• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(522926)

Corporal
5 Badges
Jul 13, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Pillars of Eternity
The Legend is Back
"Show me a smile on your silly face, because I'm getting tired of this human race..."

This is my first AAR and also my first post on these forums. I'd love to get some feedback from you nice people and also maybe some suggestions, as I seek to improve my story telling. I hope you won't get bored with my AAR, as I enjoy writing. This will be an alternate history AAR, in which Lithuania - surrounded by Germany and the USSR is struggling to survive and thrive against all odds. A cry to the nationals and the patriots of the nation is the only hope for Lithuania. I hope to express what I felt while playing as this nation in my writing while just showing screenshots of what I'm doing, what tech I'm researching etc. So I'll try and combine story telling with gameplay. Above all else I'm just a simple gamer with a liking for history, so please excuse any cliches. We'll be starting in 1936.

Last edited:
The Current State Of The Nation

Currently, Lithuania is lodged between Germany, Poland and the USSR. This is not a favorable place to be in for such a small and weak nation.
8746883.jpg

Our resources and manpower are low and the situation looks quite bleak. We have time before the war, time that cannot be wasted.

President Smetona calls a rally of the troops and people. Everyone must come, for this speech will change the course of the nation forever.
U0068323.jpg

"My fellow Lithuanians! I hope you are enjoying the freedoms you currently have. The times we are in are very bleak. The occupation we suffered not long ago from our Russian oppressors will continue once more if we do nothing. We are currently in a state of neutral limbo along with the other Baltic States. This will not last. The monster that is the USSR will swallow us, if not before Poland or Germany. Lithuania is weak, too weak to even hope of fighting a lasting defensive, let alone offensive war against the Soviets. However! The Baltic States, once united, MAY have a chance! This will not happen without our intervention. We are squabbling like pests with one another. Nothing will be resolved, nothing unified, nothing gained and everything lost. WE must be the nation that unites. If the Baltic States are not to be united by us, all is lost. If we are not ready for war in three years, all is lost.

img476.jpg

My fellow Lithuanians! I call out to you! This current generation of us HAS to be the one that preserves Lithuania and makes it a stronger power! For we are made not to live in this generation - only to fight. Do you wish to be oppressed once again? Do you want your language suppressed once more? NO! We must do anything, ANYTHING to unite the Baltic Nations! We do not have a large army, or a lot of weaponry. But we can have the most lethal weapon a nation can posses - determination. And, if we unite the Baltics, we will be able to use the combined economical power to defend ourselves! Are you willing to do this for our nation?! Do you want to save us from total destruction by using destructive forces, even when we have so little of them, to fight for freedom?! Every male so-forth that is capable of holding and using a firearm or any sort of weapon, will be used in our unification! If you agree, my Lithuanians, then fight! Fight for glory and independence my people! This offensive of ours won't and cannot be long! The nation cannot sustain prolonged war! If you understand, then let us finish this unification as fast as possible!"
By being truthful to them, Smetona hopes to rally the nation to it's fullest. It works.

8747588.jpg

The masses agree. They agree, because that is all they can do, knowing the current situation, ignoring the nagging voice in the back of their heads, that this is a contradicting task.

The Lithuanian forces are sent to the Latvian border along Jelgava and Bauska.

8747465.jpg

It is starting...

I'll update this tomorrow, sadly I don't have time left to update much today.

Last edited:
Very interesting idea; I assume you've seen mnplastic's AAR? If you haven't, you ought to take a look.

Yes, I'll be sure to do that. I assume that you saw the original "test" version of my reply I posted, it's been updated a couple of minutes ago. Please tell me if this writing style is something suitable.

I bet the Poles won't be very happy to see a resurgent Lithuania! If my memory serves correctly, there was a good deal of animosity between Poland and Lithuania in the OTL. Do you have any cores in Poland? Or vice versa? I'll be curious to see how you handle them. Very interesting Zeroxxl3000, I'll be following.

The Lighting Fast War

War is declared upon Latvia and at the same time every single troop we can spare is attacking. It goes smoothly, the Latvians didn't count on us attacking them and we take Jelgava and Bauska.
Ho_I3_13.jpg

The lighting war has started.

At the same time, we start making an infantry division and enact service by requirement.
Ho_I3_15.jpg

Ho_I3_17.jpg

Meanwhile, President Smetona and his advisers all discuss how the situation will go down with Poland and Germany. Smetona stands up from his chair and says:
"Do not worry about Germany. They will not mind us doing this. In fact, I think they'll even approach us with offers if we show enough strength. What I am concerned with is Poland. We still have not regained Wilno, our former capital. It is crucial we get it back. I do not care by what means we accomplish this. It must be done. If not, we won't have enough strength to face the USSR. Poland won't like a strong Lithuania, like in the old days. Let us show those fools."

Ho_I3_18.jpg

The lighting fast war tactic is showing amazing results. Riga is surrounded from three sides and the confused Latvian soldiers are desperately trying to break even one side of our surrounding armies.

They fail and the battle of Riga has started. Meanwhile as suspected by President Smetona, Poland cancels our trading agreement.
Ho_I3_20.jpg

Riga quickly falls and an army that has been sent to Daugavpilis quickly takes over the key remaining town. The confused and disheartened Latvians and their armies surrender.
Ho_I3_38.jpg

A great patriotic victory has been achieved!

Annexation quickly follows suit.
Ho_I3_40.jpg

Ho_I3_41.jpg

President Smetona arrives in Riga and gives a speech to both his own armies and the citizens of Latvia.
"My victorious Lithuanians! We have gotten one step closer to ensuring our independence! Latvians, do not fret. We have not destroyed anything that is vital to keep the country running. This annexation is for the good of both countries. Once the USSR backs away from us, you shall regain your independence. Lithuanians! You know the next step! Let us march forward!

Total economic mobilization is enacted because of our horrible industrial capacity and troops are moved to the Estonian border. War is declared upon Latvia and the limited Lithuanian air force is utilized.
Ho_I3_49.jpg

Ho_I3_50.jpg

The lighting war tactic has worked once more and we have advanced on three sides. Germany seems to like this and is once again trying to influence us.
Ho_I3_51.jpg

Lithuanian forces quickly advance as the slow-moving Estonian army falls back.
Ho_I3_52.jpg

It is not long before the first army reaches Tallinn. More territory is taken from Estonia.
Ho_I3_54.jpg

Ho_I3_59.jpg

Tallinn is taken along with another key province. Estonia falls and once more, annexation follows.
Ho_I3_64.jpg

Ho_I3_66.jpg

President Smetona arrives in Tallinn to give another speech.
"Lithuanians! We have achieved something incredible! The Baltic States are united as one! Both the Estonians and Latvians will regain their independence once we have defended ourselves against the beasts! For now, the lighting war has ended. We shall be taking a small break to ensure the unification of our nations is strong enough to be left on it's own. I promise you one more thing, Lithuanians! Wilno will be regained by us! I do not care if they hear of this or not! They know that Wilno is our most important province and city! It is not right for them to have it! So for now my troops, rest and regain your strength!"

War economy is enacted once more and the country is demobilized to regain it's strength.
Ho_I3_68.jpg

Ho_I3_69.jpg

Poland will know what it's like to lose it's capital... in time.

That's all for this update, I really hope you enjoyed reading this as I did playing.

Last edited:
Certainly a different start...I assume you've used noneutrality to attack them right off the bat?

The Experimental Wars

Now that the Baltic fronts are secured, all is quiet on the home front for while. The country, however, is in deficit of various resources. The combined power of the Baltic States would be enough to stage an effective defensive war against a potential aggressor, but it wouldn't last long. What is needed at the moment is the ability to get more industrial capacity and the improvement of our soldiers.
Ho_I3_75.jpg

President Smetona arranges another speech.
"My completely victorious Lithuanians, the unified Baltic States will be utilized to cover other fronts of the country, such as the lack of resources. But it won't effective for a long time. What is needed is more territory that has resources along with more economic power. You have gained experience in war that will be valuable, use it!"

More soldiers are needed. Mixed industry is enacted.
Ho_I3_76.jpg

Ho_I3_79.jpg

Smetona in a meeting with his commanders.
"The next three wars that will happen shall be an experiment for our limited army in utilizing experimental doctrines."

The soldiers that showed the most prowess are sent to Memel and loaded on board a vessel. War is declared upon Denmark and the troops are unloaded on the province of Esbjerg. Because of our limited navy this is all we can do at the moment. It seems they were not expecting an invasion from that province as is it not very suited for a large-scale invasion. Too bad it isn't large-scale.
Ho_I3_84.jpg

Ho_I3_85.jpg

Aallorg is secured because of it's port and we draw ever closer to Copenhagen.
Ho_I3_86.jpg

Ho_I3_87.jpg

President Smetona broadcasts a speech through to his army forces using a radio.
"My loyal soldiers. It seems our beliefs are similar to that of the German Reich. I am not guaranteeing anything, but things could arrange themselves so that we are allies one day. March forward with pride and precision."

Certain diplomatic steps are taken for the future. Meanwhile, Copenhagen is taken and more troops are unloaded onto it.
Ho_I3_89.jpg

Ho_I3_97.jpg

It is not long before the remaining core is taken and Denmark surrenders. Annexation follows and our economic power gains a boost.
Ho_I3_107.jpg

Ho_I3_108.jpg

President Smetona is overjoyed and announces to his soldiers:
"My unbeatable soldiers. This first war has taught me a couple of things. Firstly, our supply lines can become incredibly overstretched even though the two nations were connected by seas that are next to each other. We have no effective way to solve this just yet. However. You have once more proven that you are incredible soldiers. Our nation grows stronger by the month because of you. Let us make it even stronger. To Sweden!"

War is declared upon Sweden. The mass of soldiers unloaded previously is used for the Battle of Malmo.
Ho_I3_112.jpg

Ho_I3_113.jpg

It is quickly taken because of the light defenses of the Swedish army and the Battle of Horby ensues.
Ho_I3_114.jpg

All resistance is crushed and a rail-thin supply line is created. President Smetona to his generals:
"Let us see if this works. Our armies shall move with the speed of a thousand hurricanes and not let the enemy even a chance to defend it's vital cities. This can be incredibly dangerous, but also guarantee us a quick victory."
Ho_I3_115.jpg

Goteborg is taken along with Stockholm.
Ho_I3_122.jpg

Ho_I3_123.jpg

The Battle for Felun Begins and our armies quickly overpower the enemy.
Ho_I3_126.jpg

The enemy surrenders once it is taken and annexation follows, as always. Our economy gains a boost like before.
Ho_I3_128.jpg

Ho_I3_129.jpg

Smetona stands up from his chair and nods to his generals.
"So it is agreed. Norway will be next. Inform our soldiers. This next attack will be even more relentless."

War is declared on Norway.
Ho_I3_132.jpg

Our armies immediately break the borders and lunge for Oslo, taking the army by surprise and beating them back, occupying the city. Another army makes it's way to Narvik and takes it without any resistance.
Ho_I3_134.jpg

Ho_I3_137.jpg

They never stood a chance. Annexation follows, economy gains a boost.
Ho_I3_138.jpg

Ho_I3_140.jpg

President Smetona is orgasmic.
"My generals, soldiers and people. We have achieved incredible victories here and have shown just how deadly a small army can be! The invasion of a real nation will begin soon. For now, rest."
Ho_I3_142.jpg

I wonder if we'll get any fancy suits from this...

That's all for this for this update. I could actually update in a couple of hours again, though I doubt many people read this anyway so I'll likely just upload it tomorrow.

Last edited:
It'd be interesting to see what modifications you made. Obviously, neutrality must've been next to 0 for a start.

I wonder about Norway and Sweden. Their AI seemed to be unable to send their units southward to fend off the smaller enemy...