• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cheexsta

Veni, vidi, vici
60 Badges
Dec 22, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
EItitle.png

Download v0.1d:
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

EIMM01d.jpg

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

IMPORTANT!
Please note that this is an alpha release of EIMM, and so a huge amount of the content has not yet been added! The purpose of this release is to obtain valuable feedback, particularly regarding province positions and names, and country borders.

If you have any suggestions, feedback or any other comments, please post them here.

This mod has been tested on a fresh copy of Rome v2.35 and v2.36b, so ensure that you have patched to one of those versions.

Installation
1. PLEASE create a copy of your EU:Rome directory! The following installation (and uninstallation) steps should be applied to the new copy you created. Install at your own risk if you choose not to do this.
2. Unzip EIMM01d.zip (link given above) to your "\mod" folder.
3. There will be a folder named "Copy to Vanilla" - copy all of the contained folders to your vanilla Rome directory and overwrite everything when prompted.
4. Delete the map cache by opening your "Rome\map\cache" folder and deleting all of the files. Delete the files within the "province_textures" folder as well, but don't delete the folder itself.

Run the mod by selecting "Europa Imperialis" from the mod drop-down box on the game launcher.

NOTE: the first time you run the game, the loading screen will wait at "Calculating Paths..." for up to several minutes. This is normal and will only happen the first time you load the mod (unless you delete the map cache again).
NOTE 2: I've noticed that sometimes the mod will crash at "Creating Graphics" the first time you try to run it. If this happens, please try again before submitting a bugreport.

Uninstallation
1. Download UninstallEIMM01d.zip and unzip it to your Rome directory. Overwrite everything when prompted.
2. Delete the "Rome\mod\Europa Imperialis" and "\Copy to Vanilla" folder, and "Europa Imperialis.mod" file.
3. Delete map cache.

Huge thanks to:
Comontorios
RHKINC
Imperator1993
OberGeneral
Camara

And everyone else who contributed!

Changelog
0.1d:
- Added new colormap (terrain mapmode) for both land and water
- Added adjacencies for straits (thanks OberGeneral)
- Added several new Indian, Arabic and East African subcultures, religions and regions
- Added Indian names (thanks Camara)
- Added basic history for the Chandragupta, Bindusara and Ashoka Maurya
- Simplified and expanded vanilla terrain system - added impassable terrain, mountains, rough mountains and rough ocean (still need to add forest areas)
- Removed sea province names in preparation for localisation plans
- Fixed some localisation issues

0.1c:
- Fixed port rotations
- Fixed sea province unit positions (ships no longer sail around Africa for no apparent reason)
- Fixed major crash bug with Mauryan civil war rebels
- Fixed several text-related bugs involving newline tags in province names (note to modders: doing this is a bad idea)
- Fixed several missions that triggered with province numbers
- Fixed the (incredibly basic) colourmap to actually fit properly
- Added two new provinces: Veneti (Gallia Cisalpina) and Olbia (Sardinia)
- Included the monarchy crash bug fix (as expanded and adapted by mate0815)

0.1b:
- Added cultures.
- Added tradegoods.
- Added basic Indian culture and Hindi religion (will expand these both next version).
- Added ports to all coastal provinces (need to fix rotations).
- Added a modifier to make colonising Arabia Deserta extremely difficult (not yet impossible - that will come in the next version).
- Re-added vanilla events, decisions and history (except for those that affected specific province IDs).
- Assigned provinces to appropriate regions (need to add more regions to India).
- Assigned populations and civilisation values to provinces.
- Several provinces have been shuffled around or borders fixed.
- Several countries have had their borders fixed (and some countries added that I missed, thanks Lofman!).

Last edited:
Nice work. Will look more closely at it later to help provide constructive feedback (did notice that the province of Ases (north of Dacia) and one of the Pontic provinces had their names displayed in the wrong province).

Awesome! I will give it a go and see how it plays out :)

I mentioned this in the other thread, but it's worth repeating:

You will not be able to play a campaign with this early alpha! Most provinces do not have the right culture/religion added, and a while pile of features are still to be added.

I look forward to hearing all feedback :)

Update: I'm working at making the next alpha release somewhat playable, so have added an approximation of cultures and religions around the world, and have distributed populations. Population numbers are mostly low, with small colonies, desert regions and islands being restricted to <10 pop, while an average city has 10-15 pop. Large cities (e.g. Roma, Carthago) can have 20-30 pop, while bustling metropolises (e.g. Antiocheia, Alexandreia) have up to 40. The end result is that empires like the Seleucids have a huge overall population (about the same as Egypt and Maurya combined), but most of it is concentrated in specific areas and much of it is wrong culture/religion.

Just for kicks I've started a "hands-off" campaign, just to see what would happen. It's been very interesting - Rome got smashed by Magna Graecia (!), and the Seleucids got a little ahead of themselves and lost several of their Eastern provinces to the Mauryans. The game has so far gone for about five years, with no crashes yet (touch wood).

Next task is to add tradegoods and ports, then we'll be ready for a new alpha version :)

Just a quick question before I download this - what kind of speed does this run at? I find that vanilla Rome takes about fifteen minutes for one year at maximum speed, and while I'd love to help test this mod, I couldn't be much use if it runs any slower than vanilla.

In my tests it has been running at about the same speed as vanilla, though I imagine the later stages of the game will get sluggish more quickly than in vanilla. It will depend on your computer, though.

Also, the next alpha will be out very, very soon, so I'd just wait for that. Tradegoods and ports have been added (though I need to fix their rotations...damn that stuff makes no sense), so the only task remaining is to distribute provinces amongst regions.

The next version should be available in a day or two :)

I haven't tried this, but is there any chance that the "Nudge" (I think that's what it's called - can be enabled in the personal settings txt file) for CK2 can work on the map? It allows you to edit positions in-game.

Looking forward to next alpha, once again great work. Noticed that Sequani and Helvetii (as well as Rhoxolani) are generic barbarians unlike the other vanilla tribes. Will look more closely at province ownership when the next version comes, though for Carthage they should probably have Hippo Regius, while Akragas should go to Syracuse (and potentially independent at later time when new countries are added if it is decided it is worth giving them a tag). And shouldn't Rome have some of those northern provinces (until, like Akragas, new countries are added for those places if needed)? Iberia should probably have the province south of Colchis (if all the maps I have seen of them are anything to go by).

Now on to some actual criticism. Paphlagonia, the lack of it or the inland part of it to be more specific. Works for now in 474 as Pontus is given the coastal cities, but if they are added as independent countries things will be problematic for Pontus (as they should not have those cities, but do have the inland), and with later starts, what to do with the independent Paphlagonia that should actually exist? It should not have the city of Sinope (which should be the capital of Pontus at roughly that tiem) but a large part of that province so what to do? But apart from that minor issue, great map.

Vanin: I've never heard of that, I suspect it is probably a feature added only with CK2, but I'll have to look into it.

Lofman: thanks for the extensive feedback, I'll admit that the province ownerships were added in haste to get the first alpha out. I'll have a closer look at all of those things before releasing the next version. One thing I will comment on, though, is on Rome: I didn't give them any more northern provinces since they didn't hold them at this time. As you say, though, it might be better to give them more until I've added some more countries. That sort of balancing thing will be looked at in more detail when we enter beta stage :)

Thanks again, this is exactly the kind of feedback I'm after.

v0.1b is released. See first post for details.

If you have the old version installed, simply delete your "Europa Imperialis" mod folder and install this one straight over where it was. You don't need to copy anything to the vanilla folders if you already did so for the last version.

Changelog
0.1b:
- Added cultures.
- Added tradegoods.
- Added basic Indian culture and Hindi religion (will expand these both next version).
- Added ports to all coastal provinces (need to fix rotations).
- Added a modifier to make colonising Arabia Deserta extremely difficult (not yet impossible - that will come in the next version).
- Re-added vanilla events, decisions and history (except for those that affected specific province IDs).
- Assigned provinces to appropriate regions (need to add more regions to India).
- Assigned populations and civilisation values to provinces.
- Several provinces have been shuffled around or borders fixed.
- Several countries have had their borders fixed (and some countries added that I missed, thanks Lofman!).

Roman naval paths aren't correct. Ships don't show when at sea.
Paths are being re-calculated every time I start the game.
Eutruria has no capital.

Last edited:
Vanin: I've never heard of that, I suspect it is probably a feature added only with CK2, but I'll have to look into it.
It's CK2 only as far as I know, but considering that the formats for the map in both games are the same, bar the normal map, maybe it's possible to use it when editing positions files when working on maps for other games as well.

Roman naval paths aren't correct. Ships don't show when at sea.
Paths are being re-calculated every time I start the game.
Eutruria has no capital.
Trust me to forget something :blush: (EDIT: previous positions fix has been removed; see next post.)

Etruria, along with several hundred other provinces, has "temp" has its capital because I haven't gotten around to adding them all. They'll come in a later version, but aren't completely necessary for the game to run.

It's CK2 only as far as I know, but considering that the formats for the map in both games are the same, bar the normal map, maybe it's possible to use it when editing positions files when working on maps for other games as well.
The CK2 positions file is formatted very differently to EUR, so that wouldn't work.

It's weird, because there appear to be gui files for the nudge interface in Rome and EU3, so it must be something that was deactivated before release. Adding enable_nudge=yes (or whatever the code was for CK2) to settings.txt does nothing and the game simply deletes the line. Just going to have to keep using MichaelM's positions editor.

Last edited:
Bah, that one still doesn't work. I don't get it? :wacko:

Edit: BINGO! Turns out that sea provinces use text_position for the position of ships, not unit like you'd expect (and would make sense). Ho hum, this messes up a few plans.

I'm just thankful it wasn't my initial fear that everything bugs out if you have too many sea provinces. That would have ruined this entire project...

Anyway, fix is attached to this post (and the OP). THE GAME IS PLAYABLE NOW!

On the plus side, the game seems to calculate paths more quickly now.

Attachments

• EIMM01bfix2.zip
    44,1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Thanks Cheexsta, that helped somewhat but ships still take a big loop through the Mediterranean and down the west coast of Africa then make a big turn and come all the way back. I cannot move a fleet into 770 and 771. Ships show in harbours but not out to sea.

Thanks for the feedback OberGeneral, but I can't reproduce the error. Are you sure that you have downloaded and installed the second fixed positions file? When you run the game, do you see the names (well, numbers) of the sea provinces on the campaign map? (If you don't, it means that you need to reinstall the new positions file.)

I'm currently playing a fun Rome game now with no issues. Only defeated Magna Graecia with no small amount of luck, too...

Yes, I have the correct positions file installed.
I am also playing a Rome game and defeated Magna Graecia as well as the Achean League.
Achean League was a challenge due to the sea provinces problem that I am having and because
I can not move ships into 770 or 771 I could not land toops in Aetolian League.
Also I installed the diploannex files and diplomatically annexed Massalia.

Only other thing I can think of is to delete the EI map cache (you only need to delete the cache in the mod folder, not the textures and such). If that doesn't fix it, then I can only suggest a reinstall.