• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

knoddy

Lt. General
2 Badges
Jul 8, 2008
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hi guys,, quick question, playing Vae Victis, playing as Rome i think the year is about 520 and I have no-one available to become legats of my armies even tho if I go into characters and look at unemployed there are heaps of guys but when i click on the army to put someone in charge there is nobody available.

Cheers knoddy

If you hover over the "assign general" button on your army, you'll see that there is some requirements that need to be made, before a character can become a legate.

You can also attach your army to the regional governor, but it has to stay in that particular region.

I forgot how it works in vanilla, but I think I remember that characters who has been praetor, can be legates. So remember to shuffle high martial characters through the praetor post.

Also don't forget that characters, who are fired from their post too early, lose some loyalty.

nvm after some searching i found out its a tech job, ill have to start rotating people thru so that i can get generals again :S and ill also start putting some diff guys into the censors/proconsul position so that they can be generals too.

Cheers Knoddy

Also during a war senate will appoint some random unemployed dudes as legates. Since it's random you usually get crap generals.

Also, ex-leaders can become generals as well.

One thing I will try to do is rotate my Governors as much as possible so that my high Martial trait characters have at least been a governor once and become quite prominent in society. Even if they don't qualify for being a Legate, it makes the Senate more likely to appoint them during a war. I will also rotate them through Censor, Quesator, and Aedile positions to to gain prominence from having been a previous minister. That is, unless I need to maintain my Censors to help with a faction's ability to recruit members.

Semi-related subject matter: Am I the only one who thinks that high martial legate, suffers from what I call "the Achilles syndrome". Meaning that they die young or in combat, more often then characters with a lower martial skill score!?

Both of those are governed by events, meaning their mechanics are completely transparent; in both cases, they're just as likely to die as anyone else.

Maybe high-martial characters might appear to die more often because you're using them in combat more? They'd probably gain more rivals as well, for the same reason, and thus might become the target of assassinations more regularly. Just a thought.

Career paths for Rome so characters can become Legates:

Consul or Former Consul -> Legate
Praetor -> Former Praetor -> Legate

and

Pontifex Maximus -> Former Pontifex Maximus (costs some loyalty to replace him) -> Censor -> Former Censor (he must be a Former to qualify as a Legate even though Legates can also be Censors) -> Legate

If you can handle the loyalty drops from the last path, you can effectively churn all of your worthwhile characters through to have lots of possible Legates. Between that and the Senate appointing replacements you should never have a problem again.