+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: APD 3.0.8 download/feedback (for AHD v2.31 only)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Rome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Could it be that people are having two copies of that file (one in My Docs and one in the main install) and that's causing problems? Because otherwise I can't see why it would cause any issue, I mean what happens if you just go into the Vanilla file and edit it a tiny amount and save that, surely it won't cause a problem, right? Because that's exactly the same as replacing the normal image with the River's mod one.

Maybe ask OHGamer if we're using it right...

Quote Originally Posted by Gwax23 View Post
    There is no Cache folder or cache anything. Theres a terrain folder thats about it. The mod works fine though. Just launched it without deleting anything. No problems
    Are you sure you have all the correct Microsoft Visual C++ packages installed? I remember I had a problem where the map cache wouldn't re-generate after being deleted, since the installation for the C++ package when I installed Vic2 encountered an error.

Check this thread if you think any of your PC's packages could have been corrupted or simply haven't been installed yet (the latter being rather unlikely, since they're needed for Vic2 to run well, if at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    Could it be that people are having two copies of that file (one in My Docs and one in the main install) and that's causing problems? Because otherwise I can't see why it would cause any issue, I mean what happens if you just go into the Vanilla file and edit it a tiny amount and save that, surely it won't cause a problem, right? Because that's exactly the same as replacing the normal image with the River's mod one.
    I've had problems with map files crashing the game after minor modification, but that's an issue with the latest GIMP not saving them right. Don't know what would cause the rivers map mod to fail.

I don't think the My Docs folder would have a copy of any of the map files, just the cache. Maybe it's a cache issue?
    俺はMEIOUずきだ。

I have installed this version, with the rivers mod, and it runs smoothly with no problems whatsoever. Could it be that user installation is at fault? Personally, I am really digging the rivers mod.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

It must be something to do with installation methods, because my game is also running fine with the River's mod (though I have it installed in a different way to what most people seem to use).

We already know there were issues with the mod folder and map files, tho - remember the adjacencies thing?

Rivermod can be added independently with amazing ease, so if it causes issues for some players we may as well drop it.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Darkest HourHearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

Playing as Austria, the year is 1855 and I have some remarks:
    - Although my literacy rate is relatively low (around 25%) I already have 475k of craftsmen and I get 25k new per year so I can man 2.5 factories per year (never NF them). So I have already covered my country needs in every item available and I start producing surpluses. By the time new types of factories will become available, I will either be able to cover world demand, or the economy will have crashed. Could we consider reducing the rate of craftsmen somewhat?
    - AI Prussia is very weak. It made war with France and lost. Seven whole years later the pre-war numbers for soldiers and brigades had not yet been recovered. It made war with Belgium 7 years after the Franco Prussian and it was still so weak that they had to whitepeace it. For me, part of their weakness is their small population increase. In 1836 they start with 14.5 mil and Austria has 35. Yet Austria has 44 mil in 1855 and Prussia has 15.5 mil. Austria start with 0.08% in provinces with 35 life rating, while Prussia starts with 0.06%. Could we increase the Prussian 31-34 LR provinces to the default 35 LF rate and check if it makes them stronger?
    - I got an election event that gives the option to support the reactionary parties. It gives +5% reactionary and +2 con. I chose that option and percentage of people voting reactionary party was reduced. Could it be because of the +2con? Is it WAD?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by theodorium View Post
    - I got an election event that gives the option to support the reactionary parties. It gives +5% reactionary and +2 con. I chose that option and percentage of people voting reactionary party was reduced. Could it be because of the +2con? Is it WAD?
    What party a pop votes for relies on more than just their ideology. So you may support the reactionary party, and more pops may become reactionary, but that doesn't necessarily mean there will be more votes in the end for the reactionary parties. That's just how the system works.

My UK game crashes each time the Boer Exodus event fires in 1850. Oranje, Natalia and Transvaal all exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylock View Post
    What party a pop votes for relies on more than just their ideology. So you may support the reactionary party, and more pops may become reactionary, but that doesn't necessarily mean there will be more votes in the end for the reactionary parties. That's just how the system works.
    I guess you are right, but I was not talking about a reduction in the end. What I observed was like the following:
    Day x: reactionary party 22%.
    Day x: event "whom to support ?"Option: support the reactionary party.
    Day x right after the event : reactionary party 19%

You are right that in the end, after a month or so, the reactionary party got 29% so there must be a lot of factors that the system uses. What I don't understand is how can the support the reactionaries actually reduce their percentage the minute the game unfrose.

Quote Originally Posted by theodorium View Post
    Playing as Austria, the year is 1855 and I have some remarks:
    - Although my literacy rate is relatively low (around 25%) I already have 475k of craftsmen and I get 25k new per year so I can man 2.5 factories per year (never NF them). So I have already covered my country needs in every item available and I start producing surpluses. By the time new types of factories will become available, I will either be able to cover world demand, or the economy will have crashed. Could we consider reducing the rate of craftsmen somewhat?
    I second this. It isn't nearly as bad now as it was back in the pre-AHD versions, but it's still rather unrealistic. Perhaps raising the literacy cap to 30% for the promotion maluses would help?

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Straigthtsilver View Post
    I second this. It isn't nearly as bad now as it was back in the pre-AHD versions, but it's still rather unrealistic. Perhaps raising the literacy cap to 30% for the promotion maluses would help?
    I suspect high unemployment in RGOs is creating a lot of craftsmen through demotion. It seems grain is sort-of fixed in the new version, but Copper and Coal are still high unemployment provinces at least in the early game.

Quote Originally Posted by Naselus View Post
    We already know there were issues with the mod folder and map files, tho - remember the adjacencies thing?
    Which is why people should not use the mod folder, as it clearly still doesn't work properly. They should just install the way I do.

I told Paradox that making two folders was a bad idea, but would they listen to me...

Demand for cars, aeroplanes and telephones seems a bit low, but that may be because China hasn't civilized yet. It's a bit too easy to satisfy world demand now.

Playing as Serbia. About '60 Russia which was my ally attacked Ottomans. We managed to beat these guys so Russia took Kars and I was given Southern Serbia and Bosnia. Couple of years after the war, the event of OE future conference has been occurred. Everything was fine according to these provisions but... zombie state of Bosnia and Herzegovina has been created. It exists only as the part of Austria's SoI but not on map.
    v2_2.jpg
    Here you can see the flag of BH in the sphere of Austria.

EDIT: Bosnian flag in Austria's SoI disappeared after I had reloaded a save. Seems everything is ok. Good job!

Also noticed (it was my 2nd game with this version) that Prussia was doing poorly, every time beaten by France/Austria and both times falling under a liberal revolt and becomes democracy.
    Last edited by Calahir; 20-07-2012 at 12:52.

Yeah, prussia under a human can do very well, but the AI seems to be unable to win wars except through sheer numbers.

IMO, when naselus does his economy rewrite, most of the coal, iron, copper and other metal producing provinces should be stripped out. Then have them added to the provinces that should have them by event to countries that have mechanised mining, with the MTTH decreased by further mining techs. In 1836, the only major coal producers were britain and belgium. Maybe the rhineland and northern france should have coal as well, but places like bohemia, china and russia certainly shouldn't be major coal producers at game start.

EDIT: In 1905, Belgium produced more coal than the whole of Russia.
    Last edited by Caewil; 21-07-2012 at 08:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Caewil View Post
    IMO, when naselus does his economy rewrite, most of the coal, iron, copper and other metal producing provinces should be stripped out. Then have them added to the provinces that should have them by event to countries that have mechanised mining, with the MTTH decreased by further mining techs. In 1836, the only major coal producers were britain and belgium. Maybe the rhineland and northern france should have coal as well, but places like bohemia, china and russia certainly shouldn't be major coal producers at game start.
    Oh gods no, that's a hideously impractical idea. First up, what am I supposed to replace it with? It has to be something where losing it won't hurt the economy... which more or less means something which will have cripplingly high unemployment from day 1. It would also murder industrialization, since coal is the resource cement comes from, and that'd lead to a cascade effect of falling demand -> unemployment -> more demand shortfalls....

I *am* tempted to make mining even less efficient until techs unlock, but removing coal provinces from everywhere except Britain, Belgium and the area round A-L is not going to happen, ever.

EDIT: In 1905, Belgium produced more coal than the whole of Russia.
    And yet Russia was still producing about 15 million tons of coal at the time, which was quite a bit.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSword of the Stars II
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessV2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Naselus View Post
    Hmmm. Might ditch riversmod then.. tho I'm not sure why it'd cause issues, like Hib says, it's just a bitmap.
    FWIW, it works just fine for me. I run with Windows XP, so that might have something to do with it. Vista and 7 have UAC, which is an incredibly stupid and annoying "feature" that wrecks havoc on game mods, so for those who are having problems with the river mod, if you have Windows 7 or Vista then turn UAC off. If you don't know how, then do a search for UAC on Google or some other search engine; instructions to turn it off will very likely be the first hit you get
    The Historical Plausibility Project - 1.0.4 (final) for HoI3, 2.04 (final) for SF, 3.0.0 (final) for FtM, 3.3.2 (beta) for TFH
    Alt-History: Code Geass Timeline - v1.8 for Victoria 2: A House Divided (final), v2.2 for Heart of Darkness, based on the Pop Demand mod

My information thread about ww2 naval expansion for the world's naval powers, large and small. Last update October 25, 2014; corrected the Japanese entry.

Still playing as Austria, the year is 1859 and here are my two cents:
    -in five years my craftsmen went from 475k to 801k (never used NF to create them). my factories have started producing items that nobody wants and their profitability is positive yet, but reducing. Artisans are still increasing though, from 649k in 1836 to 766k, event though I have researched a lot of industrial inventions that increase factory productivity. I believe that artisans should become clerks or craftsmen at some point and their total number should decrease. Moreover, you could consider transfering the ability to build some factories earlier in the timeline (like cigar and cigarette factories, boots, luxury furniture - the ones that need raw materials available at start) as to avoid - or at least postpone the congestion observed in the initial factory types, until the true second wave can come (electric, auto, etc).
    -Prague is a 17x province! Prague alone can cover the global demand for iron. Therefore only 7% of RGO is full, so each time an invention or RGO booster increases its mine size I cry, literally cry, as I already have an unemployment of 85% there. Can we do something about provincial RGO sizes, like put a cap at 4-6 or something?
    -I need five minutes alone with that prospector. I can even match whatever you pay him so that he stays home. Can we at least make him change trade items only among the ones that need labourers? (so if a province has coal, that man can only find lead, iron, or whatever else needs labourers, this way they don't start hiring from 0 but from the previous level of emplyment onwards.. Similarily, can the cash crops alternate only among trade items that need farmers)?

china and russia certainly shouldn't be major coal producers at game start.
    Well, actually China has a coal-mining industry going back centuries in some places, it's just that it was used for home cooking and heating and not for industry. So low-productivity coal RGOs are fine in North China from the start IMO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast