• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SacremPyrobolum

Lt. General
90 Badges
Jul 31, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
Do I started this thread here on this site:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...est-Me-A-Paradox-Game&p=14181121#post14181121

And here on this site:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.384234-Suggest-Me-A-Paradox-Game

To see what other games I could buy to scratch my newly found grand strategy itch. I was looking mostly towards Victoria II and Pride of Nations, with Crusader Kings being something that I will consider after buying one of the aforementioned games. However, in the second thread it says that while Pride is more detailed than Victoria, Pride of Nations also has ridiculous waiting periods for turn endings.

Is this true? If so, why? I remember how Sword of the Stars II would have turn cycles that would get worse and worse as the game progresses. I don't want to revisit that, no sir.

Last edited:
To see what other games I could buy to scratch my newly found grand strategy itch. I was looking mostly towards Victoria II and Pride of Nations, with Crusader Kings being something that I will consider after buying one of the aforementioned games. However, in the second thread it says that while Pride is more detailed than Victoria, Pride of Nations also has ridiculous waiting periods for turn endings.

Is this true? If so, why?

Pride of Nations is different to Victoria, not actually more complex (I like and play both and appreciate both have real strengths). PoN is a lot simpler around population management and research (there isn't that much you can do for either other than run a basically sound economy). Its more complex in terms of the colonial game and takes a very different route in terms of military operations. The key difference lies in the underlying game engine. Victoria is real time, you can intervene at any stage and so on. PoN is a turn processing game. You set up the orders, they are then processed and you can't intervene. With the new patch, I find that turn processing is about 3 minutes (for a 2 week time period), there's not much you can do in while that is going on and if there are no active operations there isn't a lot of feedback (while it happens). Some people find that whole idea a gamebreaker (if so don't buy PoN).

One other way to think about this is how much time you might cover in say 45 mins of gameplay. If I'm playing PoN in a peaceful period, I guess I'd get through 6-8 turns (3-4 months in that period), if I was playing V2 (again assume no war), I guess I'd get through a year or more.

Another key difference is that PoN is somewhat more deterministic, the way the objectives interact with war score, you tend to go for the targets a nation did historically rather than having the freedom to try to forge a very different world that Victoria allows you to do.

However, as a game engine it comes into its full glory in MP. With PBEM you can spend ages plotting your turns and you and your opponent(s) don't need to be online at the same time.

One idea is to quickly check out some of the relevant AARs - may give you an idea which appeals to you more.

Last edited:
PON is great game, in some terms better than Vicky (no more 2mln population of miners,or half of people are unemployed), and land/naval warfare is for me a lot of better.
Simultaneous turn are the greatest and realistic thing (similar to Combat Mission,or some other strategies), but without additional RAM it become worst nigthmare -> slow progress of game when you play campaign.

About MP -> again very slowly progress, so propably you can end game after 2 months of playing. It is game for marathon runner:)