+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Possible Prelude to a Mod: A Q&A Thread

A Possible Prelude to a Mod: A Q&A Thread

I need your help with 2 questions. If the knowledge you give me can be applied(and bare in mind I worse than noobish in my Modding skills) then you MIGHT be rewarded with a mod, or at least the beginnings of a mod(but we'll get to that if we ever get to that step). On to those very important questions!

1) Using the Console, how do I switch a province's owner? I know how to open the Console but the code for this function eludes me. I have checked the Wiki with no luck. I am using v1.3.

2) How do I take the modified game and make it a downloadable mod on the internet? As you might be able to tell I'm not very tech savvy.

The first question has priority because the moment it's answered satisfactorily I can get to work as soon as possible.

As reiteration I'm using v1.3.
    I am the Emeror of the Intergalactic Roman Empire! Bow before my might!
    Current Game: Basiliea Rhomaion

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...amp-Taxes-AAR. A new AAR: HAIL BASILIEA RHOMAION!! ALL HAIL THE HELIX FOSSIL!!! A PPA MEIOU&Taxes AAR. Will it fail? Probably.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

1. Type in "showprovinceid" Then, when you hover over a province, it'll tell you its ID(an up to 4 digit number). To change the owner, type "changeowner <TAG> <ID>" where <TAG> is the tag of the country you want to switch it to, and <ID> is the province ID number.

2. You can make a save game, compress it, upload it on mediafire or a similar site, and post the link.

Quote Originally Posted by calvinhobbeslik View Post
    1. Type in "showprovinceid" Then, when you hover over a province, it'll tell you its ID(an up to 4 digit number). To change the owner, type "changeowner <TAG> <ID>" where <TAG> is the tag of the country you want to switch it to, and <ID> is the province ID number.

2. You can make a save game, compress it, upload it on mediafire or a similar site, and post the link.
    That didn't work.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...amp-Taxes-AAR. A new AAR: HAIL BASILIEA RHOMAION!! ALL HAIL THE HELIX FOSSIL!!! A PPA MEIOU&Taxes AAR. Will it fail? Probably.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

You know that's a really awkward way of modding. Makes more sense to go to the province history files, edit them, stick them in a rar file and upload it on mediafire, filesmelt etc.
    Amanda Shaw, Secretary of the Interior (b. 1890)
    in BigBadBob's The Presidents 1836-1936 an Interactive V2 AAR

Alfonz Aljaz of the State of the South Slavs (b. 1800)
    in theAhawks's A Federation of "Equals"

Empire's dead, the issues inherent with creating a functional mod of that timespan are just too much.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by EU3NOOB View Post
    That didn't work.
    Did the console say "province id is now shown in tooltip" when you typed that in?

You're using 1.3, while I have AHD 2.31, so they may have changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by calvinhobbeslik View Post
    Did the console say "province id is now shown in tooltip" when you typed that in?

You're using 1.3, while I have AHD 2.31, so they may have changed it.
    No. There was merely no difference between using the command and not using the command. Is there anyone else who still uses 1.3 who can help me? Or maybe a Dev?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Rome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

I need your help with 2 questions. If the knowledge you give me can be applied(and bare in mind I worse than noobish in my Modding skills) then you MIGHT be rewarded with a mod, or at least the beginnings of a mod(but we'll get to that if we ever get to that step). On to those very important questions!

1) Using the Console, how do I switch a province's owner? I know how to open the Console but the code for this function eludes me. I have checked the Wiki with no luck. I am using v1.3.

2) How do I take the modified game and make it a downloadable mod on the internet? As you might be able to tell I'm not very tech savvy.

The first question has priority because the moment it's answered satisfactorily I can get to work as soon as possible.

As reiteration I'm using v1.3.
    That sounds like a crazy way to mod the game. If you really intend to create your own mod then you'll need to learn how to do it properly, start by taking a look at how the big mods work (like PDM).

And I doubt that anyone would really want to play a mod if it only works with pre-AHD vanilla VIC2, most people who are interested in the game that much have got the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    That sounds like a crazy way to mod the game. If you really intend to create your own mod then you'll need to learn how to do it properly, start by taking a look at how the big mods work (like PDM).

And I doubt that anyone would really want to play a mod if it only works with pre-AHD vanilla VIC2, most people who are interested in the game that much have got the expansion.
    Then if everyone followed that mentality then there would be no mods for people like me, besides I won't be getting AHD for quite awhile.

I'm also not trying to be a major modder. I haven't the skills developed yet, obviously. I'm just trying to get my feet wet. Besides, critiquing on my how I chose to mod is not the point of this thread, answering the following two questions is:

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Search for the province ID's here, http://www.paradoxian.org/vicky2wiki/Provinces, and do what "calvinhobbesilk" said to transfer it. "To change the owner, type "changeowner <TAG> <ID>" where <TAG> is the tag of the country you want to switch it to, and <ID> is the province ID number."

For example if you want to give Vancouver Island to the United States it'd look like this.

"changeowner USA 14"
    Europa Universalis IV Scottish Let's Play/AAR
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...0#post15996540

Besides, critiquing on my how I chose to mod is not the point of this thread, answering the following two questions is:
    It may not be the point of the thread, but you'll find life a hell of a lot easier if you just take a text editor and mod the text files. It sounds like you're intending to change a bunch of province ownerships and then save it as a starting scenario - don't do that. Seriously. It's hugely space-inefficient, it'll be much harder to upload it as a mod, and it's actually harder than just editing the files. Seriously, the majority of the stuff in the game's moddable files is so easy to figure out, you'd probably be fluent in it in the same amount of time you've been sat trying to get a single console command to work.

Just as Calvinhobbes told you. The consol is case sensitive, so make sure that the tag is in capitals. Spacing is also crucially important.

Put all the modified text files into a .zip, in the correct folders. Then load the zip onto a file site - this forum will probably allow you to post any changes you make, as long as they're below 10 meg in size.

I once again strongly advise that you use the same modding method that everyone else has been using since EU3 came out - using the console is going to take ages to do minor changes which Notepad++ can handle with a single find:replace.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

+ Reply to Thread