German strategy without Mol-Rib -agreement

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jan 29, 2005
Sup. I could win a more or less historical game with Germany on hard.
Trying the ultimate challenge on very hard and the first trouble spot I have is having no money to bribe the Soviets to agree to partition Poland.
I would have to use way too much IC, which is very tight in the first place, to make money and improve relations with SU from -95 to the required +50.

So, what decent options you guys have when no Molotov-Ribbentrop takes place?

So far I have a few plans:
A) Puppet Poland to give it a Nazi government, but soon release it and ban from alliance. Soviets might not attack them and I get to deal with West. edit: Oops, I forgot I cannot ban anyone during wartime. So this one's out of the question.
B) Conquest and annex the whole of Poland normally. I have no clue when the SU would DoW in this scenario? I do know I need my army to take out France. This is VH. I can't win fighting on two fronts.
C) Try not to kill Polish divs, and puppet it and keep it incl. its divisions as an ally guarding the Eastern front.

Last edited:
I've tried option B a few times and the Soviet AI always seems to strike right when you are in the middle of the war on France and least able to defend. The Germans are really tight on troops in '39-'40 and a two front war at that point is almost always unwinnable in my experience.

I puppeted Poland (PLAN C) and it had 33 divisions left that we can now use. The problem is the lousy reinforcement mechanism of the AI armies.
This will surely be very difficult. Probably need to find a way to some sort of stalemate in either front till the other front is done. And need to assume military control from Mussolini. Abandon Africa, bring those troops to frontlines.

I think it is meant to simulate all the negotiations that took place. The Germans and Russians were planning on invading each other all along. The Germans just got there first.

I think it is meant to simulate all the negotiations that took place. The Germans and Russians were planning on invading each other all along. The Germans just got there first.

Right. SO maybe it could cost 100 bucks or something. Improving your relations from a "natural" -90 or so to +50 costs like ONE YEAR of IC all in on Consumer goods. At VH. I don't think this is a realistic requirement.

edit: well I guess it's cheaper when you remember to start Influencing SU right from the beginning of scenario. In this case I had not done it, and was looking to launch Diplomatic campaign missions. Have to remember influencing them by +5 shot after another right from the get go in the next game.

Last edited:
You can make it cheaper and work better by choosing the right foreign minister. You can also get some trade deals going with them to raise relations.

I managed to get them to +50 early in 1939 the last time I played a game as Germany and by the end of 1939 had conquered Poland, France, and was about to start on the Benelux countries.

I know where the event is, but the requirements for it, other than that it be 1939, I'm not allied with POL or SOV, and that none of us are puppets, aren't there.

This is the event
Code:
#########################################################################
#  The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact
#########################################################################
event = {
	id = 2050
	random = no
	country = GER
	trigger = {
		exists = SOV
		exists = POL
		NOT = {
			OR = {
				war = { country = SOV country = GER  }
				alliance = { country = GER country = POL }
				alliance = { country = GER country = SOV }
				ispuppet = GER
				ispuppet = SOV
				ispuppet = POL
			}
		}
	}
	name = "EVT_2050_NAME"
	desc = "EVT_2050_DESC"
	style = 0
	picture = "Mol_Rib"

date = { day = 23 month = august year = 1939 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME2050A" # Historical Agreement
		ai_chance = 95
		command = { type = trigger which = 2600 } # SOV
		command = { type = relation which = SOV value = 15 }
		command = { type = set_relation which = EST value = -75 }
		command = { type = set_relation which = LAT value = -75 }
		command = { type = set_relation which = LIT value = -75 }
		command = { type = trigger which = 51 } # UK Gears up for war
		command = { type = trigger which = 52 } # France Gears up for war
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME2050B" # Only agree to partition Poland
		ai_chance = 4
		command = { type = trigger which = 2601 } # SOV
		command = { type = relation which = SOV value = 10 }
		command = { type = dissent value = 5 }
		command = { type = trigger which = 51 } # UK Gears up for war
		command = { type = trigger which = 52 } # France Gears up for war
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 2620 }
	}
	action_c = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME2050C" # No deals with the Bolsheviks!
		ai_chance = 1
		command = { type = relation which = SOV value = -20 }
		command = { type = relation which = FIN value = 75 }
		command = { type = relation which = HUN value = 75 }
		command = { type = relation which = ROM value = 50 }
		command = { type = end_non_aggression which = GER where = SOV }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 2620 }
		command = { type = dissent value = 10 }
	}

There was a glitch in HOi2 where if you never annexed poland the Soivets would never attack, so what I did was just surround warsaw but never take it so the soviets did nothing.

It's historical that no M-R pact makes the war unwinnable for Germany.
However...if you invade Poland early '39, and take the Low Countries/France in the summer of that year, then immediately divert your main forces east, you could actually be in quite a good position. It's tactically beneficial, since it's easier to strike north to the baltic, and south to the crimean, and there's fewer marshlands in the middle for you to get bogged down in.

Challenge accepted...

I did it once, but on hard, not very hard. Garrisons on the French border, early invasion of Poland (as soon as the decision was available), 2 weeks to refit the German army, then Barbarossa in september 39. The trick was that the olg guards were in charge. They are almost all logistic wizards (and incidentally moves faster). Plus the minister given a +10% speed bonus. I literally overran the soviet defenses, and it was over before the winter. Then, I concentrated against France, and almost succeeded to defeat it before end of 39. But winter came, and Paris fell in March 40 IIRC. The Baltic States even survived, and one became my ally still IIRC.