• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OrangeOranges

Captain
11 Badges
Mar 22, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
I do.

I usually have one main army, with a name (for Japan) like the 'Banzai Legion' and (for Australia) the 6thRAR.

Secondary armies get VII Guards XI Guards, IV Corps etc etc.

Do you bother doing this, I do just to immerse myself in the game a bit more. Its a lot more immesive to mumble to yourself in the middle of a invasion 'Oh shit, the VII Guards just took a beating' then it is to say 'The 1st Army took a beating'.

I do, and i try to make them authentic, or give them nickmnames as a result of battles or wars so that when you send an army in 1913 to fight you read the name and remember "oh yeah this is the one that won a miracle on the other continent in 1842".

I name them only like "Berlin" or ""Breslau" so I knew where there are stationated and after a war i send them back to that position. (sorry I´m not English) :)

Reactions:
I usually give my armies names based on which region I station them. Ex. My last USA game (that went to hell, stupid Japs); Army of the North, Army of the South (in the beginning), later becomes Army of N. England, Army of Texas, etc.

Yeah. Well, sometimes. If I'm playing a new world nation I tend to be more stringent about it. If I'm playing the CSA I'll always have an Army of Northern Virginia, Army of the Mississippi, Army of the West, Army of the Shenandoahs, etc. Same kind of deal if I'm playing a PBC game - but more general geographic names - army of North Peru, South Peru, Boivia, etc.

If I'm playing a Scandinavia game I have a weird habit of segregating the armies into culture groups and named accordingly. But I recently played an India and a Japan game and named no armies in either of them. Just too many to bother with.

After awhile I set into a pattern to easily identify where my troops are. I usually have one army meant to protect my capital/homeland and name it "Royal" or "Federal Capital Guard." Any other armies are named after the region they're usually stationed in, such as "Flanders Division" or "Wallonia Army." If it's on an island or a single region cut off from my other territories I'll name it "Province" or "Region Garrison," to identify that it has limited mobility and that I'll probably only use it against Rebels.

Typically, I name them 'one the go' depending on which region or even province they're meant to be stationed at. Occasionally, I'll spice things up with a uniquely named and composed unit like the 'Imperial Guards Army Corp.'

For Russia however, I've composed an entire system for naming. Divisions stationed on the Austro-Hungarian and Turkish Fronts are Imperial Line Corp, those stationed Prussia are Baltic Line Corp, those stationed in Central Asia are Turkestan Frontier Corp, those in the Caucasus are Caucasian Rifle Division, those in Siberia are Siberian Rifle Division, and those in the Primorye are Far Eastern Rifle Corp.

Cossack units I name by their Voisko of origin (Don, Kuban, Ural, etc.) and I occasionally make units entirely composed of one minority, in which case they are the [ethnic group] Legion.

I give the geographical names so I generally remember where they are stationed.

I usually do the same, particularly when I play as Prussia/Germany.

I usually just name my armies simply: 1st Army Corps, 1st Cavalry Corps and such. Armies corps are full armies with infantry/guard, artillery and some cavalry. Cavalry corps are just that, roaming stakcs of cavalry, mostly for hunting rebels.

I do.

I usually have one main army, with a name (for Japan) like the 'Banzai Legion' and (for Australia) the 6thRAR.

Secondary armies get VII Guards XI Guards, IV Corps etc etc.

Do you bother doing this, I do just to immerse myself in the game a bit more. Its a lot more immesive to mumble to yourself in the middle of a invasion 'Oh shit, the VII Guards just took a beating' then it is to say 'The 1st Army took a beating'.

When I name my armies I name them from the front/border they are defending/located near.

I name some of them. It depends on how busy or bored I am at the moment with whatever is happening. I especially make sure to name:
- The capital guard (presidential, imperial, royal, etc.).
- Panama/Suez Canal armies. Another force I don't want to move if I don't have to.
- Armies in far flung colonies.
- Major invasion forces (fortunately, the AI cannot wonder why Japan has created the "Army of the South Pacific" when nominally at perfect peace with the world).
- Armies that are, er... "assisting" my puppet nation "allies" (the "Army of Friendship with Mexico" always stays in Mexico City, for example).
- Airplane corps. (which I have to keep out of most combat, but which make excellent occupation forces)

One time I decided to name all my armies as China (as I was still uncivilized and trying to keep a low profile and slowly enact reforms and build up technology). One particularly minor army near the bottom of the list became the Kaifeng Fighting Tigers (as all the three or so brigades in it came from Kaifeng). While I was still lazily naming armies, a giant reactionary rebellion broke out. One of the few loyal troops were my Fighting Tigers, who then slowly fought their way from Shanghai to the defensive shield I had assembled around Beijing*. Whenever I play as China now I make sure to have an army named after them in honor of their great courage and loyalty.

*This shield barely survived, mostly due to the revolution dying out as it occupied all the rest of China (contested only by the Kaifeng Fighting Tigers and a few border garrisons which had taken shelter in Tibet when the rebellion first broke out).