• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zzzzz...

No blood! No bone! No ash!
104 Badges
Feb 27, 2008
  • King Arthur II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Galactic Assault
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV

TMR.png

A Republic of China AAR

After three failed revolutions, the Qing dynasty is still in power, the Company ruled in the south for almost a decade, warlords controls the other regions, foreign influences are still strong, and the Father of modern China is dead. The Republican Nationalists, known as the Kuomintang, are at the end of their rope. Only a massive global shock wave would then finally wake up the sleeping tiger from its deep slumber.​

----------------

Settings:
Normal/Normal
IC & Tech Team takeover: off

Mods:
Kaiserreich 1.3

Cheats:
nofog - if you want to see the war between two ai countries without the fog.
events - To fire up some events if necessary. I will indicate which these are when I use this cheat.

The style of this AAR wil be very similar to A Collective Regime, to those who have read it. (To those who didn't, read it :p)

Oh no! What's gonna happened to ACROPAL? Sadly, I no longer have the patience to deal with the game. It has gone too ahistoric for the game to handle. Seriously, I found myself driving several countries myself into their goals. E.g. France assisting Italy+Spain. USA liberating Hawaii. Britain invading Ireland (instead they sent troops to Bengal, having their transports wiped out!). China+Japan gone stalemate. It's just not fun any more. I guess having a Soviet Russia dominating the KR world isn't on the script. Plus, DH-KR is just too superior to HOI-KR.

I might get back and finish ACROPAL because I still got some ideas but for now, I don't want to.

Comments are welcome, obviously. And just like in ACROPAL, reader suggestions and ideas are welcome and mostly, I give them a shot and implement them in the AAR.

Goals:
Unify China (I think this part is quite obvious) - this includes Mongolia + Tibet
Tries to expel European forces in the Far East.
Optional: Expel the Russians from Siberia if possible.
Resurrect China's naval power by making it the most power navy in the Pacific.
Establish a ring of tributary or ally states. There's a reason why it's the Middle Republic. :D

Q: What about WC?
A: No appetite to do so. One WC AAR is already too much for me.

-----------------------

Table of Contents

Chapter I: The Chaos and the Company
The Year of the Rat
The Fall of the Two Dynasties
The Warlords Era
The German Intervention
The German East Asian Company

Chapter II: A Giant With Feet of Clay
The Black Monday
The Far East in Uncertainty
Breaking the Bowls
The Changsha Revolution

Chapter III: The Rise of the Kuomintang
Opening Salvo
To Split the Black Tiger in Half
The Fall of the Company

Chapter IV: How to Slay Your Dragon
Crossing the Yangtze
The Northern Expedition
Slicing Limb By Limb
The Slain Beast

Chapter V: Your Friends Today, Enemies Tomorrow
Subjection and Rejection
Chinese Civil War
A New Far Right
The Last Hurrah

Chapter VI: Against the Warlords
State of the World 1939
North and South
Triumph Times Two
Westward Reclamation
Up to the Roof of the World

Chapter VII: Tiger Against Bear
Crossbow
The Rock of Hailar
Icy Bear Trap
A Rest in the Winter
Salekhard
The Downfall of the Bear

Chapter VIII: To Swallow a Sun
State of the World 1944
Metal Giants
Over the Amur
The Fading Sun
A Gift for Kublai

Chapter IX: War of Ideologies
The Shanghai Network
Crane and Archer
Timuriad
Fall of Entente
Eastern Syndicalism
The Lands Between India and China

Chapter X: Battle of Titans
Grand Strategy Review 1951
End War
Overwhelmed
Tsar of All Rus
A Necklace of Pearls
Wild Hopes

Chapter XI: Towards a Dark Earth
The King's Mountain Must Not Fall
The Stratocracy
Dead Down Under
Mother of All Bombs
Treaty of Stockholm

Chapter XII: Epilogue
China
Tributaries Part 1
Tributaries Part 2
Mitteleuropa and its surroundings
Africa, and the Americas
The American Anarchy

Last edited:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter I: The Chaos and the Company

“That was the conversation we had. I remember it well enough. In hindsight, he was right about the chain reaction of events which greatly contributes to the revolution, but it wasn't the Mongols nor the Russians who started it.”
- Huang Xing, Revolution and Unification (1965)

------------------------------------------------

The Year of the Rat

21st of January 1936. Unknown location.

Happy New Year...

ratyear.png

...another year for China, another year for me, another year for the revolution. He thought to himself as he watches the midnight merry noises by the crowd and bright pretty explosions made by the fireworks. The people celebrates the Lunar New Year with full spirits.

This new year is special. It is the Year of the Rat. The Rat, since the small animal is the first of the twelve, means a new cycle. A new times. The Emperor in the North capitalised this, saying that “This is a new beginning for the Empire”, promising a reformation. The Millennialists say the same but instead for their own movement, that they will succeed. We must look at their following movements with vigilance.

qingreform.png

Sun Li-Gen was satisfy with his place. Nobody would bother to look at him in this celebration.

Sun broke the silence “I have a feeling that this year will be interesting.”

“Hmmm, everybody says that.”

“This isn't some gut feeling.”

the listener laughed, “heh! Everybody says that too!”

“You don't believe me? Many interesting things starts to happened around us. Soon, the effects would change China”

The listener still looks with skepticism. “I like you, you're a clever strategist, but seriously, I think you need some sleep.

The young general ignored the retort “The Russian President was assassinated 17 days ago and the military stepped in.”

rus01.png

“So? Russia is weak and unstable.”

“But not weak enough to ignore. Now, the Mongols are starting to get bolder. Khan got one of his Russian officer as his right-hand. They are preparing for war.”

mon01.png

mon02.png

“I find it hard to believe that the Mongols with their Russian khan would invade China.”

“No. No. This event would cause another event to happen. The Russian president died, then the Mongols would start a war, then Japan, or the Millennials or the Empire would somehow get into war, and then the Company, then that's when we rise up! This time, we will succeed.”

“You really need to get some sleep.”

Last edited:
You're not going to keep writing ACROPAL? =(

That's sad, I even voted for it in the AARland Choice Awards because it was the one I had more fun with.

Still, I can't wait to see what you got for us with this one.

You're not going to keep writing ACROPAL? =(

That's sad, I even voted for it in the AARland Choice Awards because it was the one I had more fun with.
If I wrote that using DH-KR, I would still doing it. It getting rigid and annoying.
I'm not sure when I'll get back to that but definitely when I finish this. This AAR won't be as huge as ACROPAL since I have no plan for WC or anything extravagant. Then I'll get into that and do some progress. Like I said, I still got some ideas on what to do.

Ohh interesting!: D

The Fall of the Two Dynasties

boxer1.png

The Boxer Rebellion​

The rise of Chinese Nationalism was marked at the beginning of the 20th Century. What many historians have attributed it to is the Boxer Rebellion, and the death of the then reigning Emperor Guangxu. With the addition of several humiliations in the hands of the Westerners and the Japanese, these events have shattered the power of the Dragon Throne, and lead to the rising popularity of Republicanism and Liberalism. Ironically, these ideas and many other are of Western origin.

Excerpts from “The History of Modern China”
After the death of the Emperor, his three-years-old nephew Pu Yi succeeded him, with the regency ensured by his father, Zaifeng, the 2nd Prince Chun. The regent tried to enhance reforms for a more modern constitutional monarchy, eventually removing the powerful general Yuan Shikai from all his positions. However, on October, 10 1911, a military uprising broke out in Wuchang, where an anti-Qing plot within army units had been unveiled: the revolt quickly began to spread throughout China. The republican leader, Sun Yat-Sen, quickly came back from exile to lead the revolution: on December, 29 1911, the provinces which had declared their independance from the Qing Empire elected Sun as the provisional President of the Republic of China, officially proclaiming the Republic on January, 1 1912. Meanwhile, Yuan Shikai, who had been recalled by the powerless regency to lead the army, agreed to recognize the Republic and forced the Empress Dowager Longyu to sign the abdication papers on behalf of the Emperor, Pu Yi.

sunyetsen.png

Sun Yet-San. Founder of modern China, and of the Kuomintang.

puyi.png

The child Emperor Pu Yi​

This is what was known as the First Revolution. It is also written that the new republic is shaky. Indeed, it was. The relationship between the two leaders of the First Revolution, Sun and Yuan, quickly broke down. Yuan Shikai and his personal armies, from Beijing, controls the northern parts, and from Nanjing, Sun Yet-San and the Kuomintang controls the south. Civil war was seem close but Sun backed down.

To prevent civil war and possible foreign intervention from undermining the infant republic, Sun agreed to Yuan's demand that China be united under a Beijing government headed by Yuan, but soon the new President began to overpass his own rights and to persecute Sun's Nationalist Party, the Kuomintang. In July 1913, the revolt of seven southern provinces created the outbreak of the Second Revolution, but it was quickly quelled by Yuan. Sun and his supporters were forced to exile. Supported by monarchists and recognized internationally after making some concessions to the major powers, Yuan began to rewrite the Constitution, gradually showing his own vows of being made Emperor. When the Weltkrieg broke out in 1914, Japan seized German colonial holdings and forced the following year the Beijing government to acknowledge the so-called Twenty-One Demands, that were planned to make China a Japanese protectorate. On 12 December 1915, Yuan declared himself emperor of a new Empire of China: this immediately caused widespread rebellion in numerous provinces, known as the National Protection War.

yuanshikai.png

Yuan Shikai. Once ally of the Kuomintang.​

On 22 March 1916, abandoned by his generals, Yuan formally repudiated monarchy and stepped down as the first and last emperor of his dynasty. Yuan died on 6 June of that year. Yuan Shikai's imperial ambitions finally ended with the return of republican government.

The Qing Dynasty and Yuan Shikai have been removed from the Dragon Throne but the Kuomintang is still stuck in square one.

Note: The pre-1936 history of China in this AAR is sourced from the Kaiserreich wiki.

Last edited:

The Warlords Era

After Yuan Shikai's death, Li Yuanhong became the President and Duan Qirui became the Premier. The Provisional Constitution was reinstated and the parliament convened. Duan Qirui, interested in joining the Allies in the Weltkrieg, was quickly dismissed from the government. Duan's dismissal as the prime minister caused provincial military governors loyal to Duan to declare independence and to call for the president to step down. Li Yuanhong summoned Zhang Xun to mediate the situation.

Zhang Xun had been a general serving the Qing Court and was by this time the military governor of Anhui province. He had his mind on restoring Puyi, who was still residing in the Forbidden City, to the imperial throne. Zhang was supplied with funds and weapons through the German legation who were eager to keep China neutral. On July 1, 1917, Zhang officially proclaimed that the Qing Dynasty has been restored and requested that Li Yuanhong give up his seat as the President, which Li promptly rejected. During the restoration affair, Duan Qirui led his army and defeated Zhang Xun's restoration forces in Beijing. On July 12 Zhang's forces disintegrated and Duan returned to Beijing. The Manchu restoration ended almost as soon as it began.

army3.png

Zhang Xun's personal army​

During this period of confusion, Vice President Feng Guozhang assumed the post of Acting President of the republic. Duan Qirui resumed his post as the Premier. The partnership of the Zhili Clique of Feng Guozhang and the Anhui Clique of Duan Qirui emerged as the most powerful cliques following the restoration affair. Duan Qirui's triumphant return to Beijing essentially made him the most powerful leader in China, but the lack of American support didn't allowed him to join the Allies, and China remained neutral.

zhilianhui.png

The Zhili-Anhui clique. Left: Duan. Right: Feng

battleofarras.png

The Battle of Arras​

In September, Duan's complete disregard for the constitution caused Sun Yat-sen and the deposed parliament members to establish a new government in Guangzhou and the Constitutional Protection Army to counter Duan's abuse of power. Ironically, Sun Yat-sen's new government was a military one. Six southern provinces became part of Sun's Guangzhou military government and repelled Duan's attempt to destroy the Constitutional Protection Army. The Constitutional Protection War continued through 1918. Many in Sun Yat-sen's Guangzhou government felt Sun's position as the Generalissimo was too exclusionary and promoted a cabinet system to challenge Sun's ultimate authority. As a result, the Guangzhou government was reorganized to elect a seven-member cabinet system, known as the Governing Committee. Sun was once again sidelined by his political opponents and military strongmen. He left for Shanghai following the reorganization.

Duan Qirui's Beijing government did not fare much better than Sun's. Some generals in Duan's Anhui Clique and others in the Zhili Clique did not want to use force to unify the southern provinces. They felt negotiation was the solution to unify China and forced Duan to resign in October. In addition, many were distressed by Duan's borrowing of huge sums of Japanese money to fund his army to fight internal enemies. President Feng Guozhang, with his term expiring, was then succeeded by Xu Shichang, who wanted to negotiate with the southern provinces. In February 1919, delegates from the northern and southern provinces convened in Shanghai to discuss postwar situations. However, the meeting broke down over Duan's borrowing of Japanese loans to fund the Anhui Clique army and further attempts at negotiation were hampered by the May Fourth Movement. The Constitutional Protection War essentially left China divided along the north-south border.

warlordsmap.png

Map of China​

• Brown: Zhili Clique
  • Orange: Anhui Clique
  • Blue: Kuomintang with ally warlords
  • Light Green: Fengtian Clique
  • Light Blue: Yunnan Clique
  • Yellow: Shanxi Clique
  • Pink: Ma Clique
  • Red: Japan (w/ Amoy)
  • Green: Germany (w/ Hong Kong, Tsingtao)
  • Grey: Mongolia
  • White: Tibet

The Third Revolution

In 1918, the Beijing government signed a secret deal with Japan accepting the latter's claim to Shandong. When the Peace with Honour rejected the Japanese claim to Shandong and Beijing's sellout became public, internal reaction was shattering. On May 4, 1919, there were massive student demonstrations against the Beijing government and Japan. The political fervour, student activism, and iconoclastic and reformist intellectual currents set in motion by the patriotic student protest developed into a national awakening known as the May Fourth Movement. The May Fourth Movement helped to rekindle the then-fading cause of republican revolution. In 1917 Sun Yat-sen had become commander-in-chief of a rival military government in Guangzhou in collaboration with southern warlords. In October 1919, Sun reestablished the Kuomintang to counter the government in Beijing. The latter, under a succession of warlords, still maintained its facade of legitimacy and its relations with the West. By 1921, Sun had become president of the southern government. He spent his remaining years trying to consolidate his regime and achieve unity with the north. His efforts to obtain aid from the Western democracies were ignored, however, and in 1920 he turned to Germany, who had already won the Weltkrieg at this date.

may4.png

The May Fourth Movement

ww1end.png

The Great War ended with Germany victorious

gersinocoop.png

The German-Kuomintang cooperation​

With German assistance, it seems that the Kuomintang would finally win.

Note: The pre-1936 history of China in this AAR is sourced from the Kaiserreich wiki.

Ready for the ride. :)

Sorry for the lack of updates. I guess I'll accelerate a bit to catch up.

German Intervention

The Zhili clique made an alliance with the Fengtien clique of Zhang Zuolin and defeated the Duan in July 1920. After the death of Feng Guozhang, the Zhili clique was led by Cao Kun. The alliance with the Fengtian was only of convenience and war broke out in 1922 with Zhili driving Fengtian forces back to Manchuria. Next, they wanted to bolster their legitimacy and reunify the country by bringing back Li Yuanhong to the presidency and restoring the National Assembly. They proposed that Xu Shichang and Sun Yat-Sen resign their rival presidencies simultaneously in favor of Li. When Sun issued strict stipulations that the Zhili couldn't stomach, they caused the defection of Kuomintang general Chen Jiongming by recognizing him as governor of Guangdong. With Sun driven out of Guangzhou, the Zhili clique superficially restored the constitutional government that existed prior to Zhang Xun's coup. Cao bought the presidency in 1923 despite opposition by the Kuomintang, Fengtian, Anhui remnants, some of his lieutenants, and the public. In the autumn of 1924, the Zhili appeared to be on the verge of complete victory until Feng Yuxiang betrayed the clique, seized Beijing, and imprisoned Cao. Zhili forces were routed from the north but they kept the center.

fengyuxiang.png

Feng Yuxiang. Warlord of the Zhili Clique
Known as the 'Christian General' for zealously converting his troops to Christianity.
Later on, establishes the Guominjun

warlordsmap2.png

The Zhili Clique [Brown] have almost absorb the lands of the Anhui Clique [Orange] but currently are hard press against Fengtien [Light Green].
The newly establish Guangxi Clique [Maroon] rebelled against their allies, the KMT [Blue], after Chen Jiongming defected to Zhili's side.​
German Assistance

In 1922 the Kuomintang-warlord alliance in Guangzhou was ruptured with the defection of Chen Jiongming, and Sun fled to Shanghai. By then, Sun saw the need to seek German support for his cause. In 1923, a joint statement by Sun and the German representative in Shanghai pledged German assistance for China's national unification. German advisers - such as Wilhelm Canaris - began to arrive in China in 1923 to aid in the reorganization and consolidation of the Kuomintang along the lines of the government in Berlin, who slightly begin to implement more realistic and even traditional valours within the then Republican movement. Sun Yat-sen died of cancer in Beijing in March 1925, as the Nationalist movement he had helped to initiate was gaining momentum.

funeralsun.png

Funeral of Sun Yet-Sen​

With the death of the Father of Chinese Nationalism, the KMT is now in a succession crisis. Soong Ching-Ling (aka Madame Sun) was terribly downplayed by both Left and Right wings. The Left was dominated by the Syndicalist faction, whom are also on a leadership crisis. The Syndicalist faction was divided into two sub-factions; Chiang Kai-Shek's and Mao Zedong's. The result of the rivalry between the two Leftist was settled by the Right. The Germans were successful in putting the former president Xu Shichang, who was beginning to retrieve monarchist inclinations, in command of the Kuomintang, eventually toppling the more pro-Syndicalist rivals. Once Xu's position is secured. He purged the dangerous Syndicalist factions (included Chiang and Mao), permanently eliminating whatever presence the Far Left has in China's political future. Madame Sun was placed under house arrest instead due to her popularity and being the wife of Sun Yet-Sen. With all rivals neutralised, the control of the southern lands that's traditionally KMT grounds was regain once more by defeating Chen and other traitor warlords of the Guangxi Clique.

chiangmao.png

Left: Chiang Right: Mao
These two rivals have fought for the leadership in the Syndicalist faction in the Kuomintang. Only to be both eliminated by Xu.

soong1.png

Soong Ching-Ling. Recently widowed.
One of the few high politicians remaining who still follows Sun's Three Principles from skin to bone.​

Feng had formed his own faction called the Guominjun which was ideologically sympathetic to the southern Kuomintang government but not a part of it. As a compromise, they gave Duan Qirui whose Anhui clique was near extinct a place within the Guominjun in exchange of annexing Anhui. Fengtian was far stronger in terms of manpower as KMC troops were stretched thinly across a vast area. Negotiations in north-south reunification went nowhere since Zhang and Duan had little in common with Sun Yat-Sen who had died in March 1925. Later that year, fighting broke out after Fengtien general Guo Congling defected to the Guominjun.

Moreover, the 1924 Floods, who led to the death of more than 2 millions of Chinese, definitely broke an emotional barrier: on December, Lu Zhongyi and Zhang Tianran officially declared that the Mandate of Heaven was lost and none of the competing warlord deserved it and called for an uprising against the government, leading to the establishment of the Shangqing Tianguo, which rallied most of the members of the new bureaucracy. The upstart movement was an unpleasant surprise as they eliminated the Shaanxi Clique.

shangqingflag.png

The Pure Kingdom Upon the Heavens​

The Restoration of the Qing Dynasty

Tensions between Feng Yuxiang [Kuominjun] and Xu Shichang [Kuomintang] flared up as the latter was an open monarchist, and in effect, destroying one of the KMT's raison d'etre. The relations between the two sides reached its breaking point when Feng Yuxiang expel Emperor Pu Yi from the Forbidden City. Xu Shichang issued in the end of the year, after having purged the Kuomintang, a Call to the Mighty German Empire, where he described the situation of complete anarchy of China and praised the Kaiser Wilhelm II for its achievements; a delegation was also sent to Pu Yi's retreat in Tientsin. The Guominjun declared that the Kuomintang had betrayed the Republican cause and Feng Yuxiang invaded the Kuomintang-controlled zone, after securing alliance with the Fengtien Clique.

German press spread Xu's message throughout Germany and convince the public opinion of intervention in the Far East. Both Governors, Governor Hans Von Seeckt of Indochina and Governor Werner von Fritsch of Tsingtau, Hong Kong, and Shanghai have warned that any Guominjun invasion would be met by immediate response. On March, 8 1926, a skirmish between Guominjun soldiers near the German concession in Shanghai led to the declaration of war of Germany to China.

gerintervmap.png

Map of China during the German War of Intervention​
  • Dark Blue: Guominjun
  • Light Blue: Kuomintang
  • Orange: Fengtien Clique
  • Grey: German Empire
  • Dark Orange: Shangqing Tianguo
  • Yellow: Japan
  • Bright Yellow: Yunnan Clique

germanyww1.png

German troops engaging in a skirmish near Shanghai​

The campaign was made very quickly. In less than six months, German troops coming from Indochina and Tsingtau, supported by a blockade led by Grand Admiral Franz von Hipper, quickly overwhelmed the Guominjun forces; most of their leaders fled to Mongolia or Japan, or managed to retain some bastions in inner China, such as in Yunnan, or in Manchuria, which was invaded by Japanese forces during the German intervention. In the end, most of continental China was occuped by Sino-German forces. Thanks to German help, the Millenarian revolt revolt was quickly quelled and restrained to the mountains of western China. Following his own policies and after managing an agreement with former Emperor Pu Yi, Xu Shichang officially proclaimed the restoration of the Qing Empire on November 1926, following the Treaty of Nanjing that had delimited continental China: the south was left to the economic exploitation of German firms, collectively known as Algoastasien GmbH, while the north was under the restored Empire's control albeit under slight joint German-Japanese military control. Foreign trade was left to the richest cities of the coast, under a joint control of world powers owning interests in China, known as the Legation Cities or Treaty Ports.

legationflag.png

The Legation Cities

aogflag.png

The Allgemeine Ostasiatische Gesellschaft​

The new era officially began on February, 2 1927, date of the beginning of the Fire Rabbit Year. Kuomintang won this war but they lost everything else. Under both Qing administration and the German conglomerate, the true KMT are being heavily prosecuted.

Some changes here and there. Mao didn't really exist in the KR Canon but Chiang was "purged" however it wasn't explicit whether Chiang was killed. There was also no mention of Madame Sun being arrested.
Chen Jiongming did defect but was appointed governor of Guangdong, according to Canon. I think it was bland so I made him the warlord of Guangxi Clique instead with his lip-service to Zhili Clique.

This is the 2nd to the last "intro" update. Another one regarding the AOG update tomorrow then that's the end of the chapter. Next chapter will be the start of the game.

Last edited:
Interesting, I never knew the backstory of the Algoasien.

Interesting, I never knew the backstory of the Algoasien.
Same here. Now the next update is how it works.

The German East Asian Company

aogflag.png

Allgemeine Ostasiatische Gesellschaft, or General East Asian Company, is the biggest corporation in the world. In both the capacity of their business and its lands owned. While de jure, according to the Treaty of Nanjing 1926, the lands are owned by the Qing Empire, the overall control belongs to company. If one is looking for a good comparison, the defunct British East India Company is a perfect example of it. A land ruled by a corporation.

Vonfalkenhausen.png

Alexander von Falkenhausen.
A veteran, Governor-General of Algostasien GmbH,
and the Chief of Staff of the German Colonial Forces in AOG.​

The Algostasien GmbH, is ruled by a Governor-General, who is the manager of the corporation and head of the Board of Directors. However, the Governor-General and the Board of Directors are not exactly absolute. Accounting on his actions and proposals are their shareholders, private individuals in Germany or in China or in other countries, but the one who owns the most stocks is the German government. The shareholders meet annually to see up agendas for the board to fulfil. They can also to reshuffle the Board, and/or change the Governor-General if they see fit.

The Board of Directors are divided into two:

The Executive Council: In a corporation that acts as a nation, it must have an executive branch that manages the everyday non-financial matters of the company, such as the armed forces, military intellegence, internal policy, etc etc.

aogcabinet.png

The Executive Council​

The Managing Council: The Algostasien GmbH owns the majority of all industrial and agricultural firms in its land, enough to be a monopoly, and too owns several assets in Northern China controlled by the Qing. Each trade category is own by a sub-company or two or a few. And so, the Algostasien GmbH is, what you call, a conglomerate. Meaning that the company is made up of two or more corporations engaged in different trades. Every sub-company has a managing director, and every MD has a place in the Managing Council.

boardmeeting.png

A meeting of the Managing Council​

Allgemeine Ostasiatische Gesellschaft rule on Southern China

On the German perspective, several companies see China as a virgin land that's ripe for development, rich in raw materials and workforce. Thus, they have used China as a testing ground for radical production and administration techniques, leading to a quick industrialization and proved to be a successful and profitable enterprise.

factory1.png

On the Chinese side, the Company employed a 'carrot and stick' rule. The Chinese workers, from most of the agricultural and industrial fields, benefited from the massive investment made by the conglomerate. All those employed by the gigantic corporation were given these “Iron Rice Bowls” jobs. Iron rice bowl is a Chinese idiom used to refer to an occupation with guaranteed job security, as well as steady income and benefits, which is greatly popular among the people.

Another aspect is the encouragement of Chinese collaborators. Allowing native members of the corporation to run AOG firms throughout the corporate ladder. The scheme even allowed Chinese into the Board of Directors. Hoping this would further improve AOG's image and that the elites would defect to starve the resistance of its leadership quantities.

factory2.png

The loss of the Syndicalist and the Royalist Conservative members made the KMT weaker. With all that remains are the moderates; Social-Democrats, Liberals, and Republican Conservatives. The constant hunting by the AOG's new army kept the rebels underground without exercising any significant activities against the regimes.

aogtroops.png

AOG army​

This relative prosperity (the carrot) along with the incessant suppression of the revolutionaries (the stick) made Southern China, the home ground of the Kuomintang ever since the First Revolution, a stable place with no revolts for almost a decade.

aogmap.png

China and neighbouring regions​

A decade after the Treaty of Nanjing 1926, Sun Li-gen, the supreme commander of the KMT, stepped away from his window and tries to sleep as the Lunar New Year celebration was already passed its climax with just scattered fireworks remains in the dark sky. He closed his eyes knowing that despite all the hardship and failures, there is hope.

End of Chapter

Notes: This update is mixed with KR Canon and my own interpretation on what the AOG looks like.

Last edited:
Nice, the AOG canon is one of the more "detailed" ones.

http://editthis.info/kaiserreich/Allgemeine_Ostasiatische_Gesellschaft

But if you have ideas or anything on how to improve the canon every suggestion would be nice to see :)
I added the Managing Council since I don't know how the AOG manages its corporate matters. The Canon Board of Directors only shows officials who would deal with state matters.

My suggestion is an addition on the "Establishment of the Algostasien GmbH" section. It's too short for me to get info. I would suggest that the AOG was very successful, on both carrot and stick, since the Company is running for 10 years and its stable at the start of the game. Only the Black Monday and Reactionary reforms (after a look at the event files) seems to spark some revolution.

Last edited:
Eh, who needs Soviet Bolshevism when you have Chinese Paternal Autocracy? I'll watch this happily.

As the blundering sod who wrote the current Republic of China events, I must say I'm very impressed so far. You've done all the backstory a proper AAR requires in a convincing way. And I dohope Madame Sun will get her place in the (teehee) sun.

Eh, who needs Soviet Bolshevism when you have Chinese Paternal Autocracy? I'll watch this happily.
Thanks for following this.

so.. all that above is history?
i like it!
Yup. The first update was the Chinese New Year of 1936. Just a few weeks after game start. Afterwards, all of those are history, yeah, based on the Kaiserreich Canon on its wiki.

As the blundering sod who wrote the current Republic of China events, I must say I'm very impressed so far. You've done all the backstory a proper AAR requires in a convincing way. And I dohope Madame Sun will get her place in the (teehee) sun.
Not to steal any credits but I did the conservative (and lazy) approach. I just copied most of it from the wiki. I think it's perfect enough for me. I just added some stuff to compliment it. e.g. Mao Zedong. Everyone would miss Mao if I didn't put him in.

Update coming up!

Chapter II: A Giant With Feet of Clay

“This great image, whose brightness was excellent, stood before thee; and the form thereof was terrible. This image's head was of fine gold, his breast and his arms of silver, his belly and his thighs of brass, His legs of iron, his feet part iron and part clay. Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces. Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together."
- The Book of Daniel, Chapter 2.

The Black Monday

qingreform.png

The Qing Emperor's message during the Chinese New Year (27th of January) gained the attention of everyone; The Company, Germany, the KMT, and Japan. Many were curious on what these reforms actually are. But this diplomatic posturing was later overshadowed by a much larger event that would shock the entire globe.

blackmonday.png

Massive panicked by the German citizenry as shares crashes at the Berlin Stock Market. Thousands of people are rushing into the banks to withdraw their money. The banks fear that they cannot afford to give out such sums. Many are in danger of collapse. The financial centre beg the government to take action. Two days later, an emergency meeting was held and the Reichstag urgently passed a motion that closes down the banks and freezes its assets.

bankrun.png

closebank.png

After a week of depressing performance of the market, panic-selling of stocks in an all-time high, the 'Black Week' have claimed 11 major corporations as its casualties. Make no mistake, Germany is not the only victim. The shock wave have spread throughout “Middle Europe”, countries that are deeply connected to Germany. At the end of the month, the 'Black Monday' have broke out of Middle Europe and spread to Russia. Many began to fear that this calamity would spread worldwide. Facing a lot of pressure from everybody, Berlin have made an announcement that:

“We would intervene in this exceptional circumstances, We shall take measures that is only necessary to reverse this trend without destroying the free market.

gerintervene.png

damBMeffect.png

One of Midde Europe countries that were greatly affected by the Black Monday

BMrussia.png

Russia, while isn't deeply connected to Germany economically, was also affect later on.​

The Internationale have make use of this disaster by popularising the Red movement and criticising the self-destructive Capitalist system. They were fairly successful. Its influence in China was non-existent due to the purge by Xu Shichang.

protest.png

---------------------

12th of February 1936. Guilin, Algostasien GmbH.

guilin1.png

“What's taking them so long? We should send our reserves.”

Sun Li-Gen looked at his colleague. “Patience. Just give them some chance.”

The supreme commander looked at the capital city again. It made him wonder why the Germans picked this place as the Company's capital instead of the bigger Guangzhou.

A few moments later, gunshots rang out of the still busy city. A few screams and panic among the population. He hopes that the target is there, just as planned. Several minutes later, a huge trail of smoke snakes up toward the sky.

They had planned this for weeks. This is a rare chance of opportunity. It has to work. The mole within have manage to adjust the timetable so that the target would come to the head-office palace hours before the dinner party. With hours way ahead of the event, it is theorised that the security would be at its weakest. These AOG VIPs are always heavily protected.

The smoke gradually grows wider and the red flames have become visible. Sun Li-Gen gave the orders to prepare to back the assault team of they are being chased by AOG troops and constables. More time was spent waiting until the kerfuffle starts to move towards their position. A disordered convoy rushed to them.

“Hold your fire!”

The wounded convoy passed through. The KMT troops open fire at the pursuers. After a quick firefight, the AOG fell back. The general ordered for a rear guard to prevent any further chases. The escape went smooth for hours, and no sign of aircraft in this darkness. Good thing it was winter where the days are short. The KMT vehicles stopped and Sun Li-Gen step out of his, and went to one of the assault team's cars.

His escort skipped forward, opened the back seat door, and saluted. The general's look down to see the passenger.

“Good evening, Madame Sun.”

“Oh.”

He gave a smile “You already guessed that it was us?”

“Somewhat. It's relieving that my late husband's vision isn't lost within his people. I thought the Company has already bought all of you. A kindle still remains”

“We shared his dreams. We are his. We are his dream. And a small kindle is better than no fire at all.” He replied. The madame nodded in agreement.

“Did my troops treated you well during the rescue?”

“Yes. The initial trip where everybody is in a hurry is a little rough but it was alright.” He saw the stoic face of the widow. The general guessed that her home prison made her like this.

“And what of my possessions?”

“We have another battalion sent to your residence. As we expected, the place was lightly guarded with your absence. Glad to have you back, Madame Sun.”

headofficeburn.png

The next day was a big headline for the newspapers. The capital of the AOG, after a decade of silence, was suddenly found itself under attack by the KMT. The garrison didn't response well by the surprise. Its forces, mostly in the borderlands and the Guangzhou area, were too far to make a quick counter attack. Unfortunately, the mole, Lee-Hom Ren, was arrested and was charged with conspiracy and arson. The news of Madame Sun being rescued was covered up to prevent agitation from the people.

Last edited:
Mmmmmm, this is getting spicy! Can't wait to see more.