• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

aronnax

Sergeant
26 Badges
Jul 2, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities in Motion
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Cities: Skylines
Prior to switching to a more democratic government, I had a Conservative Government with an Industrial score of about 50. Although I provided subsidies, most of the factories were built by capitalists. But when the Liberals were voted into power, the factories lost their subsidies and the whole industrial economy just crashed. It has been 2 years since I intervened in the economy and my industrial score is now 19 with almost all industries shutting down.

The capitalist keep building new factories but due to insolvency, they close within a few months. I can't seem to keep my industry afloat. What should I do?

I'm playing as Persia, the year is 1887 and I have modernised for 30-40 years already.

The problem is the Liberals government policy doesn't support subsidies, your best bet is to change to a dictatorship or make the people vote in the Conservative party.

You could try to raise to tariffs to shut off your market.
That way at least your local products will be bought first by your pops.

Get better literacy ,commerce tech, more clerks and capis.

That goes without saying. Though I don't think I need more clerks or capitalists. There's enough unemployed clerks and overzealous investors

The problem is the Liberals government policy doesn't support subsidies, your best bet is to change to a dictatorship or make the people vote in the Conservative party.
Yes, but I can't afford to subsidies all the factories now and I kinda want the industry to be healthy enough to work without me having to coddle it.

You could try to raise to tariffs to shut off your market.
That way at least your local products will be bought first by your pops.

But won't that destroy the market's ability to import goods and just make everything more expensive for everyone?

If you got an economy based on import, manufacture, export, then yes, you are screwed if you raise tariffs.
The game however, according to the wiki, discerns between domestic and world market, so by raising the tariffs you make your stuff cheaper than the other peoples' and your pops will by those.

For the 100th time, tariffs don't make people buy from your local market, because they already always do that.

Quite right, but also counter-intuitive. I think we all wish we could create protectionist markets with tariffs, but unfortunately the game mechanics make that impossible.

Hmm. I assume that buying local is hard coded? Too bad, because that would be interesting to mod.

How would it make sense in in-game terms? The only reason people would import IRL would be prices and these are all the same in-game, no matter who produces them. It *is* counter-intuitive, but it's harder to implement in-game without creating utter chaos, especially in larger countries. What would the criteria for the choice of importer be?

Get better literacy ,commerce tech, more clerks and capis.

I just gotta ask. What does clerks actually do except research points and work in factories? Do they do anything special in the factories or so?

They increase output efficiency IIRC.

Here is the game file:

{
poptype = clerks
effect = output
effect_multiplier = 1.5
amount = 0.2
}

Thus, they can be 20% of the total factory staff, and they increase output by 50%. Not bad!

Lower tariffs as low as you can

For your industry to be able to be efficient, one another thing you will need is a high prestige I guess. That will allow your factories to be able to get raw material before others do. And as long as you have raw material and craftsmen in your factory, it will more likely be in positive.