garrissons the best to defend a coast?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

juice99

Captain
37 Badges
Jan 17, 2005
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Iron Cross
  • Leviathan: Warships
I read that garissons should be only used for revolt suppression, but whey i look at their stats, they cost same manpower as militia (meaning low), but have higher defence stats. not much lower than normal infrantry

what is even more strage is that they move normally, even though it says they cannot. I order them to move few provinces away and i don't use strategic reallocation, and they move. slowly (max speed 1), but it's better than 0

anyway... i'm planning to put some units as Italy in Africa to defend the coastline from allies, do you think garrissons are good choice for this? militias might be too soft i suppose?

Theres a setting in misc.txt that allows them to move normally like you say with a speed of 1, but I dont think its the default behaviour.

\Darkest Hour\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\db\misc.txt
# Use speed to set garrison status (no move allowed) to land units. 0 - Use old rules (only garrison divisions cannot move), 1 - use unit model speed to determine if it can move (speed > 0) or not (speed = 0)
1 #0

Anyway, if they are able to move, and thus retreat if needed, they should be a good choice for coast defense especially with art brigades.

I read that garissons should be only used for revolt suppression, but whey i look at their stats, they cost same manpower as militia (meaning low), but have higher defence stats. not much lower than normal infrantry

what is even more strage is that they move normally, even though it says they cannot. I order them to move few provinces away and i don't use strategic reallocation, and they move. slowly (max speed 1), but it's better than 0

anyway... i'm planning to put some units as Italy in Africa to defend the coastline from allies, do you think garrissons are good choice for this? militias might be too soft i suppose?

My default for coastal defense is 2xGAR with ART brigades, works fairly well since the A.I. rarely invades with more than 3 units.

i never use more than 1 division on the coast. more than that is almost gamey, IMO. sometimes i keep reserves behind the lines, which is what i think germany did IRL.

but really, ATM, the allied ai never really invades in italy, always opting for greece or yugoslavia, which pisses me off. either way, they're never a real threat.

I'd say it's never worth BUILDING garrisons to defend your coasts - they're too vulnerable. Build a real infantry division instead - that way if the threat disappears you can use them for something else, and if they have to withdarw they're not instantly destroyed. Garrisons just aren't cheap enough to make up for the "destroyed on retreat" problem.

I'd say it's never worth BUILDING garrisons to defend your coasts - they're too vulnerable. Build a real infantry division instead - that way if the threat disappears you can use them for something else, and if they have to withdarw they're not instantly destroyed. Garrisons just aren't cheap enough to make up for the "destroyed on retreat" problem.

is that still a case if they have speed 1 not 0? (i'm using AAR mod which i think changed that..)

My standard is to defend with 2 Militias that have AA brigade in it if vulnerable to air attacks such as those in Normandy. They inflict some damage to aircraft this way. How good they are in land defence is meaningless IMO, because you should always have more troops in reserve to deploy to that province before the amphib battle ends. It's more cost effective to have just 1 militia all over coast and a few decent divs ready to help nearby, than 2 or more static garrisons in every province´.

My standard is to defend with 2 Militias that have AA brigade in it if vulnerable to air attacks such as those in Normandy. They inflict some damage to aircraft this way. How good they are in land defence is meaningless IMO, because you should always have more troops in reserve to deploy to that province before the amphib battle ends. It's more cost effective to have just 1 militia all over coast and a few decent divs ready to help nearby, than 2 or more static garrisons in every province´.

is it actually possible to put already deployed unit back into reserve? or you just mean to hold them somewhere near, so you can strategically redeploy them ?

i could hold some new units in the reserves without deploying them, but other than TC hit, they are deployed with 0 organisation, which is not very helpful

Yeah I keep some troops nearby, covering many coast provinces from one spot, and strat redeploy them when an amphic attack starts. They will make it in time. For example troops in Paris can basically cover the whole Atlantic Wall. Handier and more cost effective than having enought troops in every single province