"1984" - Nineteen Eighty-Four - A Darkest Hour Modification

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Adonnus

General
69 Badges
Apr 17, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
***This mod is DEAD. If you want to have it then by all means volunteer, just make a comment or PM me and then do whatever you want with it***

NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR

Current Version: 1.15 (last updated 12 September, 2012)

Old Forum:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ing-Mod-Darkest-Hour-Mod-Nineteen-Eighty-Four

It is the year 1984. All of humanity is at war. Three totalitarian nations fight for supremacy over the world - or do they? The nations formed after a devastating nuclear war following World War 2. Extremely harsh repression via secret police and the brutal Though Police is an everyday occurrence. Life in these societies is dominated by social rank. Those further within the ruling party enjoy greater benefits and luxuries while those on the outside are harshly repressed. The 'proles', the proletariat, form the bulk of these ruined and brutal societies and perform most of the industrial labor while those in the 'Outer Party' ranks erase, censor and modify history to suit the needs of the ruling party. War wages across Africa and Asia as the nations fight - but no - one can really be sure of what is real and what is not save for what they see with their eyes.

The book http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks01/0100021.txt

This is (what I would hope to be) a total conversion mod for Darkest Hour Full. It changes the 1914 - 1962 setting to the world of Winston Smith, in 1984, based upon the novel by George Orwell. It is, in most respects an alternate history mod. Players will take control of any of the three totalitarian superpowers in an attempt to wrest control of the Earth from the others. The mod is not focused on nation building but rather warfare, and many strategies you may devise could be executed using the vast strategic resources of the nations.

Build huge landing forces and navies and strike your enemy from afar, or drain the reinforcements of the enemy by capturing crucial areas with slaves that can be used for manpower (to be implemented). Encircle and destroy the enemy front line utterly or backstab your ally and unleash your assault on them instead. Fight for freedom as a former overseas territory free from secret police in an attempt to survive the endless war, or crush revolting provinces mercilessly. The choice will be yours.

Players will be able to play as:

Oceania, controller of the Americas, Australasia, Southern Africa and Britain (which had its name changed to 'Airstrip One'.) A Plutarchy.

Eurasia, controller of Europe, Siberia, Central Asia, India (for now) and North Africa. Also a Plutarchy.

Eastasia, controller of China, Southeast Asia, Japan and Bengal. An Oligarchy.

(Coming soon) ? Independent Nations, who have freed themselves from their masters in an attempt to stay independent. Australia, Germany, Spain, (perhaps) California are ideas for rebel states at the moment. Australia is the only one which I have an event for yet and it isn't even a very good event.

The three super-states are totalitarian dictatorships which will mercilessly exploit their populations, albeit they have some differences. I will not base the nations solely off Goldstein's description, as he would have probably wanted to influence the reader against the (possible) nature of the three states.

Revolts will stem and swell in far away regions, and these will (later on) be made into playable countries. Can you dominate the Earth using military strategy? Will you fall to your enemies and their vast hordes? Or will you be locked into stalemate, just like you have been for over 25 years of constant, endless warfare?

Next Version:

Faction/Scenario selection screen

Oceanian panel for ministers and policy

The Atlantic ocean in 1984.

Some authentic music for the mod complete, including Oceanian music, Soviet music and nationalist Japanese/Chinese music. (credit to Andreas Waldetoft for the Hoi3 music used, if not legal please let me know!)

That's all for now. Please feel free to post any suggestions/ideas for future gameplay, events etc. Please also report any typos or bugs you may encounter!

INSTALLATION:

Simply un-zip the .zip file called "1984" using WinZip, 7zip or WinRAR, or the default Windows unzipper and drag the folder into: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\darkest hour a hoi game\Mods" along with the other files

KNOWN BUGS: (Please Read!)

1. When you open the mod via the Darkest Hour launcher, there will be an "Error in DB".. just press 'Ignore'

Version History:
  • Version 1.00
    Uploaded the mod
  • Version 1.10
    - Changed ownership of Greenland, Iceland and many tiny Pacific islands to be correct
    - Moved the Oceanian Floating Fortress to the sea between Iceland and the Faroe Islands
    - Changed ministers for Oceania as per Rotten Venetic's recommendations

HoS: Big Brother - Diehard Reformer. Even though he's an elusive figure and probably doesn't exist as a person, BB is the concept of a revolutionary leader who spread out his (soul-crushing) ideology by military conquest and wants to do so for the entire world.
    HoG: The Inner Party - Silent Workhorse. The IP is pretty well disguised as just a bunch of supervisors who don't really do anything beyond managing the day to day business of the ministries, it's small and doesn't use up too many resources. While living in comparative luxury, they and their upkeep do not compare to that of the RL high society.
    Alternates: Miniplenty - Ambitious union boss, Miniluv - Backroom backstabber, Minitrue - Flamboyant tough guy (propaganda)
    Foreign Minister: Big Brother - Ideological Crusader. See above.
    Alternates: Miniluv - ironfisted brute, Minipax - general staffer
    Armaments Minister: Miniplenty - Military Entrepreneur. Starving the population has its "benefits" stated in the book but if there is still any surplus most of it would go to the military. See above for the Inner Party.
    Alternates: Minipax - Battlefleet proponent. Of all the known military technology of Oceania, their floating fortresses stand out as the resource hog.
    Chief of Security: Miniluv - Prince of Terror. This one is obvious.
    Alternatives: Minitrue - Efficient Sociopath. Obvious again.
    I don't know where the Thought Police fits in between these two ministers but I think they were mostly under Miniluv.
    Chief of Staff - Minipax - School of Fire Support or of Mass Combat, maybe two separate Minipax "ministers".
    Minipax is the most important ministry for the purposes of a wargame, though Miniluv seems to have been the principal one in the book.
    Alternates: Miniluv, Big Brother - School of Psychology.
    Chief of Army - Minipax - Decisive Battle doctrine. My interpretation of the victory in Africa. Or Elastic Defense.
    Chief of Air - Minipax - Army aviation or Carpet Bombing.
    Chief of the Navy - Minipax - Power Projection, maybe with an alternative for decisive battle and/or base control.
  • Version 1.15
    - Fixed many small errors, typo's and bugs
    - Changed around the music significantly
    - Added a few new events
    - Cleaned up the files internally
    - REUPLOADED FILE, Aircraft noise bug GONE
Intro for the mod, to be implemented soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrcJFrUgTM

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?f1f8ld9ebrz6v1z

Format: .zip (7z) (7zip, Winzip, WinRAR etc)
Size: 97.86mb (98mb)

Please post a comment on what you think of the mod, if you download! It is only in its early stages and I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• Darkest Hour 2012-07-24 15-51-07-74.jpg
    Darkest Hour 2012-07-24 15-51-07-74.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 316
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    136,8 KB · Views: 376
  • 1984 Menu for net.jpg
    1984 Menu for net.jpg
    118,3 KB · Views: 263
  • 1984 Menu for net.jpg
    1984 Menu for net.jpg
    61,1 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
BUG REPORT/COMMENTS (I understand these will be addressed in due time and this is not meant as anything but constructive)

Province #1798 (Warren) needs assigning to Oceania (currently unassigned, US mainland)

Greenland and Iceland should be Oceania?

Nouvelle Caledonia & Surrounding Isles should be Oceania?

Troop deployments on the fronts seems poorly balanced in some places - especially given there are 30 divisions of tanks and mecs in Banjul for Oceania but they've only got infantry facing mecs on the Malabar front... Eastasia doesn't seem to have any particular options regards troops. ((Regards Malabar, never mind, stomping them there without the Arabian troops. Perhaps beef up Eurasian numbers with more inf if I'm supposed to retreat from Arabia and add 18 more divs to the mix on my side - atm I can keep hinging them in 3 army (18div) stacks due to the way the provs work in india))

Oceania's airforce is nonexistant - where're the Big Brother Heavy Bombers and the Victory Fighter Bombers? Specially since the Eurasians have Tac-13's and I'm flying Tac-6's fix legacy issues please!

- vis same about the navy

Ministers could do with more variety - minipax for foreign minister and chief of X posts, miniplenty for armaments minister, miniluv should replace O'Brien IMO, with BB as Chief of Staff, Head of Government and Head of State. For the Eurasian and Eastasian regimes, I recommend at least stealing some of Goldstein's ideas.

More Techteams please - and fix some glaring holes in research. Oceania should have helicopter cavalry and radar at least (consider reworking the techtree or stealing and modifying that of MDS2DH)
Most of it, I love.

Now I have to go thump the DH dev who thought that Victors come after Vulcans on the Strat bomber tree + fix those ugly unit cards! A Vulcan looks like a delta. Not some bloody yank wing thing...

(Other thoughts...)Oo.

- can you set Eurasian AI to put aside some IC for missiles? Rocket bombs devastating Airstrip 1 and making it a real useless infra sink would be cool.

Last edited:
Thanks for a great mod. So far i found it playable...after all that time since i read the book i can now play it.

P.S: for anybody who wants to play the this mod,read the book first...you will not regret it.

Since the book is not under copyright in Australia it is available online Here

Also, currently Eastasia get stomped. They need lots more mec divs.
you can find audiobook on youtube

what is the current version? i assume it's either in alpha or beta, since there are issues
but you should really give it a name, number, anything

Just a suggetion...since there is no tech tree available from 1984 yet..might be good idea to just set all the techs as researched,tech teams are missing anyway.

Just a suggetion...since there is no tech tree available from 1984 yet..might be good idea to just set all the techs as researched,tech teams are missing anyway.

+1 There really isn't any military technological advances as far as we can tell in 1984 besides the Floating Fortresses.

Oh and btw it seems like putting in "Use Scenario End Date" makes you instantly lose the game upon loading.

Last edited:
I wish people would read all of the thread prior to posting. I mentioned the lack of heli cav earlier. TBH I don't think a tech-tree is needed. Just balance the forces better at start (and perhaps boost EastAsia's war economy of give them cores on SE.Asia? They were getting Partisan raped a lot. Also I think either Oceania or EastAsia should have New Guinea, rather than the current split - it doesn't make sense given the way the war changes. That said though, this is a fun scenario and in it's current state with some minor adjustments, it'd make a good multiplayer game I think - I kicked arse in africa as Oceania. I'll try a game as Eurasia in the near future.

Great Idea! I have always wanted to play a 1984 scenario. I'll try it tomorrow.

There is one issue though. In the book the governments of the three superstates do not want to win the war because in order to keep the populace under control war is actually benefical to the states as long as there is an understanding between all three of them. It is way to destroy the produced goods without raising the standard of living.

But I see that this would not be fun at all, so keep up the good work.

Over the past few months I have been mainly working to fill the front with troops at all. The huge and flaring, gaping holes in stuff should be fixed with a few updates. Expect it to get better! This is the first version only!

Well so far great work...armies are on their places and fighting is ok.Just few minor changes and it will be ok...most of it is flavor stuff anyway.
Oh and the missing navy and floating fortress in Alexandria as Oceania is there on purpose or still WIP?

Also i couldnt find a way how to build FFs(floating fortress) ;)
EDIT: ok so FFs cannot be build because BB tech is missing...before it lets you to construct them you must have 1934 BB tech.

Last edited:
Yeah, since I figured few would try and build super heavy battleships as it was, I created the Floating Fortresses out of them. I'll add an Oceanian North Sea fleet with one soon enough.

Well so far great work...armies are on their places and fighting is ok.Just few minor changes and it will be ok...most of it is flavor stuff anyway.
Oh and the missing navy and floating fortress in Alexandria as Oceania is there on purpose or still WIP?

Also i couldnt find a way how to build FFs(floating fortress) ;)
EDIT: ok so FFs cannot be build because BB tech is missing...before it lets you to construct them you must have 1934 BB tech.

There is one issue though. In the book the governments of the three superstates do not want to win the war because in order to keep the populace under control war is actually benefical to the states as long as there is an understanding between all three of them. It is way to destroy the produced goods without raising the standard of living.
But that would make the mod pretty boring no?
This mod makes a difference to the book in that the superstates grow more greedy perhaps and want to take over the whole world.

Perhaps India and the Middle East should be a 'hub' for resources - although it is mentioned in the book that slaves (manpower?) were commonly found in these areas, there could be resources to be found there.

Also, if you are wondering about the crippling -92% IC efficiency for some nations this is because of the way the society functions as stated in Goldstein's book.