• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So what's the history surrounding the HOI series? Would love to know who came up with the idea.

EDIT: What baffles me is that nowhere in any of the histories is the HOI series even mentioned. What gives?

Last edited:
Reactions:
I look forward to reading this, I just have a very shallow view of things that happened before I started.

And Gars... No way. August 2009. :)

2009 was definitely THE year. 5 years, so fast.

Fun fact, when i started in 2009, i looked at the games and though, "what do I need to make these games look great", made a mental list, and started nagging about the things we NEED. 4 years late, we have Eu4, all the things I had on that list are now in. (Shadows, particle effects, smooth terrain, Normal-mapping, Units walking, etc)
So in many ways, Eu4 was the culmination of several years work, spanning multiple projects. I was really proud of Eu4 on release.

I was hired 2013 april 2nd Johan.

Ive been working with paradox as a freelancer before that since 2004 I think. Loved every minute of it. :)

Wasn't there a Project Reagan? Could have sworn I recall that, though not what it turned into.

A very nice article!

I wonder what Paradox Entertainment's failed "ambitious free-to-play massively multiplayer first-person shooter" was... It says: "Had the title been completed it could have been revolutionary".

Warzone.. those guys working on it became a company called Avalance Studios..

And they are making Mad Max now for Warner Bros. Which is going to be like Fallout but bigger. :-x

We didnt really have a project name for Hoi1/HoI2, and I dont remember the v2, and rome codenames.. Does anyone recall?

At no point in my involvement in V2 was I aware of a codename.

I think it was Project Regina.

Let me reiterate what I said above. Victoria 2 was Project Regina, and this time I bring proof: click! You can read about people speculating whether it's Vic2 and then being very happy when it turns out it is.

and @RRW: strange that you weren't aware of a codename, given that you participated in abovelinked thread ;). You were the one who made me aware of the unfortunate pronunciation of "Regina" by the English-speaking world. :)

Hmm, was the game anything like Just Cause?

You know you look at all the people working for PI/PDX now and I am amazed of the quality of games early on, must have been some long nights.

Don't forget to add me.
I started playing PDS games a little after the turn of the century and I joined the forum once I had the internet in 2005 (blowin anyones mind?). ;)

Really love seeing the history being companies, who are the key people and where they take off the ups and downs.

Would really like to see some info on HoI 2 it was what got me into paradox titles and for me HoI 2 was really polish and full of content.

Very insightful... As someone who was introduced to Paradox last year with the bigger games like CK2 and EUIV I never knew what the history of paradox was.

Unfortunately you missed a closing quotation mark on Boel 'Regina' Bermann

A slight factual clarification...

EU1 released in Europe circa autumn of 2000 and North America late winter of 2001. EU2 released world-wide in autumn of 2001.

Cheers,

State