• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Testing The Waters

Smetona in a meeting with his generals:
"Hm, yes I think that could work. Start production on transports immediately and ask Germany if they would prepare some infantry units for us."

With our new found industrial capacity we start building some transports for the future and order some units from Germany.
Ho_I3_48.jpg

Ho_I3_52.jpg

Meanwhile, units are loaded aboard the current transport vessels and sent next to Portugal.
Ho_I3_54.jpg

Smetona to his troops:
"My people. It is time we became a true nation, with colonies in Africa and an industrial center. As such, I feel it necessary to invade Portugal. I feel it does not deserve something it cannot handle."
War is declared on Portugal.
Ho_I3_55.jpg

Sines is taken without resistance and an immediate trek begins towards Lisboa. A battle soon breaks out and our forces are crushing the resistance quite easily.
Ho_I3_57.jpg

Ho_I3_61.jpg

Lisboa is taken and a lunge for Porto begins.
Ho_I3_67.jpg

It is taken without resistance as Portugal's army cannot keep up. Meanwhile, once again a rail-thin supply line is created for heading towards Elvas.
Ho_I3_69.jpg

Ho_I3_85.jpg

Ho_I3_87.jpg

The two main armies are surrounded by us and both fights go well.
Ho_I3_101.jpg

Ho_I3_112.jpg

Meanwhile, we have gained some manpower and work on more infantry has begun. The battle of Santarem is won.
Ho_I3_115.jpg

Ho_I3_130.jpg

An interesting proposal comes from The Third Reich.
Ho_I3_134.jpg

Smetona to all of his populace:
"My people, generals and army. We have been invited to join the most powerful alliance because of our daring actions as of late. These nations are run by like-minded individuals and I feel this would strengthen our nation. As such, we shall accept the invitation. I hope everyone agrees to this action of mine."

Some of the infantry divisions are done and new ones are started. (I'll likely just skip showing you photos every time I get new infantry, rather I'll just show you my complete army most of the time. If you don't like this, please tell me.)
Ho_I3_157.jpg

Ho_I3_159.jpg

The remains of Portugal's army are trying to hold the lines, but are trapped once again by the Lithuanian army and are swiftly defeated.
Ho_I3_168.jpg

While the fights for the mainland were happening, the attack on the colonies began.
Ho_I3_175.jpg

Because South Africa was close and our dear President Smetona felt we needed more space in Africa, we decide to invade. A single transport vessel is brought near the shores of George.
Ho_I3_187.jpg

War is declared upon South Africa.
Ho_I3_189.jpg

George is taken with relative ease and the battle for Cape town begins. However, the fight is from two fronts. Our army handles it with ease.
Ho_I3_195.jpg

Another transport vessel invades Durban. There is resistance, but it is put down before any major harm is done.
Ho_I3_206.jpg

Ho_I3_207.jpg

Once Durban is taken, South Africa decides it has no choice but to give up to our superior army. It is annexed.
Ho_I3_221.jpg

Ho_I3_223.jpg

The remainder of Portugal's colonies are attacked. On the African front there isn't much resistance, however things were different on the islands of Aore.
Ho_I3_237.jpg

Ho_I3_250.jpg

Despite a somewhat difficult fight, victory is ours and the islands are occupied by us.
Ho_I3_254.jpg

Having lost it's mainland and most of it's colonies, Portugal surrenders. Annexation follows and our economy gains a boost.
Ho_I3_256.jpg

Ho_I3_257.jpg

Meanwhile, efforts are being made to further increase our industrial capacity.
Ho_I3_270.jpg

Smetona to his generals:

"These fights have taught me some valuable lessons. Firstly, having colonies is an incredible advantage for a government in exile, it means that we can continue existing and even thriving without our mainland. Secondly, because of this we need more territories in the ocean. I think I've found us a very good spot."

Testing The Waters Part 2

The construction of the transport vessels completed, they are used to full effect in the invasion of the Dominican Republic.
Ho_I3_272.jpg

War is declared on them and an excited Smetona is awaiting to see his new fleet doing it's job.
Ho_I3_273.jpg

The Battle of La Romana rages on, as our armies keep pushing forward towards the mainland.
Ho_I3_279.jpg

The Shores of La Romana are taken and immediately our troops are attacked by the reserve army.
Ho_I3_287.jpg

Ho_I3_298.jpg

Once it is taken the Republic surrenders and is annexed. Well, it is to be expected. They were facing our great army and they were ruled by a republic. It is no wonder they decided it's to surrender.
Ho_I3_314.jpg

War is declared on Haiti, as they are in the way of our true goal - Cuba.
Ho_I3_321.jpg

After our army takes just the first province, Haiti surrenders. Once more, the nation is annexed.
Ho_I3_325.jpg

Ho_I3_331.jpg

Ho_I3_333.jpg

Smetona to his navy:
"I must admit, I underestimated our power at first. But I was wrong. Even on sea, a small but skillful force can crush a larger one. Great work, men! Cuba is next and they shall taste the wrath of both our army and navy combined!"

Haiti used as a launching pad, our navy is positioned on the shores of La Habana.
Ho_I3_334.jpg

War is declared.
Ho_I3_335.jpg

The battle for La Habana begins and our forces have a somewhat difficult time at first.
Ho_I3_346.jpg

In the end our army prevails and we take over the province.
Ho_I3_350.jpg

Cuba surrenders just as Haiti did, after we took only a single province.
Ho_I3_351.jpg

Cuba is annexed like all the others.
Ho_I3_353.jpg

Smetona to his armies:
"My loyal troops. You have proven your skill both on land and sea using only minimum resources. Please wait while we strengthen the might of our war machine even further. I have one more task for both of you. It shall be revealed after you have taken your rest. So, rest and regain your strength and prowess, my victorious men!"

Really sorry for the late update, I was out of town for longer than expected. I hope to update once more tomorrow, I hope I haven't lost any potential viewers and that you enjoyed this update.

I wonder if they're the same as Britain...?

I'm surprised you didn't run into any British patrols out there. They should've made short work of your transports.

I'm surprised you didn't run into any British patrols out there. They should've made short work of your transports.
I'm not at war with Britain nor the Allies at the moment. Interesting thing, when I was invading South Africa they joined the Allies once I took over Cape town, but the Allies never declared war on me. South Africa never did a call to arms for some reason.

gosh! is there anything that Lithuania CAN'T do? It's amusing to see what can be done when you nerf threat and neutrality :)

gosh! is there anything that Lithuania CAN'T do? It's amusing to see what can be done when you nerf threat and neutrality :)
I could do almost all of these things even with neutrality but there would be a 2 year delay and it would be somewhat harder to get Denmark in time before the Germans do. I think HoI 2 had the better system when you were writing AAR's, it let you role-play better in some aspects too. Still, I enjoy HoI 3 more than HoI 2. There'll be an update later on in the day, sorry for the delay but I was busy with work.

"These fights have taught me some valuable lessons. Firstly, having colonies is an incredible advantage for a government in exile, it means that we can continue existing and even thriving without our mainland. Secondly, because of this we need more territories in the ocean. I think I've found us a very good spot."

If you're playing FtM and not SF, that statement won't be true. Things were changed in FtM so that only your VPs with cores count for surrender progress. So if your plan was to escape to Africa if the USSR takes the Baltics, it won't work.

If you're playing FtM and not SF, that statement won't be true. Things were changed in FtM so that only your VPs with cores count for surrender progress. So if your plan was to escape to Africa if the USSR takes the Baltics, it won't work.
That was actually my main concern about this AAR when I bought FtM. I started this AAR playing with SF, currently playing with FtM. I think my mainland army has enough power to wage a pretty good defensive war.

Hopefully Germany can help you in holding off the Russian hordes.

LOL...

I went trough some old AAR threads, and when I was reading this, I was like: "This AAR is so much BS...":rofl:

I mean, you could be able to do this without modding, but not right off... Axis is the only way to go here, no doubt, and annexing the other Baltic states is obvious too, but man, this is crazy...:D

Denmark and Sweden are guranteed by the UK, for a fact. I thought Denmark was also guranteed by Germany. Therefore, you must have been editing out gurantees as well as having used Non-neutrality.

Not so cool.

Personally while I feel justified with save game editing after having reached some unwinnable conclusion (i.e. as Japan beaten the Soviets back to the Stannovoys, but neither side can go any futher due to supply/infra and terrain) then you can do things like enacting a custom bitter peace for example. But if you haven't reached such a point, or started from some AH POD, then its totally unjustified, and in as much 'spirit of the game' as cheating to having the merc with the nuke bazzoka guy in Age of Empires run round killing things. ¬.¬

Cheating just to make a conquest spree isn't all that cool, because there is no challenge in declaring war on unmobilised others, and VP rushing. Hence this isn't a very inspiring AAR in my opinion.

Denmark and Sweden are guranteed by the UK, for a fact. I thought Denmark was also guranteed by Germany. Therefore, you must have been editing out gurantees as well as having used Non-neutrality.

Not so cool.

Personally while I feel justified with save game editing after having reached some unwinnable conclusion (i.e. as Japan beaten the Soviets back to the Stannovoys, but neither side can go any futher due to supply/infra and terrain) then you can do things like enacting a custom bitter peace for example. But if you haven't reached such a point, or started from some AH POD, then its totally unjustified, and in as much 'spirit of the game' as cheating to having the merc with the nuke bazzoka guy in Age of Empires run round killing things. ¬.¬

Cheating just to make a conquest spree isn't all that cool, because there is no challenge in declaring war on unmobilised others, and VP rushing. Hence this isn't a very inspiring AAR in my opinion.

Err, the only thing I changed was neutrality, I also started this AAR with the original HoI 3, not FTM. I don't know if that was the cause or whatever, however on this save I'm not at war with them. I do realize that even changing neutrality to skip my war effort 2 years ahead of time isn't all that cool, but that's pretty much the only thing changed. The reason I stopped doing this AAR was because of this. I'm probably going to do a legitimate one, but I do admit that this AAR was incredibly fun to do, albeit unreal in some parts.