• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(208527)

Sergeant
13 Badges
May 28, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
I am playing as Austria and have France and Hungary in a personal union. I have already inherited Poland, annexed most of Milan and Croatia and am the HRE so I have a ton of resources and a large forcelimits. I have built up my army to about twice the size of France but they keep sending me diplomatic insults to get out of the union which I try to solve by maintaining an almost constant state of war. I have (or had) 200 relations, a high level of trust, +3 stability and just about everything else I can think of that seems to be a factor in inheritance but it still says the union will continue on monarch death instead of becoming inherited. Hungary, however, seems all too willing to be inherited as it always says they will be inherited on ruler death, even when at war. Is there something else I can do to A) get France to stop lowering relations and B) increase my chance of inheriting France? I've searched the forums but I didn't see anything that I'm not already doing.

Addendum: My ruler kind of sucks with only 3 diplomatic skill I think. Is that a big factor?

France may see you as a rival too, which seems unlikely but possible. Are you sure you have more regiments than they do, not just more troops. Have you got high legitimacy too?

The troop count is 130k to 80k exactly so I think all of their regiments (and mine) are full strength. My navy is vastly inferior to theirs though, would that play as big of a role as army? My legitimacy is at 100 too. It does say they view me as a rival and they feel threatened by me.

A small note, don't look at the text that says 'the PU will continue' or 'you will inherit', it's never correct. I don't really know what causes this situation, it would be much better if you can give stats or the save game itself. If they have more provinces than you they will almost always insult you, that's the only thing I can think of.

If they own more provinces than you do it is extremely unlikely that you will inherit them even if they don't insult spam to break the union. From my experience and limited testing, I'd say impossible but a number of people I respect claim that they've seen it happen. The rival thing could well be part of your problem as well.

Since inheritance is completely under the hood and Johan has never come out and said which rumors/theories about it are correct, we can only make guesses and observations about what is going on.

As someone who recently inherited a France as Austria, after successfully keeping them in PU for a decade or so without a single middle finger waved from Ile-de-France - I would guess the provinces and rivalry/threat thing are your problem. France felt I was neither a rival nor a threat, and had fewer provinces than I did on account of my inheritance spree to start the game (nabbed Bavaria, Milan and Bohemia on first monarch death, Savoy and Brabant were inherited during his reign; France was the crown jewel of the third inheritance, so there were also some other inheritances in-between). Beyond that I matched all your other variables (4 DIP instead of 3) and inherited fine...

If they own more provinces than you do it is extremely unlikely that you will inherit them even if they don't insult spam to break the union. From my experience and limited testing, I'd say impossible but a number of people I respect claim that they've seen it happen.

Highly doubtful, seeing as inheriting Lithuania (much bigger) is the typical turn of events when playing as Poland.

Highly doubtful, seeing as inheriting Lithuania (much bigger) is the typical turn of events when playing as Poland.

Except I have never seen it either by a.i. or player until Poland owns as many provinces as Lith through a combination of conquest/annexation and/or Lith losing provinces. Same with Denmark inheriting Norway and then Sweden. One time I got bored and did some testing using the console and Poland never inherited Lith in 30+ tries with 1 fewer province. In my somewhat recent "into space game" I failed to inherit with 2 less provinces and every other known variable completely in favor on inheritance (0 inf, 200 relations, high prestige, high dip heir, large soi...). The next death, after gaining 3 provs, I inherited with a low dip ruler, a small amount of infamy, and lower prestige...

I typically just sit tight and try not to spend too much (keeping the armies necessary to keep Lithuania in check), so I end up inheriting with just the starting provinces, perhaps with a humble addition, but still less than Lithuania has.

EDIT: the same situation I have with Sweden and Norway while playing as Denmark.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Anyone know of a way to get off of another nation's rivals list?

Edit: I just checked it and it was the number of provinces. I had 1 fewer province than France, as soon as I took another province the insults stopped. Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:
To add some more to the confusion: I'm the Netherlands and I have England in a PU, they see me as natural rivals and feel threatened by me (as they should, hehe) but I haven't seen any insults from them yet. Been almost 20 years now. I have about 40 provinces while they are at 50, their navy is much bigger than mine but their army doesn't compare to me at all. Just thought I'd mention.