• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
why no events for the greek invasion showed up for me back in 40-41? or the event to join axis? im kinda happy i didnt because germany lost the war...
I would take a look at the decision and check the requirements for it.
Btw. maybe Germany wouldn't have lost, if you had joined them. Even if you would just garrison the Atlantic wall, that would have freed up a lot of German troops for the Eastern front.

Thank you very much eeex i'll check your pics when i get home but i'm sure they are top-quality work.

I like your suggestions seattle but i probably won't be able to implement them for now (not much free time with my new job). I thought we already changed the max stack for airplanes. So you want it at 8?

I'm not really convinved by the yearly pilots training suggestion but what do you guys think? The balance between fast build times and experienced units is already simulated via the mobilization slider.

As for the SS, yes afaik, you get a limited number of units in your production lines but you can't build more.

Problem is when you observe the air battles, all modifiers are correct and you will notice that your interceptors are actually pretty good. This is not why you lose against the a.i., it's because the a.i. often has 8 planes in the battle against your 4. I believe Fernando said something about increasing the stacking penalty in future releases. For now, just modify it yourself. Open the misc.txt, ctrl+f search for "stacking" or "penalty" and increase the air overstacking penalty.
I've gone over to the lazy "plaster everything with lvl.10 flak" approach. It's a one-time deploy and forget approach. The Allied airforce is getting badly battered by my flak. I do like to have some interceptor fun though. The Allies are keen on leveling Paris. I built some radar in and around Paris and deployed a 1943-rocket interceptor there on "air scramble". That's a real pleasure to watch! :D

Thank you very much eeex i'll check your pics when i get home but i'm sure they are top-quality work.

I like your suggestions seattle but i probably won't be able to implement them for now (not much free time with my new job). I thought we already changed the max stack for airplanes. So you want it at 8?

I'm not really convinved by the yearly pilots training suggestion but what do you guys think? The balance between fast build times and experienced units is already simulated via the mobilization slider.

As for the SS, yes afaik, you get a limited number of units in your production lines but you can't build more.

I've played with many of the mods, and regardless, I always change my stacking limit to 5, which always seem to work well for my games.

Noooo, god no! The stack limit needs to be 4 (otherwise it would mean either build a huge airforce or completely neglect it). I'm saying that the a.i. attacks with stacks of 8 most of the time. Then even with higher combat modifiers, your stack of 4 will get shred to pieces.
--> keep stack limit at 4, make sure the OVER-stacking is heavily penalized.
If you have already increased the over-stacking penalty, forget what I said. I might not be up to date. Apparently the player "makif" still has encountered that problem. If the a.i. attacks with 8 wings, then your 4 wings should not be doomed. The overstacking penalty needs to dissuade player and a.i. to use more than 4 wings.

#stack limit 4 vs. 8
As Germany you already don't really need an airforce. You can defend the skies via flak and once you fight the Soviets and their 60 air wings, your Luftwaffe will get killed anyways.
With a stack limit of 8, the only viable airforce strategy would be to always have at least 8 wings together. Otherwise your stacks of 4 would get killed immediately. It would force you to build a huge airforce, or skip the airforce completely.

Last edited:
Noooo, god no! The stack limit needs to be 4 (otherwise it would mean either build a huge airforce or completely neglect it). I'm saying that the a.i. attacks with stacks of 8 most of the time. Then even with higher combat modifiers, your stack of 4 will get shred to pieces.
--> keep stack limit at 4, make sure the OVER-stacking is heavily penalized.
If you have already increased the over-stacking penalty, forget what I said. I might not be up to date. Apparently the player "makif" still has encountered that problem. If the a.i. attacks with 8 wings, then your 4 wings should not be doomed. The overstacking penalty needs to dissuade player and a.i. to use more than 4 wings.

#stack limit 4 vs. 8
As Germany you already don't really need an airforce. You can defend the skies via flak and once you fight the Soviets and their 60 air wings, your Luftwaffe will get killed anyways.
With a stack limit of 8, the only viable airforce strategy would be to always have at least 8 wings together. Otherwise your stacks of 4 would get killed immediately. It would force you to build a huge airforce, or skip the airforce completely.

No air force for Germany??? In my games I would get just killed if I tried this. I always get a bit overwhelmed initially when invading Russia, but if I have keep a good tech lead, I eventually gain the upper hand, and actually start destroying their inferior planes. (the ai keeps using them even when org is very low, giving an opportunity to completely destroy). How many actual squadron's do you build. I aim for (with my 5 limit) 30 intercepter, 15 fighter, tac, and cas, 10 nav and 5 transport. 3x5 of the interceptors stay in France/Germany to minimize the allied strategic bombing raids, and the rest are for Russia.

No air force for Germany??? In my games I would get just killed if I tried this. I always get a bit overwhelmed initially when invading Russia, but if I have keep a good tech lead, I eventually gain the upper hand, and actually start destroying their inferior planes. (the ai keeps using them even when org is very low, giving an opportunity to completely destroy). How many actual squadron's do you build. I aim for (with my 5 limit) 30 intercepter, 15 fighter, tac, and cas, 10 nav and 5 transport. 3x5 of the interceptors stay in France/Germany to minimize the allied strategic bombing raids, and the rest are for Russia.

My usual Germany-strategy:
- annex Denmark in 1938, build naval bases in Greenland and Iceland
- construct 150 submarine units
- land army focused on motorized and tanks, some infantry. AA-brigades to protect from air attacks
- plaster Western Europe with serial builds of flak. I always keep a reserve and deploy it where the a.i. strikes. If the a.i. strikes province x and repeats it, I'll deploy 10 levels of flak there. Flak alone will deal with the Allied bombing campaign.
- my air force is something like this:
4-8 interceptors, 4 fighters, 4-8 tac bombers, 4-8 nav bombers, 2 transport planes.
I completely ignore CAS (saves a lot of research as well), since CAS has too low of a range. My air force is enough for every pre-Barbarossa campaign, even for a potential Sealion (done it several times).
In Russia I gave up winning the air war. The cheat events used to gift Russia tons of air wings and their airforce is too huge and too modern anyways. It should be crap until 1944.
I hate air warfare anyways. In Russia your fighters don't have enough range and if you deploy them to conquered airfields, it takes months before they've reorganized enough.
It's usually easier to simply go for AA-supported land forces and destroy the Soviets in huge encirclements. I only use air strikes in local breakthroughs.

My usual Germany-strategy:
- annex Denmark in 1938, build naval bases in Greenland and Iceland
- construct 150 submarine units
- land army focused on motorized and tanks, some infantry. AA-brigades to protect from air attacks
- plaster Western Europe with serial builds of flak. I always keep a reserve and deploy it where the a.i. strikes. If the a.i. strikes province x and repeats it, I'll deploy 10 levels of flak there. Flak alone will deal with the Allied bombing campaign.
- my air force is something like this:
4-8 interceptors, 4 fighters, 4-8 tac bombers, 4-8 nav bombers, 2 transport planes.
I completely ignore CAS (saves a lot of research as well), since CAS has too low of a range. My air force is enough for every pre-Barbarossa campaign, even for a potential Sealion (done it several times).
In Russia I gave up winning the air war. The cheat events used to gift Russia tons of air wings and their airforce is too huge and too modern anyways. It should be crap until 1944.
I hate air warfare anyways. In Russia your fighters don't have enough range and if you deploy them to conquered airfields, it takes months before they've reorganized enough.
It's usually easier to simply go for AA-supported land forces and destroy the Soviets in huge encirclements. I only use air strikes in local breakthroughs.

Each player has their unique styles. I never build aa brigades, and have a MUCH larger air force then you do. With the air force you make, its inevitably that you would struggle. Just to give you an idea, yes I agree that it takes a while to 'org up', but by having a much larger force, it allows you to operate like a tag team ie squadron A fights for a while, the once their org/health is low, squadron B takes over. Also, once you level the planes up a bit, CAS can really decimate on oppositions org, and allow much smaller forces to win battle. Regardless, always interesting to hear other peoples styles.

aa in wif2 is usable they german get the flak 88 event which is good for all the units that can be brigaded :) but i never war denmark :/ and build lots of cas and airforce ( im airforce enthusiast)

edit wif2 gold drbob ai plus hotfix its 1943 im holding on the east leningrad mine and my army is 2 province away from moscow I went for stalingrad early and baku oilfield but the line is really really then and getting forves back loving this but one thing i fell sad about is that all my airforce is dead or dying and all are in berlin for repairs

Last edited:
Each player has their unique styles. I never build aa brigades, and have a MUCH larger air force then you do. With the air force you make, its inevitably that you would struggle. Just to give you an idea, yes I agree that it takes a while to 'org up', but by having a much larger force, it allows you to operate like a tag team ie squadron A fights for a while, the once their org/health is low, squadron B takes over. Also, once you level the planes up a bit, CAS can really decimate on oppositions org, and allow much smaller forces to win battle. Regardless, always interesting to hear other peoples styles.

Like you said, everyone has his own style. However, it's not inevitable to struggle with my style. I usually have a 10:1 kill ratio against the Soviets (posted several screenshots some pages ago), that's hardly what you'd call struggling.
The CAS in Russia are too annoying for me to deal with. Due to the province size, I hardly find any use for those short ranged buggers. I get your point with the A attacks while B reorganizes. My problem is that I employ blitzkrieg tactics with those super-fast motorized units and I would constantly have to rebase my air wings to reach the enemy. Newly conquered airbases take very long to be fully operational again.
Good to read that it works for you. That means it is not entirely impossible and can be used very effectively. I might give the airforce another shot then. Maybe the idea could be to tech rush fighters and tac bombers to make them viable and get more range.

Spent the last few days getting acquainted with World in Flames II and I have to say;

Hats off to the WIF development team. This is now my favorite version of HoI.

Paradox should have you guys consult on HoI 4. Seriously.

Well done.

Can the max_allowed_brigades command be added to the txt file for ships other than SS, CV, CVL?

I'd like to increase the number of brigades that can be attached to DD, CL, CA, BC, BB.

For that matter, will it work for land division txt files too, like armor?

Hi Everybody,

First of all thanks a lot for your wonderfull mod FT, I allready spend some 150hours playing it.
Now I started to play the Gold version of the mod, however my land unit speed of infrantry is really slow. like 0.9KM/h. Is this a bug or intended? IMHO it is to slow.

Cheers,

Skn

Hi Everybody,

First of all thanks a lot for your wonderfull mod FT, I allready spend some 150hours playing it.
Now I started to play the Gold version of the mod, however my land unit speed of infrantry is really slow. like 0.9KM/h. Is this a bug or intended? IMHO it is to slow.

Cheers,

Skn

Neither nor :D
It's more a matter of circumstance. I think infantry has a speed of 5, if arty attached then reduced to 4. With super-heavy arty reduced even further.
Your division is probably either standing on low infra, swamp, mountain or just in bad weather...

Infantry speed hasn't changed. Little hint: You should mostly move infantry via strategic redeployment anyways.

Neither nor :D
It's more a matter of circumstance. I think infantry has a speed of 5, if arty attached then reduced to 4. With super-heavy arty reduced even further.
Your division is probably either standing on low infra, swamp, mountain or just in bad weather...

Infantry speed hasn't changed. Little hint: You should mostly move infantry via strategic redeployment anyways.

Hi Seattle, also thank you for your work done to the mod.

So IIRC, its normal to have a inf. div. on Plains, wich has a speed of 2.2KM/H?

Also I noticed that invading Russia is made A LOT harder then before, maby even impossible. It looks like that the russian inf is moving faster, and has a higher ORG regain.. Poured into russia with 200+ Divs, but didnt got any further then 4 provinces inland.. Also the submarine tactic with England works like a charm.

Skn1

Skn

Last edited:
Might have time to play again this weekend. The big question is: will there be a new version of WiF2 or the vanilla patch 1.4 within the next couple of days/weeks? I'd hate start another game and then having to abort it due to a new release.

@Skn1
How did you implement the U-boat strategy? What tech, how many submarine flotillas? Which bases did you use (Iceland?)? How long did it take you to starve Britain?
I love how every other Allied theatre crumbles instantly when you've sunk their last convoy. In Northern Africa I usually let Rommel dig in and simply wait for the Brits to be out of supply.

Hey there!

Question: I'm currently playing as Germany and it's late 1943. In 1942, Albert Speer was assigned armaments minister and, some time later, he simply disappeared from the slot and someone else was assigned. He's not an available minister any more and I now can't fire the "underground factories" event, not to forget that I miss the massive IC boost of Speer. So, is there any way to get him back?