• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Theotian

Sergeant
7 Badges
Mar 17, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
I stopped playing ck2 for a while and now this epic patch is here i love playing it again.However i now am playing as a new game with sword of islam and i see this thing called decadence what is its purpose? does this mean i shouldn't give land to any of my family members? what is the best way to lower decadence.

decadence means a "luxurious self-indulgence". Basically the decadence value is a percentage and the higher it is the unhappier your populace is. People do tend to get unhappy when you spend the money for famine relief on your 5th royal palace.

so could giving money to mayors and building city buildings help?

No. Your court chaplin can perform a mission to give alms which does help though.

The best way to manage decadence is to just imprision your entire family. It's not worth trying to land them as it gets too hard. Especially when they then go on to have 6 kids of their own...

You can imprision any family member except your sons without tyranny. Give a dukedom to your sons and then take it away (tyrany free) then give it back to them and take it away again untill they revolt to imprison your sons. Educate all your sons yourself and you should end up with a golden child who you can heap lands and titles on to carry on your good work.

It's a bit annoying tbh as it forces you into a pretty gamey way of playing and doesn't allow you to grow your family very much the way you would in a Christian game.

so could giving money to mayors and building city buildings help?
No, you either have to land all of your sons with high enough titles (depends on your own title) or wait till your heir succeeds and then imprison your brothers. In Muslim culture, your allowed to imprison and execute relatives as long as they're not your sons.
Also, there are events that help lower your dynasty's decadence.