• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RedTemplar

Diagnosed Megacampaign Addict
90 Badges
Mar 10, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
Ye Olde Introduction!

Well hey there AAR readers! Paradox's games are amazingly in-depth and open-ended, but the most fun aspect of them is writing AARs and putting a compelling story to go with my game. I've written a few on and off in the past -- some of them have made it to the end, others have been the victim of bugs or that crazy thing we call "real life" and "a job." I've usually focused on HoI 2 and its various mods and offshoots, took a bit of a liking to Europa Universalis III, and just utterly failed to grasp HoI 3 and never really bothered with it.

Now, thanks to Steam's fancypants sale, I'm taking my first foray into Crusader Kings. I always wanted to try the first game, but never really invested the time.. Now, I've found CK2 extremely fascinating, especially because of its strong character-driven nature... So with that said, I'm putting together my first CK2 AAR, which will also be my first real CK2 -game- unless you count the various mini-games I've pounded through to try to grasp the basics of the game. So be aware as this AAR starts: since this IS my first game, I haven't got a clue what I'm doing, for the most part :blink:

The Quick Info

- The AAR is being played using the Sword of Islam dlc, as well as the CK2+ Mod. Yes, it's probably suicidal to try to play a mod that makes the game MORE complicated before I even learn the base, but hey... A lot of the features in CK2+ look like they make me happy, so I'm going for it.

- My goal isn't necessarily to succeed at becoming all-powerful and far-reaching. This is partly because I have low expectations for myself since I'm new to the game, but also because I'd much rather focus on telling good, (hopefully) interesting stories about the characters in my game. If I happen to expand my territory and grow powerful, great. But I'm mainly out to have fun and tell some stories.

- I plan to let character abilities, traits, backgrounds, etc. factor heavily into my decision making. That means I'm perfectly happy to make an utterly boneheaded decision if I feel it's what my moron of a character would do. In fact, I'm already partway through preparing the first actual game update, and I've already done at least one pretty stupid thing, simply because I thought the traits lined up and made it compelling.

- In terms of writing style, I'll probably be using a mix of methods... History book, third-person narrative, first-person narrative, journal writings, whatever I feel is a good medium to show whatever event is going on. Expect a fairly slow pace, though -- I want to take my time and enjoy the characters in front of me.

I'll be beginning as a fictional Count, Raniero di Ruggiero, a pious young man who is the Count of Orvieto, the only vassal of the Papacy. A difficult spot to work in? Yeah, probably. But something about playing the Papal lap dog County just seemed like fun. :cool:

On to the AAR

With that said, here we go! I plan on putting up the first gameplay update tomorrow giving a little flavor / background and getting the beginning of the game underway... For right now, I'm just posing this up to hopefully catch a few eyes and intrigue a little interest so I'll have a few readers hen tomorrow rolls around!

The Vatican Vassals
000-HousediRuggieroCoatofArms.jpg

The Story of House di Ruggiero

Table of Contents

September 1066: The di Ruggiero Family's Emergence

September 1066 - July 1068: Excerpts From the Personal Journals of Raniero di Ruggiero

July 1068 - December 1072: Raniero & His Ladies

December 1072 - June 1085: Like Arrows in the Hand of a Warrior

June 1085 - December 1094: Orvieto on Offense

December 1094 - January 1109: Raniero's Only Son

January 1109 - May 1110: To Claim the Holy Land

May 1110 - July 1132: Duke Agostino's Greed

March 1142 - October 1158: Agostino's Grandiose Grandson

October 1158 - December 1163: Of Quality, Not of Quantity

December 1163 - February 1198: Carlo I's Schemes

April 1200 - September 1201: Italy Split in Three

June 1207 - October 1218: A Decade of War

Last edited:
PSH

COMPLICATEDNESS IS GOOD

I LEARNED HOW TO PLAY VICTORIA WITHOUT READING THE MANUAL BECAUSE I WAS 3

&c

Good luck this looks really good

September 1066
The di Ruggiero Family's Emergence

As of the latter months of A.D. 1066, the majority of the Italian peninsula was divided between two primary powers. The northern regions of Italy were under the control of Holy Roman Emperor Heinrich IV, while most of the southern peninsula was under the rule of Robert I, Duke of Apulia. Btween those two spheres of influence sat the religious center of the world -- the holy city of Rome, from which His Holiness Pope Alexander II led the Catholic faithful of all the world.

007-OrvietoSep1066.jpg

Though the Pope commanded immense wealth, as well spiritual and political sway, his actual landed possessions made up only a small area. The Holy Father himself held his capitol in Rome, and also maintained direct control over the County of Orbetello to the northeast. In the middle sat the only Papal County delegated to the rule of a layman -- the County of Orvieto. Previously, the County had been held by Giacopo Orsini, but the favor of a liege is far easier to lose than to gain. Under Papal scrutiny and in disagreement with the Holy Father, Giacopo was removed from his place in Orvieto, and fled to the island county of Arborea to serve a new liege. In his place, Alexander II placed a young man by the name of Raniero di Ruggiero.

012-CastleOrvieto.jpg
001-RanierodiRuggieroSep1066.jpg

An unproven young noble at the age of 27, hailing from an unproven young noble family with little history, the young Raniero likely owed his opportunity to the ardent, zealous devotion that was well known as the center of his life. A frequent sight in the chapels and cathedrals of Orvieto, and often seen on pilgrimages to Rome, Raniero was fiercely loyal to his Church and his Pope and known to have a decidedly brave character. Eager to at once serve his Pope and pursue the bettering of his family, Raniero entered his newly-given county with energy, enthusiasm, and a great deal of pious display.

Upon being instated as Count of Orvieto, Raniero arranged for a special Mass to be celebrated by Callisto di Narni, the local Bishop and Raniero's chosen Court Chaplain.

010-BishopricofNarni.jpg
003-BishopCallistoofNarni.jpg

The Bishop displayed a great deal of patience in arranging and scheduling the Liturgy according to Raniero's desires, but there was something slothful about his demeanor during the ceremony itself, the way he almost slogged through the prayers and motions as if burdened by them. Despite that sluggish demeanor, Raniero continually heard from the locals that the Bishop was known to handle his affairs justly and often displayed a strong sense of ambition. The Mass was attended by all of Raniero's courtiers and many local figures, the most noticeable of which was Alcide di Terni, the mayor of the County's main city.

011-CityofTerni.jpg
002-MayorAlcideofTerni.jpg

Of all the men Raniero met in entering Orvieto, it was Mayor Alcide who made the strongest impression on the young Count. It seemed everyone, from the citizens of Terni to his fellow courtiers, had something positive to say of the Mayor's just rule, his patient attitude, or his unfailingly honest speech. He struck Raniero as a man of integrity, and one that he was glad to have at his side serving as his Chancellor.

The rest of young Raniero's court was comprised of a mix of generally lackluster talents and personalities, mainly from the local nobility; in particular, several members of the local di Amelia family, and even a few lowborn courtiers. While the talent that surrounded him left something to be desired, Raniero placed a great deal of trust in his Mayor Alcide and Bishop Callisto, and thought his small demesne in good hands.

With his courtiers in place and his inner council selected, Raniero was now prepared to go about the business of managing his county, serving his Pope, and expanding the reach and power of the di Ruggiero family. But first on the list of priorities was his most pressing need; the need for a wife, and an heir. Without one, his death would see his title return to the personal holding of Alexander II -- chances like this one were not to be wasted.

And there we have the opening post! The ruler designer does a lovely job of starting you off unmarried and childless with pretty much no connections, so this should be a fun time of trying to take my little crap-hole county and turn it into something :)

As I said in the introduction, I plan to take my time with the pacing of this AAR... Each ruler's reign will likely have several posts to highlight the events of their lives -- it's the narrative I'm interested in moreso than the advancement of centuries and spread of borders. But hopefully some people's interest is snagged by this setup, and I can get a little readership going :)

Edit I see a hundred-odd views.. Someone say hello! :p

Last edited:
It's a placeholder icon to prevent... something. Yes it is CK2+ related.

September 1066 - July 1068
Excerpts From the Personal Journals of Raniero di Ruggiero

November 11, 1066

I have been in my place as Count of Orvieto for scarcely two months, and I have found that there is much needing my attention. Holding such a small and undeveloped demesne, I ordered the taxation of the city of Terni increased (Min --> Low) to help fund my efforts to build and improve the County. There was some discontent over it, but my vassals and courtiers remain happy. I've dispatched my council members throughout the County, save for the Reverend Bishop, who has gone off to Rome to attempt to curry favor with the Holy Father by making the piety of myself and of my County known to His Holiness Alexander. Chancellor Alcide, my well trusted friend, is doing his best to try to find a suitable claim to press in southern Italy, and so I see little of him, as well. Slowly but surely, our coffers are filling with meager but workable amounts of gold, and I am settling comfortably into my rule.

December 19, 1066

I am not quick to forget that, among my many responsibilities, the most important and urgent of my duties is to marry and produce an heir to secure the family rule in Orvieto. To that end, my trusted Court Chaplain, Bishop Callisto, introduced me to a young debutante named Letizia, of the di Narni family. It seems that he has done his homework in bringing her to the court -- she is of respectable education, highly zealous for the faith just as I am, and humble and patient on top of it all. And, being from a local noble family, marrying her would help to endear me to the locals. The Bishop is more than just a good pastor, it seems, but a deft matchmaker.

009-DebutanteLetiziadiNarni.jpg

It all makes sense, and it would benefit myself and my family well. And yet, I find my eyes drawn elsewhere. Letizia stimulates me in conversation, inspires me in prayer, and shows her education in her delightful conversation. But even as I enjoy her company, I cannot help but see my attention drawn to another of my courtiers, the young Altruda. At the age of sixteen, she has all the beauty a man could ask for. Her eyes are such a striking blue, and they gaze with such purity from beneath the hood of her cloak. Her feature are soft and delicate, in contrast to the sharp refinement of Letizia. Yes, Altruda may be craven and prone to fear, but the way her personality is so trusting, her demeanor so gregarious, gives her an almost mystifying air of vulnerability, but charm and beauty. I almost feel as if I want to love her and protect her in her timidity at the same time.

016-Altruda.jpg

But there is one great problem -- she is of low birth. Even though I am a young Count of a small and unrenowned family ruling over but a single small County, it would still be a scandalous act to marry a woman of Altruda's birth. I have spoken of my feelings for her with the Bishop, who has assured me that it would be an unwise decision to marry her. In any event, I must choose a course of action soon -- I must waste no time in bringing an heir to the County seat.

April 25, 1067

Last night, in a beautiful and solemn Nuptial Mass, Altruda and I were wed, and she was raised from her low status to become the Countess of Orvieto. The choice to marry her did not come without controversy; I hear many whispers, even among my own court, and I am told that the conversation throughout the County is often unkind -- Mayor Alcide has warned me that the perception of my prestige among our own and our neighbors is suffering. I understand that there are expectations for men of high birth to preserve their dignity and marry a woman of status, but of those who speak scornfully of my marriage, I would ask: have they read the Scriptures?

Did the Prophet Hosea not receive the Lord's own blessing to marry the prostitute Gomer? Surely this was looked upon with scorn as well, and yet it was for the Divine Purpose, and recorded in the Holy Scriptures for all the ages. Surely, if our Lord would direct Hosea to marry as such, he would surely give his blessing for me in marrying a woman of great character, but low birth. I trust that, in time, history will show that the Holy Spirit was upon this marriage, and that great and blessed fruit will spring from it.

Nevertheless, in order to alleviate the damage of the murmuring and discontent, I declined to collect a Royal Aid Duty from the locals to fund the wedding, instead opting to pay all the related expenses from my own treasury. This has preserved some of my reputation, and I am told that, all things considered, I am still held in a positive view. But I will not hide my wife from the public eye. As a woman of low birth, she knows well the struggles of the poor; accordingly, I have given her the honorary title of High Almoner, to oversee the collecting and giving of alms to Orvieto’s poor.

May 12, 1068

It has been both a joyous and sorrowful season for me as I begin this year. To my delight, the time for Altruda's pregnancy has almost ended -- within the next month or two, she should give birth to our first child. I pray that the Lord, in His mercy and benevolence, would grant me a son for my first child! Altruda insists that she desires a daughter, and I would see her get her wish in time. But I wish for my first, and eldest child, to be a male, that he could become the man of the family after my death.

On a somber note, however, this month saw the passing of my dear friend, Mayor Alcide. As the Mayor of Terni and my trusted Chancellor, he was a very critical part of my County's rule. In his place, I have watched a useless, gluttonous, slothful, and embarrassingly craven lowborn man even younger than I, take over the Mayoral seat of Terni.

014-MayorAmedeo.jpg

Were it within my means, I would revoke his title and send the cowardly wastrel back to the streets. But I must be mindful of my prestige within the realm, and, especially after my marriage to my wife Altruda, I am not in a position to remove him. So for now, I must wait and watch this incompetent fool oversee my most important city. Though the title of Count does come with power, unfortunately the social system in which we live has its limitations. I would hope that his life ends quickly, but to do so would go against Our Lord's command against anger. I fear I may already need to visit Bishop Callisto for the Sacrament of Confession...

July 1, 1068

At last, at the age of 28, I am a father! Altruda and I have been married for little over a year, and we now have the first of what I pray may be many children. This morning, the midwives brought our beautiful baby girl into the world. It was Altruda's dream to have a daughter, and so I gave her the freedom to name the girl as she wished. She chose Lucia, in honor of the pious saint and virgin -- a beautiful choice.

015-LuciadiRuggiero.jpg

As it stands now, young Lucia is the official heir to the County; until, God willing, Altruda bears me a son. My daughter is a beautiful child to behold, and I know I will love her dearly; but love her as I do, I would still see a son of mine take to the rule of Orvieto. And now I must end my writing for this evening. I have planned to throw a Summer Fair to celebrate the birth of my first child, and I wish to rise early to see to its arrangement.

There you have it... Off-the-wall decision number one. Skipping out on the new young noble girl to run off with the lowborn chick he has the hots for. But hey, why the heck not? At this point I'm basically just working at getting him kids and trying to gather up some prestige / cash / piety, which is a -slow- process in one tiny lil County.

July 1068 - December 1072
Raniero & His Ladies

The birth of Raniero and Altruda's first child, their daughter Lucia in July of 1068, instilled a new vigor and ambition in the Count of Orvieto. Though he had hoped for a son, the simple realization of his dream of fatherhood and the knowledge that he now had a blood-related heir put a spring in the Count's step. The Summer Festival called to celebrate Lucia's birth proved to be a great success. Vendors filled the streets of Orvieto, Altruda brought bands of traveling performers to the castle to entertain them for dinner, and the County was alive with celebration.

024-SummerFairSuccess.jpg
019-BawdyFairAct.jpg

The festival would be felt even after it passed -- the upsurge in business from the festivities helped to give added strength to Orvieto's local economy, despite a few awkward moments when Raniero's pious sense of humor got on the wrong side of some of the fair's more ribald performers. Raniero looked at it as a favorable omen from God; his daughter was born, and her festival was already serving to improve the quality of life in the County -- from there, things could only go up. He remained committed to Altruda despite the controversy of their marriage, and Letizia, the young lady presented by Bishop Callisto, eventually went on to marry another of Raniero's courtiers.

Just over a year later, Altruda was found with her second child in November of 1069, the same month in which Lucia had been conceived. A week before Lucia's second birthday, Altruda gave birth to a second daughter. This time it was Raniero who chose the child's name, and gave her the name of Maria, after the Blessed Mother. Entering into the middle years of his life, Raniero was a loving husband and the joyous father of two girls -- there was little more the Count of Orvieto could ask for.

022-RanieroMiddleAge.jpg

In the world around him, the Holy Roman Empire waged a long series of wars to suppress growing numbers of rebellions throughout the Imperial lands, making central Europe one of the most turbulent parts of the world in those years.

018-HREJul1068.jpg

Within his own realm, the Count continued to raise taxes, this time on the feudal vassals of the County (Min --> Low) and spent much of the rest of his available time wit his daughters, and participating in a Great Hunt in the fall of 1071 that led to him personally killing a vicious bear in a display of strength and martial strength.

It was the following year of 1072 that would prove the most dramatic yet for the Count. In May, the local Church came to Raniero and, at the Count's funding (another attempt to put his piety on display), a Miracle Play was performed recounting the life and miracles of Saint Lucia, the namesake of Orvieto's present heiress. The performance was well put together and lifted Raniero's spirits immensely. Praying fervently to Saint Lucia, he implored her intercession to the Lord to bless the County, the Church, and his wife and daughters.

023-StLuciaMiraclePlay.jpg

Count Raniero did not receive his miracle.

Instead, just two days after Christmas of that year, his second daughter Maria died of pneumonia at the tender age of two.

021-DeathofMaria.jpg

December 1072 - June 1085
Like Arrows in the Hand of a Warrior

A Daughter's Death
The death of young Lucia took a harsh emotional toll on Raniero and Altruda. Up until this point, Raniero had run into little in the way of setbacks or tragedies in his rule of Orvieto. He had dealt with some fallout for marrying a lowborn wife, and there was an occasional disgruntled courtier to deal with, but nothing on this magnitude had yet occurred in his life and short reign. For several days, both the Count and Countess were inconsolable. The winter passed in a solemn spirit, and Raniero spent a great deal of time by himself, either locked away in his chambers or spending hours in anguished prayer at the castle's chapel.

It was not until April of 1073 that his spirits were lifted by the news that Altruda was again pregnant. Perhaps, he thought, God had heard his cries of agony and shown mercy on him by giving him another child? Perhaps, even, it would be his long-awaited son to inherit his County? The news of the impending birth finally raised Raniero from his depression and got him active in the realm again, showing a level of vigor that hadn't been seen in the Count for months.

The child was born in the midst of the County's fall celebrations. Raniero had chosen to host a lavish feast for his vassals, personally slaying a wild boar to provide meat for the event and sparing no expense at providing the finest food available. In addition to entertaining himself and his vassals, the feast inadvertently became a welcoming feast for Raniero's long-desired son, who was born in the midst of the several-day-long celebration. Finally receiving the boy he had prayed for, Raniero gave him the name Agostino, for the great theologian and saint, Augustine of Hippo.

New Life and New Hope

With the joyful birth of his son, any remaining vestiges of depression completely left Raniero as he embraced the raising of his new heir. Altruda was given permission to become Lucia's guardian and raise her as she willed -- Raniero would focus on mentoring his son, when he came of the proper age.

The birth of Agostino marked the beginning of what seemed like a rapid string of childbirths in the County of Orvieto. Atenolfo di Orvieto, Raniero's long-serving Spymaster, bore two daughters with Letizia di Narni, the young debutante who had been passed over by Raniero in favor of his marriage to Altruda. Angelo di Amelia, the respected Marshall of Orvieto, bore two sons, though the first died in childbirth. Not all of the births coming to Orvieto, however, were so pure and welcomed.

025-HedgeKnightsArrive.jpg

The arrival of a group of Hedge Knights to Orvieto became the occasion for feasting and entertainment, as Raniero welcomed them for their stay in the County. Their presence, while at times entertaining with their feats of martial strength, was at other times undesirable -- Bishop Callisto was particularly ruffled by their coarse behavior, and made his displeasure very vocally known to Raniero. One of the men, however, truly did enjoy his stay a little too much.

026-Barnaba.jpg

A knight named Barnaba, connected to the Di Narni family, ran afoul of several of the courtiers when he seduced, and subsequently impregnated, a young single courtier named Ludovica, resulting in a bastard daughter. Though frustrated with the indiscretion of both, Raniero agreed to allow them to remain at court in Orvieto, provided that they went to the Church to be married so as to legitimize the child. They did so, and the marriage brought a skilled fighter to the court in Barnaba, but their two eventual children both proved sickly and difficult.

Rebellion & Change Abroad

As children sprang out in Orvieto, wars ravaged two of Europe's largest powerhouses -- England and France. Both countries saw extended periods of bloody rebellion in which multiple vassals rose up at once to challenge their lieges for independence. Both, however, ultimately suppressed their rebellions and restored the unity of their crown lands.

030-EnglishCivilWar.jpg
032-FrenchUprising.jpg

The Catholic Church also saw a significant change, as the elderly and infirm Alexander II finally passed on in April of 1079. In the place of the old Pontiff rose Gregory VII, a much less admirable character than his predecessor. Marked by a reputation for greed, gluttony, and pride, Raniero was weary of the new Holy Father, who he worried might not prove so friendly and supportive as Alexander had been. Throughout his early years, however, Gregory remained silent, entirely removed from the affairs of Orvieto with the exception of a few inter-court marriages between the Papal Court and Raniero's own courtiers.

028-PopeGregoryVII.jpg

Raniero Revitalized

As Altruda continued to bear children, and his slowly growing wealth allowed him to build and expand within the County, Raniero's spirits reached one of their highest points of his life. As a middle-aged man, he took to dueling for sport, competing in the joust and contests of swordsmanship against the finest opponents he could find. Though it worried many of his courtiers, and especially his own wife, the exhilaration of battling with the blade was intoxicating to Raniero, and his newfound hobby became a staple of his lifestyle.

027-DuelistLifestyle.jpg

His aggressive side, as well as some of his more theological virtues, would also be taken by his son. As Agostino grew in age, he came under the official tutelage of his father, whose primary goal in life was to groom the young boy to take over the County Seat. The young Agostino showed himself to have a taste for the blade, just as his father -- as evidenced when he killed several large rats skulking through the castle dungeons.

029-ViolentAgostino.jpg

As he grew, not only did Agostino appear to be a brave young boy, but he displayed a strong virtue of patience to temper his aggression, temperance to keep him from over-indulging in his passions, and a respected sense of honesty that made his father proud.

As the middle of the 1080's approached, Raniero found himself the proud father of five children, four of whom still lived, including his prized son.

034-FiveKids.jpg

But as his children grew, a new challenge would soon present itself -- arranging suitable marriages for these young di Ruggieros.

Lots of civil war going on.. But apparently the Kings are pretty darn good at putting down their rebellions! This was one of the features I read about that really made me want to play CK2+, and it seems those uprisings can really have teeth! Still, they both got shut down utterly.. Would have been interesting to see France, in particular, splintered into its duchies.

But anyway... Feel free to chime in with suggestions, feedback, or pie! It's always good to hear from the people who are reading through your AAR :)

June 1085 - December 1094
Orvieto on Offense

Angelo's Army

Angelo di Amelia had little left to accomplish in his life. At the age of 55 in a time when old age was not often the norm, he knew he was headed for his twilight years. He could already feel that he’d lost a step from his youth; his body was beginning to show the weakness of age. Still, however, he trained hard and often -- his body was still stronger than many, and his skill with a blade remained deadly.

Angelo and his Count were both aging, and had been together since the start of Raniero’s rule in Orvieto. For nearly 25 years, Angelo had served as Marshall of Orvieto and overseen the training of the local levies. Now, finally, he had the opportunity to lead the troops of his liege on the battlefield. As he rode past the formations of heavy infantry from Raniero’s personal levies, supported by meager amounts of light infantry and archers drawn from the local forces, he felt a rush of satisfaction, knowing that it was he who had ensured their readiness for today's engagement.

The journey to the battlefield had taken them through Rome, where they had stopped to receive a Papal blessing before continuing southward, and toward their goal, Napoli. The County of Napoli was ruled by an independent Greek Orthodox Count, Ioannes Spartenos, who would be their opponent that day.

036-CountIoannes.jpg

Ioannes was a young man of only 21 years, who had recently inherited the County from his father, Sergios, and presently had only a young daughter as a future heiress. Amedeo, who had been away from the city of Terni on his mission, had managed to fabricate a series of connections and documents that gave Raniero a manageable claim on the County. Aging and seeking to make a visible mark on history before his death, Raniero had pressed the claims aggressively -- and thus, Angelo found himself standing across from another army, both forces just under 500 men strong, ready to do battle as they met near the city of Teano in Capua.

Commanding the flank to Angelo's right was Adriano di Grosseto, a very intelligent man and a talented soldier, just a few years younger than Angelo at 52. More importantly, perhaps, Adriano was the husband of Count Raniero’s first daughter, the 22 year-old Lucia di Ruggiero, with whom he had already had a son. It always struck him as odd that Lucia had been married to such a vastly older man, but clearly Count Raniero saw virtues in him that he wanted for his daughter and grandchildren. On the battlefield, Adriano was a more talented soldier than Angelo, but seniority demanded that he command the secondary flank. Finally, on the weakest flank to his left was Barnaba di Narni, the often troublesome knight who Raniero’s mercy had allowed to stay at Court even after he impregnated one of his courtiers out of wedlock. Perhaps the Count was secretly hoping that he might fall in battle, or maybe he just thought a third leader would help their chances.

After a rousing speech, Angelo drew his sword and gestured toward the opposing battle line, signalling the march. The enemy army was led by Count Ioannes himself, supported by only a single flank which was led by the Orthodox Bishop of Cumae. Angelo shook his head at the thought of a Bishop leading an army... Truly, he was facing a depraved lot.

The Greek soldiers were cautious, spending most of the battle attempting skirmish maneuvers and trying to keep the fight moving and unpredictable -- an intelligent move to attempt to counter the Orvietan numbers of heavy infantry. But with three martial specialists at the head of the army, the battle quickly turned in favor of Angelo and his men. The old Marshal himself refused to sit on the sidelines of the battle and joined his heavy infantry, hacking through soldiers with a hefty broadsword that a man his age had no business wielding. With sword and armor soaked in blood, Angelo cut and commanded his way to a decisive victory at Teano, giving way to a siege in Napoli proper.

The victory shattered most of Count Ioannes’ field army, leading to an extended siege of his various holdings until finally, in March of 1091, the short war ended with Napoli in the hands of Count Raniero.

038-WarResults.jpg

Rhodanthe's Rebellion

The transition would not be smooth, however. Greek Culture and the Orthodox faith were strongly ingrained in Napoli, and the invasion of an Italian Catholic Count was not well received. Seeking to rectify this as quickly as possible, Raniero immediately deposed the standing Orthodox Bishop of Cumae, and installed a Catholic Bishop in his place. To aid in the conversion process, he also recalled Bishop Callisto, who spent most of his time in Rome trying to gain the Pope’s favor, and sent him to Napoli on a mission of conversion.

The process was not without its hiccups. In particular, the death of Ioannes, who remained the Baron of Sorrento in Napoli, left his ten-year-old daughter, Rhodanthe, as the nominal Baroness of Sorrento. Siezing the opportunity, Raniero formally revoked her title, which led the young child and her caretakers to rise in rebellion. The rebellion was crushed swiftly, though, and the young Rhodanthe found herself stripped of her title and imprisoned in Orvieto. The jailing of a child was not a particularly popular action, and the aging Count found several people beginning to acknowledge his tendencies of cruelty toward his enemies. Still, with the Barony now under his direct control, he was able to largely pacify the province.

040-Rhodanthe.jpg

Gregory's Greed

The conquest of Napoli seemed likely to be the only significant military action of Raniero’s life, as the Count was well into his fifties when that conflict was completed. And while it was true that Raniero would not initiate another war before his death, his liege had other plans. To the north of Rome was the region of Spoleto, ruled by Matilda, Duchess of Tuscany. Seeing that she was weakened and preoccupied with a militant uprising against the Holy Roman Empire, Pope Gregory VII declared his own war against the Duchess, seeking to press his de iure claim over Spoleto.

041-PapalInvasionofTuscany.jpg

The Pope did not summon Orvieto’s levies, trusting his own 800-strong army to do the job. But Raniero, his zeal only increasing in his old age, refused to sit back and watch the Holy Father fight alone. He issued a call to arms, raising an army of just over 400 men, which he personally commanded along with his trusted Marshal Angelo di Amelia, and marched alongside Gregory’s army to support him.

Raniero, knowing his age and that his holdings were in good hands with Agostino, rode out to command his armies personally from the field. Although his infirmity made it impossible for him to actually participate in combat, he maintained direct command over the battles while his long-time friend and Marshal, Angelo di Amelia, commanded the troops from the front. Near the town of Perugia in Spoleto, the largest of Duchess Matilda’s armies assaulted the combined armies of Gregory and Raniero, with each side fielding armies of approximately a thousand men. With the defensive advantage, and the skilled commanding of their officers, the Papal armies emerged victorious by a dramatic margin -- Raniero’s first engagement on a battlefield was a victory.

But it was a pyrrhic victory, as it cost a steep price: the life of Angelo di Amelia. After nearly thirty years of service to his Count, Angelo met his end when his body, struggling to keep up in its age, was unable to parry a sword that pierced him through the neck and ended his long life of service.

The victory inspired Raniero, and the loss of one of his closet friends spurred him on to pursue victory with greater resolve. When it seemed that the larger armies of the Duchess might push back the Pope’s forces, Raniero expended most of what gold was left in the coffers to hire Beregan and his German Band, bringing an additional 500 mercenary troops onto the battlefield.

044-GermanBand.jpg

Joining those troops with his personal levies, Raniero split from Gregory’s army to attack on a different front, forcing Matilda to try to halt two advances at once, all the while dealing with the Holy Roman Empire. This strategic move proved a decisive one, as Raniero’s combined forces crushed a small detachment of Tuscan troops, and the Pope’s army pressed northward to lay additional sieges.

043-SplitTroops.jpg

Ultimately breaking under the pressure, Matilda accepted defeat and handed Spoleto over to Gregory in December of 1094. With the conclusion of the war, the County of Orvieto now had two notable military victories under its belt -- but age was quickly creeping further and further on Raniero, and his days were increasingly limited.

Alliteration, because I can!

Finally got some military action into the mix, though I wasn't expecting Gregory's invasion.. Maybe the Pope didn't want to fall behind his vassal in territory? Working with such a small realm is tough -- if I hadn't spent the cash on those mercenaries, I'm sure that war would have gone south, since the Duchess of Tuscany still had some decent armies floating around.

And I'm kind of closetly hoping that the HRE disintegrates one of these days ;)

December 1094 - January 1109
Raniero's Only Son

Personal Journals of Agostino di Ruggiero - December 1, 1095

It was only a short time ago that, on the 25th of November, my dear Lord Father left his castle to join the court of the Lord. I had already served as his regent for several months, when old age and infirmity reduced him to a confused and delusional state that made him completely incapable of ruling his land. Those final months were a rapid decline, and after only a few more months, the winter finally claimed his infirm life. Now, at the age of 22, I find myself in his place.

051-RanierosDeathNov1095.jpg

My father had cultivated close relationships with his most important and trusted vassals and courtiers. Callisto, the Bishop of Narni, had been the pastor of his Bishopric since my father had taken power, and the two shared a very close friendship, not the least due to my father's overwhealmingly zealous attitude. The eulogy at his funeral Mass had been a glowing recounting of all of my father's most endearing qualities -- his ardent devotion to the Church, his love for his lowborn wife, the degree to which he cherished his children, and the contributions he made to the Papal realms. What had been a small, relatively poor county in 1066 had grown to a two-county holding in which my late father had built many improvements, and his military feats battling against Count Ioannes and Duchess Matilda were praised lavishly.

Now, however, my father is laid to rest beneath the earth, and the full weight of governance is now upon my shoulders. My council remains staffed by many of my father's own appointments, men who grew old alongside him and are rapidly nearing the ends of their own lives. It will cause something of a stir, but I intend to seek out talented, young servants, and appoint them to my council to bring about a new perspective. I will not be tied to my father's advisors -- I must form my own council for my own rule. Bishop Callisto, in particular, has cautioned me against this, but he stands to lose much after spending over thirty years as my father's Court Chaplain. The Bishop, in fact, is one of the few among my father's servants to hold me in friendly regard; I find that many of the older courtiers and vassals have a rather unfavorable disposition toward me -- perhaps my short reign raises questions, or the fact that I have not yet raised the perception of my prestige among them. But soon, it will not matter -- within the year I should have my new council in place and ready to take Orvieto forward into the new century.

Personal Journals of Agostino di Ruggiero - July 17, 1104

My path to the present state of affairs has not been an easy one. The early years of my reign proved difficult, with nearly all of my vassals looking down upon me as inferior to my father. The stress of their disapproval vexed me continually -- even my attempts to establish my prestige failed in my face, as when I called a Great Hunt, hoping to echo my father's own martial prowess when he single-handedly killed a bear with a spear. My own hunting skills proved laughable next to his, and ended up hurting my reputation more than anything. Things finally changed, however, when the aging Holy Father, Pope Gregory, appointed me as his personal steward. When he passed on, his successor, Pope Nicholas III, gave me the honor of serving as the Papal Chancellor. My wife, Elena di Amelia, bore me three beautiful children -- my elder daughter, Celia, my only son, Domenico, who miraculously survived a spell of pneumonia, and my youngest daughter, Alessa.

The greatest development of the past years, however, has been the maneuvering of my self-appointed Chancellor -- Aldobrandino di Amelia, the son of my father's long-trusted Marshal, Angelo di Amelia, and the husband of my father's most favored daughter, Regina. Thanks to my father's capture of Napoli, we now control half of the de iure Duchy of Capua, with the County of Capua itself currently under the rule of Doge Antonino I, leader of the Republic of Genoa. Though it has cost me a substantial sum of gold, I have claimed the title, Duke of Capua, for myself.

047-DukeofCapua.jpg

I have not, as yet, pressed the claims against the Doge as a pretext for war. The Republic of Genoa is a larger realm than ours, encompassing four Counties relative to our two -- before I challenge this larger foe, I will need to save up the resources to call upon the aid of mercenary units to bolster our forces. But I vow that, before long, I will be called the true Duke of Capua.

The Capuan - Genoese De Jure War Over Capua

Although he had laid claim to the title several years previously, Agostino di Ruggiero did not immediately seek to capture the County of Capua, for fear that the Doge's larger realm would overtake him with its ability to raise a superior number of levies. The combined armies of Agostino's lands did not even reach a full 1,000, so the young self-styled Duke needed the aid of reinforcements if he was to mount a successful campaign against Capua's Genoese rulers.

Sure enough, the declaration of war brought a large army from Genoa, far superior in number to Agostino's own forces. As a sizeable army approached from the north, Agostino bought the aid of Condottiere Alessio di Padua and his Company of the Rose, whose 1,000 troops stood alongside Agostino's levies in the largest battle of the war, a decisive victory at the Orvietan city of Terni that cut an army of nearly 1,500 Genoese soldiers down to just over 800. Those remnants were pursued by Agostino and Alessio, and their army caught them outside of Rome, where a second battle ensued that inflicted even heavier casualties than the first.

048-BattleofTerni61105.jpg
049-BattleofRome71105.jpg

Those two victories decimated the Doge's army to the point that he was no longer able to mount any serious resistance. One by one, the holdings in Capua fell, and before long, in October of 1105, the Doge personally reached out to Agostino to offer his terms of surrender, handing over Capua and ending the hostilities after seven months of war. The end result was that Agostino could now truly call himself the Duke of Capua, and accordingly moved his capitol into the newly conquered land.

052-VictoryOverCapua.jpg

It was by this conquest that Agostino succeeded, within the first ten years of his reign, in elevating himself to the level of Duke -- a feat that his father, though highly esteemed, had never reached. And still just barely into his thirties, the young Duke of Capua still had many opportunities lying ahead of him.

This update brings me to a question -- with my title as Duke of Capua, my capitol is in Capua now -- but the local capitol of Capua is a city, so it's yelling at me that my noble character is the wrong leader type, which means it kills my tax income. Capua has a barony-type holding inside it -- is it possible to change the local capitol to get that penalty removed?

This update brings me to a question -- with my title as Duke of Capua, my capitol is in Capua now -- but the local capitol of Capua is a city, so it's yelling at me that my noble character is the wrong leader type, which means it kills my tax income. Capua has a barony-type holding inside it -- is it possible to change the local capitol to get that penalty removed?

Unfortunately, you might have run into an issue here since you already made the county your capital. See this thread for instructions on how to change the capital of a province. However, that would mean giving your capital county to another. There might be some way around it that I don't know.

I love this AAR. You're doing well for the di Ruggieros and your writing is interesting. You also have continued to post despite few people encouraging you, which is something I could never do, so I figured I'd drop in and give you my respect and my subscription. Good luck!