• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kurblius

General
31 Badges
Feb 23, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
Objective: Survive as Navarre for the first 3 years of the game without being vassilized.

Starting Conditions:
- EU3 5.1 vanilla
- Grand Campaign (Oct 14th, 1399) start date
- AI Aragon has "Vassilize Navarre" as initial mission (It will have this mission 99% of the time)
- All other conditions set at default
- No reloads!

I've found one way to do this, but it still relies too much on luck for my liking. I'll post my method shortly, but I want to see if anyone could think up a better way first. Aragon should attack you within the first week. How you manage to survive this initial attack such that you can peace out without being vassilized is what I'm interested in. Ideally your strategy should be duplicable (else I'm just gonna say you were lucky or you'd modded the settings ;))

Last edited:
I'd imagine the key relies with a lucky alliance with even a medium-sized power, or in the case of going it alone, moving your 1k army into Aragon, the AI ignoring it and choosing to siege your lone province instead, and you managing to roll down the siege timer on their province faster than they can on yours, and squeezing a white peace out of the situation that follows.

All in all, I'd imagine it'd take a lot of reloading / luck.

Yeah I do it like Guyfawkes says, but in a more complicated way because Aragon never ignores my seige of their provinces. They will send a few troops to wipe me out. I find I got to start a war with another country.

This is the way I do it:

Before the game starts I do the following actions:
1.) I start with 4 diplomats. I send 2 diplomats to make alliances with 4 province Bavaria and Luxembourg (who's in a personal union with 4 province Brandenburg). Probability is "Very likely".
2.) I use my 3rd diplomat to request military access from England.
3.) Use my first slider move to move one step towards "Defensive". I need all the help I can get!
4.) Move my 1 cog into the adjacent sea zone.
5.) Raise 1 mercenary (infantry) unit.
6.) Make my King a general. Pray for a general with at least 1 siege star. If I get 2 stars, I'm golden. I make him the leader of my 1 infantry unit.

Then, I start the game. I load my infantry into the cog and send him in the direction of Ireland. Usually England will immediately declare war on an Irish minor. I move my cog adjacent to that minor, declare war on it with my last diplomat (taking the Stability hit), and begin seiging it. If England doesn't declare on an Irish OPM, I chose a random Irish OPM and attack it. However, my chance of success in my overall strategy decreases dramatically if this happens because I got to waste precious time fighting the Irish OPM's army first.

Meanwhile, Aragon would have declared war on me. As soon as my mercenary is raised, I send him to the adjacent English province. This is essential to prevent Aragon and his allies from simply storming Navarre.

Now if I manage to win the seige of the Irish OPM before Aragon wins his seige of Navarre, I'm GUARANTEED to eventually get a favourable peace offer from Aragon. They usually just ask for all my money. Note: I don't peace out with the Irish minor until I get the peace offer from Aragon. Otherwise I just get annexed/vassilized immediately.

Like I said previously though, this still depends too much on luck. I want to know if anyone's got a better way.

Last edited: