• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I left the game for a month and came back 2 days ago.
I get CTD in every single combat when a section is going to explode. (with latest D patch).
You call that playable? :)
I checked the dev forum and i see people helping by sending save games and checking for workarounds, or trying to reproduce. This is very nice, but again, it feels like the customers are the QA of the dev, for free.

I checked the dev forum and i see people helping by sending save games and checking for workarounds, or trying to reproduce. This is very nice, but again, it feels like the customers are the QA of the dev, for free.
It's actually worse.
I regularly check my crash logs and the majority are due to missing art assets. Why the game still addresses those and why there is no work-around or place-holder is anybody's guess, but the point is that if the developers are using their customers as QA, they aren't even bothering to patch the bugs QA is reporting.

Try to get steam to check files or reinstalling.
Neither of which will fix the problems with the missing assets. Even if we assume the fault lies solely with Steam, that still means nobody is actually checking those crash reports.
And I doubt Steam have persistently sabotaged each build by removing the same specific assets from each.
The problem might not even be that assets are missing - it's possible that it's merely a matter of outdated code calling assets that shouldn't exist.

depending on the size of the game i am playing; the turn process can be a couple sec to 2m; if i play Jax or a smaller map turn processes are very quick. On SoTSverse it can take over a minute.

i am running a i3720; 32GB RAM; nVidia GTX 560

Neither of which will fix the problems with the missing assets. Even if we assume the fault lies solely with Steam, that still means nobody is actually checking those crash reports.
And I doubt Steam have persistently sabotaged each build by removing the same specific assets from each.
The problem might not even be that assets are missing - it's possible that it's merely a matter of outdated code calling assets that shouldn't exist.

Those missing art assets aren't crashing your game. Everybody gets those errors. Most games give similar errors, as they will occasionally call unneeded or old art files.
Unless your crash report box says missing asset (instead of "index out of range" or Foreign key constraint") or that missing asset error is the final error on an error log, they have nothing to do with the crash.

I miss the glorious days of SotS. I had so much fun with that game, it was truly epic. The second game so far has been incredibly underwhelming and unfun. I pre-ordered it and still wait for it to be done, but my expectations are not high at the moment. Too much time has passed and I still need to be convinced that the game will be good some day. The team behind is great, but I feel they overreached. Nevertheless, I acknowledge that several people are having fun with this game as it is. Good for them, I guess. It's just not my cup of tea yet.

Last edited:
I bought this game on the summer sale and am enjoying it immensely.

With the current cycle of break-fix-break-fix patching in mind, I'm not investing much emotionally into any game. Just playing with it knowing it's in flux.
With the AI fairly predictable, I expect to play real games only in MP, but this is not unusual as almost no strategy game AI can compete ever.

On the other hand, the game concept is outstanding. I'm not one of those "it's the thought that counts" people with games. Obviously, it's whether playing is fun or not that counts. But this game clearly wants to be more than it is, and if it ever comes close to its mark, it will be truly epic. For now, still far-off from "finished" it has enough features and is stable enough to be fun. And that's good enough.

Knock on wood for the next patch. People just need to know what they're getting into, and then wait for the game to go on sale for cheap. At the price it's a steal - so many modern, "finished" and full-price games are worse than this...

@eRe4s3r
Actually there are only 6 races. I'll admit I play with 6 races. So what, why is that not a "Full" game. lol Because it can go to 8? What kind of logic is that? I play Hiver a lot, and face Hiver in almost every game I'm not playing Hiver (and sometimes when I do!). So again not having issues with Hivers. Yep I play the default combat time of 5 minutes, it is after all how the game was designed. 8-12 minutes is a choice, not a requirement. Just because I don't play the game with more then 6 factions, at 8-12minutes combat times and on HUGE Maps doesn't mean I or others don't "basically not playing the game at all" lol

As for combat turns and the time it takes to "play" those turns out...your kidding right? The whole point of SotS (any version) for me is the combat turns. I don't recall ever using the "do it for me" option. If I want a combat to go really fast, I just use Ctrl-Pageup and poof done in no time. Saying that those who play the game as intended aren't really playing the game is kind of like saying....breathing isn't real unless you can breath underwater and in vacuum without assistance and to use pressurized air and suits is not really breathing. lol

Everyone plays how they play and some have different idea's of what that means to be honest, but that doesn't mean it's the only way or the right way or anything silly like that. Some will like it, some will not. You can't please everyone. If this isn't your cup of soup, there are other soups out there go sample and be happy.

Actually there are very few soups compared to the past of 4x gaming so many of us are actually stuck with games, soups, that are released broken, undercooked, like this and Legends of Pegasus. Tho I will admit anno is entertaining but still hardly a replacement for a good unbroken 4x. If the game wasn't intended to be played that way it shouldn't have been put in the options to begin with that is simple software design philosophy. To say that is not what was intended is like saying Starcraft was never intended to be an RTS. Its baloney and you know it. No company, unless they are incompetent, puts things into software or games, again unless they are incompetent, that they do not expect to be used. Now an incompetent company will and if in this case it wasn't intended, well you get my point.

The game is meant to be designed around this and i highly doubt waiting 5-12 minutes for AI's to slug it out against each other before a turn processed was Intended.

@eRe4s3r

Everyone plays how they play and some have different idea's of what that means to be honest, but that doesn't mean it's the only way or the right way or anything silly like that. Some will like it, some will not. You can't please everyone. If this isn't your cup of soup, there are other soups out there go sample and be happy.

Amen, Shadow. I have not had time/desire to play HUGE maps with tons of AI, so I cannot speak to having any issues as some describe. I actually have only ever had the game crash on me, once, maybe twice. And it was no big deal...just loaded up last auto-saved game and lost about...2 minor tasks in a strategy phase of that same turn. No big deal IMO.
Every time I play, I have tons of fun, and have a really hard time stopping to go to sleep.