• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(425201)

Colonel
3 Badges
Dec 19, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
I have started a Steppe Wolf game as Georgia, starting in 1096, the year of the start of the First Crusade. "Whoop-de-do', you may think, "Just another short AAR from PdoxNewbie". Well, that might be true, but right now, I'm in the AARing spirit, so maybe I could get a few updates in today. The first update should come soon.

Last edited:
Chapter 1- Surrounded by Nomads

I open the game, and, as usual in Steppe Wolf games, I can't see anything.
jseh5d.jpg

However, this changes when I unpause the game. I immediately discover my own territory, and, by event, I discover Europe.
1zppqh4.jpg

My ruler is an absolute moron. The only reason he has one star in military is probably because he survived some riots of people angry because of his failures as a king.
10eesg8.jpg

I go Centralized, and I get a "large" revolt, of 4,000 people. Again, this king has probably survived more.
2j45af8.jpg

I named this after nomads because I start in two wars against hordes. However, I am not the only ones. The Cumans are also at war with Kievan Rus (which is freaking huge, as you will see), as well as Byzantium, because they border them, not just us. As for the Seljuks, it is even worse. They at war with many countries, including the Abbassid Caliphate, Byzantium and the Ghaznavids, as well as the other countries in the East.
2u9lgf8.jpg

Here is the known world, after another event and a wave of Spreads of Discoveries:
t8xc39.jpg

I commission a painting and get a (crappy) Master of the Mint, like I do in most of my games (only i try and get a decent one- at the start of this game, I had no cultural tradition, and just one magistrate)
2ahwu37.jpg

I then proceed to sit through several crappy alliance offers. These are the ones I remember:
Raska- too far away, and is likely to get into a fight with Hungary or Byzantium
Ethiopia- too far away, and is likely to get into a fight with the Abbassid Caliphate
Sinnar- too far away
Milan- too far away, and is likely to get into a fight with Austria

I couldn't have gotten an alliance with Byzantium (the only decent alliance that I had a chance of getting, along with, maybe, Kievan Rus), because I didn't know about anything, including my own lands. Sometimes, Steppe Wolf just doesn't make sense to me.

When I'm done with killing the rebels (it really isn't that hard), I march my troops to the valuable lands of Fanagoria. I then proceed to assault and seize it as a colony (this is new in Steppe Wolf- I think if the owner of a province is tribal, you can seize their lands when occupied- I'll have to check that, though).
fmb09.jpg

255p01i.jpg

While I was going there, I got a good event giving Free Subjects, and got more Spreads of Discoveries.
2qia6fr.jpg

2n6ycec.jpg

Unfortunately, taking Fanagoria had me border yet another horde.
30m5uz6.jpg

Why not take another province, while we're at it?
2d2hg5u.jpg

What about another one?
2v32828.jpg

The Seljuks took my capital in the middle of this. This is what happened while I was sending my army back:
112e4hi.jpg

That'll be it for today.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you guys think of the new JPEG images. Rather than using the snipping tool with my .bmp images, I now take the screenshots directly to Paint, and save them as a JPEG image, as I was told they were smaller than PNG files, if I recall correctly. But with that being said, it seems everytime I make another one of them, it gets bigger than the one before it. Does anyone have a solution?

Chapter 2- Hordes are no match for the Georgian might!

I thought I'd make another update, to catch up with what's going on real time. Enjoy!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I get a decent new heir. I would've liked a strong claim, but I guess this will do.
11acu1w.png

I am able to defend against the Pecheneg army. Perfect! Unfortunately though, I got the place they were retreating to wrong, so their army is still there.
15nsndx.jpg

2qbd72o.jpg

Might as well take the city back as well.
29pt6xh.jpg

Meanwhile, the Seljuks besiege my capital (they would go on to win it before I got there).
zo035.jpg

Everyone in red (except for the Seljuks) are part of the First Crusade. If the Abbasids manage to connect their lands, either by conquering the Holy Land (they are doing that pretty well right now), or colonizing the south (which I've seen them do before), they might have a fighting chance, but now, the inevitably constant naval invasions of Egypt seem to be too much for their military stationed there.
142zqpx.jpg

People never learn...:rolleyes:
1hukc2.jpg

Meanwhile...
20tl0rk.jpg

Despite a -5 terrain malice, I am able to hand the horde their behinds.
2091x07.jpg

News of a civilization named "Swahili" (btw, yes class, Swahili was one unified civilization) is received.
29vbfj6.jpg

This ought a teach 'em a lesson...
2irvmzp.jpg

This also...
w2onsk.jpg

Derp! I totally forgot about merchants... Well, with the price of these COTs, sending merchants seems very, very risky.
2d9wsuu.jpg

My Orthodox buddies, doing their jobs:
1zv5254.jpg

Apparently, the message is starting to sink in with the Seljuks...
2uqc3z9.jpg

...However, it's too late. I still crush them (again, despite the -5 penalty)
4ruj6b.jpg

We take back our capital from the horde.
34exjy8.jpg

Basically, we defeat that army again, but, yet again, fail to recognize their retreating site. Sigh.

I am now caught up. I leave you with this empire screenshot (which includes the progress of many different invasions going on. The ones we are most interested in are the ones involving the Seljuks. We want that land, darn it!)
19kql5.jpg

Interesting. I like the idea of most Steppe Wolf scenarios I've seen but the bugginess seems to be a gamekiller before too long - is that true?

Interesting. I like the idea of most Steppe Wolf scenarios I've seen but the bugginess seems to be a gamekiller before too long - is that true?
The corrupted saves should have been fixed with the update I'm playing with. Let's cross our fingers and hope that's true.

I am fairly certain that hordes act like giant colonies in DW 5.2 (?), so maybe claiming their lands like that is normal in the vanilla game. Not sure tho, as I abhor fighting hordes and tend not to pick anybody that starts out anywhere close to the timmies or golden.

Can't the Abbasids just march their men through the uncolonized land? Unless the Suez canal is around, there's no way the crusaders can send a fleet to block that.

Anywho, I'll be following your AAR now. Good luck with the Steppe Wolfe. I've never finished a game without it breaking down on me a few years in.

I am fairly certain that hordes act like giant colonies in DW 5.2 (?), so maybe claiming their lands like that is normal in the vanilla game. Not sure tho, as I abhor fighting hordes and tend not to pick anybody that starts out anywhere close to the timmies or golden.
I am using the 5.1 version, so it is an addition to the mod.
Can't the Abbasids just march their men through the uncolonized land? Unless the Suez canal is around, there's no way the crusaders can send a fleet to block that.
The attrition would kill off a lot of the troops before getting there.
Anywho, I'll be following your AAR now. Good luck with the Steppe Wolfe. I've never finished a game without it breaking down on me a few years in.
Thanks!:)

Which version of steppe wolf fixed the corrupt saves? Nice aar btw.
Version 2 of Vsemirna Vlast (for 5.1), or the newest version of the Coin, the Sabre and the Pigeon (for 5.2b) should have.

interesting. Also, I have never really had a problem with corrupted saves with any version of SW I have played. And I have played some rather long games. Of course, there were a few I had to stop because of CTD events.

I thought that was what a corrupted save was; when you can no longer continue because the game keeps crashing. If that isn't it, then I have never had a corrupted save.

Chapter 3- Nomadic Doomstacks

I make two new decisions. Here are the decisions and their impacts.
2ivxitt.jpg

Finally! A decent alliance!
e5mypg.jpg

4 merchants in Lübeck! Awesome!
w7n37o.jpg

The amount of Kievan Rus' military in this picture alone is around 6 times the size of my entire army.
ndrnnq.jpg

The Second Crusade commences.
29xyecx.jpg

Byzantium was previously going through land that is now mine to get to the Seljuks, but now they are besieging a province that I want. I try and give them military access, but they refuse.
sgn9ye.jpg

Really, Kievan Rus!? I thought you were my ally!
4ibm88.jpg

I have 6 less regiments than my support limit allows. I get to work. This screenshot also shows the progress of horde invasions (it isn't looking good for them).
1grxcl.jpg

Some stuff going on in India (as well as the HRE). The black line shows the approximate full front line of the Sindhi front of the Seljuk wars.
ykjet.jpg

I get the Cities Demand Old Rights event. The other option is Decentralization, and there is no way I'm going in that direction.
24cbm9i.jpg

Austria annexes Venice, giving Austria their Center of Trade.
3486kc8.jpg

The Seljuks put together a doomstack.
k9fa02.jpg

Seeing as this is more than twice the size of my enitre army, this needs to be stopped. At first I try triggering a patriot rebel, but it is quickly defeated. The only option at this point is to peace out.
34q2rg7.jpg

Then, another doomstack appears...
2vj3pqx.jpg

This time, however, I put my army together and engage it. I win.
2zf0byt.jpg

...But then, while persuing, I lose.
nvqnpw.jpg

Looking back, attempting to spawn another rebel army might not have been the worst idea, but I offer them peace instead.
qyye0p.jpg

This is a risky move, however, as this opens up the possibility that other people might get to provinces first, and every bit of land is crucial at this point.

But on the good news...
1fg58y.jpg

Poor Khitan...
2zxwi3b.jpg

A map of most of the known world thus far (only 3 years from the start). In case you are wondering, the countries in Estonia are, in clockwise order from the bright yellow and excluding Riga, Barcelona, Schleswig, Hainaut, and Pommerania (in the islands). To view the full image, right click and click "open image in new tab" (or just "open image").
xe0mqd.jpg

I wonder what will happen with the normans :rubhands:
subscribed
Is there a new version of steppe wolf? i didn't know

Do you fel you are making progress?

And do you want to go north or south?

Do you fel you are making progress?

And do you want to go north or south?
Basically, I want to beat people to as much land as possible (so both north and south), so that later I can stand a chance with them in combat (but then again, if this doomstack stuff continues, that will be impossible). I don't feel I am making too much progress... when the truces end, however...

Just an announcement: my game (not as of the update) has come to a point of hopelessness. I have no other choice than to reload a previous save (it is after the most recent update though, so it won't effect the update). There was no chance of continuing (the task was insurmountable), no way I was going to start over, and no way I was going to abandon this AAR (it would be my sixth consecutive abandoned AAR, and the fourth one abandoned because of my choice).

Just an announcement: my game (not as of the update) has come to a point of hopelessness. I have no other choice than to reload a previous save (it is after the most recent update though, so it won't effect the update). There was no chance of continuing (the task was insurmountable), no way I was going to start over, and no way I was going to abandon this AAR (it would be my sixth consecutive abandoned AAR, and the fourth one abandoned because of my choice).

Well we wouldn't want to ruin your ratio would we. :p

I don't see the need for an announcement if it doesn't bother the previous update.