• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tufto

Orientalist boondoggle
102 Badges
Oct 16, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
For some time now I've been wanting to play a game successfully as Judea, possibly as an AAR game. However, every time I try to play as it, I get annexed by Egypt within a couple of months.

Does anybody have any tips on playing as Judea? When is the optimum time to begin the game? What are possible ways to stop Egyptian/Seleucid annexation?

Thanks.

Judea in Rome is a bit like Ryuku in EU3, you're pinned down between two maniacs who want to take your (useless) piece of land.

The only way I can think of surviving would be what they do with Ryuku, attack and try to annex another OPM as soon as you can (DoW Rhodes or other greek minors), then build more troops and attack the next one and so on until you have enough land to give away to the blobs when they inevitably attack you and most likely win.
The trouble here is that all Greeks have everything except the religious bonus going better than you do so annexing one might be a real trouble.

Judea is pretty much doomed

Well the best start I have seen would be the first Emperor bookmark. The northern neighbour is an ally and involved in a civil war and Egypt is also busy with that very war so only Nabatea will cause trouble. Unfortunately that start always crashes with the latest beta, and if you don't have the beta so actually can start it is still extremely late in the game so there is not really any time to actually accomplish anything before the game ends. You could use a mod, don't know (since I have not tried playing Judea in them) wether or not it is any easier in most other mods, but they are certainly easier in my mod as long as you start just after they get Samaria and have two provinces (Nabatea can actually be somewhat friendly, Seleucids busy with a civil war and while Egypt may attack they can be held off with some effort), but not everyone likes mods (let alone any specific mod).

While I consider myself relatively skilled player, my own attempts as Judea have ended to quick annexation. Unfortunately none of the AI empires want to accept my tribute, with other small states you can usually find someone who wants to protect you if they get your gold, but everyone seems to hate the Judeans.

Judea in Rome is a bit like Ryuku in EU3, you're pinned down between two maniacs who want to take your (useless) piece of land.

The only way I can think of surviving would be what they do with Ryuku, attack and try to annex another OPM as soon as you can (DoW Rhodes or other greek minors), then build more troops and attack the next one and so on until you have enough land to give away to the blobs when they inevitably attack you and most likely win.
The trouble here is that all Greeks have everything except the religious bonus going better than you do so annexing one might be a real trouble.

You have to find someone first who is willing to trade you wood, otherwise you can't build ships. Good luck building ships and soldiers before Egypt decides to destroy you.

While I consider myself relatively skilled player, my own attempts as Judea have ended to quick annexation. Unfortunately none of the AI empires want to accept my tribute, with other small states you can usually find someone who wants to protect you if they get your gold, but everyone seems to hate the Judeans.

You have to find someone first who is willing to trade you wood, otherwise you can't build ships. Good luck building ships and soldiers before Egypt decides to destroy you.

Oww, that I didn't think of, wood may be a little hard to come by.. And it's true that in Rome being from unpopular religion or culture makes whole diplomacy screen useless as nobody accepts anything else but declarations of war and possibly peace proposals...

Oww, that I didn't think of, wood may be a little hard to come by.. And it's true that in Rome being from unpopular religion or culture makes whole diplomacy screen useless as nobody accepts anything else but declarations of war and possibly peace proposals...

My personal view is that in Rome culture and religion penalties for relations are too severe and practically make diplomacy useless. Greeks and Gauls are only culture groups which have enough nations for meaningful diplomacy with other nations, which aren't your tributaries, unless you spend huge amount of money to make them even somewhat friendly.

My personal view is that in Rome culture and religion penalties for relations are too severe and practically make diplomacy useless. Greeks and Gauls are only culture groups which have enough nations for meaningful diplomacy with other nations, which aren't your tributaries, unless you spend huge amount of money to make them even somewhat friendly.
I couldn't agree more. Assigning relations based purely off culture and religion is a lazy solution, IMHO; it works if you want to set that as the "default" relationship level, but I think there needs to be code in the history files that allows you to pre-set relationships between specific countries.