• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I do too. And i usually try to keep it realistic with the language that country speaks. Now only if i had a keyboard that had the little ~ Things they use.......

If somebody wants to make a conversion chart to convert words like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Corps, Division, Army, Fleet, etc into various languages, I would be suitably appreciative for exactly this reason.

It depends on the situation with me. If the armies are in the home country, then i usually name them something like "Brandenburg Army", "London Army", "Austrian Army" etc. But if its in the colonies or over seas, then it something like "Army of Singapore", "Army of Shanghai", "Army of the Congo" etc. I usually name armies so that i can keep track of them, especially if i got a massive a massive army in a populous country that i need to replenish, rest etc.

I'll often have Garrisons seperate from Armies. For example, as France I might have the Royal Army, the Army of the North, South, East, West, Italy, Pyrenees, Rhine, Alps, Army of Africa, Army of *insert colony here*, but I'll also have smaller garrisons scattered around tiny colonies, entitled *insert colony here* Garrison.
And whenever I split off of an occupying force, I'll name it *Province* Occupation

Imperial Penis Guard. Penile Republical Guard. 1] Irregular Penis. Penis of the Shogun. 2]Large Penis Squad(that's for my african colonies). And the list goes on. And I still feel bad :(

1] Sounds like a serious meDICal condition. Seek medical attention!

2] I must be a member of that squad:blink::eek:hmy:!

Also I've tried but it's just to much micro for me.

My usual naming method all numbers in Latin numbers:
#. Infanterie Korps (only infantry)
#. Kavallerie Korps (more Cav than Infantry or only Cav)
#. Artillerie Korps (more Artillery than Infantry or only Artillery)
#. Guard Korps (Guards)
#. Panzer Korps (Tanks)
#. Luftstaffel (Aircraft)

I also tried a unique one:
(Capital, Important Province Name) HQ
#. Army
#. Corps
#. Division
#. Brigade
#. Regiment(Infantry), Squadron(Cavalry) or Battery(Artillery)
I never used Brigade or Regiment they are too small, the brigade is just the single unit. <_<
I used the outliner to see which Army belongs to which HQ, etc... So when the second Army of my first HQ dies, every Army goes up by one.
The Third Army is the new Second Army, etc...

Last edited:
I'll often have Garrisons seperate from Armies. For example, as France I might have the Royal Army, the Army of the North, South, East, West, Italy, Pyrenees, Rhine, Alps, Army of Africa, Army of *insert colony here*, but I'll also have smaller garrisons scattered around tiny colonies, entitled *insert colony here* Garrison.
And whenever I split off of an occupying force, I'll name it *Province* Occupation

Sounds very good. :)
I do it the same way. The big advantage is I can navigate faster to my colonies and armies. There is no longer a need to click on the world map, what is quiete inaccurate, to go to a specific province.

Other than what you guys do, do any of you name armies Heroes of (battle) after they won a huge battle against the odds.

I have the Heroes of Johore after 48000 men defeated a 80000+ British Army in the region just above Singapore, which weirdly was controlled by the nation of Johore after the British released it.

Also, extra British reinforcements came in, but I dont know how many.

I always name my armies based on the country that I'm playing. I use the language of that country as best as I can(usually with Google Translate. It doesn't have to be right, it just adds immersion and fun for me). Other than that my armies are for the most part based on where they are (Army of _____). I try to mix it up too so I'll have armies that are based in "non-core" regions(not necessarily based on the cores I have, just not main parts of my empire) be corps instead of armies. All mobilized armies get grouped in to militias(usually just numbered, such as 1st Mexican War Militia, but sometimes given names too). I also have an Expeditionary Force that can participate in warfare anywhere and is always "stationed" on a coast in peace time for easy travel to other lands. And then I have Frontier forces, which is one army I keep on a border with a major country and I do not allow that army to participate in warfare with any other nation unless for a very limited mission for a set amount of time(for instance, as NGF I had the French Frontier Force defend the Rheinland from Bavaria). And when I split an army up, the half of the army that was taken out becomes a "Regiment" of the larger army, though that's largely so I know where they came from and can get them back to the right place. This system also changes a little depending on the nation. For instance, in largely irregular armies like the Ottomans, the irregular armies tend to be corps and legions and the regulars are armies. Plus little flavors like having a Royal Guard or Imperial Regulars in the capital(the Turkish translation for Imperial Regulars on Google Translate is ridiculous lol).

Navies follow a similar system. Usually a navy will defend a region and be named as such. And there will be a transport fleet wherever necessary because I hate sending transport ships in to battle.

I do by land too, however...

When a nation like Russia want to be dick and attack very few year and I rock their faces, I named my units station there.

"Russian Ball Buster army."

"Come at us, bro."

"Suck our cock, Russia."

As for large navy: "U mad, Britain?" or "Rape stack"

I do by land too, however...

When a nation like Russia want to be dick and attack very few year and I rock their faces, I named my units station there.

"Russian Ball Buster army."

"Come at us, bro."

"Suck our cock, Russia."

As for large navy: "U mad, Britain?" or "Rape stack"

You made me want to mod the game to make a "troll face" flag for whatever nation I decide to play. Then there could be "Bad Luck Brian" for whoever my enemy was.

I tend to have a few conventions.

The main army always keeps the name it gets by default (except in rare cases where that's just "first army") and defends the capital.
Then from there...
-I add numbers/replace destroyed armies of nations that have a numbering system to them (for instance, the first Prussian unit I create is the VIV. Korps)
--In such an organizational system, armies for a special purpose are accurately named (I. Karribean Korps)
---Also, any units that come from areas I don't "trust" (Low population, non-primary or accepted culture, recently conquered region) become local flavors of Militia (I. Landwehr Korps)

-Other armies will have naming patterns based on default (IE Two Sicilies army to defend Tunisia is "Escerito de Carthago")
--Generic armies will take the name of the leading General, or their intended function ("Escerito de Invasione")
---"Militia" as I have dubbed them take the name of their province of origin ("Escerito de Sa'na)

Any unit that I make of the most valuable troops (guard armies, mostly) become elite armies based on whatever nation they're from and contents (I. Sturmtruppen Division, I. Panzer Armee, Centroamerica Fuerzas Aéreas, Oranje Elite-Afdeling) with similiar number convention. Units with particularly good battles can become such.

Any unit made up of mobilized troops will be named as conscripts (I. Volksarmee).

As for navies, it's all purpose and geographic (Deutsche Transportflotte, South African Fleet, South Fleet).

Unless I'm playing as a large country with a huge amount of armies, I like to give them names. They are usually country-specific and they also depend on the size of my army. When playing as a small country I may use 'divisions', otherwise I may use 'corps'. In some cases I like to go with "Army of ...", especially with Greece, whose two starting armies are the Army of Epirus and Army of Thessaly.

I usually give simpler names to fleets, that allude to the types of ships they contain (e.g. 1st cruiser fleet). Naming armies and fleets is especially important when playing a cooperative MP game with the same country (e.g. 3 players for Austria - one is the emperor and commands troops from German and Italian lands, the other is the Foreign Minister and commands troops from Hungary and the Balkans, and the third is the Finance Minister and commands troops from Bohemia and other lands to the north. That was a fun game...).

I try to name my armies authentically (unless I'm communist), such as the "Armee Kongoland" for when I play Sweden. The only problem is I don't know how to use the accented letters.

If I'm communist, I name my armies something cheesy like the "Peoples' Holy Liberators of the Oppressed Germanic Peoples".