• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Started as a Kurdish Count to the Seljuks in 1066. I usurped an Emirate, stayed loyal to the Sultan, and began gobbling up independent counties every few years when a succession crisis hit. In a big civil war I finally turned on the Sultan and broke free. Within 20 years was talking chunks out of the Sultanate. At the end of my third ruler's life I got bold and launched an invasion of Persia. With my warscore at 90% against the Seljuks the ERE and a large kingdom of Georgia declared holy war on me. I split my armies to counter both threats and my Emir, with a 15 diplomacy, 21 martial and 19 stewardship, was killed in battle with the Emperor of ERE. My fourth ruler defeated the Seljuks and took all of Persia to the side of the map, but lost three counties to the evil ERE. I became a super-duke (or Emir) with a holding larger than most kingdoms. The remaining Seljuks revolted and left the Sultan (and Sunni Caliph) with one county, which the Fatimids (in control of everything to the East of Tunisia to Jerusalem and all South of that) quickly gobbled up. So only about six months after taking power and gaining a massive amount of land (and losing some too) my Emir had the choice to create both a sultanate and the caliphate. Also, I had lots of free land to give to my deadbeat relatives, bringing my Decadence down to the high 30's. I used my new title to declare a Jihad against the ERE and took all of Armenia! My father-in-law, the Shiite Caliph and the Sultan of Fatimid then declared war on me before my troops could even complete a triumphant return to their own land. They are currently kicking my teeth in.

playing an interesting Kingdom of Ireland game at the moment. It took 96 years of slow, non-gamey takeovers to be able to create the Irish kingdom as the duke of Munster. My current character has had two wives murdured (sisters) over the double county rule of Oriel/Glamorgan and then settled with the countess of Tyrone as the 3rd wife, who also ended up inheriting Penthierve (sp?) in Brittany.

Elsewhere, England has been in flames for 100 years since William the Bastard's victory. I ended up holywarring and acquiring the duchy of somerset after the duke became a fraticellian, saving the Catholic populace from heresy. To the west in Cornwall reign the last Basque family to rule Navarro after they were ousted by the islamic onslaught, inheriting Cornwall just before Navarro succumbed. The southeast has become a province of Provence after the saxon duke there caught the Catharian disease and was inevitably holywarred. So sth England is just about not english, whilst the rest of England has burned and Scotland chipped away at it, taking York, half of Wales and another county or two. I might eventually try request an invasion from the Pope to finally bring some peace to the people, unless Scotland do it first.
They've been pretty stable, but the last 3 Scottish kings have had just one son before dying, which left a depleted line of succession. I married my sister off to a lonely 3rd or 4th cousin of the king who was 2nd in line for the throne! See how that goes...

France is a bit of a patchwork quilt as well, with the Duchy of Berry rivalling France itself in size. Problem is the muslims are creeping up both coasts from the south and the division will lead to their demise. the French king asked for my eldest daughter's hand just as I was contemplating establishing an alliance with him, so I gladly accepted. Looking forward to the new Irish/French connection.

The AI had a moment of genius in what I'm calling the 'great Scandanavian war'. Norway looked to be a pillar of strength, until the ambitious duchess of Vestaland (sp?) decided she wants independence. Then the Danish king pushed some claim for the Norweigan crown too. Upon closer inspection, I realised the duchess had married the danish king! But then the new king of Norway (old one got popped off by another rebelling duke) became an adult, married a princess of Sweden and it was Nor/Swe vs Nor2/Den, with a an Icelandic count seeking independence thrown in the mix too. Went on for decades, then it white peaced.

Also, Jerusalem Crusade was successful, but is now a hotbed of heresy under HRE control. This hasnt stopped the muslims conquering sicily though and I'm expecting a Papal crusade call for it. Whilst Hungary seems to be falling apart with rebellions and Croatian king pushing his wife's claim for the throne.
Fun game!

Still on 1.05g, but just about finished with my second game (don't like abandoning a game in the middle just to patch), it's 1442. Playing as Ua Briain Ireland, the highlights so far are:

- France hasn't existed for like >250 years, inherited by Brittany way early in the game;
- Byzantium is entirely Monophysite and the last bastion of Orthodoxy is Rus, capitalled in Kiev;
- the Golden Horde is down to one *barony* in France and a vassal count somewhere in the East, crushed in between Rus, the Timurids, and the ERE;
- Poland is basically done, down to about 7 counties with three wars (claim on Poland, claim war, de jure claim war for Krakow), mostly swallowed up by Sweden (last time I checked the Swedish King was Polish);
- there's not a single Muslim ruler left on the northern side of the Mediterranean;
- Hungary is no more, taken over by the Golden Horde and then won in a Crusade by the Knights Hospitalier;
- Sicily is ruled by Ua Briains (won by crusade and then given independence when I was left via an illness death with a 1-year-old King, and played far enough ahead to see that everyone was going to rebel);
- England, after about 200 years of near-constant war due to AI foolishness at keeping the succession Agnatic Seniority, is now one well-timed assassination from having an Ua Briain king, literally coming in the very last year that the king's wife (wed matrilinearlly of course) could've had a kid (45);
- not much else, except that the Pope is I think 0-for-4 in Crusades for Jerusalem

Not sure what I'll do for my first game in 1.06, not even sure I'll get SoI but thinking about it.

Sultan Muhammad II of Andalucia. My character ruled for decades, rose from being the mere Emir of Seville to being the unifying force behind Al-Andalus, as well as being the Caliph. Alongside him was his close friend, the Emir of Badajoz. Sadly the end of his reign was a tragedy, as Badajoz died, his son revolted and killed my beloved genius heir in battle. :(

Started as HRE with a custom ruler. He's an excommunicated, cruel, decietful, wroth and proud impaler but with great martial ability. I've spent his entire reign in rebellion after rebellion. I keep losing, then restarting from scratch to see how long I can last. Marvelous fun. At one stage I'd landed all my male dynastic relatives with the titles I'd revoked.

About 50 years into a new Rurikovich game (where I modded all the Russian kingdoms into one, to make things a bit harder) where the house rules are to never attack a family member, never assassinate family members who aren't kin-slayers, to never move against the ERE, to stay with Gavelkind all the way and finally to not give Bishoprics to more than one son per generation. >_< (and no, I wasn't the one as set these horrid demands.)

It's been... interesting so far. *cough*

The first ruler managed to not have more than one son, but the guy after had 5. So there went most of my gains. Luckily, two of my brothers went and died in war before having kids, so I'm back at four Duchies and about half the turf needed to form the Kingdom of Rus. But I've got three sons at the moment, and unless one of them dies most foruitously, that'll set me back to a mere 12 Counties. And since the Cumans are ... HUGE, I've got problems expanding that way. Creating Finland or Lithuania seems like cheating too.

Playing as Sultan of Mauritania and created the Sultanate of Mali. The Abbadid dynasty isn't doing to bad either.

JN9Mi.jpg

The Muslims, in general, aren't doing too bad lol

Yes, that is Norway in the middle of the HRE and currently fighting a rebellion from a 2-county duke.

This is my first Crusader Kings II longstanding game. I started as Ramon Berenguer or Barcelona, assassinated a vassal to inherit a castle from him so that I can expand it later. Conquered three Muslim province near-by trough holly wars, took Zaragoza from Castillians trough a fabricated claim and now I wait Aragon to end his wars so that I can usurp it. Reached 1000 piety, loved by all vassals, amass a wealth of 500 and have the castles upgraded (yes, I'm playing very easy mode here, since it's my first Paradox game that I don't intend to quit soon), secured alliances by marrying offsprings with princesses of France and Britain. Ramon finally died around 70s, his son took over at 50 years old without a heir, just a few daughters. Luckily, my wive died just in time, so I married a younger one and now we have a 1 year old son they we love a lot.

I plan to take over Aragon and then start the wars with the Muslims for an expansion in the south of the peninsula.

This is the first time when playing a Paradox game and having a feeling that I finally got it, I finally know what I'm doing in the game and can actually enjoy it. Took me a while.

I'm reforming the Roman Empire slowly but surely.

855C6405A204505D30EBA25D4F85188ED570D12C

Been playing some time as Kings of Sicily or rather the D'Hauteville dynasty as I'm trying to put as many D'Hautevilles on thrones as possible.
It's 1224 now and this being my first game I managed it quite well.

Besides Sicily I managed to form the Kingdom of Jerusalem during the Second Crusade for it. Gave it away to one of my relatives, as I didn't want to put up with endless muslim invasions. I've got enough of those in Sicily already. The last Queen of Jerusalem is currently confined to Jaffa and about to be pushed into the Sea for good.

Through sheer luck some cadet branch landed the Kingdom of Scotland by getting a lucky break and marrying the right Duchess at the right time. Now the last King is out of male heirs and is female heir is already married to a de Crenouille (sp?). Welsh Kings for Scotland it is.

Another D'Hauteville is the King of Croatia, which I set up with a matrilineal marriage to some Piast princess. The Piasts have gone crazy in my game and had united the Crowns of Denmark, Poland and Croatia. I too the latter from them and now the Kingdom of Croatia is spread all over the place. Main holdings include the Duchy of Prussia.

My last project is to become King of France. I'm well prepared, as my current rule is also Duke of Aquitaine, because his father married a French Duchess. Supporting her claim I had her up to Queen once but she got deposed by another relative. Now my next move is the Duchess of Orleans, Anjou and another one I'm forgetting right now. Through Gavelkind successions all three of my sons are bound to inherit them. So with four Duchies under D'Hauteville control this should be easy. So I'm basically just waiting for my wife to die and my sons to inherit everything!

Started as the count of Gloucester (with two counties), initially William loved me & gave me another county. It was a race to create the Duchy of Gloucester before the King, which I won (he made quite a few instead of that one). He got progressively irritating after that, raising his tyranny and prompting multiple revolts. Most I quickly raised my troops to sit out. I started to gobble up Wales, during this phase. Then fed up with it all, I joined a rebellion to depose the king, and won (his forces were too depleted and too many individual rebellions were going).

Things started fine with the new king, and I quietly went about collecting most of the rest of Wales. But then the new king became another tyrant, and a new cycle of rebellions began, and other dukes kept trying to invite me. I kept out of it until events seemed to be suitably chaotic and started my own independance war - mercenaries helped me buy a win and a split from England.

The last of Wales was absorbed into my holding, and I started whittling at southern Ireland. The upstart English Duke of Hereford tried to DoW and cause trouble but I beat him off, and then when I saw another age of chaos starting in England I gobbled up Hereford (pressed a claim for a countess in Powys and then usurped the duchy and de jure captured the two Hereford counties left unprotected as the duke's personal demesne was off in Kent).

So now sitting as Duke of Gloucester, Hereford, Dyfed, the other wales duchy (Gwynedd? drawing a blank), & Munster. I also control part of Oxford, with marriage alliance to Scotland. I will continue swallowing Ireland and it shouldn't be long now before I can line up a run at more of England. If things continue at this pace, my third generation should hold the crown of England with a shot at Britannia.

I started an Irish campaign recently and now the years is 1281 and Ive almost got all of England. Scotland, Wales, and the Orkney Isles fell early and quickly. Not really planning on expanding much, may do an invasion of Norway though. Interestingly I established a very powerful Kingdom of Galicia under my half brother which has now taken most of Spain and all of Maurentania.

BTW, StephenT great post :D

Just started as William the Conquere. Won England from the Urserper Harold, and have expanded my Norman holding to include Anjou and Flanders, and have taken Lisboa in a holey war. Joined the first Crusade so I could push up my Piety (wanted, in vein, an invasion CB on Scotland) only to end up as the King of the HolyLands.

Bugger.

The egyptians declared war to reclaim the Holylands, which I was pretty much willing to let them have. I called HRE to join the fight, but never sent any troops myself. THe HRE beat back the muslims, and I'm waiting for William to die, as the King of Jerusalum, England, northern France, and South Portugal.

.....and THAT is why he's called the conquerer.

And now, we can que his death, and the revold of every vassel I have splits their support for the 6 male heirs I have....

Shahanshah of Persia

03D07ADEA272068FB1352E86DA293FC3168D3D25