• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BogMod

Field Marshal
108 Badges
Jul 10, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Age of Wonders
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
Ok! Time for something a little more…German. This time going for one of the dukes of the HRE. Never played as the vassal to someone before. The approach for this is going to be a mix of two things. Glimpses into the events in a first person sort of style as they happen and also recorded entries in a journal. Journal entries will be dated while in person events usually not but happening sometime between two points in the journal. Custom character though I kept the family name and crest.

*Journal entry dated for September 15th, year of our Lord 1066*
My name is Sieghard von Nordheim. I rule as the duke of Bavaria. I come from a long line of Northeim counts and this year in 1066 I was granted the duchy of Bavaria by the dowager Kaiserin Agnes de Poitou the mother of our current Kaiser, the noble Heinrich the 4th of the Holy Roman Empire. I am unmarried and recently divorced. My first wife gave me no children at all and the Pope was kind enough to let me escape marriage to a woman who was surely barren. I am as all dukes should be a loyal follower to our young Kaiser. My ambitions are small things really. All I really want is a wife and children, the continuation and prosperity of the von Nordheim name and success of Bavaria. I am of course a good and honest Catholic man as well and in these troubled times I understand we might have to take action against the Muslim’s in the Holy Land.
2012-08-07_00001.jpg

My duchy is amongst the strongest in the Empire and I personally have 9 counties under my rule though I only rule the county Obeyberern directly. I have an acceptable council. I do wish that some of them were a little more capable though but that is no matter. In fact they should all be arriving now for our first proper meeting.
*End of Journal entry dated for September 15th, year of our Lord 1066*

2012-08-07_00002.jpg

2012-08-07_00003.jpg

“Gentlemen! It is good to see you all made it. I know well how the weather can be here during the fall months.” As if to lend weight to my words we begin to hear the pattern of rain on the shutters.

I close the book I had been writing in, a piece of velum to mark my place. Here in my home in Munchen I have set up one of the rooms for meetings in private with my council. The family coat of arms hangs behind me as I sit at the head of the table. I stand and gesture to them indicating where each of the five men should sit. At my right hand is Count Burengar von Sulzbach of Nuremburg who serves as my Chancellor. To my left hand sits Count Otto von Wittlesbach of Neiderbayern. The two highest ranked men in my council they hold those esteemed seats. At the far end sits Bishop Berthold of Freising who serves as my Court Chaplain. The other seats held by Philip von Dachau and Stefan von Adechs who hold the positions of Steward and Spymaster respectively. Once they have all sat so do I as a final gesture of respect to my new council.

“I know that most of you have only known me for a little while but I trust that together we can do much. A duke is made great by the men who choose to follow him. God willing we shall make Bavaria strong and the Kaiser will shower us with praise and glory.” I have always been a master of oratory and they hang on my words nodding along. “Now then gentlemen what do you think is the first thing we should do?”

“If I might be so bold Lord, why not seek the make the Duchy of Tyrol? It lies unclaimed for now though thanks to the dowager Kaiserin you govern enough territory you could make it such.” Count Berengar is the first to speak on the matter and raises a good point.

“The County of Chur is held by Prince-Bishop Thietmar who governs it for Duke Rudolf von Reinfelden of Swabia. You would have good reason to try to take control of Chur if you restored the Duchy of Tyrol but I am not convinced that we could best Rudolf for the land with our current forces.” Count Otto is the next to speak and builds on what Berengar has said.
“Perhaps something to worry about in the future then.” I file away this information in my head for something to look into later but to leave alone for now.

“Lord, the coffers are not exactly overflowing. Perhaps I shall see about that?” Philipp suggests. He has a large heavy ledger with him with numerous little marks in black or red ink. More black than red it looks like from what I can see. I give him a nod of assent to his suggestion.

“And mayhap I should travel to Rome to speak of your wisdom and piety with the Pope?” Suggests Berthold. To be perfectly honest I don’t like the man. He is cruel and arbitrary and really the only good thing he has going for him is that he doesn’t sleep around though as a priest really that should be expected. I don’t trust him to exactly promote my interests in Rome. If I send him I might end up excommunicated!

“Ahh perhaps next year. I had a special project in mind for you actually. Everyone knows that the greatest works of art and culture have been inspired by God and supported by the church. I would like to continue that tradition.” I say with a smile to him quickly hiding any of my real thoughts behind my charm. The flattery seems to work as he just smiles and nods.

“Have you given any thought about who you plan to marry Lord?” This is from Berengar. In some ways the man is much like me. We both have an appreciation of the female form more than the Church approves of. “There are quite a few princesses who may be inclined to accept a proposal of marriage from you as well. Perhaps one of the Princesses from the Catholic lands in Iberia?”
“Actually while I was at the Kaiser’s court this summer I ran into a woman I have had my eye on. Gudrun von Merseburg.”
2012-08-07_00004.jpg

“I admit I am not familiar with her Lord. However if that is what you wish I can make the arrangements immediately.” There is a dubious look on his face about my suggestion but honestly the other potential brides are far too distant for any claims they may get to have any reasonable way of me acting on or passing on to my sons to be. Besides I have spoken with her a few times and she has a wit and brilliance that at least I should enjoy my time with her.

“Count Otto, if you could please put your efforts to work with the soldiers? If I do act on the matter of Tyrol I will want my soldiers in top form. Count Berengar if you can work with the nobles of the land on my behalf? Convince them that though I am new to this rule I shall rule justly.” Both men give nods and with that dealt with I indicate for them all to leave. All but for Stefan and myself. Alone with my Spymaster we have things to discuss that should not be done in public.

“And what of me my lord?” He asks, guessing rightly there is a scheme in my mind he wants me to act on.
“What advice do you have for me?” I ask as I rise and move to one wall where a map of the Duchy is hanging on the wall.

“Honestly I really do think you should expand your personal demesne. The count of Kempten is not well liked. He is known to be a coward and cruel that also spends too much time chasing skirts rather than ruling. You should revoke his title and take it for your own. If you forgive the suggestion.” Suggesting that I strip a loyal man of his title isn’t a wise political move for most but there is a reason we are having this talk in private.

“I shall take that under due advisement. Thank you Stefan. Work to ensure no one wants to see me toppled from here for the time if you would.” He rises and nods, bowing respectfully to me before he leaves and once more I am alone.

*Journal date for the 24 of September, year of our Lord 1066*
I am no longer a single man. Yesterday Gudrun and I were wed. Berthold did a surprisingly acceptable job with the marriage ceremony. I did not collect any duty from my vassals to pay for the marriage for I want their respect right now. Besides it does not cost coin to do what we did last night. I can only hope a son comes quickly to us. I imagine she does as well. No doubt she would prefer to study works of philosophy and religion rather than perform her wifely duties each night. Well no match is perfect. Still I am charmed by her and pleased so far about just sitting and talking with her.
2012-08-07_00005.jpg

King Saloman Arpad of Hungary is off to a rough start. Stefan has brought me word that the Duke of Nyitra is trying to depose and replace him. I have also penned to the Kaiser my own vote that we not raise the authority of the crown of the Holy Roman Empire. I must admit a personal preference for freedom here and hope that the Kaiser does not hold this against me.
Furthermore I have been able to find someone to replace that fool Berthold. Count Dietpold Rapotonen of Passau has come to me with the request that he take over as Court Chaplain a request I very quickly accepted.
*end of Journal dated for the 24 of September, year of our Lord 1066*

I am wearing my finest clothes as I arrive in the great hall in Nassau. They call my name as I enter, listing my titles. Duke of Bavaria. Count of Obeyberern. Chancellor of the Holy Roman Empire. Though I keep my face calm I am nervous. The eyes of the court of the most powerful secular ruler in all the world are on me as I approach Kaiser Heinrich and go to a knee.

“You may rise Chancellor Sieghard.” He says and I rise and move to my place in his court. Today is merely a formality. The young Kaiser though a kind man is more interested in his young wife and prefers to keep things public where he can keep an eye on everyone. Paranoid but when you are the second most powerful man in the world, second only to the Pope, perhaps you have good reason.

“Ahh Duke Fratislav.” I find myself beside the Marshall of the Empire, a firm shake of his hand. He wears a gleaming breastplate and the only one allowed to carry a sword so close to the Kaiser. A Bohemian man we are not and we are not enemies we just know each other and now have to work together. "As always a pleasure to meet with you.”

“Duke Sieghard, I am not surprised that the Kaiser requested you attend him here. You are well known for your eloquence.”
“As you in turn are known on the battlefield. Your wife is well I trust? And the children?”
“All good thank you for asking. I heard that you got married not long ago yourself no?”
“Yes Gudrun is my wife. Barely had any time with her before the Kaiser requested I serve him as his Chancellor. We only married in September.”
“And by December you were working in the court of the Kaiser himself. Seems the favor of the dowager Kaiserin still leads you to high places.”
“I only hope I prove worthy of that favor.”
“Of course.”
2012-08-07_00006.jpg

*Journal dated 26 of February, year of our Lord 1067*
I find myself in command of some soldiers for the Kaiser. I suspect that his Marshal does not wish the Kaiser success. He has no heirs so were he to die me and the other Elector Counts would have to pick a new leader and from what I can gather that would likely be Duke Ordolf of Saxony. A man that I know Duek Fratislav supports for the position. The Marshal suggested that the Kaiser support Count Mariano Torchitorio of Arborea against the Muslims who invade Sardinia. That is all well and good but my Spymaster sends word about how the war goes already. We will not be able to make it there in time to make a difference I fear.
Still the Kaiser is my liege. If he says I march with the troops then I march with the troops and that is the end of that. I just wish that these things didn’t make it harder for me to find time with my dear Gudrun. At least when I was at the Kaiser’s court I could have her visit for intimate moments. That will not be an option when I am with the troops. I wouldn’t want her near them anyways. Those stories about soldiers are generally true. Further I should see about hiring a proper cook this food for the military is abysmal.
*End of journal dated 26 of February, year of our Lord 1067*

2012-08-07_00007.jpg

“Sieghard? Sieghard?” I can hear someone calling for me. Gudrun in fact by the voice. Now this is suprising I did not expect her to come see me so soon after her last visit. Even as I am rising up from my desk in my chambers in Nassau she sweeps on inside and runs to my arms.

“Gudrun what is it?” I can’t keep the surprise from my voice at this. She never runs to my arms. I can’t help but fear something has gone terribly wrong. The loss of a parent perhaps? Trouble in my court? Perhaps one of the men at my court is trying to cuckold me!

“Dear Sieghard…I bring joyous, joyous news. I am with child.” She beams at me. We have both been wanting children. She knows I want a son and I know she wants a daughter. My eyes go wide as my smile and I lift and spin her.

“That..that is wonderful! Amazing! Thank God for this blessing!” I clutch her tightly to me before I kiss her. The world fades around us and for a time there is nothing but me and her.
2012-08-07_00008.jpg

*Journal dated for 20 of June, year of our Lord 1067*
My life is full of ups and downs. I find myself imprisoned by the Kaiser. His spymaster, Baron Welf Welf of Altdorf has whispered lies into his ear. I was accused of making passes at his wife. Why would I do that? I have my own wife who is pregnant with my child. What need have I to go chasing anyone else’s? I am an innocent man yet here I find myself locked away.

At least I am given pen and paper and my journal. Though falsely accused it isn’t like I was plotting against the Kaiser so he has been merciful at least in that regard. Still I must find a way out of here. How can I govern my land’s from a prison cell? And what of the Kaiser? Some fool will have to replace me and they will not do nearly as good a job as I. Tomorrow when the light down here is brightest I shall pen a note to the Kaiser to beg for his mercy and for him to release me. Hopefully my Steward in Bavaria will not have to be my regent for long.
*End of journal dated 20 of June, year of our Lord 1067*

2012-08-07_00009.jpg

Wondeful AAR! I will follow this! And hopefully the Duke is freed soon!

I love the event where the emperor imprisons you for having a lustful stare at someone's wife :)

Speaking of which how did Mariano Torchitorio become a count? lol, dumb question but in my di Lucca game that guy is a member of the gentry and just a lowly member of the court...always find it odd how Paradox throws out paradoxes at us players like that.

Other than that always fun seeing more AARs taking place in the HRE, so good luck with that Bog.

In my version of the game he starts off as the count in charge of Arborea. Yeah, I was pretty surprised about getting imprisoned. Me! His chancellor!

Weird, guess there's two Mariano Torchitorios running around in the world gotta love CKII's randomly generated courtier names tends to the repeat thing I guess. But I had that event fire off playing the Premyslids of Bohemia on the demo lol it was quite the entertaining sequence of events!!!

Will be looking forward to future updates.

“You understand of course why I had to do it.” The Kaiser and I are walking as alone as anyone ever gets with him. His guards 5 paces behind and before us so we can speak quietly. “The Welf family has served the Holy Roman Empire for centuries. He is also my spymaster I cannot afford to just dismiss his claims. Also Sieghard your reputation does you no good here. Everyone knows how your eyes linger and hands wander.”

“Of course my Liege. I was treated well at least and release after a few weeks shows your wisdom. You appease your spymaster while only having me held for a short time. I shall try to take these lessons to heart and curb my base desires. A visit to the church I think is in order.” I don’t begrudge the Kaiser over all of this. Afterall it was that damn Spymaster Baron Welf. Oh how I would like to see him dead.

“You may return to your Duchy. Maybe soon I will once again call you to my court to take up your old work as my chancellor.”
“You do me a great honor Kaiser. Again thank you for your wisdom and mercy.” He gives a single imperious nod and I bow low as he and his men continue on while I go to pack. At least I might be home in time to see my child born.
2012-08-07_00012.jpg

*Journal dated 22 of November, year of our Lord 1067*
The wound suffered in battle has finally healed. At least the scar can be hidden under my clothes though my poor wife must suffer seeing it. Perhaps I will just always wear a shirt when anyone will see me. At least I feel healthier and stronger now that I needn’t worry about infections. Sardinia remains an interesting point for the Empire. My soldiers and I have been summoned up to wage war on that land that was lost this year.
2012-08-07_00013.jpg

2012-08-07_00014.jpg

I am honestly very mixed feelings about all of this. It has to do with my son. You see, he was born remarkably small. He barely cried and some feared he wouldn’t live through his first night. I mean I am happy that I have a son but at the same time what father doesn’t want their son to come into this world with a powerful set of longs crying out that they live? Gudrun is worried too. Young Dietrich is our firstborn after all and no matter what happens he will always hold a place in our heart for that reason.
2012-08-07_00015.jpg

I shall be away from Bavaria for a time now while we move to the shores of the Mediterranean to wait for ships to carry us over. I pray that God lets me return home this time around without new scars. The work we will do is good I cannot deny. Every piece of land taken away from the infidels is one more land in the hands of God’s followers after all. My Spymaster assures me though that the enemy cannot match the power of the Holy Roman Empire and that we should expect victory. How he finds out how many soldiers other lands have is beyond me.
*End of journal dated 22 of November, year of our Lord 1067*

*Journal dated 20 of Augest, year of our lord 1071*
The war is finally over and I have come back to my home. The war began in 1067 and has gone on far far too long. It was obvious in 1068 that the Holy Roman Empire was going to be the winner yet the infidels managed to keep the forces of the Kaiser occupied there for many months longer. I have no taste for battle. I mean I am not a coward I don’t run from it but I have no interest in seeking it out and certainly not minor battles like this.

I also have more children. With my second son and his older brother are as different as night and day. I remember reading the letters about him while I was away in Sardinia. My marshal insists that the boy has all the makings of a great soldier and I should be very proud. Another letter received from my spymaster and steward both suggest that I should give serious thought to having him as my heir instead of my firstborn. Folkhard is his name after my great great grandfather who was a rather famous warrior.
2012-08-07_00017.jpg

My third son is named Eckhard. With three sons I think my line is ensure for at least one more generation. Gudrun does complain though that she has on daughters with which to raise and bond with.
2012-08-07_00018.jpg

My new Court Chaplain is also settling in well. My last one sadly died due to stress and his replacement as chosen by the Pope is far more talented. Talented enough I have sent him to Rome to earn favor with the Pope.
*End of journal dated 20 of August, year of our Lord 1071*

“It has been 5 years since I took over and this is only as large as the treasury has grown? This is simply unbelieveable. At this rate maybe by the turn of the century I can buy myself a new carpet for the main hall!” I am in a bit of a mood today and it is coming out against my council.
“I am sorry Lord but…this is how things are. We can do nothing to change it.” My steward confesses, an incompetent man honestly.
“Well there are some actions you can take but they are drastic.” Count Otto says speaking up. “The count of Kempten has been replaced by his son. The boy is a coward and no coward should rule in Bavaria.”
“Go on.”
“Revoke his title. Just strip it from him.” I watch him. Ambitious man might want to strip my own titles for me soon enough. Still there are opportunities in doing so. As I sit and consider the others start to argue about if it is right or not. I lift my hand and call for them to be quiet.

“We will do it. A few enemies now does not matter. Those loyal and noble must rise up while those weak must be expunged to keep Bavaria strong.” And with that I do two things. I spend some of that gold I have been trying to save up to expand the village around my castle to earn more income. The second is I send my Chancellor to Kempten to work on building me a claim I can act on since for now the laws do not permit me to just revoke things.

*Journal dated 4 of October, year of our Lord 1071*
I have made a choice. A dangerous choice but one that I can’t turn back on once I have started it. The laws in the Holy Roman Empire now permit me to take titles from those under me without proper claims to them. Though it makes me enemies amongst my followers I can do it. I am going to use this power now to make it possible for my children to have something more than a single county to their name to rule. I have revoked the county of Tirol from Albrecht. I also took the county of Innsbruck. Finally the man who was my chancellor earned a Duke title for himself. I am going to go to war and reclaim the piece of Bavaria that he took with him when he claimed became my peer instead of vassal.
*End of journal dated 4 of October, year of our Lord 1071*

2012-08-07_00019.jpg

“So I hear that you are fighting with one of the other dukes in the Empire.” I am alone with the Kaiser now. He has gotten over his paranoia at least and I have the chance for privacy at leaset.
“I am my Liege. Nurnburg is part of Bavaria. I must reclaim it.” This can’t be why I was summoned to his capitol though I think.
“You fought well in Sardinia. Wounded in the line of battle even. My generals spoke well of you.”
“You are too kind sire.”
“Nonesense. Still now that we have that little matter done do you recall what I spoke of with you last?”
“Of course how could I forget? You said I might be your chancellor one day again.”
“I know that was years ago but now I give you that chance once more. Do you want it?”
“Of course sire! It would be a great honor.”
“Then once you are done with matters in Bavaria return here understood?”
“Of course my Kaiser, thank you, thank you!”
2012-08-07_00020.jpg

*Journal dated 7 of May, year of our Lord 1072*
Tuscany is in revolt. This news arrives the same time word that my wife is carrying our fourth child now. The Duchess Matilda de Contessa is now fighting to become independent from the Holy Roman Empire. No one likes a traitor. Still I am busy with my own private matters or I would raise up soldiers to ride with the Emperor against them. I have no doubt that the Empire will survive and win. I also have no doubt that I will survive. Whatever initial wins she has will eventually be ended by our Kaisers superior numbers.
*End of journal dated 7 of May, year of our Lord 1072*

I walk the ground of the castle of Nurnburg. The duke of Brabant, my ex-chancellor, Berengar, has given me the county and gone west to his new home. My second son is with me as we walk. He is only 3 but he is growing so well. His older brother remains at home. Dietrich is almost of age to begin his education and yet he remains sickly and weak. I worry that he will not reach maturity with his poor constitution. Even more sad is that our fourth child seems as weak as the eldest. Young Hartwig we decided to call him.
2012-08-07_00021.jpg

I think that Gudrun blames herself that our children have turned out like this. She spends a great deal of time at Church praying for a daughter and for the health of our sons. Maybe it is a punishment for me instead. For my lustful ways. Maybe just a quirk of fate I don’t know.

“See there son, that is where I fought with the captain of the Duke’s personal guard.” I point and smile. I talk lightly, Folkhard too young to see through me to the heavy thoughts behind the smile. “Your father’s sword this way and that as I pushed him back and knocked the sword from his hand. Than with a single mighty swing of my mailed fist I knocked him out cold.”
Folkhard is suitably impressed and I let that take the worries from me. The Tuscany rebellions will soon be over. The Countess is losing hard. I shall be in the Kaiser’s court to help advise him and my personal wealth finally is growing at a more reasonable place thanks to personally managing four counties.

*Journal dated 8 of October, 1075*
The rebellion was put down. The Duchess currently sits in prison. My rank has grown once more. I am not the duke of Tyrol as well as Bavaria. Tomorrow I plan to send word to the Duke of Swabia. By my rights as the Duke of Tyrol two of his vassals should properly belong to me. The county of St. Gallen and the county of Chur. By all proper rights those lands should be ruled by vassals who follow me. I have a military edge over him now after the losses he suffered from an internal battle against one of his counts.
2012-08-07_00024.jpg

I have also found myself somewhat of a scholar in the past year. Working as chancellor for the Kaiser gives me plenty of chances to read as I travel around the land by coach. The world has changed some in the past 10 years. Hungary remains rife with internal war. Norway and Sweden the same. The other nations seem little changed. The only thing I find surprising is that the Monophysite King of Abyssinia has managed to unify all the lands south of Egypt in Africa under his banner.
2012-08-07_00023.jpg

*End of Journal dated 8 of October, year of our Lord 1075*

“Folkhard come sit with me.” In the peace of the garden in Nassau I sit down with my second eldest.
“What is it father?” Both he and his elder brother I have been personally tutoring of late. Yet with success in ensuring my control over the duchy of Tyrol has come a chance on succession laws. We have turned to elective laws to decide an heir over simple gravelkind.
“Now I love you and all your brothers I truly do but there are times son when you must make decisions about the future. We have noble obligations. I have already spoken with the other counts. You will be my heir.
“But…but what of Dietrich?” I am touched he thinks of his brother in this.
“I love him to. You know though that he isn’t healthy. I fear that the stresses of rulership would kill him.” I reach out and put my hand on his shoulder, a smile down to him. “I want the best for all my sons but I also want the best for the family. Not just me but my children, and your children…” His face scrunches up. Still at that age where girls are the enemy. “And children’s children, and so on.”
“Ok dad. Don’t worry. I will be the best duke ever!”
“Good work my boy! Now let us go to Church. One can never have too much of that in your life.”
2012-08-07_00025.jpg

“Ok dad. Don’t worry. I will be the best duke ever!”

Waiting to see if he can fulfill this particular statement. ;)

He makes me so proud! *wipes a tear from my eye* And yes, curious to see if he can live up to his childish boasts.

Very curious to see how the little one will turn out.

By the way I found out that my Mariano Torchitorio was actually Count of Arborea or wherever as well, but he was living in exile in Lucca after he got had by those pesky Muslims ;) Guess that was something I missed early in my game, no wonder why that family is always being ambitious and plotting in my game.

Another mystery of the ancient world solved.

Yeah made me curious when I found him in your AAR and had to go digging ;)

Awesome that it sounds like Abyssinia is doing decent at the start though, I fear that won't last very long.

“Lord Otto, a pleasure to meet with you.” The good Duke of Meissan, Otto von Weimer the second, is visiting me at the family estates in Oberbeyern. The air is chill with late fall upon us as the elderly statesman shakes his heavy cloak a bit and pulls it tighter around himself.
“Chancellor Seighard, thank you for seeing me in such short notice. It is so rare to catch you at home the Kaiser keeps you very busy I hear.” The old man is missing an arm, lost in battles for the Empire and has arrived with heavy guard. He goes nowhere without heavy guard. Of course I myself am not that far from 50 either but at least I have all my hair still!
2012-08-09_00001.jpg

“Quite so. I feel a little pity for my dear wife. She is stuck at home with most of the boys while I am off and about with our two eldest.” I smile graciously, servants moving around us to help bring his things in. The duke plans to stay the weekend. “Folkhard is growing up strong and well though for the moment Dietrich is confined to his rooms. He has a fever. The doctors have suggested leeches to cure him of his ill humors.”
“Bah! Leeches…damnable things. Only thing worse than a leech is a merchant. A leech will stop when it is full but a merchant well…” He is irritable in his old age but were I in his place I would be as well. His son and heir is but three years of age. He likely won’t live to see him become a man let alone be a grandfather.
“There can be no argument there.” We move into my home and go to my study. Books and scrolls line the shelves as I spend a great deal of time here engrossed in reading about philosophy or history. “Can I offer you drink sir?”
“A little wine might help take the chill from the air thank you.”

The fire is fed into a proper blaze as we recline in the great sitting chairs, each of us with a goblet of wine. “Our territories only barely touch and we have had no conflicts in court or on the battlefield. I admit since you arrived I have been unable to figure out what brought you out of your home to visit.”
“Ahh…” He suddenly grins, the old man taking some delight in outwitting the younger generations. “Well say whatever you will about our Kaiser we elect our rulers here in the Empire. I will not vote for his son.”
I lift a brow, surprised at this. “Your own son? A touching move from father to son but I could not support such a thing.”
“My son? You aren’t as wise as you think Sieghard. You have my vote.” He says with a somewhat crazed grin over his goblet. As for me I have no aims to the throne. Still at the moment I am third in line for it.”
2012-08-09_00002.jpg

*Journal dated 29 of December, year of our Lord 1079*
Young Friedrich, the boy count of Kempton is all grown up. He has a head for numbers that one and I have appointed him as my Steward. Perhaps he can make the ledgers work better than his predecessor. Dietrich survived his cold. I was rather worried there for a moment and it seems the experience has taught him to hold nothing back in his opinions. He is honest, brutally so at times now and I fear such honesty would never serve him well in the delicate arena of the Kaiser’s court. Folkhard though for all that is going to come his way has learned to be very humble. It makes me very proud indeed. My wife does worry about Dietrich and Hartwig a great deal. Their ill health has long troubled her both and to help assuage her worries a little I have put Hartwig’s education in her hands. It keeps him close where she can mind his health. The Kaiser has taken all of Sardinia. I had no part in this battle I was too busy serving him as Chancellor this time. The Kaiser had me in Chalons to find some personal claim for him on the territory instead.

Phillip von Dachau, who had served as my Steward is once again on my council. He serves much more ably as my Chancellor than he ever did as Steward. Even with the matter of being fired from my council there are no serious hard feelings between us and we have gotten along splendidly during council meetings. Once he is back from fighting in Sardinia for the Kaiser I shall put him quickly to work making a few claims for myself I think. Still all that past news pales compared to some personal news. In the early hours of this morning my family has once more grown. Heilwiva, my wonderful baby daughter. Gudrun is healthy and oh so very pleased about this. The child is healthy and she finally has a girl. I admit I am fairly pleased as well. Each child is a blessing from God and I shall be sure to offer a little more up to the Church this Sunday in thanks.
*End of journal dated 29 of December, year of our Lord 1079*

2012-08-09_00003.jpg

“A letter from home? Thank you young lad.” I am at the Emperor’s court at the moment. He has moved it to Leiningen south of Nassau. There is nothing much going on. The Emperor prefers the climate I believe which is why the capitol was moved. I break the wax seal to read, murmering softly aloud to myself.

“Dearest father. Things are going good at home. Mother is teaching me my letters and I wrote this letter.” The words are legible though there are several places on the paper where fine sand has been used to correct a mistake with the ink. No doubt Hartwig and Gudrun wrote this together. “Last week my new baby brother was born. His name is Erich.” My smile widening at this. I had known for some time she was with child. “Mother says that she is feeling well and that God is very kind to keep blessing us like this. Also the Count Dietpold has passed on to be with God. His son is only two years old. The Marshal of Passau is his regent she says. Philipp has gone there. Mother says you will know what that means. Mom says that Farkhold will be your heir. Why can’t I be? Is it because I get sick a lot? Mother says that isn’t the reason but I think it is.” There are more errors here. I think this last part the child has written without her oversight. Ambitious boy.
2012-08-09_00006.jpg

“Sincerely your son Hartwig von Nordheim.” I close the letter up. If Philip is in Passau that must mean she wisely acted to have him try to engineer a claim there. It will be easier to do so against a youth. The other counts of the duchies will not support him in all likelihood. Hartwig could be trouble if he keeps up like this. It bears watching.
“Is everything allright at home?” Comes the voice of the Kaiser and I turn and bow as he speaks to me.
“Very much so sire. My wife has given me another son.”
“Hah! Good man. You are two up on me now. Come now dear you can’t the Duke of Bavaria beat us can you?” He says with gentle ribbing to his wife. All the castle knows that those two go at it most nights. Maybe that is why moved for thicker walls.
“It is just God being kind to an old man. Great Kaiser you are only 30 and with 5 children already to you while I am nearing my 50th birthday. I think this is yet another competition my Lord shall win.” He smiles at my words and life goes back to normal at the court. I shall have to pen a return letter to my son and wife each soon.
2012-08-09_00007.jpg

*Journal dated 9 of June, year of our Lord 1084*
I do hope the Kaiser does not forget what I have helped him with. Not so long ago I agreed to help him with a scheme to expand his personal demesne. Finally the whole matter came to fruition as he forced Duke Gottfried Wigeriche of Lower Lorraine and Duke of Koln to give up the county of Breda to the Kaiser. I like many others of the Kaiser’s court were swift to help him in this. In lowered voices we call him the Hunchback Duke.
2012-08-09_00008.jpg

2012-08-09_00009.jpg

The years do seem to weigh more heavily on me now. I think what I miss most though is my wonderfully dark head of hair I used to have. Well the grey is at least distinguished looking I suppose. I have my health too. Still at least I have all my hair! I know more than a few men my age who don’t have any. The tournament the Kaiser had was quite the event. Never before have I seen so many noble warriors in a single place for a single purpose. This will be the talk of the Empire for years to come. I doubt anyone will be able to come close to matching it. Perhaps the King of France but even then I don’t truly think so. I did not come home as the greatest warrior in the land nor the least. Gudrun was dreadfully worried for me the whole time.
2012-08-09_00010.jpg

Yet the events of the past years pale before something much greater. As I write I am engaged in a struggle with the Duke of Swabia over that last piece of land within my Duchy of Tyrol. The county of Chur should be one of my vassals. Still my investments had been paying off in other ways. Not only am I winning the struggle with him I have managed to find enough documents and gold to support the title of the Kingdom of Bavaria. Granted the title of Duke by the dowager Empress years ago I have with the grace of God capitalized and grown my lands.
2012-08-09_00011.jpg

It has put one small matter into an awkward position though. For some strange reason succession in the Kingdom will be that of Gavelkind. This puts my eldest Dietrich first in line for the Throne instead of Folkhard. I can only pray that with the blessing of God I can live long enough to change things back to Elective succession. As much as I love Dietrich and I truly do I just do not think he will be a good King.
2012-08-09_00012.jpg

*End of journal dated 9 of June, year of our Lord 1084*

“King Sieghard.” Ahh, that does have a nice ring to it. The crown is quite nice too. I am holding court now as the first and only King of the Holy Roman Empire. Highest of the Kaiser’s vassals. My Marshall, Count Otto is speaking with me. “I must say sire that we all believed in you.” I smile to him. His words might even be true. He has served me faithfully for some time. “Though I think I have an idea what you should do first with your new authority.”
“Oh? What is that?”
“My Lord has always been a scholar of history. Traditionally the bounds of the Kingdom would extend east and south of here. There are others who should serve you instead of the Kaiser directly.”
“You raise a good point. So who my dear Marshall do you suggest is first?”
“The Duke of Austria, lord Leopold von Babanberg should be first to be brought to your side.” I nod my head in agreement to his words.
2012-08-09_00002.jpg

Yet as I find myself agreeing I find myself somewhat distracted. The court is still in a very festive mood with drink and food for all in attendance. The Lady Amelia von Andechs is heavy into her wine but I think her eyes linger on me more than is proper for an unmarried woman.
“Yes yes…tomorrow we shall go to do just that. I want to enjoy myself this night though.” I say with a dismissive wave. Perhaps it is the wine I have been having myself as I begin to think very improper thoughts for a married man of my rank.
2012-08-09_00003.jpg
2012-08-09_00004.jpg

*Journal dated 11 of November, year of our Lord 1085*
Count Otto has been lifted up to a Duke. The Duke of Mecklenburg. The Kaiser saw fit to reward him after the battles against the heathens to the north. Normally I would be quite happy with him moving upwards in the world. The problem is though that he still rules one piece of land within my Kingdom yet is not my vassal. So it is with a heavy heart I had to force him to yield the land back to me. Also I had to replace him on my council with Mayor Golltschalk von Pommern of Kufstein. A more able man honestly than Otto was.
2012-08-09_00005.jpg

While I continue to serve the Kaiser loyally in my dual role as King and Chancellor others are not so loyal. The Duke of Lombardy, Ugo d’Este, rose up in revolt to achieve independence. Traitorous Italians. Furthermore the Doge of Ancona, Aldobrandino di Montifeltro is warred against the tyranny of the Kaiser as he puts it. Fools to try to defeat the vast armies of the Kaiser.
2012-08-09_00006.jpg

Due to the nature of things when I tried to bring the Duke of Austria under my wing I ended up in control of Osterreich directly. The title Duke of Austria unclaimed for the time being. Furthermore when I fought Duke Otto over Niederbayern his defeat put that land back directly into my hands. My Chancellor also managed to find papers indicating that I should by the one ruling Passau directly instead of the young child currently ruling there. Find or fabricated I don’t ask but my wife’s plan to arrange it certainly paid off. My personal demesne now including the lands of Passau, Niederbayern, Osterreich, Oberbayern, Nurnburg, Tirol and Innsbruck.

My second son Folkhard has come of age as well. I have arranged for him a good marriage to a courtier from Trier, a young woman named Ulrike von Gerolstein. After long consideration I had settled things down to three choices. She was the first choice. The second would have been the young Duchess of Poitou in France. A very tempting idea though I am loathe to Folkhard away. The third was Genat, the Princess of Abyssinia. However she was a Monophysite and I would rather not get caught up in that.
2012-08-09_00007.jpg
2012-08-09_00008.jpg

Also to be honest I doubt Abyssinia will be around much longer. The Egyptians have pushed them ever farther away from other Christians. The Egyptians are ruled by the powerful Fatimid Sultanate who have nearly destroyed the Byzantine Empire after they took over the Kingdom of Greece. I remember once I heard a legend about how anyone who dared to try to claim the land of Sennar would suffer a terrible doom. Something about baboons? Well maybe the Muslims will suffer there now in place of the Zagwe family.
2012-08-09_00009.jpg

*End of journal dated 11 of November, year of our Lord 1085*

“She is beautiful son.” In my arms I am holding a little baby girl. Not just any child though. “Have you settled yet on a name for her?”
“We have.” Dietrich smiles. The boy, no the man, had wasted no time after getting married producing a child. "Isla. Isla von Nordheim.” Though he was upset when he was younger about my choice of his younger brother as heir the fact that he is now first in line has kept us on good terms. I just hope that he doesn’t realize that if I get the option I will reinstate elective monarchy in Bavaria.
“Isla is a good name. She will grow up to be a fine woman.” These are words any grandfather says upon seeing his grandchild. Still I am pleased. By all accounts the young woman did not inherit her father’s sickly constitution. “And how is Beatrice?” I am not sure why I agreed to have him marry that Italian woman. Well she is the heir to the barony of Bentivoglio so perhaps that is why. They say the memory is the first to go.
“She is well father and sends her love.” I somehow doubt that. The woman is ambitious and enjoys far too much spending time in the dungeon having her fun. “She is looking forward to spending more time at the court.”
“And we of course will be happy to have her.”
2012-08-09_00010.jpg

“Have you heard the news father? Of Galicia?” He asks, his tone more serious now.
“I have. The Fatimids have called a Crusade against Galicia. From distant Ethiopia to Greece to the shores of the Atlantic ocean their power will spread.”
“Should…will we act father? Go to their aid?”
“No. While our Kaiser may decide to lend a hand without his first action this is a matter that we shall leave alone. It would take us months to reach there and we would have to move through mountains and forests and God knows what else while the Caliph can raise a great fleet to carry his forces from Egypt to Galicia. No my son, we will pray.”
“Yes father. You are wise as always.”
2012-08-09_00011.jpg

*Journal dated 17 of November, year of our Lord 1088*
The Kaiser likes to move around it seems. Now his capitol is in Mecklenburg along the shore. Even in my old age he has me moving around the Empire working to create claims. There are numerous minor counts and traitors to be dealt with. Several dukes in Burgundy and Italy tried rather unsuccessfully to become their own lands. While the Kaiser put them down I dealt with peasant rebellions. I am a grandfather as well now. Dietrich named the boy Sieghard after me and I am rather touched truth be told.
2012-08-09_00012.jpg

My third son no longer lives within the Empire. He has gone west to France. The young Countess of Poitou who I had thought to betroth when she was younger to Folkhard instead has married my son Eckhard. Their children, should the Lord God choose to bless them with such, will carry the von Nordheim name. He has always been quite the scholar. I am sure God shall show him some favor assuming he can muster up the courage for it. Holy men are not known to be masters of the bedroom.
2012-08-09_00013.jpg

In distant Rome the Papacy has passed on to Pope Benedict the Tenth. An Italian man they say this one is more ambitious than his predecessor. Some even say we could expect a Crusade soon. Speaking of religious wars as I had predicted when talking with Dietrich the Fatimid’s took Galicia. I also had to replace my Marshall after Gottschalk passed on from his battle wounds. Jakob Von Waging, a courtier of mine has taken up the position. Though he has no lands or real rank his talents are undeniable.
2012-08-09_00014.jpg

Downstairs the feast still goes on as I write this. Hedge Knights introduced to my court by my son Dietrich are in attendance and I welcomed them with a great feast. I am not the young man I once was. I mean at 57 a man like me needs his rest! Still my chambers are quiet. Gudrun is downstairs with two of our boys with the Knights. For her sake I certainly wish I was younger. She is half my age! Still marrying her was the right choice. She has given me a large family and supported me with my numerous duties while I was working abroad as Chancellor.
2012-08-09_00015.jpg

Beside me lies a letter I have just finished reading. The Kaiser has accepted a small proposal I sent him. My son Hartwig is married to the Kaiser’s daughter. Two years ago the dowager Empress passed away but I think she would have been happy to see her granddaughter married to my son. If I and the Kaiser were to pass on now this would make my own son and heir brother-in-law to the new Kaiser.
2012-08-09_00017.jpg

*End of journal dated 17 of November, year of our Lord 1088*

Dietrich must have heard a rumor that someone was planning on switching to elective and cutting him out of the succession ;) So he decided to name his baby after pops to try and convince him otherwise.

And getting awfully close to those Salians be interesting to see how that plays out when the Germans start getting ambitious come election time :p

My next post will cover about 11 years of stuff. A certain Kaiser dies during that timeframe.

“Have you heard? The Hashshashin are coming.” Words like these are common in my court right now. Tales are being told in court about this mysterious Muslim order of murderers. If something goes wrong they are to blame. “Did you hear they killed the Pope? God save us.”
2012-08-10_00001.jpg

“Now now enough of this!” I thump my hand heavily down onto the arm of me throne, my voice cutting through the gossip. “Where is your faith? When you spread stories like this what does this say about God hmm? Do you think he would let some backwards hashish smokers actually kill the Pope? Be reasonable you fools.”
I glare at the lot as they stop their muttering. It was coincidence and nothing more that the Pope happened to die of typhus shortly after the stories of these eastern killers started to spread. Pope Clement the Third now speaks on behalf of God in this world from the seat in Rome.
2012-08-10_00002.jpg

“Besides if you have so much time to spend in idle gossip why don’t you try to put yourself to working to some truly noble end. The Pope has called for a Crusade against the Fatimids in Greece. I may be 58 years of age but when the Pope calls I answer! The rest of you shall as well.”
2012-08-10_00004.jpg

My wife looks very concerned at me with this sudden proclamation. I am not a young man and I may not survive travelling so far. Yet at my age with my family line secure how can I do anything else but put my life in God’s hands? So I armor myself and send word to the Pope. The King of Bavaria, highest of the noble Kaiser’s vassals, will join this war. Highest of his vassals for now. My work as Chancellor and numerous deeds have earned me much favor in the Empire. Enough so that I am now favored to rule the Holy Roman Empire should god choose to take the Kaiser from us.
2012-08-10_00005.jpg

*Journal dated 30 of Augest, year of our Lord 1091
The count of Salzburg, Berengar von Meckemburg, has taken over duties as Steward of Bavaria. The Kaiser has not involved himself as much as I would have liked with the matter of Greece. Instead he helps out against the northern barbarian tribes near Sweden and Rus. It is hard to write though about all of that while I think back to the terrible news sent to me here in Greece. My son. Dietrich. My first born, blood of my blood, flesh of my flesh, has been murdered.
2012-08-10_00006.jpg

Would that I knew who killed him I would ensure a terrible doom for whoever would dare. Still I try to put on a brave face. Folkhard shall be my Chancellor and I will continue to fight in Greece. For the Glory of God.
*End of journal dated 30 of Augest, year of our Lord 1091*

“Father you are safe.” Folkhard welcomes me back. With only a fifth of the 3500 men I had left for Greece in my forces are quite battered and depleted but I am at least alive.
“Aye…that I am. Would that the Kaiser had joined this Crusade I am confident that we could win it. After our defeat though in Strymon I do not plan to return to that land until he does. God will not grant us victory when we do not show that all of Christendom is will willing to act for him.” I am too old for this. My scar aches from long ago.
“Speaking of actions the count of Kempton is now the Duke of Pisa.” I lift a brow at this news.
“Is he now? And Kempton itself?”
“Friedrich keeps it as part of his own domain.”
“This will not do! I will not return from a Crusade my Kaiser did not take part in only to find out that parts of my territory are being handed off! Send word around to my soldiers. Rally fresh forces. Kempton will be ours once more!” I still have fire in me though. A man must protect his legacy afterall.
“Please father. Please calm yourself. Allow me and Count Berengar to handle that matter. You should govern and let us do this in your place.”
“Ahh my son…my dear son. I…no, you are right.” I cannot let affection for the man blind me to common sense. “Take my finest soldiers and my own personal horse. Reclaim it for the Kingdom of Bavaria.”
“I will father, thank you.”

*Journal dated 17 of September, year of our Lord 1097*
Politics kept me off the throne of the Holy Roman Empire when our dear Kaiser passed on. His son Mathias Salian now rules. He is a bastard and a coward but I can say nothing ill about his piety. The man has decided to join the war for Greece and called up the armies of the Holy Roman Empire to march on it.
2012-08-10_00009.jpg

Thanks to the Kaiser getting involved we are starting to turn the tide against the Fatimids. Things were looking very grim there for a time. I was inspired enough that I even went back to Greece at the head of my armies. Though no longer am I the only king in the Holy Roman Empire. At my borders has risen the Kingdom of Bohemia. Lead by Vratislav Premyslid.
2012-08-10_00010.jpg

Still I think the worst part of the Crusade was that those damn Italians continue to oppose the Kaiser in their petty revolts. While he would have us fight for the glory of God, they squabble for petty terrestrial matters. It is despicable. My dear sweet daughter though is now married to the Prince of France. I even managed to arrange that marriage to be matrilineal. He is third in line so I do not think much will come from it but no matter. There may be a claim to press one day.
2012-08-10_00011.jpg

Most of my children have been married now though none quite as impressively married as the ones before. Seven years at this Crusade. We have not lost yet though the powerful armies of the Fatimids prove a danger. If only we had more sea power to maneuver around with then perhaps we could have accomplished so much more.
*End of journal dated 17 of September, year of our Lord 1097*

“The King is dead! Long live the King! The King is dead! Long live the King!” The chant fills the halls. I am sitting in the great throne in Oberbayern and I have to admit this is all terrifying and exhilarating all at the same time. My grandfather King Sieghard von Nordheim of Bavaria passed away in his sleep. He had long been in Greece fighting for the Pope yet numerous defeats had finally returned him to home this year in 1099.
2012-08-10_00013.jpg

The crown doesn’t fit well on my head and the heavy robes dwarf my small frame as I push myself to my feet. I gesture to get the attention of my court. One of them, my uncle Folkhard sees what I am doing and motions and calls for everyone to quiet down. My grandfather never changed the succession laws. Because of that I am King of Bavaria, Duke of Bavaria, Count of Kempton and Oberbayern. Uncle Erich rules in Osterreich. Uncle Meinhard rules in Passau. Uncle Hartwig rules in Nurnburg. Uncle Eckhard rules in Niederbayern. Uncle Folkhard is the Duke of Tyrol and count of Tirol and Innsbruck. Grandfather had been teaching me how to rule but he passed on before I came of age. Still I learned important lessons from him that I can only hope serve Bavaria well.
2012-08-10_00014.jpg

I take a deep breath. “Many of you do not yet know me or at least do not know me well. I am Sieghard von Nordheim the second, King of Bavaria. Grandfather, King Sieghard the first, ruled the Kingdom of Bavaria for 15 years before he passed. Before then the title had remained unclaimed and forgotten since 911. While nearly 200 years passed without it being claimed I promise you all that together we will make the von Nordheim family rule here in Bavaria for centuries more! This I swear on the honor of my Grandfather!”
My words are met with a great cheer. My uncles know me to be a brace and bright boy that will accomplish much if given the chance. I just hope they do. Successions aren’t always clean affairs. In fact I think I will give all my uncles honorary titles to help keep them pleased with me.

“I know that many of you are unsure of me. I am young and untested.” I hold up a hand with four fingers up. “Four years though. In four years I will be of age. Give me those few short years and I promise you glories you can only dream of.”
My words make a stir. Some of them aren’t sure. My grandfather did more than any expected. He saw enough in me that he took me under his wing to personally educate. I just need time really. When my grandfather became Duke the King of France was only a boy. I can do just as much if not more.

Regencies - CK2s way of trying to curb all your plans. Hope little Sieghard survives it, but I'm sure Folkhard is not very impressed with his little liege.

I did an interesting regency once in a Welsh game. There were 8 seperate 'X% chance you die' events thrown at my guy before the final one was just 'your regent charges screaming into the room with a knife shouting why wont you just die before your guards haul him away'. My most interesting regency to be sure.

*Journal dated 11 of December, year of our Lord 1099*
Grandfather always liked to keep a journal of things. He said it helped him sort out and make sense of what was going on in the world. Right now I could use that. The Crusade in Greece continues still and we are losing. My uncle Erich has picked up the duty of educating me as well as serving as my Chancellor. Prince Edouard Capet of France, who is married to my kind aunt Heilwiva sits on my council as Marshal. Uncle Hartwig works as my Steward, my mother is in the roll of Spymaster as well as my Regent and Uncle Eckhard serves as my court Chaplain.

I am only 12 so I have four years before I can really imprint my authority on the kingdom. The Kaiser has seen fit to increase the authority of the Crown which limits what I can do further. For one thing those parts of Bavaria that still exist outside my direct I can no longer force into subservience though force of arms. If I want to expand further I may have to look outside the borders of the Holy Roman Empire or perhaps there are some other means that are as yet unknown to me that my education and time will reveal.
Mother already wants me to arrange my marriage. There are a few Duchesses that are near my age in foreign lands. An Orthodox woman and a drooling imbecile. Yes mother I understand about how I might inherit but in the meanwhile I would be stuck with them. Her third suggestion is interesting at least and I gave it due consideration. A betrothal to the eldest child of the Kaiser. It would make the Kaiser my father-in-law. I do not commit to anything yet though. I think I will wait until I am an adult before I worry about marriage.
*End of journal dated 11 of December, 1099*

“Son? Son?” I hear the voice of my mother calling for me. I am in the garden’s with my uncle where he is training me in the ways of the sword. The sky is overcast and grey but the coming of spring has started to at least warm things a little.
“Here mother.” I call back to her. I am pretty good with a sword. Good enough that my uncle says that when I am grown I will probably be better than him with a blade.
“Ahh good. Hello Erich, a pleasure to see you.”
“Lady Beatrice. Come to watch your son train?” My uncle says as he motions for me to take a break. I give a nod and sheath my sword, a nearby servant quick to bring me water.
“My son is a growing boy and it is time for his lunch. Come along dear you can continue training afterwards.” I nod and she takes my hand as we walk away. Once out of earshot though she speaks to me. “Curse that damn man.”
“What? Uncle Erich? What is wrong mother?” I have never heard her swear before. It is rather shocking.
“My dear boy, my dear wonderful son. Your uncle plots to take the throne from you. He would supplant you as King of Bavaria!” She almost hisses in anger.
2012-08-11_00003.jpg

“What…but…and he acts like he is my friend. That lying…that...” I am hurt more than I am angry but I am still very angry. “You have proof of this?” I ask her, steel in my voice. She gives a nod. “Then my dear uncle will be spending the rest of his days in prison for this! Guards!” My uncle is rather surprised at the turn of events but he goes peacefully into my dungeon. I will let him rot there.
2012-08-11_00005.jpg

*Journal dated 9 of January, year of our Lord 1103*
My uncle Erich was not the only one to plot for my throne. It seems that they never intended to give me four years. Thankfully my mother is very adept at rooting out the traitors. Uncle Hartwig is the next to plot to take the Crown for himself. He joins Erich in the dungeons underneath my castle. My aunt Heilwiva now tutors me and Uncle Meinhard is now my Steward. Also I have a new cousin. Aunt Heilwiva and her husband the Prince of France have had a son, Philipp von Nordheim.
2012-08-11_00006.jpg
2012-08-11_00008.jpg

My uncle Eckhard tried to have my mother killed. Probably the first step to trying to put a claim forward to my throne. Uncle Meinhard also was plotting for my throne. Why couldn’t they just accept I was king? So he joined my other uncles in jail.
2012-08-11_00009.jpg
2012-08-11_00010.jpg

2012-08-11_00011.jpg

All these plots and lies and schemes though. A boy my age should be having fun and running around not dealing with uncles trying to take over my throne. Well if plots and lies are the way of the world I will adapt to it. I will not only adapt to it I will become a master of this world of schemes and plots.
2012-08-11_00012.jpg

My Aunt Benedicta is married now to Prince Theodorich of the Holy Roman Empire. Erich is in the oubliette now. See where his schemes have gotten him? This is the fate of all those who would be traitors to the crown. However with all that said and done I have come of age. Now I can start to properly act and turn Bavaria into the jewel of the Empire. My first choice will be to join the Crusade in Greece. Being a Crusader will earn me the respect of all those who have ever fought there and show my loyalty to God.
2012-08-11_00013.jpg
2012-08-11_00014.jpg

*End of journal dated 9 of January, year of our Lord 1103*

“Son, are you sure about this?” I let my mother get away with not referring to me by my official title. I sit astride a great dark stallion, ready to take my forces east.
“Quite sure mother. You will handle the arrangements while I am gone I trust?”
“Of course but…really why can’t you marry a nice German woman?”
“No I have my mind set. It shall be Nichola.”
2012-08-13_00001.jpg

“And what of the Kaiser? You know he desires you to be his Chancellor just as your Grandfather was.”
“Who am I to refuse the Kaiser! Of course I will accept that offer. Once we are done in Greece of course.”
2012-08-11_00016.jpg

“Just…just be careful! Bavaria needs you!”
“Fear not mother. God and my faith will be my armor against the heathen. That and the finest German steel. With a flourish I draw my sword and hold it high. “We march for Greece!”
2012-08-11_00017.jpg

*Journal dated 16 of April, year of our Lord 1105*
The Holy Roman Empire is the dominant force for we Christian’s fighting for Greece. I had to return for a time to my own lands with my forces. I had an opportunity to expand my personal demesne. At the expense of some traitor titles held by my family. Aside from being King I am also Duke of Bavaria and Duke of Austria, Count of Passau, Niederbayern, Nurnberg, Osterreich, Kempton and Oberbayern. The Duchy of Austria was made by the Kaiser and given to my uncle. I happened to strip him of it though along with the county he ruled for the crime of treason.

Back to Greece though the war there has gone on for 15 years. The Christian forces continue to have an edge but only a slim one. The Fatimid have quite wisely I feel concentrated enough soldiers into a single army to best any force they meet. So they march around Greece striking down at this smaller force or that force and taking away any gains we make. I suspect that if the Kaiser properly focused his forces we could match them and best them but his Marshal’s advice seems to leave something to be desired.
2012-08-11_00019.jpg

*End of journal dated 16 of April, year of our Lord 1105*

Last edited: