• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
-Other armies will have namin patterns based on default (IE Two Sicilies army to defend Tunisia is "Escerito de Carthago")
--Generic armies will take the name of the leading General, or their intended function ("Escerito de Invasione")
---"Militia" as I have dubbed them take the name of their province of origin ("Escerito de Sa'na)

For the record, the right spelling is Esercito.
Esercito di Invasione. Esercito di Sa'na.

;)

I do, and i try to make them authentic, or give them nickmnames as a result of battles or wars so that when you send an army in 1913 to fight you read the name and remember "oh yeah this is the one that won a miracle on the other continent in 1842".

I do something like this, anytime an army stands out somehow I'll name it and treat it nicely and feel horrible if they get wiped out...

I usually do give them names, like I Korps, 1st Luftwaffe, Angolan Colonial Corps, Zuaves, Gibraltar Garrison,etc.... I also used to try to give them names in their native language but eventually I quit doing so.

The problem is that after a war they tend to get incredibly messed up.

Last edited:
I used to name them I Corps, II Corps etc. But in the rare event that one of these gets destroyed, you can make a new II Corps but they go to the bottom of the list, so you get X Corps, XI Corps and then II Corps. My OCD just freaks out at this point.

In my German game I have Berlin Korps, Hannover Korps etc. Easy to manage and practical.

I name my Armies in their native language, if their native language is an Asian language I'm familiar with or a language that uses the latin alphabet. If not, I just used English names, like 'Red Army' for the USSR.

I name my Armies in their native language, if their native language is an Asian language I'm familiar with or a language that uses the latin alphabet. If not, I just used English names, like 'Red Army' for the USSR.

A conversion of common words ("Fleet," "Army," etc.) would be really handy. Anybody who would like to put one together will receive effusive praise from me, at least...

I try but I always end with at least 30 or 40 armies all around the world so I end up with 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc...
Me too. I start off making everything very orderly, even going into the savegame to get accents on my Ejército de África. Then war breaks out, and everything ends up messed up.

Incidentally, does anyone know a way to get accents on army names without editing the savegame?

I name mine after actors from Carry On films. Nothing quite upsets the French like Kenneth Williams arriving in Paris while Frankie Howerd is occupying Calais.

Me too. I start off making everything very orderly, even going into the savegame to get accents on my Ejército de África. Then war breaks out, and everything ends up messed up.

Incidentally, does anyone know a way to get accents on army names without editing the savegame?

Use Alt Key Codes?

I give my army corps historical names, where possible including nicknames... later on, when I get a bigger army, I start gathering my corps into armies by simply tagging an /A or /F or whatever at the end... I also try to keep my regiments named historically, but because the game doesn't allow you to do it in-game it is a huge pain and I tend to quit doing that at some point, much to my dislike.

Absolutely, though usually I just name them into "Number Corps" for every 30,000 men in the formation. If I ever build larger formations (such as a 100,000 man stack) I usually name it an "Army of *General Region*. Usually no nicknames for mer.

Names depend greatly on what nation I'm playing as. When playing Germany, Austria, Scandinavia and Russia I divide my armies by principality, function and/or ethnicity. So as Germany I get I. Bayerische Korps, Hochseeflotte, Ostasienschwadron etc. As Scandinavia I get Svenska Arméen, Norska Arméen etc. As China my cavalry armies are almost exclusively mongols or manchurians.