• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

telegraph

Captain
24 Badges
Mar 2, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities in Motion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • East India Company Collection
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
My workforce is 3.5M working males, while my whole population is 13M. That looks statistically ok, but how much ok is that? Are some of those people children who will mature in a few years? are some of them old people who do nothing except eating our resources?
What I am asking about is a place where I can see some demographics. Or is this value hardcoded and there is no children modeled in game?

I would also want to know what impacts birth rates and death rates? Are people born into certain POP (like farmers spawn more farmers) or do they chose to enlist in a POP after maturing (like a farmer's son decided to become a miner)?

Can I see the breakdown of where people go and from where they spawn from? I was a happy absolute monarchy and my population growed steadily. Now I passed landed voting reform and suddenly people are disapearing @1.5K/month. have they decided to go to americas? why?

One more riddle - how much is one POP size? 1000 soldiers POP support one army division, but one army division is 3000 men strong. is 1 POP = 3 men? Sounds wierd. Or is it something entirely different?

A single POP = 1 man, 1 woman, 2 children. Your workforce is always 1/4 of your total population, as the other 3/4 are the women and the children. That's in the manual

A newborn child is the same POP type as his father was - farmers just spawn more farmers, who then promote and demote as a %.

If you hover over the population number on your POP screen, then it tells you the various population movements you've experienced in the last month or so - it'll say 'immigration +200, emigration -100' etc. It'll also list the various effects promotion has had (farmers + 15, officers -15).

Well, somebody should have told all these farmer's wife and female workers, that they are not part of the workforce... they could have gone to the spa then, or something. :D

Well, somebody should have told all these farmer's wife and female workers, that they are not part of the workforce... they could have gone to the spa then, or something. :D

Yes, it's particularly weird once you get things like female suffrage and women's work events - these people clearly ARE in the workforce, but aren't listed in the official statistics as such. But tbh, that's fairly accurate for the period.

Thanks, that answer few of my questions, but some clarification needed:
1 man, 1 woman, 2 children - means that no global population growth possible whatsoever? two adults always produce two children?
Or maybe it is 2 children in any given moment, so a farmer, who died at 60 have created 4 children, who will produce 2 farmer POPs(or are children all male, and females are created out of thin air?) that would mean that population may double every 40 years (or 20 years if children are all males).

That goes against my experimental data so far. Are those POPs even have age attribute? or does natural growth calculated in a totally different way (like all POPs are immortal, and just have some function of income to determine when will another POP pop out)?

And I am still curious about that soldiers thing. how 1 man, 1 woman, 2 children provide 3 soldiers? what happens to POP if 1 one two soldiers die in battle?

1 man, 1 woman, 2 children - means that no global population growth possible whatsoever? two adults always produce two children?
Or maybe it is 2 children in any given moment, so a farmer, who died at 60 have created 4 children, who will produce 2 farmer POPs(or are children all male, and females are created out of thin air?) that would mean that population may double every 40 years (or 20 years if children are all males).

That goes against my experimental data so far. Are those POPs even have age attribute? or does natural growth calculated in a totally different way (like all POPs are immortal, and just have some function of income to determine when will another POP pop out)?

And I am still curious about that soldiers thing. how 1 man, 1 woman, 2 children provide 3 soldiers? what happens to POP if 1 one two soldiers die in battle?

Previous answer is some incorrect.
1 POP = 1 male in working age + 3 rest:)

System don't care about population rate death/birth -> only care about real population growth.
System don't care about population age -> population growth directly give you adult man.
System don't care about employment-to-population -> 1 pop = 1 worker + 3 non-worker.

Question about soldiers:
POP_MIN_SIZE_FOR_REGIMENT = 1000,
POP_SIZE_PER_REGIMENT = 3000,
POP_MIN_SIZE_FOR_REGIMENT_NONCORE_MULTIPLIER = 4, -- VALUE * POP_MIN_SIZE_FOR_REGIMENT is min for noncores

From defines.lua. So ask devs why they put this value.
In my opinion for game balance.

From: http://www.paradoxian.org/vicky2wiki/Land_combat_guide
Be aware that not every soldier who gets "killed" actually dies. How many of the casulties are removed from their respective soldier pops depends on the "war hospitals" modifier, which is commonly boosted by inventions in the "Chemistry" line of the industry tech school. Since this also boosts supply limits, it is a highly important tech line.

Last edited:
Don't get into the non-working male demographics, they're irrelevant. You need to take the irrelevant pops out of the equation. Irrelevant being the key word here. There's countless things that increase/decrease pop growth, but they work based on your working male population; and every such pop represents 4 actual people, technically speaking (because it doesn't exactly make sense).

POPs don't age, or anything like that; it's not really trying to watch a billion tiny people living out their lives. It's just aimed at showing that 1 farming family pretty soon becomes 2 or 3 farming families. Some of the children will be female, some will be male; some people will have lots of kids, some few. It doesn't really matter. A POP essentially represents a collection of work-hours hat you'd get from 4 people. They're house-holds.

POPs have a 'size', so they don't need to have ages or anything like that - it's meaningless to try and assess the age of 113,000 families of Ukrainian Orthodox farmers. As Thanik says, it's measuring real population growth, but doesn't care how many of those are pensioners/housewives/children, since they're just 'dependents'. POPs will grow naturally as long as they're not starving to death (just as Malthus says), or dying of plague or something. All you need to know is that if you start off with 4 people, pretty soon you'll have 6... and then 8, then 10, then 15, then 20, etc, until something stops them growing.

Ok, so I in fact have a lot of families(POPs) which, if some conditions are met, will immediately spawn new families(POPs).
Families(POPs) will never disolve unless some other conditions are met (famine, disease, war)
Where these condition and rates are specified? If they are hardcoded - what are they?

Ok, so I in fact have a lot of families(POPs) which, if some conditions are met, will immediately spawn new families(POPs).
Families(POPs) will never disolve unless some other conditions are met (famine, disease, war)
Where these condition and rates are specified? If they are hardcoded - what are they?

Hover over the picture of a baby's dummy on the province screen. POPs have a basic growth rate of about 0.02% per month, with a bonus of 0.01% for every point of life rating over 30, plus extra bonuses from some techs and inventions (listed in the invention/tech's description), and some from healthcare reforms (listed in the healthcare reform tooltips). As long as they're getting over 70% of life needs, they won't starve.

Some events will also change growth rate. It's listed in the event's effect tooltip.

Check tooltip about population growth:)

And they are coded in some files:
defines.lua
BASE_POPGROWTH = 0,
MIN_LIFE_RATING_FOR_GROWTH = 30,
LIFE_RATING_GROWTH_BONUS = 0.0001,
LIFE_NEED_STARVATION_LIMIT = 0.5,

Other factors are events, inventions , decisions, and social reforms which or directly increase/decrease population growth or increase/decrease population. Some are for time, and other don't have time limit. Some affect only province,other all country.

Edit. About statistics you must check yourself. It depends on version of game, and expansion...

For example have a look at these south-italian shipwrights:
http://ximg.co.uk/images/f51ljyoutjck9hiro8t.jpg
Three of them died for unknown reason, except they could not afford their everyday needs to full extent.

Ukrainian farmers of Odessa (seen in the list below) survived despite not being able to provide for even life needs.

where can I find or how can I calculate that Life Rating (to compare with MIN_LIFE_RATING_FOR_GROWTH) for a given POP?

You're overthinking this... life ratings are static and have nothing to do with how much you pay your pops. They're there to make pop growth work like it did IRL and to regulate colonisation.

For example have a look at these south-italian shipwrights:
http://ximg.co.uk/images/f51ljyoutjck9hiro8t.jpg
Three of them died for unknown reason, except they could not afford their everyday needs to full extent.

They didn't die for want of everyday goods; they *may* have died for want of life needs earlier in the month (artisans calculate their goods production daily, but population changes are worked out once per month). Alternatively, there may be a negative effect on the province (tho since none of the other groups are declining, probably not).

Ukrainian farmers of Odessa (seen in the list below) survived despite not being able to provide for even life needs.

They are getting life needs.

where can I find or how can I calculate that Life Rating (to compare with MIN_LIFE_RATING_FOR_GROWTH) for a given POP?

It's on the province interface - the little thermometer at the bottom left of the terrain picture. Come now, a lot of these things are covered in documentation, or just by looking at tooltips or the wiki.