+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Paradox down?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by colinljx View Post
    For all of you who don't know, Paradox connect was shut down permanently days ago. The official notification was over a week ago or so. The reason for this was that the achievements were worthless. Related thread: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...nts-don-t-work

Connect shut down: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...aradox-Connect
    If I had knew that I would never had spent several months finishing my IN WC game before starting DW.

This is... very disappointing. I was looking forward to completing as many achievements as I could, and I was expecting more than just a sudden "Well, it's down now!" What I would really like to see is achievements getting integrated into the game offline. It's not hard to ensure no cheating even offline, and the one thing achievements do very well is entice people to play in ways they don't normally play -- and provide a reward as incentive to actually practice enough to do the really hard ones. Even if the only thing you get is a little menu in-game listing all the achievements you've completed, it's STILL better than gutting them completely. It's not about giving yourself a challenge -- you do that all the time. It's about the /game/ giving you a challenge, and acknowledging you've accomplished it.

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by TyrannisUmbra View Post
    What I would really like to see is achievements getting integrated into the game offline.
    In many cases you could probably recode achievements as missions or events. It would be up to you to record which ones you'd completed though since nothing persists across games. Some sort of "permanent" record that persists across games might be nice for some future version of the game. You could then do something like set_persistent_global_flag = achieve_jihad. Also achievement mechanics could be added as a more long-term version of missions that don't interfere with the regular missions.
    Last edited by jdrou; 25-07-2012 at 01:16.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

Playing EU4

Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpire
    King Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Aww, I only had 3 left to do I liked them myself. Got me to play nations, and play in ways I otherwise would not have done. Also, as the other guy said, kept me from cheating in the head of the moment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2