Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will there be a character wipe?

Quote Originally Posted by TotalyMoo View Post
    At least one wipe will happen (open beta)
    Its quite obvious that there will be wipe after open beta too, when the game will be fully relased.

So at least 2 wipes are 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zennoya View Post
    Its quite obvious that there will be wipe after open beta too, when the game will be fully relased.

I think you misunderstand how wipes work around here, they are not wiping because they want to, they are doing it because they have to. The wipe is to fix bugs and other flaws that can only be fixed by creating a new world, if your thinking the wipe is because of a couple privileged players that got to play before some of the changes had been made or people having an unfair advantage playing before other could you would be wrong.

If no other world bugs show themselves I can see no reason that they would have a second wipe before release.

General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

The only statement from the devs has been "there will be at least one wipe" (paraphrased). Odds are you're right, but there's nothing saying so. Personally, I see a wipe at least for open beta. From there, it's a bit up in the air. It just depends a lot on how they run open beta and if they want to deal with account handling. The store is supposed to be fully functional at the launch of open beta.
    Salem forum Demi-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by MagicManICT View Post
    The only statement from the devs has been "there will be at least one wipe" (paraphrased). Odds are you're right, but there's nothing saying so. Personally, I see a wipe at least for open beta. From there, it's a bit up in the air. It just depends a lot on how they run open beta and if they want to deal with account handling. The store is supposed to be fully functional at the launch of open beta.
    I cannot see how they could ever justify a wipe once people have put real money into it.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Dopefly View Post
    I cannot see how they could ever justify a wipe once people have put real money into it.
    Factions become too strong, the world runs out of resources, or there are no places left to build.
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Ozzy Osbourne

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by staxjax View Post
    Factions become too strong, the world runs out of resources, or there are no places left to build.
    I thought the point of the darkness would be that the world becomes as big as it needs to be (opening more up as towns establish on the fringes and build a church) therefore space wouldn't be as big an issue as one my expect in a fixed world game. That's just my understanding though of the darkness mechanic.

the worst part is not knowing when the wipe will come. If it's soon I'd like to get onto abandonning my build in favour of trying out some crimes and crime tracking. and maybe heading out into the darkness

Unlikely that 2 of the 3 will ever happen, the world is/will be 25km x 25km. even for a world going 6 months with 3000 people would not use all the resources. Also if they ever had that many people they would likely compensate by making more worlds or something.

I'm hoping they will think of something clever to stop total world domination by factions, if it gets really bad I'm sure they can't take out all of us.

I can't wait for the wipe, practiced today leveling a new guy, fun fun.

none of those things are possible
    The tinder drill broke.

I think you misunderstand how wipes work around here,
    I understand it a lot more than you think. Dev's said there will be at least 1 wipe before open beta. True. But do You know ANY online game, that was not wiped upon release? Beta is always beta, if You do release game, give release date and let ppl pay for the game its quite obvious you need to do wipe and seperate open beta from release right?
    Where in my post You read about "wiping because someone just want to?"...

none of those things are possible
    Yeah, but without possibility to plant new trees it quite sux, that at the map, expecialy near village there is kinda a wasteland around. If devs want ppl to move from site to site its ok, but if they want ppl to settle, trees regrow is quite required (even if the tree will grow 30 days).

Colonel

Yeah, but without possibility to plant new trees it quite sux, that at the map, expecialy near village there is kinda a wasteland around. If devs want ppl to move from site to site its ok, but if they want ppl to settle, trees regrow is quite required (even if the tree will grow 30 days).
    I got a better idea, how bout they implement the PLAYERS to be able to grow their own trees. Good idea, right?
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Ozzy Osbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Qukatt View Post
    I thought the point of the darkness would be that the world becomes as big as it needs to be (opening more up as towns establish on the fringes and build a church) therefore space wouldn't be as big an issue as one my expect in a fixed world game. That's just my understanding though of the darkness mechanic.
    I hope u are completely wrong (but i dont know) and there is something inside the darkness, that makes all this gameplay reasonable! Maybe something that can end a Serverround and makes starting a new one! Cuz they can put thousands of new recipes inside, it will be boring soon to craft just to craft or to craft just to fight without reason.

Hopefully anything is inside that darkness, that makes us all happy and let us craft and fight for a good reason!

The main Question is, when will this Open Beta begin?!? On the Website its still "end of July"! On Facebook they said on this monday: "We're hoping to have some news on the beta front for you in a couple of weeks :-)".

Giving clear Information seems not to be their speciality! It will all begin from zero with the start of Open Beta and i am pretty sure there are many Groups looking forward to that day and having big plans for the first hours in the new World. Just give us/them the chance to be prepared and online in the right moment!

And please make me stop watching your Homepage 5 times a day with Focus on that "aiming Open Beta" thing! Just tell us, what your Schedule atm says!
    Last edited by FunForLife; 26-07-2012 at 13:19.

Quote Originally Posted by FunForLife View Post
    I hope u are completely wrong (but i dont know) and there is something inside the darkness, that makes all this gameplay reasonable! Maybe something that can end a Serverround and makes starting a new one! Cuz they can put thousands of new recipes inside, it will be boring soon to craft just to craft or to craft just to fight without reason.
    I was hoping that darkness will be everywhere excluding only 5 min walking radius from boston, but in such little way that till 3 hours of walking it would be enought to wear torch or light any fire, and after 3 hours to work like it does now at spot when darkness begins. It would be much nicer if there would be dark everywhere, and everyone first thing to do on their claims is to light several campfires (just until they build church, so theyll get own 3mins walking radius around their village/claim).
    And now darkness is quite... distant from player minds. I bet half of players never reached it.

General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

This really isn't a thread for discussion of game mechanics. It was simply a question about when wipes may or may not occur. If the extra topics are important enough to discuss, then please give them their own appropriately titled thread so all can see what it's about.

As far as when open beta will start: It's more information than I have been given. My job consists of making sure people follow the rules and report it to the full mods and forum admins if they don't. I can only assume that there are a couple of development goals to reach before the open beta launch, which is why the date is fuzzy.
    Salem forum Demi-Mod

As far as when open beta will start: It's more information than I have been given. My job consists of making sure people follow the rules and report it to the full mods and forum admins if they don't. I can only assume that there are a couple of development goals to reach before the open beta launch, which is why the date is fuzzy.
    Well, at least the Community can expect a word from the admins, one week before the advised date comes to an end. Maybe they can just "fix" (maybe its a bug ) that website and can get some true informations on it? And if they are up to really keep their word and start open Beta when July ends, they should get this marketing machine on!

Following the communications it more seems like end of the year then end of july. Loosing the trust of the community before anything really starts isnīt the best way to start anything...

Itīs not that a big one here, but it tells much about the communication we can expect in the future, i guess.

In this business you might simply win a big community by communicating well and reliable, cuz this is the most lacking thing in their business all around!
    Last edited by FunForLife; 26-07-2012 at 15:27.

I apologize in advance if this is redundant.

I've been debating with my friends concerning the wipe and we're wondering if the type of wipe could be specified. Is this a full wipe of both characters and the world, or will the former or latter be spared? We have a shred of hope that only the world/setting, not the player characters, is going to be reset since that is probably the area of the game that is the most buggy while the characters seem to be operating smoothly.

And also we are eager to know whether there will be a second wipe before official release, so we don't go building up anything too epic until the world is stable and safe. I understand the need for testing and bug reporting during beta, but letting the beta testers know the tentative schedule would be kind. Kinder than most, at least. I do appreciate the previous confirmation of the first wipe.

The wipe will be a full wipe - new world [map] with no characters [all characters deleted] so you basically start all over.

Theres no info on further wipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Uronoro View Post
    I apologize in advance if this is redundant.

I've been debating with my friends concerning the wipe and we're wondering if the type of wipe could be specified. Is this a full wipe of both characters and the world, or will the former or latter be spared? We have a shred of hope that only the world/setting, not the player characters, is going to be reset since that is probably the area of the game that is the most buggy while the characters seem to be operating smoothly.
    You want them to Open Beta without charackter wipe? Everybody starts new then might die the moment he left Boston by only one hit! And they will!

They will risk to loose many customers before they even really started playing...

Quote Originally Posted by FunForLife View Post
    You want them to Open Beta without charackter wipe? Everybody starts new then might die the moment he left Boston by only one hit! And they will!

They will risk to loose many customers before they even really started playing...
    Its nothing that future newbies of the game won't face. Let's be logical, newbies have a better chance of escaping Boston alive now, since the population of characters who have actually grinded their stats up is so small, than any other time in the game's future. And only a certain percentage of that population are griefers (I'm assuming griefers since these newbies will have no loot). When beta opens there will literally be a swarm of newbies coming in, a far greater join rate than a month or year or two after a typical release. Too many newbs, too few griefers, many are bound to survive akin to a massive herd of wildebeests forging a crocodile infested river.

Compare this with someone coming new into the game a few months or a year after its actual release... where griefers had much more time than the length of this closed beta to prepare... Those are the ones who's life expectancies will be dramatically reduced.

So I don't see how what you stated as a valid argument to wipe the current characters instead of just the world. If there was a bug with the characters, or the character system they are going to impose after the wipe is incompatible, I would understand. If there is nothing wrong with the character files, it almost seems a waste to wipe the older characters who will give feedback as they are testing the higher skill sets, more advanced crafted items, and both the perpetrator and victim side of criminal acts (to perpetrate, you generally must be of a high grind).

If they're concerned about losing customers as you put it, they would be doing what they can to communicate what was possible to their testers and salvage what was possible of their hard worked characters. The perma death we all must come to terms with does not pad the loss of a character. You have a fighting chance against raiders and griefers. You don't with wipes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast