• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How do you prevent the following from popping up:
- Naval race with [insert country]
Novgorod starts with a quite okay fleet, so the only eligible rival typically should be the TO. In that case.... Well, I waited for them to be defeated by the scandinavian player, but you are right, its not possible to avoid it.
- Protect from [insert country]
Fullfill it, you need those troops anyway (i went for 30k for the first war against muscovy).
- Improve relationship with [insert country]
Likewise, fullfill it, since you will be able to get a diplo 7-9 ruler quite easy and the strategy relies on low infamy so you can do it quite easily with one gift, further reducing infamy.
- Vassalize [insert country]
Do it, but make sure the country becomes an OPM in the peacedeal so you will get the right core through the diploannex mission
- Ally with [insert country]
Tricky one, though i seldomly see that mission, its not THAT common
The biggest problem is getting a mission on a horde province that is not moscow. But all in all I think you can see that you can deal with most missions.
Btw, all this goes by the assumption that every war is trivially winable, which really is probably not the case for every player, not to sound in any way arrogant though, I know for a fact that I am far below average as far as landwarring goes (in a MP sense), but knowing enough of the AI quirks really helps a lot.

Novgorod starts with a quite okay fleet, so the only eligible rival typically should be the TO. In that case.... Well, I waited for them to be defeated by the scandinavian player, but you are right, its not possible to avoid it.

Fullfill it, you need those troops anyway (i went for 30k for the first war against muscovy).

Likewise, fullfill it, since you will be able to get a diplo 7-9 ruler quite easy and the strategy relies on low infamy so you can do it quite easily with one gift, further reducing infamy.

Do it, but make sure the country becomes an OPM in the peacedeal so you will get the right core through the diploannex mission

Tricky one, though i seldomly see that mission, its not THAT common

Hmm... maybe I should game the missions like you do.

The biggest problem is getting a mission on a horde province that is not moscow.
And how do you destroy Muscovy's troops to enable a horde takeover? It's a roll of dice when it comes to getting the CB unless you switch to Catholic and using Cleansing of Heresy.

I know for a fact that I am far below average as far as landwarring goes (in a MP sense), but knowing enough of the AI quirks really helps a lot.
Well, at least you don't lose your entire army as Poland in a war with Austria tsk tsk.

My issue with Novgorod is that Novgorod's sliders are really bad for playing Russia.

Russia's a land-based juggernaut, not a sea titan, and in the long run Russia is better as a Mercantilist state. Russia is perfectly positioned to blob across Asia, and megablobs that absorb every CoT in their path have no need for Free Trade.

My issue with Novgorod is that Novgorod's sliders are really bad for playing Russia.

Russia's a land-based juggernaut, not a sea titan, and in the long run Russia is better as a Mercantilist state. Russia is perfectly positioned to blob across Asia, and megablobs that absorb every CoT in their path have no need for Free Trade.
I haven't played vanilla for a long while, but my memory tells me that mercantilism gives compete chance on own CoT and +1 spy whereas free trade gives compete chance across the board and trade efficiency. Unless you are pressing for the spies, it can be better to go free trade because of the general bonus to compete chance and trade efficiency which lets you get more trade income and compete in other CoT's. While the uncored CoT's can hurt a bit, you can always game the local trade map in such a way that you can kill the uncore CoT's and then build an alternate one in a nearby core province.

And how do you destroy Muscovy's troops to enable a horde takeover? It's a roll of dice when it comes to getting the CB unless you switch to Catholic and using Cleansing of Heresy.
The key is maxing out their war exhaustion and taking their away their libertum veto (sp?). After that they wont ever, ever recover, so you only need to wait for the horde to declare war on them, which should happen sooner or later (or might not happen at all, depends a lot on your luck I think). After that, well, wait for them to occupy moscow and then DoW the horde (I actually didnt do that but luckily was still rewarded for it) and make sure they dont absorb all of muscovy (as I said its not needed that much).
Well, at least you don't lose your entire army as Poland in a war with Austria tsk tsk.
You know the truely saddening thing? I recently found out that the person you are talking about is actually competent enough to somewhat hold his own against Elcyion, who is around Pewts skill level. Turns out his biggest weakness is lack of diplo and nationbuilding and ecconomy and ..."insert everything but landwarring"

E: Regarding Sliders: Novgorods sliders are awesome. It starts of as a free trader and not that narrowminded. That means you can reach the westernization sliders by 1460 or so (-5 centra and -3 inno that is). After that you can have free trade, free subjects and land maxed out around the middle of the 16th century, which brings you quite close to the perfect slider composition. Mercantilism as russia is garbage for these simple reasons: Even a fully formed Russia has maybe 5k in Cot's, simply because the provinces are not THAT rich. Most of that money can be siphoned into siberian cots which only few nations can reach, so you can get that precious full monopoly anyway.

The key is maxing out their war exhaustion and taking their away their libertum veto (sp?). After that they wont ever, ever recover, so you only need to wait for the horde to declare war on them, which should happen sooner or later (or might not happen at all, depends a lot on your luck I think). After that, well, wait for them to occupy moscow and then DoW the horde (I actually didnt do that but luckily was still rewarded for it) and make sure they dont absorb all of muscovy (as I said its not needed that much).
The part I find difficult would be to get the CB, since it'd take some luck or deliberate (costly) maneuver.

You know the truely saddening thing? I recently found out that the person you are talking about is actually competent enough to somewhat hold his own against Elcyion, who is around Pewts skill level. Turns out his biggest weakness is lack of diplo and nationbuilding and ecconomy and ..."insert everything but landwarring"
Sans his RAWWWRRRR __LAND SMASH attitude, he's not a terrible player. I miss his old avatar, though, since that gave a pretty innocent impression.

On a side note, it seems like his alter-ego ______cler is back.

simply because the provinces are not THAT rich.
How easy is it for Russia to blob all the way to India in MP?

Mercantilism as russia is garbage for these simple reasons: Even a fully formed Russia has maybe 5k in Cot's, simply because the provinces are not THAT rich. Most of that money can be siphoned into siberian cots which only few nations can reach, so you can get that precious full monopoly anyway.

So don't limit yourself to Russian land. Russia should be making its money in India, China or Persia, not just Siberia (which is good for the copper and iron, but as you said, not THAT rich).

Russia is a blob nation, not a hypertrader.

So don't limit yourself to Russian land. Russia should be making its money in India, China or Persia, not just Siberia (which is good for the copper and iron, but as you said, not THAT rich).

Russia is a blob nation, not a hypertrader.
Why cant russia be both? Most of Russias Expansion is BB free(Horde), or relatively cheap (holy war). Mercantilism doesnt work as good as you would think, simply because Free Trade is better. It even works rather well for them, since its one of those nations that just has the room to build lvl 6 Trade buildings and still stay competetive (MP only of course).
Regarding Russia going into India, China and Persia: India is kinda hard in a MP situation since more often than not players will start to take it over around lt 14, so most likely before you reach it. Persia is not that rich and in the Ottoman sphere. China is where Russia should aspire to go. But still, there is no reason to go for mercantilism as Russia, neither in SP nor in MP. In SP you can dominate the whole world (as in all of it) without really flexing your muscles. In MP you will still fare better as a free trader and also get those juicy "trading in" boni.

You're forgetting about the Empire, Chronicler; Blobhemia or Austria will still kick your ass.

Warring against the Catholic world is not the best plan for Russia's early expansion, and by the time you are ready to turn west, Russia will have oceans.

Finally, even if you don't have oceans, your target probably does. Castille, France or what have you can come through their territory into Russia. (Which you want. You want them to march into scorched Russian earth in the wintertime.)

There are nations between Muscowy and the empire.

I made myself emperor early game with Muscowy by attacking and vassalizing the electors.

I used to attack countries without CB, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
It gets better - he would have to force-convert the Electors before their vassalization mattered for purposes of getting elected. In some cases that's no problem but he might be fighting multiple no-CB wars for a couple of the Electors.

Plus there's dealing with the HR Emperor, not to mention even getting there. In the "early game."

It gets better - he would have to force-convert the Electors before their vassalization mattered for purposes of getting elected.
That turns out not to be the case. A vassalized elector will ignore their overlord's heresy (I've had vassalized electors flip religion before. I only lost their vote for as long as it took me to repair relations.)

Plus there's dealing with the HR Emperor, not to mention even getting there. In the "early game."
In the early game, Bohemia won't have MA with Poland, Lithuania, or the TO, but Muscovy has a reasonable chance of negotiating an MA path from Moscow to the Rhineland.

That turns out not to be the case. A vassalized elector will ignore their overlord's heresy (I've had vassalized electors flip religion before. I only lost their vote for as long as it took me to repair relations.)

In the early game, Bohemia won't have MA with Poland, Lithuania, or the TO, but Muscovy has a reasonable chance of negotiating an MA path from Moscow to the Rhineland.
Hmm. I've had situations where they would not ignore heresy, but then again it may have been negative relations and not automatic-no-vote.

And I'm not certain how things are in your game, but in mine I rather frequently notice Bohemia marching through Teutonic Order (sometimes in war, not always though) with MA, so if I were to try this, I'd have to face HRE Bohemia.

Hmm. I've had situations where they would not ignore heresy, but then again it may have been negative relations and not automatic-no-vote.

And I'm not certain how things are in your game, but in mine I rather frequently notice Bohemia marching through Teutonic Order (sometimes in war, not always though) with MA, so if I were to try this, I'd have to face HRE Bohemia.
It doesn't matter that much, since Russian territories have very high attrition without scorch earth. However, I wouldn't be that hot about vassalizing electors that are so far away. In SP, being the HRE is not really that important unless you want to get Imperial Ban and extra magistrates.

It doesn't matter that much, since Russian territories have very high attrition without scorch earth. However, I wouldn't be that hot about vassalizing electors that are so far away. In SP, being the HRE is not really that important unless you want to get Imperial Ban and extra magistrates.
Or a ridiculous quantity of manpower and force limit to better leverage the dirt-cheap recruiting costs associated with being Aristo/Land/Serfdom/Quantity :)

Or a ridiculous quantity of manpower and force limit to better leverage the dirt-cheap recruiting costs associated with being Aristo/Land/Serfdom/Quantity :)
Still, you cant honestly tell me that you think its a good idea for muscovy to attack the HRE before forming russia. The drop in War capacity alone is enough to seriously hurt you. And after you formed russia and got your cores you have practically infinite MP and FL anyway.

In my opinion Novgorod is much better as long as you know you won't have to fight very big and decisive wars early on, but with minting it's possible to win in any case with a bit of luck. If I know I can acquire the provs needed for Russia and stay friendly with my neighbours I would pick it in any MP game. Maybe I'm missing some arguments but I didn't read the second page at all. Anyway my 2 cents.

Why cant russia be both? Most of Russias Expansion is BB free(Horde), or relatively cheap (holy war). Mercantilism doesnt work as good as you would think, simply because Free Trade is better. It even works rather well for them, since its one of those nations that just has the room to build lvl 6 Trade buildings and still stay competetive (MP only of course).
Regarding Russia going into India, China and Persia: India is kinda hard in a MP situation since more often than not players will start to take it over around lt 14, so most likely before you reach it. Persia is not that rich and in the Ottoman sphere. China is where Russia should aspire to go. But still, there is no reason to go for mercantilism as Russia, neither in SP nor in MP. In SP you can dominate the whole world (as in all of it) without really flexing your muscles. In MP you will still fare better as a free trader and also get those juicy "trading in" boni.
I agree that Russia is probably better as a Free Trader (unless you somehow know that you'll get stupid amounts of asian land) but saying "Free Trade is better" as a blanket statement isn't true. There are countries which can make Mercantilism work (the Ottoman Empire and The Hansa are probably the two best examples).