+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is it okay that the King of England is married to a woman of his house?

Why is it okay that the King of England is married to a woman of his house?

I'm never sure how far back it's 'okay' to marry someone related to you in-game, but I'm confused as to why the King of England in my current game, a member of house de Normandie, is perfectly able to marry a woman of the same house?

I tried to trace her lineage back to find a common descendant between them, but due to the dynasty page being laggy as anything, and the family tree being pretty confusing at time, I can't. Surely, however, the fact they are off the same house means that they do share a common ancestor along the lines of William the Bastard?

Darkest HourVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWar of the Vikings

Why not? If they are not so close in dynasty tree, then it is perfectly fine. And it was not so rare.

Or posibbly one of William's siblings. He does have a few I think.

But you are technically able to marry as close as cousin, same house or no.

You own siblings and parents' siblings can't normally be married.
    Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Montezuma II, William the Conqueror, Shaka Zulu, Tokugawa Ieyasu, Oda Nobunaga, A Random Spartan,...

... Long Live Mass-Murderers!

It wasn't uncommon for cousins to marry, let alone more distant relatives. It's actually kind of funny, because I was reading some medieval history earlier today and came across the wiki for a Duchess of Aquitaine who was able to get her marriage to the King of France annulled due to be being related within 4 generations(true reason being that only daughters had been produced and other political reasons), and then she married the King of England who was an even closer relative(3 generations).

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III CollectionRome Gold
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by MylesSCP View Post
    It wasn't uncommon for cousins to marry, let alone more distant relatives. It's actually kind of funny, because I was reading some medieval history earlier today and came across the wiki for a Duchess of Aquitaine who was able to get her marriage to the King of France annulled due to be being related within 4 generations(true reason being that only daughters had been produced and other political reasons), and then she married the King of England who was an even closer relative(3 generations).
    Yes, slipping 200 ducats to the Pope worked just as well in real life as in the game!

I presume we're talking about Eleanor of Aquitaine, who Henry II married because he really fancied her huge ... tracts of land
    Last edited by MikeWant; 14-07-2012 at 22:12. Reason: Typo

Crusader for True Inflation Emre Yigit's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Europa Universalis IV

The game does create random courtiers, and in the Norman case, name them "de this-or-that". Therefore, it is possible that the family of William and this woman are completely unrelated. Moreover, if you can't find an ancestor easily, it could be that they're distant cousins, and so easily OK to marry.
    To every man upon this earth / Death cometh soon or late. / And how can man die better / Than facing fearful odds, / For the ashes of his fathers / And the temples of his gods...?

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nintz View Post
    You own siblings and parents' siblings can't normally be married.
    I think I've seen uncle-niece marriages.

This is off-topic but in my current game I have a kid betrothed to his great-aunt. The difference in age between them, however, is 4 years, I think.
    CK2 Succession Survival Guide
    CK2 Book of Tips (46 and counting)
    CK2 suggestions of fixes and improvements (63 and counting)

CK2 AARs:
    Dominus Regni Poloniae (8 Feb 1296 Duchy of Greater Poland, finished)
    Lives of the Saints (Various times and places, single-character games)
    Land's End (A tale from Tintagel)
    CEO, EMEA (Guess what)

Achtung PanzerCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and Gold
    LegioThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWant View Post
    I presume we're talking about Eleanor of Aquitaine, who Henry II married because he really fancied her huge ... tracts of land
    She didn't marry Henry II. Her husband became Henry II.

I always marry my cousins, because they are so attractive.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III CollectionRome Gold
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by nyah View Post
    She didn't marry Henry II. Her husband became Henry II.
    Yes, you're absolutely right! Must get brain in gear before posting a weak joke in future!

Mike

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Sopot View Post
    I always marry my cousins, because they are so attractive.
    especially when your godlike character with tons of good traits was the one who took care of them as warden
    /MCMLXXXIX

54 games registered

CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_II_of_Spain

Charles the Hexed, always relevant to these threads.

The inbreeding was so widespread in his case that all of his eight great-grandparents were descendants of Joanna of Aragon and Duke Phillip of Austria.

That Habsburg generation was more prone to still-births than were peasants in Spanish villages.
    Non Angelus Sed Anglus

The Barcelona-based Sport: 'Football punishes Barca - Unjust, cruel, horrible, unmerited. Any adjective is not enough to define the incredible elimination of Barca at the hands of Chelsea.'

Captain
    EU3 Complete

Why wouldn't you be able to marry someone from your dynasty?

It is perfectly legal to marry your cousin even today (at least it is in Germany and in the most other states, too).

Einstein for example married his cousin.

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    the church officially required you to marry someone that was more than 7 generations away. so it was actually smart to marry someone a tad closer, as the rule wasnt enforced and if she proved to be infertile you could jst go to the pope and complain she isnt 7 generations away. it was also a good way to keep lands in the family with a female heir.

Just you try and pronounce it. Jhovozhymeh's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

City of Rockhampton, Province of Capricornia, The British Imperial Federation
    In a smaller kingdom, it can be hard not to. In 1066, Scotland only has about a half-dozen Dunkelds. One century on, there are near to ninety, and only the Earls of Teviotdale (House of Bamburgh) and Buchan (House Buchanan) are not Dunkelds. Dunkeld-Dunkeld marriages are becoming distressingly common, even with me arranging for my kin to marry abroad.

My royal marriages to fertile, unrelated foreigners must be the problem; perhaps I should start marrying my cousins - the Argyll Dunkelds maybe, or the Strathearn Dunkelds, or the Clydesdale Dunkelds, or the....

/wanders off, muttering 'Dunkeld' over and over.
    Join the great community of The Order of the Paradox in CyberNations.

HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

I had a game as Wales were I gave pretty much everything I conquered to brothers and other family members. All my dukes and counts kept marrying each other by around the 13th century pretty much every one of my lords had the blood mark for a relative on both sides of the marriage. I was concerned about inbreeding but it never popped up, mostly they were marrying people who were only distantly related.

Quote Originally Posted by kal56 View Post
    I had a game as Wales were I gave pretty much everything I conquered to brothers and other family members. All my dukes and counts kept marrying each other by around the 13th century pretty much every one of my lords had the blood mark for a relative on both sides of the marriage. I was concerned about inbreeding but it never popped up, mostly they were marrying people who were only distantly related.
    Same thing! Never a single inbred child

Recruit
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 Complete

Not from the same dynasty but my grandson has just married his step-mum...

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry13 View Post
    Same thing! Never a single inbred child
    Shortly after I started playing I saw a thread where someone claimed that 3 degrees of separation (shared great grandparents) means you should have no more paradox genes in common than if you married someone at random. Apparently inbred children are based on genes in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastaz View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_II_of_Spain

Charles the Hexed, always relevant to these threads.
    You know something is very wrong when even an official portrait cannot hide the horrible truth.

+ Reply to Thread