• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

calvinhobbeslik

Field Marshal
22 Badges
Nov 29, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
The immediate idea is of course to reconquer Latin America, but that's infamy heavy, so I've decided to just sphere them and to try and push the UK and France out of the area instead. However, I still need to expand SOMEWHERE(so I can get more soldiers to fight the UK and France with). Which areas of the world have you expanded to as Spain? I don't really like the thought of trying to colonise most of Africa, because that's gotten boring and I'd have to fight my wars in Africa as well, something I don't want to do.

The immediate idea is of course to reconquer Latin America, but that's infamy heavy, so I've decided to just sphere them and to try and push the UK and France out of the area instead. However, I still need to expand SOMEWHERE(so I can get more soldiers to fight the UK and France with). Which areas of the world have you expanded to as Spain? I don't really like the thought of trying to colonise most of Africa, because that's gotten boring and I'd have to fight my wars in Africa as well, something I don't want to do.

Personally, I go for colonies in asia due to their high pop, and start to slowly take Italy, in fact unless I am playing a country that is not on the med, I always take it, and I did take every single island (except malta, that was sphered) in a sweden game)

Personally, I go for colonies in asia due to their high pop, and start to slowly take Italy, in fact unless I am playing a country that is not on the med, I always take it, and I did take every single island (except malta, that was sphered) in a sweden game)

Hmm, is there a way I can conquer any Chinese states with my relatively small army?

By "every single island," you mean Sardinia and Sicily?

The Biggest Reconquest I did of the Original Spanish Empire was Mexico and that's it, I'd go for the Asian Territories like Dai Nam and Brunei, just like Connor Mulhern Said. I conquered Dai Nam as Texas once and a Got I had a Huge Brigade Recruitment Number from Dai Nam. Dai Nam also gives you nice Industry Resources.

Hmm, is there a way I can conquer any Chinese states with my relatively small army?

By "every single island," you mean Sardinia and Sicily?

Yep, and the pope was my vassal ^-^

and the best way to take China it to get Vietnam, then provoke them to attacking you there on the hilly areas, then just keep rotating and resting your units, the Chinese will eventually run out of soldiers, then you start pushing in slowly until they give in. You can start to take more little by little after than, and eventually you can control the caost, and if you want, annex the entire thing

I just recently finished a Spain game (albeit with APD), and what I did was:

-Made a small protectorate in America (consisting of Panama, the region of Columbia east of Panama, and the far western region of Venezuela)
-Annexed Morocco and created a fairly large African territory consisting of Morocco, the Suez region, the sub Sahara, central africa, and the Congo basin
-Created a southeast Asian empire of Dai Nam, Cambodia, Johore, Java, Atjeh, Jambi, Borneo, Sulawesi, and Bali (in APD most of these are native nations which the Netherlands tends to get CBs for and eat up quickly, but I manage to grab them before they could)
-Put all of Italy but Savoy in my sphere, and annexed Sicily and Sardinia
-Built the Suez and Panama canals
-I might've puppeted Portugal, but I don't remember

I just recently finished a Spain game (albeit with APD), and what I did was:

-Made a small protectorate in America (consisting of Panama, the region of Columbia east of Panama, and the far western region of Venezuela)
-Annexed Morocco and created a fairly large African territory consisting of Morocco, the Suez region, the sub Sahara, central africa, and the Congo basin
-Created a southeast Asian empire of Dai Nam, Cambodia, Johore, Java, Atjeh, Jambi, Borneo, Sulawesi, and Bali (in APD most of these are native nations which the Netherlands tends to get CBs for and eat up quickly, but I manage to grab them before they could)
-Put all of Italy but Savoy in my sphere, and annexed Sicily and Sardinia
-Built the Suez and Panama canals
-I might've puppeted Portugal, but I don't remember

Doesn't PDM have 15 infamy for protectorating uncivs before you research nationalism and imperialism? And don't the Dutch take them by then(I ask because I'm using NNM, which is like PDM without the POP mechanics changes)

and the best way to take China it to get Vietnam, then provoke them to attacking you there on the hilly areas, then just keep rotating and resting your units, the Chinese will eventually run out of soldiers, then you start pushing in slowly until they give in. You can start to take more little by little after than, and eventually you can control the caost, and if you want, annex the entire thing

About how many troops will I need to do this?

Doesn't PDM have 15 infamy for protectorating uncivs before you research nationalism and imperialism? And don't the Dutch take them by then(I ask because I'm using NNM, which is like PDM without the POP mechanics changes)
Yeah, I'm not quite sure how I managed it to be honest. I guess part of it was getting lucky with justification, and the Dutch being lazy/not getting CBs, because I know at least one or two of the uncivs I've annexed in that region was after N&I.

How exactly do the Dutch CBs work? I noticed they still have to justify them, but they only get maybe 2 infamy.
I'm not quite sure, but I remember when I played a Netherlands game with APD, I frequently got events that gave me CBs on the East Indies native nations (not the normal border incident one for low relations, but one specific to the Netherlands and said native nations.)

I'm not quite sure, but I remember when I played a Netherlands game with APD, I frequently got events that gave me CBs on the East Indies native nations (not the normal border incident one for low relations, but one specific to the Netherlands and said native nations.)

Did you get any infamy for those?

Nope, if I remember correctly, I got an event every year to every few years that would just say "Gain 'Establish Protectorate' CB over ____".
/

99% sure this is the generic event.

Back to the topic, conquer Portugal first off, while finishing off the East Indies. As for France... if Belgium can beat them with a bit of luck, Spain most certainly can. You can get the state with the catalonian pops and the one with the basque pops, since these are accepted. The real problem is that you don't have any other accepted pop provinces to conquer. Get health care soon, you'll probably need it.

I don't know if this helps but I modded in Iberia so I sphere Portugal and attack Britain for Gibralter early on and form Iberia then seize Two Sicilies (2 wars), Sardinia (Island not whole nation), Lombardy and Venetia (Lombardy was once Spanish and Venetia weakens Austria and gives sea access), I always support Holland, sometimes luckily with Britain and France with good diplomatic maneuvering. Then I tear Holland's colonies apart and then take control of them and Luxemburg, Austria has to be allied with (I let Carlists win) as well as Germany then usually by occupying Italy militance causes redshirts and a rump Italy is spheres after forming out of the Papal States, Piemonte's mainland territory, Lucca, Modena, Parma and Tuscany sometimes I expand into France, and I weaken Britain by stealing colonies and liberating Ireland an sometimes Scotland and Wales until England can be spheres I also steal French colonies. Greece is always eaten Bosnia given to Austria-Hungary. I always own what ever regions I already have possession in so since I got the Algerian coast I colonize the rest same for Angola and such I also conquer all of the Americas, southeast Asia and the Pacific. I ignore badboy and occasionally truces since I already ignore bb and my prestige goes into outrageous numbers.

I don't know if this helps but I modded in Iberia so I sphere Portugal and attack Britain for Gibralter early on and form Iberia then seize Two Sicilies (2 wars), Sardinia (Island not whole nation), Lombardy and Venetia (Lombardy was once Spanish and Venetia weakens Austria and gives sea access), I always support Holland, sometimes luckily with Britain and France with good diplomatic maneuvering. Then I tear Holland's colonies apart and then take control of them and Luxemburg, Austria has to be allied with (I let Carlists win) as well as Germany then usually by occupying Italy militance causes redshirts and a rump Italy is spheres after forming out of the Papal States, Piemonte's mainland territory, Lucca, Modena, Parma and Tuscany sometimes I expand into France, and I weaken Britain by stealing colonies and liberating Ireland an sometimes Scotland and Wales until England can be spheres I also steal French colonies. Greece is always eaten Bosnia given to Austria-Hungary. I always own what ever regions I already have possession in so since I got the Algerian coast I colonize the rest same for Angola and such I also conquer all of the Americas, southeast Asia and the Pacific. I ignore badboy and occasionally truces since I already ignore bb and my prestige goes into outrageous numbers.

Is this in vanilla? Because in AHD, you can't justify wars during a truce.

I've started a game as Spain and I'm NFing clergy till 2% in every state with 100% education spending in order to raise literacy. I have conquered Morocco, and Dai Nam (Very useful for soldiers POPs) If you have luck with the CB generations, as I had, you can try to conque Tunis and Brunei, or even Two Sicilies*

*Do it early because other way they'll be way better than you.

When I played Spain, my immediate goals were expanding Spanish colonies in Morocco, the Caribbean, and Southeast Asia (you have starting positions in all of these places so, given good management of troops, you are poised to become a world power). I've only played one game (and quit around 1890-ish, iirc) as Spain, but I recall that I had troubles (PDM) with the demographic (industrializing and boosting bureaucratic efficiency/literacy was a challenge). I mostly ignored the economic problems with Spain, because you can build such a huge military (and manage your army tech trees well!) that you can become #1 on that alone.

Basically, expand cautiously and try to economically modernize your nation for around a decade (into the 1840s or 1850s). Of course you have to defeat the Carlists early on (not much of a challenge), but you should basically build a few factories in Spain, build rail everywhere, and annex... idk, Haiti, most of Morocco, and some Southeast Asian nations (Johore?). Eventually you may go over the infamy limit... in my case, France DoW'd on me when I went badboy, and I was able to curbstomp them quickly in a war (occupied all of France and ended up demanding most of Occitania/southern France for myself).

After you've crushed a major power in a war (this shouldn't be difficult if you manage your military well, unless Britain DoWs you, in which case you will probably require massive investments in the navy... take their colonies, too!), you should be pretty much free to do what you want. I was already in second or third place beating France (it was the 1850s). You might as well continue ignoring infamy - I conquered what remained of the United States of Central America, took Columbia, Mexico and Venezuela. By 1870, I had taken all of South/Central America+Mexico, most of southeast Asia (all minor nations including Siam), and Morocco... I had terrible industry, but was #1 in prestige and military (and had defeated Britain, Prussia, Netherlands, Russia, and France in wars before... I defeated France 3 times, and I knocked them out of GP status the last time). I had conquered Italy and southern France and was forced back into Absolute Monarchy (coups in PDM) - I basically had a western Roman Empire going on, and was the #1 GP.

Spain's biggest issues are literacy problems (and, for this reason, industry/econ problems, which made maintaining my massive army and navy in the 1880s a bit difficult). I think I quit when relations with the US soured and they ended up winning a few battles in northern Mexico. If you can industrialize+modernize Spain and get around the demographic problems they have starting out, you have a lot of potential to expand anywhere.