 of May, year of our Lord 1179*

Ouch!

While you seem to have the things handled, you are still having to deal with the severe rebellions. What are their reasons for rebellion? Distance? Empress being female? Her personality? Anyway, I wonder if the Empress' son will accept it if/when she pass her throne to his son, rather than him. I hope so :)

Good luck!

Really not sure. They are just traitorous scum I suspect. See my noble queen!?

2012-11-08_00001.jpg

I don't revoke titles or the like. Only medium crown authority. I think there are cities and bishoprics they get upity over.

*History of the Achian League Independence War. From 1 of May, 1179 to 7 of July, 1181*
The first month of the war saw little combat. Instead armies were moved into position. The exception was in the county of Padua were King Jaromir Premyslid the Second of Bohemia ruled the Barony of Este. Positioned in Italy as it was the few hundred soldiers there were quickly overrun and a siege began.
2012-11-10_00001.jpg

By June more than 7000 soldiers were sieging the rebelling territory of Constantinople. In July the first major clash began as nearly 9000 Bohemian soldiers clashed with less than 7000 loyalists. Though territory was on the side of the defenders superior generals were with the Bohemians who maintained a consistent edge. However the battle did not end quickly and before it concluded the loyalists were reinforced by an additional 15,000 arriving from the west and south.
2012-11-10_00002.jpg

Besting them at Passua the reinforced force of the Holy Roman Empire marched north into Domazlice in pursuit of the defeated force. Reaching there in October of 1179 the already tired and demoralized force of Bohemians was crushed by the pursuing force in the battle of Pisek further reducing their power. Letting those who survived that battle retreat the forces settled in to begin to siege.
2012-11-10_00003.jpg

In November the mixed force of Sicilian and Italian loyalists who had sieged the Barony of Este were sailing from there to strike at forces in Greece. At a solid 11,000 strong they travelled to Epieros where 3000 of Duke Ordulf Brunswick of Thessalonika was sieging there. Meanwhile in Bohemia four separate counties were being laid siege to during that month.
2012-11-10_00004.jpg
2012-11-10_00005.jpg

Little happened in December. No armies moved aside from the force that had sailed to Epieros which once again moved by ship to lay siege to the capitol of the leader of the rebellion in Achia. The armies of the Holy Roman Empire were sieging on 6 different fronts though mostly in Bohemia. The rebel forces had suffered crushing losses in Bohemia but in Greece were active in small armies. The only real force with any strength to it was under the command of Duke Udo of Achia who was in the island territory of Cephalonia off the western coast of Greece.
2012-11-10_00006.jpg

By May half of Bohemia had fallen to the advancing Holy Roman Empire. The plan there was simple. Take each piece of the Kingdom so that they could move on to Greece without worry about having to defend lands back near the center of the Empire. To the east Constantinople had been successfully sieged and the army there began to hunt the minor forces in the region.
2012-11-10_00007.jpg

In September of Duke Udo attacked the loyalist forces attacking his capitol. However the three most famous generals in the Empire were commanding that siege. The Marshals of Ancona, Holstein and Epirus. Baldassarre was a lowborn man commanding the left flank. The center was led by Arnold who was also of common stock. Finally the right flank was held by Gerlach. Those these men were not nobility they were truly the finest military minds of the Empire. The forces met with equal numbers yet for every 2 men under the command of the three Marshals 5 of the enemy died. The loyalist army immediately began to chase the bested forces of the Duke intent on wiping them out to a man and maybe taking the Duke’s head.
2012-11-10_00008.jpg

Months passed chasing them and in March of 1181 the whole of Bohemia had fallen. Armies were beginning to march southeast towards Greece. The Duke had so far avoided meeting his end on the battlefield but the rebelling forces had made no real gains anywhere against the Empire. Months were spent marching their way southeast. However there was no glorious victory in the end. No being brought to go down on bended knee before the Kaiser. Instead the Duke of Udo died bedridden and infirm on 7 of July in 1181.
*End of the History of the Achian League Independence War. From 1 of May, 1179 to 7 of July, 1181*
2012-11-10_00010.jpg

*Journal dated 6 of March, Year of our Lord 1183*
I have decided to make my grandson a duke. As I am 70 years of age and the boy having lived to reach adulthood under my care I desire him to lead us. I grant him the Duchy of Austria. It is perhaps just as well. Tragically my dear son died of pneumonia shortly after the end of the rebellion. I had always thought I had been rather blessed. I had dearly hoped I would not outlive any of my children but it was not to be.
2012-11-10_00012.jpg

I did not approve of my grandson’s choice in wife though. Not one bit. I suspect blackmail. There is no reason I can see why that boy would marry her. Maybe some cruel joke of his father’s I will never know. I make sure that amongst the letters in my will he will receive my own suggestions about what he should do with his wife when he is Kaiser.

2012-11-10_00013.jpg

Still just because I am old does not mean my wits have left me. I start another war in Croatia against the King there.
(The writing continues in a different hand after this point)
However my dearest grandmother would not live to see victory against the king of Croatia. A war that I, Kaiser Theodorich von Nordheim the First would win.
2012-11-10_00014.jpg

2012-11-10_00016.jpg

*End of journal dated 6 of March, Year of our Lord 1183*

The throne fit me well. Or perhaps I fit it well. The throne that we von Nordheim’s had ruled the Holy Roman Empire from is older than I am. No matter though for there are matters to handle now that I rule. Matters of state far more pressing than the comfort of the cushion underneath my royal rear end.

“Assemble the finest minds in the land. I am no longer some minor count.” My prior council was a group of able minds but not suited for my new rank. Perhaps they could manage the single county I governed before but no chance at governing the entire Holy Roman Empire. No I would need the deadliest warriors, the most cunning diplomats, the most pious priests, the most obsessive accountants and the most sneaky of spymasters.
2012-11-13_00001.jpg

“Bring me Duke Dietmar von Lenzburg, Duke Manfred von Luxemburg the second, Caspar Premyslid, Duke Sieghard von Nordheim the second of Lombardy and Bishop Thietmar of Schaumberg.” I had known for some time that I would be ruler and I had already considered who would serve as my direct and favored agents upon my ascension to the throne. By all accounts these were the men most capable in their individual fields of expertise and as such would have the honor of serving me.
2012-11-13_00002.jpg

As per my grandmother’s suggestion word had been sent out to the nobles about who my choice for next Kaiser should be. I selected Duke Sieghard von Nordheim the second, the very same who served as my spymaster. I trusted him to be loyal and my grandmother’s judgment at least until I had proper sons of my own. I think that part of my grandmother’s problem in ruling was the simple fact that men are more capable rulers than women are. This is why they have difficulty keeping our respect. As to the matter of my wife I had hopes to divorce her. Honestly I did not like the woman not a bit. Yet for now I was cursed with her. I blame my father for this.

“I wish the war to be done by the end of the year. Make sure that my generals know that their new Kaiser wishes for a successful campaign and for the soldier’s to be able to return home to their wives and families.”
I had no desire for a drawn out war that would attract the ire of my vassals while they were still unused to my rule. With a new council on its way to join me in the capitol of the Empire and my generals given their orders to our war against the king of Croatia I sat back and began to think of the future while the train of noblemen and ladies professing their loyalty and my glory streamed before me.

*Journal dated 27 of October, Year of our Lord 1186*
I had seen the wars of independence my grandmother had to go through. I resolved to avoid such matters and keep a much closer eye on such things and spend coin actively where there was issue there. My soldiers accomplished my goals set out for them and before the year was done they were marching back to Holy Roman Empire territory. Somehow I even found myself willing to do my kingly duty with my wife. The candles were out when I did this.
2012-11-13_00008.jpg

However being Kaiser was making me aware of certain realities. One had to be flexible. There were demands that as Kaiser I had to adapt to. Things that perhaps had to be done in the middle of the night and actions forgiven. Well just a matter of truly maturing I suppose. As Kaiser it was my purpose to ensure the land was one in which justice could thrive and as such I had to sadly be free of it.
2012-11-13_00004.jpg

Traditions were changing in other parts of the world as well. The Kingdom of Burgundy was considered by many to be part of France. Not that the Kingdom of Burgundy had existed since 1032. After years as part of the Holy Roman Empire though no one thought that any longer. France itself certainly could not argue the point from any position of strength given their nearly continues internal strife. Perhaps I would create the title in time but unlike my ancestors I had no plan to grant it to anything but to just add to the prestige of the von Nordheim family.
2012-11-13_00006.jpg

Having the affairs of the Empire in order I grand tournament was called. Not all those who put themselves into the battle survived though. One count, Thietmar von Boulogne from Euboia, got himself killed. The man should not have been let near a knife let alone a sword. Still my condolences went to his family and to the other warriors who ended up passing on in the grand battles.
2012-11-13_00009.jpg

I was surprised at who won the tournament though. A divine miracle perhaps? The will of God? Still I offered the man my congratulations. Honestly though I am not going to be offering young man command of any of my forces anytime soon. Honestly the other winners were nothing special. Perhaps just few real contenders this year. I have no explanation except the will of God.
2012-11-13_00010.jpg

I have tried to get along with my wife. Yet after several years of marriage and two sons I still don’t like her. So I have written to Pope Innocent the Second and in his God granted wisdom he agreed that the woman was completely unsuitable for me on the grounds of consanguinity. Truly god is wise. My former wife left to return the Duchy of Susa she hailed from.
2012-11-13_00011.jpg

After very careful consideration I selected a new wife. She isn’t a rich and powerful noblewoman but she was the only one to pass my very strict requirements. Looking back through the most successful von Nordheims I have noticed a trend that ability is superior to who you were born a child of. I certainly like her more than I did the last woman. My only hope is that she can give me the children I hope for. Though I will pass on title of Kaiser to whoever is most suited amongst my family I would still rather see my son on the throne.
2012-11-13_00012.jpg

Yet while I busy myself with matters of love other things come to my attention. Duchess Christine of Carinthia has come to me about an internal matter within the Empire. She, and apparently many other nobles, believe that the Duchy of Gelre should not be in the hands of its current owner. I find myself agreeing. Duke Gottfried Wigeriche the 6th possesses five different Duchy titles. Too much power in the hands of one man for my liking or for the stability of the realm. She asks for my favor and help in seeing it given to another and I agree to lend her my aid.
2012-11-13_00013.jpg
2012-11-13_00015.jpg

I have ruled for nearly three years as I achieve something I know my dear grandmother long wished to accomplish. I begin the process to restore the authority of the Holy Roman Empire to the level it was at before. The powers of the other nobles will be curbed and though they will not like it they can still direct their attention outwards instead of against one another within the realm. With winter on its way I can settle in and relax a little. 3 years of rule without trouble from my followers. I have fallen in love with my wife and the power of some under my rule has been reduced. Things are good and I even have set for myself a personal goal to become famed for my piety as a Catholic.
2012-11-13_00016.jpg

*End of journal dated 27 of October, Year of our Lord 1186*

I want a downfall for your dynasty to a simple duke or count. That would be awesome. An infant heir or something like that. But I follow your AAR religiously. Good work on the writing part, you make it interesting.

My half brother became king of greece. That might lead to trouble if it makes you feel any better.

“Siiiiire!” My court is suddenly disturbed as a messanger bursts in waving a document. He is quickly brought down by my honor guard but I have them bring the document to him and hold off on killing him. Reading the document my eyes go wide and I stand up. As I stand so too does the rest of my court. “See that this man is fed and rewarded for bringing me this news!”
“Kaiser…what is it?” My wife asks of me. The numerous nobles in court as well most curious what is going on.
“Caliph Nabil of the Shia Muslim faith has declared a Jihad upon Anatolia.” My announcement sends a ripple of shock through the court. It is common knowledge that while the Caliph no longer rules Egypt and its lands directly they have a powerful sway on things. Who knows how many will respond to this. There is fear perhaps in my court. Worry. I am not though.
2012-11-18_00002.jpg

“Let the call go out that we march for war. Who took Anatolia back from the Muslims after it was lost by the Byzantine Empire? We did! Who took Greece back from the Muslims after it was lost by the Byzantine Empire? We did! The Pope will give us his blessing and we will see these lands ours for now and forever!”
“Duke Manfred? How many soldiers can we summon up right now?”
“Well my Kaiser, with lifting the authority of the Crown of Bavaria taken into account we should see some additional forces. With that done we can summon more than 120,000 men armed with the finest steel the Empire can produce.
2012-11-18_00003.jpg

“By my accounting sire we alone have more than twice the might of the entire Egyptian army.” With these words the atmosphere in the court begins to shift. Perhaps not all trust in God as much as they should but numbers is something they can understand. I smile a touch.
“Put out the call. I want every soldier we can arm with a sword marching to the east. I don’t care if they have to swim from Mallorca.”
“Right away sire!”
“Call out the generals. Send word to the Pope. Let Christendom unite here and show what happens when you mess with the True Faith.”

*A History of the Shia Jihad for Anatolia, Chapter 1*
The war began at the start of 1187. Kaiser Theodorich von Nordheim had been on the throne for only three years. More than 100,000 soldiers were raised up and immediately started to march eastwards across mountain and plain towards Anatolia. Even the Kaiser’s personal force was making the march. At first the Kaiser had planned to take part in the war personally. It was well known that the pleading of his wife made him defer and let his generals handle the details of the war.
2012-11-18_00004.jpg

Perhaps inspired by the threat facing them the lords of the Holy Roman Empire granted additional authority and power to the Kaiser in this time of war. This would grant him even more soldiers with which to wage the battle against the invaders.
2012-11-18_00005.jpg

The Holy Roman Empire was not alone though in the war. King Benedikt Ylving of Denmark offered his aid and joined the battle. Shortly after the Pope offered the support of the Papacy and promised that God had spoken of the glorious victory that the Empire would soon enjoy. It was a sign of the confidence of the Kaiser that he spent a great deal of gold to acquire a claim on the county of Bari while all this was going on.
2012-11-18_00006.jpg
2012-11-18_00008.jpg

2012-11-18_00009.jpg

Against the Empire were the forces of the Caliph, the King of Abyssinia, the Sultan of Egypt, the Emir of Medina, the Emir of Sanaa, and the Sheik of Sinai. As the Empire’s soldiers marched east across mountains to Greece and Anatolia their forces moved through Egypt, Syria, and Armenia. Both sides were mostly travelling by foot instead of boat.
2012-11-18_00010.jpg

As the first year of the war grew close to an end there had yet to be any real battles. The forces of the Holy Roman Empire were just starting to reach Greece and Anatolia. King Jozsef Arpad of Ruthenia finally offered his aid as well. Ruthenia was the fourth largest kingdom in the world with the third largest army.
2012-11-18_00011.jpg

Peasant revolts meant that some 10,000 soldiers had to make the long march back to the western parts of the Empire just as the winter of 1187 began. In January of 1188 the armies had for the most part assembled and reached the contested area. Amisos was under siege but the Holy Roman Empire had a significant military edge.
2012-11-18_00012.jpg

April saw two large battles. The first was a crushing defeat at the battle of Ancrya for the Shia forces. The second was at the city of Cotyora in Chaldea. In both instances the Christian forces saw powerful Victories. Muslim forces were pushed outwards from the lands they hoped to invade. Duke Manfred who had served as the Kaiser’s chief war planner and Marshal in this passed away after illness. A lowborn general of the same name took his place. In July word reached the soldiers that their Kaiserin was with child. A moral boosting event to be sure.
2012-11-18_00014.jpg

In September another great battle was fought. This time Holy Roman soldiers managed to catch a force of 10,000 Muslim’s in Seleukeia and best them pushing them deeper into Holy Roman Territory. By this point the Kaiser himself had joined the battle, bringing his brother with him and was marching with the force that took to chasing down the enemy force.
2012-11-18_00016.jpg
2012-11-18_00017.jpg

As the year came to a close the situation was looking very good for the forces of Christianity. Shia forces had won no battles and held no territories yet. They were outnumbered and had no easy targets to move in on. Their hope of dealing a demoralizing blow to the Empire seemed reduced as with the Kaiser’s victory in battle he returned to the his capitol.
2012-11-18_00018.jpg

In February of 1189 the forces of King Josef of Ruthenia had reached the war and were on the move. While the soldiers of the Holy Roman Empire were content to hold their land Ruthenian soldiers under the command of Grand Prince Trifon marched into the Byzantine lands of Koloneia to bring the fight to the Muslims.
2012-11-18_00020.jpg

When news reached the Kaiser of what the Grand Prince had done it is said he swore an oath of friendship with the man there on the spot. Such was his acclaim of the deeds that he even chose to name his newly born son after him.
2012-11-18_00023.jpg

The rest of the year saw little happening. The forces of the Shia Jihad had suffered numerous defeats and were demoralized and trying to rebuild their numbers. It is believe that the Egyptian sultan who was contributing the most to the Jihad had suffered more than 30,000 men dead alone. If the Muslim forces could not get some victories and territory under their belt they would have no chance at winning this war.
2012-11-18_00025.jpg

Terrible news for the Muslim’s in 1189 while the defenders had more good news. Once again the Kaiserin was with child. Though the Kaiser’s line was already assured with a son this was continued to keep up spirits for the defenders. The von Nordheim’s had been great stewards of the Empire.
2012-11-18_00024.jpg

*End of a History of the Shia Jihad for Anatolia, Chapter 1*

*A History of the Shia Jihad for Anatolia, Chapter 2*
The Shia Muslims made little moves for the lands of Anatolia during the year 1190. However at home the Kaiser suffered a personal tragedy. His newest son had been born a hunchback. Though they tried to keep news of his condition private until after the war word spread nonetheless about the event throughout the Empire. The boy was still a Prince of the Holy Roman Empire and would at least be assured comfort through his life through that fact alone.
2012-11-20_00001.jpg

Prince Trifon was named heir to Bavaria and the Holy Roman Empire and by 1191 the Shia Muslims had mobilized their forces and marched back only to find their way into the Empire blocks from nearly all approaches. Instead they milled around in Byzantine lands unable to advance or make an attack. If they tried to gather soldiers in great numbers in a single province they risked being unable to keep their soldiers from starvation or desertion.
2012-11-20_00002.jpg

Perhaps emboldened by the distraction of the Shia Jihad against the Holy Roman Empire Caliph Jalil Abbasid, of the Sunni Muslims, called for a Jihad against Jerusalem held by the Scottish throne. The danger though was that the main Sunni strength lay with the Seljuk Sultanate had been weakened by an independence war. Numerous minor powers had sprung up in the territory that had once been the powerful Sultanate of Persia.
2012-11-20_00004.jpg

Undeterred by how their fourth child turned out the Kaiser and his wife quickly got to work on a fifth and in August of 1191 she was once again with child. A few thousand Muslim soldiers had been carried by ship around and behind the defending line but were quickly stamped out by the defenders before the gap in the line restored. The Ruthenian soldiers had their own place in the defending line waiting for anyone to risk an attack.
2012-11-20_00005.jpg

As the year 1192 got under way a new Holy Order was formed. The Teutonic Knights. The noble warriors quickly ended up fighting in Jerusalem to try to ensure that the Scottish rule there would continue on. They would not get involved in this battle however. The Kaiser saw no need to bring additional forces into a matter that seemed well in hand already. There was a Jihad against Scottish lands in the Holy Land they might be needed for.
2012-11-20_00006.jpg

In March of 1192 another son was born to the Kaiser who they named Albrecht. Like his brother Trifon great things were expected of him and should disease or knives in the night take Trifon’s life there was now another who could rule justly in his place and would be named heir. The Bavarian rulers had generally been a fertile lot.
2012-11-20_00008.jpg

As the year wore on disease broke out in Anatolia taking the lives of many of the defending and attacking soldiers. Then finally in March of 1193 the Kaiser’s wife was once again with child. Some of the more base jokes claimed she was going to personally have enough children to restore the armies to their full size
2012-11-20_00005.jpg

As the year came to a close another son was born. This boy was named Georg and with so many children the Kaiser would have quite the family to choose from for his heir. The Muslim’s and Holy Roman defenders had fallen into a pattern. By boat they would evade the defending line and land in Herakleia. Once a few thousand of them were there the defending Christian armies would move one legion out of place to destroy them. This was being repeated many times.
2012-11-20_00011.jpg

Finally on February 6, year of our Lord 1193 the Muslim armies had had enough. For 6 years the soldiers of both sides had warred in the mountains with the defenders able to deny the attackers a hold on any territory. With his victory over them a great day of celebration was called throughout the Empire and it was named a holy day. For not only had they been stopped but the Pope recognized the work of the Empire. From then on Kaiser Theodorich was known as Kaiser Theodorich The Holy.
2012-11-20_00012.jpg
2012-11-20_00013.jpg

2012-11-20_00014.jpg

*End of a History of the Shia Jihad for Anatolia, Chapter 2*

“Ooh Theo? Theo my love?” Came the soft words of the Kaiser’s wife into his ear, slowly stirring the 29 year old Monarch awake.
“yes? What is it…I was trying to enjoy my Saturday. Perhaps by doing very little for once.” The Kaiser murmers softly as he slowly shifts around, sitting up in the bed.
“Well…I know you have been staying up late for a while now, getting ready for something grand for the Empire. However there are other things you should be thinking about.”
“Hmm? I haven’t been ignoring you have I?”
“Well no but you have been a little…private about what it is exactly you are doing.”
“Well I promise you my dear that it isn’t intentional on my part. You know me.”
“Well I want to know.” She says, a hand going to her rounded stomach. Their seventh child was on the way the two so far only having sons. Perhaps compensating for how his great grandmother only had daughters.
2012-11-20_00005.jpg

“Very well. I plan to expand the borders of the Holy Roman Empire further. There are several ducal titles I can acquire and then I plan to simultaneously press out in several wars at once. There is a part of France that should be part of the Empire. As well there are parts of Anatolia, Sicily, Denmark, Poland…a rather long list honestly.”
“You aren’t going to be getting personally involved are you? You know how I hated it when you left to fight in the east.”
“No, I have no real plan to do so. None can doubt my bravery. The plan merely requires some time. Money and time must be spent making sure everyone recognizes these are just wars. I am no tyrant.”
She smiles, leaning in to hold herself close to her husband. “I know you are. I just worry. You work so hard for everyone.”
“One cannot maintain an empire through inaction. It takes work and vision. The stronger the Holy Roman Empire the safer the people are from the depredations of tyrants and infidels. The stronger a realm we leave to our son.” He says the final part with a smile, his wife Eufemie smiling with him as the two cuddle close.
Three weeks later they have their fifth son, the Kaiser’s seventh.
2012-11-20_00016.jpg

*Journal dated 25 of September, year of our Lord 1199*
1196 is an interesting year. As I told my wife I engage in a series of border expanding wars. I start with an invasion into Stettin which should be part of the Empire yet is in Poland’s hands. Start is perhaps the wrong word as at the same time I declare several other wars. I also invade Lubeck which is in the hands of Denmark and finally I even invade the Byzantine Empire over the matter of Tarsos. They say one should not fight a war on three fronts but those people never had the might of the Holy Roman Empire at their fingertips. All their soldiers together is a mere third of my own. I feel confident in the eventual results of my invasions.
Poland yields first in less than a year. By February of 1197 Denmark yields land to the Empire as well. Only the Byzantine Empire remains on the field with me as my armies begin the march towards them. In July of 1197, a little over a year since I started these three simultaneous wars, the Byzantium Empire relents and puts Tarsos into my hands.
2012-11-30_00001.jpg
2012-11-30_00002.jpg

My wife, zealous woman that she is, pushes at me to ride the successes I have found so far. With my soldiers once more rested it is time to work to claim larger parts of the lands held by Muslims. She suggests Iberia where brave Castille is the only Christian kingdom left fighting against the Muslims. The Hammadid Sultanate rules over Barcelona. Or at least they do in 1198 when I call for a Holy War against them. Though a great deal of my military is land locked I still possess enough of a fleet to dispatch an overwhelming force against them. The war is swift. My forces press sieges hard to take the defenders by the sword instead of starving them out. Within a year of the start of the war my forces take Barcelona.
2012-11-30_00003.jpg

*End of journal dated 25 of September, year of our Lord 1199*

“Come Herbert, we should talk. Did you hear the news? You have a new brother.” I say with a smile. My firstborn son Herbert is nearly of age and my dear wife has just given birth to another son who we have named Theodorich after myself. Theodorich and Herbert are only half-brothers of course.
2012-11-30_00004.jpg

“I have father. Congratulations.” It has always been a little bit of a sticking point between me and Herbert that I divorced his mother to marry my current wife. Still he must understand that the duties of ruler ship come before all other things.
“I have news for you as well. I have found you a wife. In two months you turn 16. You will marry Wojslawa Halicki.” The name doesn’t slide off the tongue easily but I manage. “She is the daughter of a Polish count and by all accounts a beautiful and brilliant woman. She is a little older than you but only by a few months.”
2012-11-30_00007.jpg

“I…this is a little sudden father. Don’t I get a say in this?”
“Well in a way you do. When you turn 16 and are married I am going to give you all of Barcelona that we took in last year’s war. If at that time you think you do not want to be married to her any longer you can turn to the Pope and see if he will grant you his favor.”
Herbert is a little surprised. He knew he was not going to be the next Kaiser. Everyone knew of my favor towards Prince Trifon. Still he was being given land and title. That is more than many Kings or Kaiser’s would do for the children who will not inherit.
“If you will let me be honest father. I am honored that you trust in my abilities. I will govern the land well. As for the matter of my wife I wish you had consulted me but everyone knows of your foresight and wisdom. I will try to make the most of this.”
I smile warmly at his words. He is growing up into a fine young man and maturing well. “Well you are 16 in two months. You had best be packing and preparing to move out to your new court.” I say as I put a hand on his shoulder then give him a tight embrace. He is my eldest, my first, and there will always be a part of me that wishes I could keep him close. But he is going to be a man and must step out from his father’s shadow. He will make a fine Duke.

*Journal dated 21 of February, year of our Lord 1205*
The Kingdom of Jerusalem is no more. Though King Richard Dunkeld of Scotland still holds the title no longer does he hold any lands in the Holy Land. Such is what happens I suppose without a firm guiding German hand. My focus however remains on Iberia. The region is dominated still by Muslim Emirs and Sultans. I call again for a war in the area. This time I go to war with the Dhunnunid Emirate for the coastal territory of Valencia.
2012-11-30_00009.jpg

What an inopportune moment though! The Pope has called for a Crusade into Jerusalem! If I ignored it I would never hear the end of it from my dear wife. While I keep enough forces in Iberia to win the war there swiftly I send word to the Pope that the Holy Roman Empire heeds God’s call and will march! Tens of thousands of German soldiers travel by boat for months to land in Jeruselam. Even I myself am there. I am a Crusader and none will ever doubt my piety.
2012-11-30_00011.jpg

For whatever reason this time it seems only myself and a minor Duchess are willing to fight with the Pope for the Holy Land. Perhaps it is because that coward King Richard Dunkeld feels if he returns there he will once more lose the territory shamefully to invaders. I am not surprised that France and Castille do not fight. Both are weak from internal strife and other wars respectively. Still there are other Christian kings and Queens. Well no matter. I will win it for God.
2012-11-30_00012.jpg

The war for the Holy Land started in 1201. Thanks to the swiftness of my fleets and the fierceness of my armies I have taken the land for God. Yet…yet for…for some reason I am not given the territory. No, the Pope hands it back over to…to that fool who lost it in the first place! Once more Scotland rules Jerusalem where it was German blood and steel that won it. I send a rather scathing letter to the Pope on the matter but what is done is done. At least however my war in Iberia went off without a problem. My second son is given the lands of Valencia.
2012-11-30_00015.jpg

It is in sadness that I finish this part of my journal though. My dear and beloved mother has passed on. Though she came from a distant part of the east as one of those Cumans she was friendly and loving and everything one could want in a mother. I will mourn her. She is granted a state funeral befitting a Kaiserin even though my father never inherited the role of Kaiser.
2012-11-30_00016.jpg

*End of journal dated 21 of February, year of our Lord 1205*

*Journal dated 23 of May, year of our Lord 1210*
Whatever my personal tragedies are I do not shirk from imperial duties. My mother would not wish that. I continue to press against Croatia. One of my vassals has a claim to part of the territory so I press it. The Duchy of Transylvania also has a claim on it to my kinsman who rules Sicily. I press that claim as well. I also press against Sweden and Poland for territory along the Gulf of Danzig. Though these are four wars at once they are all against minor powers and they are all in regions very close to the Empire. While at war though my son and heir finally comes of age. After a bit of looking I arrange a simple engagement between him and the daughter of one of my dukes. If she survives the next 6 years we shall have them married. His talents make him an excellent Chancellor in the meantime.
2012-12-06_00001.jpg

Hungary is the first to yield expanding my territory by two more counties. Then Croatia yields giving me another piece of their territory and bringing me ever close to taking the entire crown away from them to one of my family instead.
2012-12-06_00002.jpg
2012-12-06_00003.jpg

Prince Norbert…my poor hunchbacked son also comes of age. I find him a good wife immediately. Even with his deformity I am able to arrange a betrothal between him and a princess of Denmark. Finally I make the King of Poland yield. Though it took more than a year I have expanded my territories by four more counties in total. I spend a good deal of gold as well putting titles into the hands of my vassals. Duchies mostly. There is a prize though I desire. The Kingdom of Aragorn, held currently by the King of Castille, should be mine. I possess the territory. Well no matter. There are other ways I can pass the time. For one thing the counties of Lecce and Foggia are vulnerable to de jure claim presses. I do not raise the fullness of my armies, just those of Greece and Sicily to conquer both regions.
2012-12-06_00004.jpg

My son Norbert is finally married. After a betrothal of 2 years his wife turned out rather well. I hope she can abide her new husband and produce some…normal offspring. Before his wedding night I take him aside and give him some fatherly advice on marriage. He hasn’t had much experience with women so I want to make sure there are no problems. It also netted me an alliance I decided to test though ultimately would not join the war.
2012-12-06_00005.jpg

Both fall in short order. The only part of Sicily that is not mine is Napoli. Such it will remain…for now. The Byzantines are in revolt providing me with an opportunity to press some claims. The forces of the King of Anatolia and Bohemia are summoned up and dispatched to try to claim the territory before the revolt is over. Nothing comes of it but a much larger opportunity arrives. A distant relation of mine has a claim on the throne of France. I do not know what happened to him but their king suffered a terrible accident and is incapable.
2012-12-06_00006.jpg

*End of journal dated 23 of May, year of our Lord 1210*

“Nikolaus, do you know why I have taken it upon myself to personally see to your education?” The boy looks positively terrified. Only last week and he was being tutored by a priest and maybe one day inherit the minor county of Malta and now this week he finds himself in the most powerful court in the world meeting his Kaiser.
“N-n-no s-sir…” I have been informed of the boys stutter but politely ignore it.
“I always take a keen interest in the education of those who are going to rule.”
“B-b-but…” He starts but I cut him off. I may be patient but there are things I want to say still. He goes silent.
“For you see you possess a claim to the throne of France itself.” His eyes go wide at this. “And with their king crippled and the near constant rebellions the territory suffers we are going to exercise that claim. “Across the entirety of the Holy Roman Empire good noble soldiers are marching right now westwards to France. Do you know how many? More than 130,000 of them. Such an army has never before been seen in that part of the world.”
2012-12-06_00007.jpg

“In Brugge, Vermandois, Vivarais and Narbonne they are already fighting. The flash of swords, the tangle of men at war. Such a battle!” The boys eyes light up and I see a fire light up in him as I tell him of the battles that will be fought.
2012-12-06_00008.jpg

Then a great force under Duke Rupercht will move into Reims. His powerful force will lay siege to the lands there and with steel and fire take the territory quelling all resistance. He commands a force personally larger than the entirety of the French military. Oh how those Capet’s will tremble.”
2012-12-06_00009.jpg

Once Reims has fallen he will press on into Paris itself. The very heart of France. A grand place that you will rule soon.”
“I-I will?”
“Yes. You are a von Nordheim. Ours is a blessed family. We have the favor of God and we know the advantage of hard work. Together they are an unstoppable force. Just like the forces under the Duke’s command.”
2012-12-06_00010.jpg

“T-th-th…” He tries to talk and I put a hand on his shoulder. A kind smile to the young boy as I give him time. “Then what?” He finally says.
My son Trifon, as well as his newly arrived wife show up and I smile, waving them to come closer to talk with the youth. It was a long betrothal but the two are married finally.
2012-12-06_00011.jpg

“You see the southern part of France’s territory is more properly known as Aquitaine. That territory will see the disciplined march of the Empire’s forces next. Moving in from territory in Iberia and from Burgundy they will attack the scattered barely defended holdings there.”
2012-12-06_00012.jpg

“Eventually it will become clear that France is fallen. The power of the Capet family dealt a blow as they are forced to yield. A crown will be sent from the west by my most trusted generals and come to rest on your head. For you my dear boy are King of France.”
2012-12-06_00013.jpg

*Journal dated 28 of August, year of our Lord 1217
With how well things went in France I am pleased when my fifth and sixth son both come of age. I arrange for one to be betrothed to a Princess of Aragon while the other I set up with a betrothal to a Princess of England. Perhaps I can add both to the domain of the Empire soon enough. Scotland has once again lost the Holy Land. Imbeciles. I concentrate on the west still however. I desire Aragon. Enough so I launch another war there against the Muslim’s sending the French military now under my command that way. Under my leadership the territory is claimed. However there are matters at home that need dealing with. My son…has been dabbling under the skirts of mere chambermaids!
2012-12-06_00014.jpg

After much consideration though I give the newly claimed lands to my son Albrecht. I also usurp the title of the kingdom of Aquatain from the Muslims to hand off to a vassal. Now I can expand easily against the English held territories there. I am told though that while I dominate most of Christendom from the distant east a great force, a scourge of deadly horsemen, is on its way. An interesting tale to be sure.
2012-12-06_00015.jpg

I even am so pleased I create the kingdom of Italy. Though concentrating power into my vassal’s hands is normally against my better judgment the man I give it to is very content and loyal. I do not mind giving power there. My youngest finally of age I marry to a Princess of Ruthenia. I also finally manage to unify Sicily completely under my power. Well my through my vassals it is my power. Finally though I do achieve what I have been striving for many years. I am able to claim Aragon as a kingdom. I grant the crown to my grandson who rules in Valencia. The Holy Roman Empire is the largest most powerful land in the entire known world. Not a moment too soon either. The Mongols have arrived.
2012-12-06_00017.jpg

2012-12-06_00016.jpg

*End of journal dated 28 of August, year of our Lord 1217*

Wow a great AAR kept me coming back for more every time! Keep it up

Thank you very much. Hopefully the Golden Horde doesn't crush me later. I had a Brittania game going where they wiped out the HRE....

Thank you very much. Hopefully the Golden Horde doesn't crush me later. I had a Brittania game going where they wiped out the HRE....

I think you should be fine with that size of army, you may only need to use the ship trick sometimes (there's no attrition whatsoever at sea, meaning you can indeed have your 200.000 German soldiers waiting there until a Mongol stack moves into a province with a port; loading or unloading takes 3 days, so just calculate not to arrive soon enough for Mongols to cancel the move order or late enough to allow them to be winning too hard before you disembark; you can also do this as somebody else's ally, e.g. somebody who has mostly ports).

I think you should be fine with that size of army, you may only need to use the ship trick sometimes (there's no attrition whatsoever at sea, meaning you can indeed have your 200.000 German soldiers waiting there until a Mongol stack moves into a province with a port; loading or unloading takes 3 days, so just calculate not to arrive soon enough for Mongols to cancel the move order or late enough to allow them to be winning too hard before you disembark; you can also do this as somebody else's ally, e.g. somebody who has mostly ports).
I always start moving my troops when the enemy troops are exactly 1 day away from arrival to a county. Shouldn't be too hard for you, Bog Mod :p

I always start moving my troops when the enemy troops are exactly 1 day away from arrival to a county. Shouldn't be too hard for you, Bog Mod :p

Well, I've done that a couple of times to cause the opponent armies to take some attrition...

Egypt is the greatest Muslim power in the world. They dominate all across Africa. My young wife Eufemie thinks I should do something of it. And after careful consideration I agree. The territory of Africa will be liberated from the Muslim and I will force them back to just the central part of Egypt. My soldiers begin to move towards the coasts as I launch an attack on the duchy of Cyrenaica. I send word to my allies about the invasion. Georgia, England and Denmark all offer their aid in limiting the power of the Egyptians. My tactics are simple enough. Move my vast armies to the shore and them take them by boat to North Africa and land.
2012-12-14_00001_zpsebfc2540.jpg

I manage to land several crushing assaults on the Fatimid forces. Even one of their most massive armies of nearly 40,000 soldiers I am able to best as reinforcements are finally carried by ship right to the battles. Ultimately the Sultan yields the territory to me. It is not as impressive as I had hoped. Rather undeveloped really. No matter though as that can be changed with time.
2012-12-14_00002_zps77345232.jpg

So I give to my dear son Theodorich the land. He shall rule it well I am sure. He may not inherit the Empire but he will be a powerful and noble duke and turn the land to Christianity. With the Fatimids reeling I am given an opportunity in the rest of Africa. I launch an attack against in Kabylia. A mere one year old Emir rules a territory there. While I do this it seems that my victory over the Fatimids created a power vacuum which has led to them being replaced by the AbuBakrid family. The Ruthenians grant a castle to the Teutonic knights to help them hold out against pagan eastern aggression. Still not a matter for me as I give the new lands claimed to another of my children.
2012-12-14_00004_zpsa2a961b9.jpg

My wife had been fighting an illness for some time. Yet my doctors could not save her. However as much as I wish to grieve a Kaiser must have his Kaiserin. This time I pick a young princess. My stalwart allies in Ruthenia agree to let me marry their Princess and the heir to the throne of Ruthenia. Well if any children come of our union at least. I am getting on in years so who knows if any children will come of this. Her father is only 37 though so I expect him to still have a son who will inherit.
2012-12-14_00005_zpscfb4f818.jpg

Actually the AbuBakrid taking over Egypt sets me up for some opportunities. The have a quarter of the military might that the Fatimid’s did. This makes their westernmost territory in Africa vulnerable to my forces once more. I send four time their total army in forces from Greece, France and Italy. Further striking against Tunis quickly lets me take advantage of an earlier invasion on their part. The defending garrisons are not yet at full strength and in less than a year I quickly overrun the whole place.
2012-12-14_00006_zps19169bb1.jpg

My dear son Norbert, though he is a hunchback, has nonetheless with his wife given birth to two sons. I am very pleased about this. In fact pleased enough to grant him the territory my soldiers have won and to put him on the throne as King of Africa. The entirety of North Africa now, at least those lands under the rule of the Holy Roman Empire are managed by my family. Every single county and duchy and kingdom. A pleasing turn of events to be sure. Perhaps all this warmongering is helping to put fire and life into me as I manage to get my young lovely wife with child.
2012-12-14_00007_zps9b8d8c07.jpg

I am encouraged after long talk with my spymaster about a simple matter. Lothgaria he says. It would work well if we unified it under a single leader. A single leader that was of my own family. If I slay one particular woman I can marry my niece to the man who will inherit Luxembourg. Then I make the man king and when he passes on the throne goes to his son whose children will be of my dynasty. I was against it at first until my wife talked me into it. Though she is a good woman I worry she enjoys the idea a little too much. Of course while doing this she gives birth to my daughter. My first daughter after many sons.
2012-12-14_00008_zps8c6c9363.jpg

The first plan for the woman is a snake.
2012-12-14_00009_zps25cb5241.jpg

And the plan goes off without a hitch, leading to her death and then a marriage in short order. That all done I follow through and make the Duke a King.
2012-12-14_00011_zps73550c1f.jpg

With my wife pregnant again I work to further unify the African shores for my sons. I even go so far as to put to use those claims I have on Byzantine lands. I spent a great deal of gold and time on those and I will not let them go to waste. Honestly the old Basilius rules a dead empire. He can scarcely gather up 10,000 soldiers. It is sad to see them fall so far but I do not let things slip past me. As a sign of the changing dynamics no one considers Greece part of the Byzantium Empire anymore.
2012-12-15_00002_zps2b3b3abb.jpg

Yet while I am securing our borders and developing newly conquered lands the Muslim’s who have been pushed back out of Africa decide to push back. A Jihad is called. Honestly that doesn’t really worry me. The Shia Muslims attacking only have a couple emirs and no great Sultans at their side.
2012-12-15_00003_zps63681ce7.jpg

Yet as the war goes on tragedy strikes. My…my son and heir, Trifon is dead.
2012-12-15_00005_zps7508d8ee.jpg

It is…hard to decide what to do next. I go into seclusion in fact. Let my ministers handle the war. I have lost my son and heir. I am lucky though. Georg, my son who rules in Kabylia in Africa steps in. Taking over the day to day operations it becomes clear around the court that he will take over when I pass on. Yet I suppose when God takes away he also gives. The very first battle of the Jihad and look who is brought before me.
2012-12-15_00006_zps8edcbf30.jpg

The of course ends the Jihad.
2012-12-15_00008_zps3a45e719.jpg

Tis the season for Steam sales and other distractions.