• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ObsidianSpectre

First Lieutenant
91 Badges
Sep 9, 2010
www.youtube.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
When I´m crusading to the middle east, I always choose the sea route, because it´s fast.
Is this the ultimate way? Is there any benefit in using the land route?
From Medieval Total War there was an advantage by doing that, because holy orders and soldiers from other kingdoms joined on the way for the glory of christ.

I always go by sea as well, ships can be a little more expensive, and I often have to break the armies up to make sure thousands don't die from attrition on the sea, but I always imagined it'd be worse going by land.

I do not believe there is any attrition by sea. There is considerable attrition moving by land that is not yours, even neutral land and even when you are under the county's attrition penalty. Unless the crusade is happening literally next door, always utilize any ships you have.

If you have enormous amounts of troops and going into a low attrition area. Then drop your troops off, pause, split them into smaller groups, send them back into your ships all at once, and then send them one at a time into many coastal provinces at once. The short time they are bunched together on that one coastal province (for the split) will not be long enough to suffer attrition as long as you send them right back.

There is no sea attrition (it was removed in a patch).

I go by sea if I have enough boats on my vassal side to carry my troops. It is always best to have boats near your armies as it's the fatest retreat location...

Sad to hear the land crusades doesn´t have any benefits :(
Why not add that you gain more troops by land travel in the cost of time.

Last edited:
Sad to hear the land crusades doesn´t have any benefits :(
Why not add that you gain more troops by land travel in the cost of time.

Ships don't have attrition per say, but there is an event that can happen to boarded soldiers where a storm hits and 33% of the soldiers in a sea zone die. This can be pretty devastating if all of your soldiers are in one fleet.

I only ever go by sea and I keep my boats there, I also only siege coastal provences so I can get back to my boats easily. You never know when a bigger enemy stack will come and it's quicker to get on boats than move to a new provence, you also might have to get your army back home quickly if there is trouble.

If my army wont fit on my boats, as often happens as Leon, I drop my troops in cypress or some place like that and go back for the rest.

I would love the MTW feature of randoms joining your crusade army.

Would there be any way to mod this in? Those mostly joining would be light troops though, but perhaps the presence of your army in neutral christian lands would have a chance to fire an event for the nobles land who you in to make them spontaneously join the crusade themselves? Something like they are inspired by your troops and their resolve lol?

The worst thing about ships is how I tend to forget to release them after having used them. It's been more than once that I see my otherwise ridiculously rich doges run a minus after having been at 200 gold a year balance that I realize I should have released their ships.

I dont think I've ever seen sea Attrition. I always use sea.

It was a prior version, but it depended on how filled your boats were. Not sure on percentages, but I remember hiring all the Merc navies in one early game and suffering zero attrition by sea. Which tbh makes a lot of sense. Boats are prime real-estate for disease if they're packed to the rafters.