• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
yes, i name them after which purpose they have. if I am to invade some country i name them for instance "Greek Invading Army" etc. It makes things more organized ;)

If only the AI could read that name, then you'd be screwed.

When I have only a few armies, I name them geographically. For example, I was playing Egypt and had Army of Upper Syria, Army of Sudan, etc. (I also had an "Army of Depopulated Irregulars which was composed of irregulars I couldn't disband and replace with infantry). However, after colonising Africa, which involves moving troops everywhere and conquering the Middle East, my armies are no longer where they started.

When I played Poland, I had a Polish Liberation Army and Navy.

I usually name mine by location of where they will attack or defend. Aka, playing as France - Italian Legion, Prussian Legion I, Prussian Legion II, Paris Legion, Western Reserves, etc. It's more of a way of looking at unit list and knowing WHERE my units are than flavor.

Playing as Prussia/Germany I always name them after whatever state they were raised in. "Brandenburg Korps," "Posen Korps," "Ostpreussen Korps," etc.

Oh, I really like to name my armies. Usually I give them "national" names. Example - playing as Germany, it's always "N. Korps". When I played Sweden -> Scandinavia, I named my armies such as "N. Svenska Armén", "N. Danske Hær", "N. Norge Hær", "N. Suomen Armeijan" (thanks to google translate). Plus colonial "N. Främlingslegionen" and such. I rarely use additional words, only if army has something uncommon with others - like capital army, or when all brigades are from the same city, or all brigades are the same national minority.

The same happens to fleets. I used "Kriegsmarine", but this name has some Nazi specific, so then I switched to "Kaiserliche Marine". Apart from fleets I also like to give names to specific ships, because "5th Suez Cruiser" isn't really a cool name, "SMS Kaiser Wilhelm" is.

Can you actually rename specific ships?

I usually name mine. For one, it's better for immersion, and if you're playing a populous country it gets hard to keep track of armies #1-35. I tend to name them after where they're headquartered (what province or region I keep them in during peacetime), since that helps me keep track geographically and also gives them some local flavor. Sometimes I give more distinctive names to armies that are highly specialized or have some unique exploit to them, or I'll change naming schemes but let my most distinguished armies keep their old title.

Playing as the Netherlands, I have taken to making numbered "divisions." The armies in The Netherlands themselves are "1e Divisie," "2e Divisie," etc., with a "Reserve Army" (I don't know what the translation would be in Dutch, so I switched to English) in Brussels and in Amsterdam. Then in the East Indies I do the same numbering system over again "1e Divisie K.N.I.L.," etc. Similarly in Africa. My fleets are numbered in a similar way "1st Home Fleet," "1st East Indies Fleet," "1st Arabian Fleet," etc.

cn you change the name of the armies if you use counters too? what is better to play, with counters or sprites? I am using the demo, and the sprites are confusing for large military operations. however, there are not counters like HOI3 either.

I rename mine too, always, since it can get confusing if the country I'm playing is big or has lots of brigades. I name my armies depending on where it's located, sometimes depending on where did I raise those armies. For example, in my Italy game, I have names like "Lombard Division" for an 15K stack stationed in Milan, or "Army of Crete" for a 30K stack raised in Crete. Different-sized formations also get different names: a 30K stack (my standard army formation used to fight and invade other countries) is an "Army", a 15K stack (used to defend border provinces in case of an external attack and to garrison provinces in case of those pesky uprisings) is a "Division", and an irregularly-sized stack is a "Garrison" or a "Legion". So that I'll know whether it is of the right size or not, to what province should I return these formations after the war, or simply be able to find it in a long unit list. The same goes for naval units, usually named after the sea adjacent to its home port: a naval formation stationed at Genoa is the "Ligurian Sea Fleet". Sometimes I name them in the language of the nation I am playing, if I know a bit of it.

I rename them usually every game. Nothing creative just 1st corps, 2nd corps, 3rd corps ect. If I'm feeling fancy I. Corps, II. Corps, III. Corps, ect. The exception being Prussia who get a K substituted for the C; I. Korps, II. Korps, III. Korps. It was how they had Prussia's armies set up in Vic and I always kept it.