• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
MrDgcr: Thanks! I was starting to run low on screenshots, so I had to play some more. There should be enough screenshots for at least a few more updates. Torcotore is getting old, and I imagine he has a decade or thereabouts before he passes on and Antoniotto inherits.

Chapter XI
Sickness and Oddity

August 1090 - December 1092

Stefania and I continue to have a happy marriage, despite her unfortunate and prolonged illness.

stress-relief_zps3df28830.jpg

When His Holiness Victor III was elected in August 1090, he brought the Archbishopric of Tuscany under Papal control. He then made Pietro Mazzabarba Archbishop of Tuscany.

Archbishop-Tuscany_zpse7114603.jpg

The new Archbishop of Tuscany happens to be a rival of my friend (illegible)1. I think it’s only reasonable that an enemy of one of my friends should also be an enemy of mine.

Tuscan-rival_zpsf75ff80f.jpg

My wife’s brother Bernat recently came to live at court.

law-brother_zps5f20d0f7.jpg

I have heard that he was in a foul mood because his lover left him, but I have yet to hear who his former lover was.

law-brother-forn_zpsf79b4af8.jpg

It’s unfortunate that he hasn’t married yet.

I have decided that Filomena will be educated in a convent.

Filomena before her education
Filomena-pre-ed_zpsedbc4c57.jpg

Filomena-convent_zpsc68798a0.jpg

My son Ramon Berenguer has completed his education.

Ramon-webweaver_zpsb7c06756.jpg

It seems that he favors scheming and intrigue over diplomatic negotiations or business enterprises.

Ramon-educated_zpsc6c13977.jpg

I suppose there is a place for such work at most courts, though I certainly prefer diplomacy or even battle over the use of poison or hired killers. If nothing else, I suppose it’s good to have people with such skills around to guard against those who are not as principled.

schizo-Ramon_zps3b59e76d.jpg

Ramon Berenguer has been acting very strange lately.

schizophren-Ramon_zps57f87c26.jpg

papal-investiture_zps0066feec.jpg

I regret having to cede authority over investiture to the Pope, though considering my last brush with Papal authority I would prefer to be on the good side of His Holiness.

cagliari-lost_zps71e0195e.jpg

I have heard that some people question whether I have a true claim to Cagliari, which is absolute nonsense. I ruled Cagliari for almost 30 years before I took Arborea and gave Cagliari to my eldest son, I’m not about to give it up just because Antoniotto thinks I’m too old to rule, or whatever nonsense he chooses to believe.

stefania-worms_zps1703a24a.jpg

The doctors say that Stefania has taken a turn for the worse. Prayers continue to be said for her speedy recovery. I hate to think of what my life would be like without my beloved wife at my side.

Filomena-foster_zps53021263.jpg

I thought I might send Filomena to the court of my ally, Count Severo of Ancona, to improve our relations. When I sent a letter asking if he would accept her, Count Severo quickly answered that he would be honored to raise my daughter like one of his own.

Filomena shortly after her arrival in Ancona, mid-September 1092
Filomena-Ancona_zps25ef5786.jpg

stressed-random_zpsff896d44.jpg

stressed-rando_zps72535f90.jpg

Adelia has been short-tempered and irritable lately.

exiled-Ramon_zps668bae9f.jpg

Ramon Berenguer seems to think that he deserves a place on my council more than Froizza. She may be a woman, but she hasn't been acting strange lately and she certainly seems to be doing a good job. At last report, Ramon Berenguer was living at the court of Duke Serlo of Calabria.

Duke Serlo I of Calabria, late November 1092
DukeSerloCalabria_zpsd4f1301d.jpg

1: This is my clever way of saying I don't know exactly who he was a rival of, since I didn't really have any good screenshots and I didn't bother to take notes. Oops.

Chapter XII
Marriage and Reward

February 1093 - May 1094

babyslayed_zps249803c5.jpg

My grandson Berto, Lorenzo and Froizza’s son, died recently at the age of three years and four months. We were unable to determine his cause of death, though Ramon Berenguer claimed that Berto was plotting to kill him.

babyslayer_zps63df6cf0.jpg

Why would a child be plotting to kill his uncle?

On a happier note, King Roger of Sicily, or armies fighting in his name, took Jerusalem from the Mohammedans in January 1092. The Pope has given thanks for the aid God and the saints gave to the brave souls who took up the cross and returned Jerusalem to its rightful Christian rule.

King Roger Borsa of Sicily, March 1093
KingRogerSicily_zps36052a82.jpg

first-crusade-end_zps5f9fb85d.jpg

Agapito’s wife Muriella has decided to retire to a convent for a short time. Since Muriella is my Steward, I had been wondering who I might find to replace her when Agapito volunteered to temporarily take over her duties. I hope he is able to keep everything in order until Muriella returns.

working-affair_zpsf6522956.jpg

(Agapito became Pragmatic)

agapito-pragmatic_zps2834d4ab.jpg

(Agapito "befriended" Anastasia of Orvieto when he was being fostered at either the Papal or Tuscan court - she’s married to the bastard brother of the Count of Saluzzo.)

saluzzo_zpsa6f3eb23.jpg

Stefania has fallen ill yet again.

sick-stefania_zpsba05ffc6.jpg

Emmanuele has shown some skill with figures and various petty intrigues, including but not limited to stealing treats from the kitchen.

emmanuele-precourt_zps5f1f2c2b.jpg

I think this means he is best suited for a suitable education at court, in order to prepare him for a career as a diplomat, spy master, or steward.

emmanuele-court_zps7c7febc8.jpg

My son Azzone, the Chancellor of Sardinia, thinks that his services should be rewarded.

azzone-preward_zpsa95feeb6.jpg

wants-reward_zps99d86f5c.jpg

It seems like he could negotiate the leaves off a tree, and not everyone has that kind of skill, so I think it's only reasonable that I should reward him.

rewarding-azzone_zpsd24a9a0e.jpg

rewarded-azzone_zps29c6bef6.jpg

less-ardor_zps703f3626.jpg

Agapito has been helping his wife carry out her official duties.

aragonese-prodigy_zps54d91cb2.jpg

I recently learned of a very astute Aragonese princess. I wonder if Ramon Berenguer would act less strange if he had a wife to occupy his time?

allied-sister_zps97e219b8.jpg

I also thought it might be a good idea to strengthen our alliance with the Count of Ancona, so I sent a letter that proposed that Count Severo's sister Emma marry Ramon Berenguer.

norman-princess_zps8f643e83.jpg

King Roger's brother Bohemond may have died several years ago, but Bohemond's daughter looks like she could also be a good match. Well, at least if financial acumen, intrigue, or fervent religious belief are not among the qualities that you are looking for.

allied-wedding_zps7efdcad1.jpg

Severo of Ancona agrees to marry his sister to Ramon Berenguer. At the wedding, we also learn that Emma is a half-sister of the Duke of Gwynedd, which is apparently a small duchy somewhere in Britannia.

Merigo-crusader_zps6965433d.jpg

Merigo has been wanting to take up the Cross and fight the heathens, but he's still thankfully some years away from that. It seems spending his early years at a monastery and the last several years learning tactics, strategy, and all of the other essentials of military command has had some effect on him.

DumBMan: Thank you very much! After seeing your request, I included such a map in this update. Right now I'm planning on writing about the state of "the world" when Torcotore dies, and then maybe every 25 years or so after that. We'll see how that goes.

Chapter XIII
Death and Grandchildren

May 1094 - August 1095

Okay, so I probably should have included this screenshot in the last update.
MerigoMay1094_zps27c77423.jpg

Lorenzo-spymaster_zpsf4611951.jpg

I’m not sure why Lorenzo thinks he would be a better spymaster than his wife Froizza, but to keep him somewhat happy I allow him to take her place as my spy master, even if he does happen to be slightly less skilled than his wife.

may94-council_zps00814e81.jpg

Flandina-preconvent_zps892bdb90.jpg

Agapito and Muriella’s daughter Flandina is old enough to begin her education, and it is decided that she will receive an ecclesiastical education at a convent.

Flandina-convent_zps8e9f73ab.jpg

Matilda-precourt_zps7fb5a541.jpg

Her older sister Matilda, in contrast, will be educated by the officials of the court.

Matilda-court_zps5ffcb197.jpg

She seems to have inherited some of her mother’s skill with figures, though of course a child isn’t going to have very much skill with finances or business.

Stefania-dies_zps95ec4b20.jpg

My beloved Stefania died less than two weeks before Christmas after a long illness. May she rest in peace.

Stefania-memorial_zps63b05879.jpg

I wish I could think of more to write, but I would hate for my tears to smear the ink.

Ramon Berenguer has claimed that he can hear the voices of angels. Sometimes he seems to be talking to them, if his recent habit of talking to thin air is any indication. He has been spending a lot more time at prayer and in confession lately, so if nothing else that’s a good thing.

angelic-speech_zpse1832126.jpg

ramon-angels_zpsf202855a.jpg

Adelia da Cardano has requested permission to retire from my service. She never served as one of my advisors, but since most of my children, or their wives, are more capable and younger, I saw no reason for her to continue in my service.

Adelia-retirement_zpsb5f3fc9f.jpg

Adelia-retired_zps2bb2b474.jpg

I have decided to charter a tile factory, in order to allow buildings to be constructed faster and for increased revenues.

Corsica is currently part of the Kingdom of Sicily, despite being part of the de jure Duchy of Sardinia.
map-Italy_zps3664924e.jpg

The island of Sardinia itself is currently the entirety of the Duchy's territory.

Antonia-precourt_zpsbfb9086c.jpg

Azzone’s daughter Antonia shall be educated at court. Perhaps she will have her father’s skill with diplomacy.

Antonia-court_zps8d7ff8dd.jpg

Agapito and Muriella had an argument the other day, but Agapito’s decision to buy an expensive gift seems to have made amends.

Agapito-amendments_zps17ca7fa2.jpg

Since Antoniotto and Agapito were so close when they were younger, I decided that relations between Antoniotto and I might be improved if one of Agapito’s children were fostered at Antoniotto’s court.

emmanuele-prefoster_zps424bf861.jpg

I chose Emmanuele because he was the oldest of Agapito's children, and because he’s Agapito’s only son thus far.

declined_zpsd5104b77.jpg

The first time I suggested it to Antoniotto he refused, but my persistence must have persuaded him that it was a good idea.

Emmanuele-cagliari_zps4b8bb850.jpg

Last edited:
Again awesome chapter. May Stefania rest in peace. There is one thing from previous chapter I still don't understand. Child plotting to kill his uncle? Will you reveal it in next updates? I'm really interested of what will come out of it.

Council and Crusade

DumBMan: All will be revealed soon. Thank you for your comments!

Chapter XIV
Council and Crusade

August 1095 - February 1097

zealot-meet-skeptic_zps910d90aa.jpg

chaplain-wannabe_zps7773079b.jpg

I have no idea who this Barnaba Taparelli is. If I wasn’t satisfied with Costante’s long years of loyal service as my court chaplain, I might be inclined to replace him, but I happen to be satisfied with Costante, and furthermore Barnaba is fairly old. Having to find a replacement chaplain could be slightly inconvenient.

brother-in-law-laughingstock_zps8b148851.jpg

My brother-in-law Bernat no longer has a valid claim on the title of Margrave of Provence. I believe Antoniotto’s claim on Provence from Stefania is still valid.

2nd-crusade-called_zps48918168.jpg

His Holiness Victor III has called for every true Christian to take up the cross and take Alexandria from the Muslims, who have ruled it since 641.

sisterly-rivalry_zps9766b3d5.jpg

Flandina and Matilda have been squabbling lately.

bad-fishery_zpsbe538dd4.jpg

I decided to help the fishermen when I learned that they had a bad harvest.

dead-baby_zps687f29e7.jpg

Lorenzo and Froizza’s daughter Bona has died at the age of one year and two weeks.

Tommaso-premartial_zps9e123add.jpg

Tommaso-martial_zpsf9147031.jpg

It has been decided that Lorenzo and Froizza’s son Tommaso will be educated in tactics, strategy, and everything else he will need to know to become a skilled military commander.

tile-factory-built_zpsf4d0e148.jpg

The tile factory has been completed.

new-rival_zps561b372d.jpg

I’m not sure why Count Severo of Ancona is suddenly my rival. Was he offended by something Filomena said? I do hope no harm comes to her as a result of his suddenly disliking me. This will probably also affect our alliance.

Clemente_zps16ceedfc.jpg

Clemente-stress_zps68cdb49e.jpg

I’m not sure who this Clemente Maggi is, but since he has consumption I’ve been trying to keep him away from me anyway.

Emma-sick_zps8cd4aa92.jpg

Ramon Berenguer’s wife Emma has fallen ill. Thankfully, she doesn’t seem to have contracted consumption or any other severe illnesses.

ramon-berenguer_zps376c8205.jpg

ramon-steward_zps098e021e.jpg

I don’t know why Ramon Berenguer thinks he would make a better steward than Muriella. Even if her being a woman prevented her from being my steward, Agapito is much better at figures than Ramon Berenguer has shown himself to be.

ramon-notsteward_zps770ac1c8.jpg

Ramon Berenguer has been short-tempered and irritable lately.

pisan-spymistress_zps3b67ce3b.jpg

I decide that Froizza can be my spymaster once again.

flavia-court_zps7ab1f548.jpg

Flavia will be educated by the officials of the court so that she might become skilled in diplomacy, stewardship, or intrigue.

ramon-stressrelieved_zps40956ffc.jpg

Ramon Berenguer seems to be in a better mood lately. He seems to be convinced that his wife being sick is his fault, so he's been spending more time confessing his sins and "talking to angels." At least, that's what he claims to be doing in empty rooms if anyone asks him why he's standing in a room and talking to himself.

Dynasty seems to be coming along nicely and very strong advisors especially that chancellor of yours (19 diplomacy! - you could convince someone to hand over their kingdom to you with such stats!) So,will you be off to Alexandria then?

A plague on your House?

Supreme Leader: I was pleasantly surprised by several of the character's stats. I'm not off to Alexandria immediately - I'm a few years ahead in game of where I am in the AAR, so it will be a few updates before we might see a Sardinian expedition to Alexandria.

Chapter XV

In Sickness and In Health

March 1097 - June 1098

Agapito-love_zpsd70dbb78.jpg

Agapito and Muriella have been spending a lot of time together lately.

Emma-recovers_zps0c1c9946.jpg

Emma has recovered from her illness.

Clemente-consumed_zps1ed7b4ea.jpg

Clemente-pray_zpsd1ad0078.jpg

A woman who claimed to be able to cure the sick offered to cure Clemente. He refused her offer and seems to have recovered from his consumption.

Clemente-recovers_zps77ce7857.jpg

Bianca-pretired_zpsb9a28bde.jpg

Bianca-request_zps56c6a40c.jpg

Bianca Morosini has requested permission to retire. I gave my assent, of course, because she’s getting old and my son Azzone, currently serving as my chancellor, is still fairly young.

Bianca-memorial_zps8b5a58c8.jpg

The Count of Urbino
urbino_zps9aeabf01.jpg

friend-of-urbino_zpsb1d12843.jpg

I decide to befriend the Duke of Lower Lorraine, who happens to be a friend of my friend the Count of Urbino.

new-friend_zpsba7b4a19.jpg

Hospitalers_zps2c5c3de2.jpg

In news from the Holy Land, we learn that an order of knights calling themselves the Hospitalers has been granted Acre by King Robert of England.

Merigo-sick_zps4205e45c.jpg

Merigo contracted some kind of illness shortly before his sixteenth birthday. Prayers will be said for his swift recovery.

Merigo circa October 1098
Merigo-Oct98_zps418f4a5c.jpg

Emma-sick_zps1b49a7ef.jpg

Emma has fallen ill again.

Ramon-locked-up_zps90ca461d.jpg

Costante came to me in confidence and told me that Ramon Berenguer had confessed to killing Berto by smothering him with a pillow. According to Costante, Ramon Berenguer also said that he had been told that Berto was plotting to kill him. I decide to send Ramon to a monastery in order to prevent him from harming anyone else.

Ramon-memorial_zps9be8f8fa.jpg

Felicia-preconvent_zpsc32f8807.jpg

Felicia-convent_zps61cbf6a3.jpg

It is decided that Azzone’s daughter Felicia will be educated in a convent.

Emma-begs_zps9699c3e5.jpg

Emma decided to beg for charity from a healer who offered to cure her ailment, but she doesn’t seem to have improved.

Chapter XVI
Normannorum Nostrum

July 1098 - January 1100

screen01_zps4d446fb1.jpg

Merigo had been competing with another young man for the favors of the younger ladies of the court, but he has been acting more generous lately.

screen02_zps5982fb8b.jpg

Emma has recovered from her latest illness.

screen03_zps6fd0de35.jpg

Since Merigo has come of age, I have decided to find him a wife. The daughter of King Roger of Sicily would be a nice match, though I have to confess I’m not certain if he’ll agree to the match or not.

screen04_zpsdf96369c.jpg

screen05_zps50c120c0.jpg

King Roger of Sicily has agreed to my proposal, so Merigo and Princess Aline shall be married.

screen06_zps8f96c389.jpg

Filomena has come of age and returned from Ancona. I shouldn’t be surprised by how strongly she resembles her mother, and I suppose it’s time I find her a husband.

screen07_zpsdb7994ef.jpg

screen08_zps4915d05e.jpg

His Holiness Victor III has passed away after 9 years as Pope. The conclave elected Archbishop Rolando of Iceland, who took the name of Gregory VII.

screen09_zps6351544d.jpg

screen10_zps8250968e.jpg

King Olaf of Norway is still very influential at the Papal court, if the rumors are true.

I propose to King Roger of Sicily that Filomena marry his nephew Mauger, who is a son of King Roger’s late brother Bohemond.

screen12_zps5425fad2.jpg

screen11_zpsd4f8a236.jpg

Matilda has been prominent among the girls her age at court of late.

screen13_zps878ae678.jpg

screen14_zps745681e5.jpg

Costante’s rival Barnaba Taparelli has died of old age. I’ve been told that some of the more isolated villages he visited in Arborea have begun to venerate him as if he’s been beatified by the Church.

screen15_zps32fb82d2.jpg

screen16_zps6fa42d67.jpg

screen17_zpsb966a01b.jpg

King Roger has declined my proposal to marry Filomena to his nephew Mauger. I decide to propose that Filomena marry Mauger’s brother Hugh, who is currently serving as King Roger’s Marshal.

screen18_zps8851f146.jpg

This time King Roger accepts my proposal, and I decide to levy a duty in order to pay for the dowry and preparations for the marriage.

screen19_zps3e76a72d.jpg

screen20_zps7a2445b0.jpg

Wanted: Better Chapter Titles

Chapter XVII
Hunting and Intrigue

February 1100 - March 1101

screen01_zps700ae1a9.jpg

screen02_zps15158b56.jpg

Count Gaston of Carcassone, Montpellier, and Gabiyaha requests an alliance, and I accept. I’m not entirely sure why Count Severo of Ancona decided to end our alliance, but perhaps it was something Filomena said or did.

screen03_zps9044bfb0.jpg

screen04_zpsbedde7c9.jpg

screen05_zps31a6f7be.jpg

Merigo has finished his education and become a brilliant strategist. I decide to make him my Marshal.

screen06_zps658f064c.jpg

Merigo and Aline’s daughter Giuditta (born March 11, 1100) has fallen ill.

screen07_zpsa42a0e83.jpg

Costante has ably served as my court chaplain for almost 27 years.

screen09_zps832ae140.jpg

After a few months, Giuditta has recovered from her sickness.

screen10_zpsb612d5b9.jpg

Merigo found a large deer while he was hunting and decided that it would make a great trophy.

screen11_zps203900aa.jpg

Lorenzo is claiming that he would be a better spy master than his wife again.

screen12_zpsbc2461ef.jpg

I tell him, yet again, that his wife is unfortunately more skilled than he his. Perhaps it’s due to her being the eldest daughter of the Consul of Pisa, as opposed to Lorenzo’s being the third son of a comparatively minor ruler.

screen13_zpsdc54ec65.jpg

Clemente did have a claim to Durham, which is apparently in northern England, but nobody is taking his claim seriously anymore. I have to say that I’m not sure if anyone at my court ever did take his claims seriously, though.

screen14_zps7ebc5ba2.jpg

For the umpteenth time, Lorenzo claims he would be better than his wife and I tell him that I am satisfied with her service.

screen15_zpsc9b49910.jpg

Froizza has proposed a plan for the assassination of Count Severo of Ancona.

screen16_zpsced0772c.jpg

I decide against it on the grounds of cost and it not being honorable to hire people to kill the ruler who is fostering one of your children.

screen17_zpsa266773b.jpg

screen18_zpsd38e9076.jpg

Muriella’s brother joined my court recently, shortly before he started suffering from illness.

screen19_zpsca29db8d.jpg

Agapito’s daughter Flandina and Azzone’s daughter Antonia have recently become close friends.

screen20_zps3612364b.jpg

I sort of forgot about this for a couple weeks. Oops. Anyway, in a few updates you might understand why I might have been frustrated. Let's just say that one of the characters in this update will prove to be important in the near future.

Chapter XVIII
Religion and Illness

March 1101 - June 1102

screen41_zps57607759.jpg

Bernard, the brother of my late wife, recently died in his sleep. I don’t like to think about how old I’m getting, but there are some times when I do feel very old.

screen42_zpsf769a400.jpg

At any rate, since Bernard never married and fathered no legitimate children, I believe that the blood of the Counts of Besalu now survives in my children and grandchildren due to my late and beloved Stefania.

screen43_zps520dff89.jpg

screen44_zpsaa0ca251.jpg

Flandina, Agapito’s youngest daughter, has been particularly generous and kind lately.

screen45_zpsa8301f19.jpg

screen46_zps3060c732.jpg

Merigo has been spending more time in confession and in prayer of late.

screen47_zps920d3a9c.jpg

He also seems to have decided that he dislikes his father-in-law King Roger of Sicily.

screen48_zps570eebf5.jpg

Costante has not been feeling well lately.

screen50_zps85b3598b.jpg

He has claims on Corsica, Arborea, Monferrato, and Cagliari. I believe Pisa starts with claims on Arborea and Cagliari, and Sesto inherited a claim on Corsica (and, for that matter, Cagliari) from his father Alberto.

After receiving an emissary from Sesto Obertenghi, the only son of my old rival Alberto “the Red” of Corsica and the new Consul of Pisa, I decide to attempt to improve our relations by offering one of my grandchildren to foster at the Pisan court.

screen49_zpsbf8ecc56.jpg

After looking at the saved game, I saw that Sesto actually inherited Pisa from Gentile d'Appiano in April, but I didn't notice until about 6 months later. I saw that I had +10 relations with him, which is why I thought fostering a child there might improve relations and hopefully avoid a war with Pisa.

screen51_zps8952c6c0.jpg

I decide to offer Azzone’s daughter Felicia, and Consul Sesto accepts my offer.

screen52_zps03e416e0.jpg

Apparently Costante has been suffering from stomach worms.

screen53_zpsc251b91f.jpg

After her sister’s departure for a convent near Pisa, Azzone’s eldest daughter Antonia has become known among the children and maids of the court for plotting and deceit.

screen54_zpsfe61d6be.jpg

Merigo’s wife Princess Aline of Sicily accepted a wandering healer’s offer to cure her illness.

screen55_zpse72a44a7.jpg

screen56_zps28ba26cc.jpg

Unfortunately, the child she was pregnant with at the time was stillborn.

screen57_zpse5276f39.jpg

Agapito’s son Emmanuele returned to court after turning 16.

screen58_zps88c01ff8.jpg

Agapito’s wife’s brother Henry decided to beg for the mercy of the wandering healer that offered to heal him.

screen59_zps4022df92.jpg

If the rumor is true, Merigo refused the advances of a maidservant and remains completely faithful to his wife.

screen60_zps410af4fc.jpg

Chapter XIX
Loss and Gains

June 1102 - July 1103

screen61_zps8862edfd.jpg

screen62_zps69885d06.jpg

Costante Zeno has passed away after nearly 29 years of loyal service as my court chaplain.

screen63_zpsc8cdec74.jpg

My second son Agapito will replace him as court chaplain.

screen64_zpsc3232aa1.jpg

screen65_zpsb178c90a.jpg

Tommaso, Lorenzo and Froizza’s son, has been known to be modest, truthful, and temperate.

screen66_zps10f60c3a.jpg

screen67_zpsacc30f61.jpg

My son and Marshal Merigo has thankfully recovered from his illness.

screen68_zps708ce9a6.jpg

Henry, Agapito’s brother-in-law, decided to pray for his health instead of allowing a wandering healer to cure his illness. Henry’s prayers don’t seem to have improved his health yet.

screen69_zpsf53491ba.jpg

Agapito’s daughter Matilda has become close friends with Lorenzo’s daughter Flavia.

screen70_zps5eaa57eb.jpg

screen71_zps87023946.jpg

Agapito has apparently decided to take up celibacy now that he's serving as court chaplain. I bet that his being fostered at the Papal court in his youth might have persuaded him to make this decision. On the other hand, I'm not exactly lacking for heirs - aside from Antoniotto and his sons Fresco and Pasquale, and Agapito and his son Emmanuele, I'm not exactly low on potential heirs considering my five living sons and their children.

screen72_zpsf912df23.jpg

screen73_zpse6f5cd81.jpg

Count Obizzo of Monferrato proposed an alliance, which I naturally accept.

screen74_zps84c18001.jpg

screen75_zps823ea50a.jpg

screen76_zpscd4836f6.jpg

Agapito's son Emmanuele has completed his education and become a skilled diplomat.

screen77_zps208c6382.jpg

This time, when a wandering healer offers to help Henry, he throws himself upon their charity. Whatever the healer did must have worked, because he seems to be perfectly healthy now.

screen78_zps477e61c2.jpg

screen79_zps4b2d3405.jpg

It is decided that Azzone’s daughter Ermenegilda will be educated at court.

screen80_zpsedd076d6.jpg

Calm Before The Storm

DumBMan: Thank you!

Chapter XX
The Calm Before the Storm

October 1103 - October 1104

screen81_zpsa830fc9e.jpg

screen82_zpsd18d8455.jpg

Lorenzo's daughter Flavia has gained an unfortunate reputation as being hostile and reckless.

screen83_zpsc85b210b.jpg

I propose to King Roger of Sicily that his niece Gundred marry my grandson Emmanuele, and King Roger accepts.

screen84_zps554051f7.jpg

screen85_zps27ebed9a.jpg

screen86_zps86b46483.jpg

Emmanuele's sister Matilda finishes her education, and I propose to Duke Jordan of Sicily that she marry Bernard, his eldest grandson.

screen87_zps9c816f58.jpg

Duke Jordan accepts my proposal and Matilda departs for her new home at Palermo.

screen88_zpsd7b9c090.jpg

With the coming of spring, I decide to order the construction of a network of roads to connect the major cities and towns of Arborea, which will ease travel and trade and, perhaps, also aid the collection of taxes. I'm not sure that I'll live long enough to see the road network expanded to the rest of the island, but with the resources of Arborea at their disposal I don't think Antoniotto or his successors should find it too difficult to build more roads.

screen89_zpsfcfbb57e.jpg

screen90_zpsde32f4c3.jpg

Flandina has apparently been inspired by the example of her father, though chastity is a step down from celibacy if I correctly remember my lessons. Still, better to be faithful to one's spouse than to be unfaithful and adulterous.

screen91_zps985a4f93.jpg

Antoniotto has declared independence and now styles himself “King and Judge of Cagliari”. I decide that bringing him to heel can wait until next spring, and give orders to begin preparations for war.

screen92_zps94c6f44b.jpg

Today we received an emissary from Consul Sesto of Pisa informing us that the Republic of Pisa is now officially at war with the Duchy of Sardinia. I wonder - does Sesto's decision to go to war with me relate to his father Alberto “the Red”, or does it relate to Pisan interests?

Chapter XXI
War Against Pisa

October 1104 - October 1105

After Pisa's declaration of war, but before the fighting begins, Sardinia learns of the death of Pope Gregory VII.

screen93_zps7860f204.jpg

The cardinals elect the Polish Archbishop of Modena, and the new Pope takes the name of Gelasius II.

screen94_zps026d029c.jpg

A company of Danish mercenaries offered their services, which I am all too glad to accept. The Jutland Raiders Company by itself almost doubles the size of the army I can assemble. I would probably be able to muster more men if my son hadn't declared independence, but I'll deal with him later.

screen95_zps2793ec36.jpg

Apparently Gundred has finished her education, and is quite the scholar.

screen96_zps74650105.jpg

The Pisans finally landed. Without the Danes, the Pisans would outnumber me, but with the Danes our forces are roughly equal in size.

screen97_zpsbf14a067.jpg

screen98_zps57569959.jpg

After several weeks of skirmishing, we manage to drive the Pisans back into the sea.

screen99_zps4e409133.jpg

Unfortunately, we took more losses than the Pisans did. We lost almost a thousand men, while the Pisans only lost about eight hundred. My son Merigo also refused the advances of a camp follower left behind when the Pisans abandoned their camp, which only adds to his reputation for piety.

screen100_zps6c63718d.jpg

Agapito's brother-in-law Henry has lost any claim he might have had to his father's lands in England. Considering his position as the youngest son and being in exile without any lands or power, this isn't surprising.

screen101_zps07a6906c.jpg

Men commanded by the Bishop of Piombino landed in Arborea. Unfortunately, the Danes quickly lose their resolve, which leaves me with 700 men against the bishop's 600.

screen102_zps5fc51b24.jpg

This time, the enemy takes more losses than we do, but we only have so many reserves.

screen103_zpsc80bfb55.jpg

Flavia has become very close to Antonia lately.

screen104_zps05793861.jpg

screen105_zps203a4bc9.jpg

Ermenegilda and Antonia have been competing fiercely with each other lately.
screen106_zps75884072.jpg

screen107_zps529e8911.jpg

Merigo's daughter Giuditta will be educated in a convent.
screen108_zps5c2f150a.jpg

screen109_zps252a0912.jpg

In spite of his friendship with my rival Count Severo of Ancona, I see no reason to be an enemy of Bishop Hartmann of Rostock, who happens to be a brother of the King of Germany.

screen110_zps77fb555b.jpg

Ancona is a lot closer to Sardinia than Rostock, which is an island somewhere off the northern coast of Germany, or so I'm told.

screen111_zps0569d107.jpg

King Enrique of Aragon has offered an alliance, which I readily accept.

screen112_zps68f1c18b.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter XXII
The War Continues

October 1105 to September 1106

screen113_zps31388126.jpg

The Pisans have returned. Without the Danes I can only muster about one thousand men, while the Pisans have about half again as many.

After about three weeks of skirmishing, my army is forced to withdraw to Cagliari. After marching back to Arborea we promptly attack the Pisans, but my army is defeated after two weeks of fighting.

screen114_zps59cc76f3.jpg

Merigo continues to maintain a reputation for being faithful to his wife in spite of the presence of camp followers and other desperate women.

screen115_zps21f517f4.jpg

The court is surprised when an emissary from Count Raymond of Maine, a bastard son of King Robert of England, appears with a proposal that Count Raymond's eldest son Odibrand marry Agapito's daughter Flandina.

screen116_zps7841763f.jpg

screen117_zpsdc311521.jpg

screen118_zps92bedae4.jpg

I accept Count Raymond's proposal and Flandina departs for Maine.

screen119_zpsdd8b63db.jpg

Antonia has finished her education, and apparently has the makings of being a skilled negotiator.

screen120_zps4ba463e1.jpg

screen121_zps799a6b55.jpg

In early April 1106, I decide to muster all available men to attack the Pisans.
screen122_zpse8679275.jpg

Unfortunately, the Consul of Pisa and his vassal, the Bishop of Piombino, have twice as many men as I do,
screen123_zps292684a6.jpg

and after three weeks of sporadic combat we are defeated yet again.

screen125_zps1d8fda0b.jpg

While my men are bleeding and dying, we receive tidings that my Aragonese ally is attacking the Moors.

screen124_zps5648dda8.jpg

I fear we have fewer than six months of food and supplies left.

screen126_zpsad4ec5a2.jpg

If the Pisans are still laying siege when our stores are depleted, I will have to surrender Arborea.

screen127_zpsa1806d11.jpg

Henry has left the court. While I regret the loss of his sword arm, I don't regret losing another mouth. Maybe we'll be able to stretch our supplies for a little while longer.

screen128_zps909be86b.jpg

The Bishop of Rostock still has nothing to do with my rivalry with the Count of Ancona.

After mustering my troops in Arborea and a brief skirmish, we are defeated again.

screen129_zpsda2e36e9.jpg

I've mustered my army yet again. Merigo has been frustrated lately.
screen130_zpsefa7794c.jpg

I can't say that I blame him – our situation is looking increasingly desperate, and even though he's a better soldier than I've ever been I don't think even he could figure out how to defeat more than one thousand Pisans with two hundred Sardinians.

screen131_zpsb805e971.jpg

After about two weeks, we are defeated again. We've nearly run out of food, there's still nearly a thousand Pisans outside the walls, and I don't think I can muster more than 100 men.

screen132_zps92881323.jpg

I fear the end is near.