• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jorlaan

Victorian Rabble Rouser
88 Badges
Jul 16, 2011
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Gettysburg
  • Divine Wind
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • March of the Eagles
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
I am a huge fan of Paradox games, having bought HoI 3 after being given and going totally nuts over Vic 2. I want to expand and get more, and steam is a good way to get them it seems. I have seen a lot of comments about modding difficulties sometimes with Paradox games and steam, are they harder to mod with steam? I love playing various mods for the ones I have and work on my own as well, this would be important for me. Is it worth getting these games through steam, or go for a site like gamersgate, which seems to allow you to install normally. I'd actually prefer to go for steam if I could, but if it makes modding harder then I want to know.

From what I understand and have seen you do occasionally have to do some light fiddling with things (which isnt too hard and you have to do with non-steam versions too). There are occasional problems if your steam apps folder is in the 'wrong' part of the drive, but again not too big a worry. From all that I've read and seen unless you have a hatred of Steam, then there isnt really a good reason apart from occasionally getting patches an hour or two (or on one occasion a week) later due to time differences and posible Paradox plotting. Anyway yeah, things are fairly ok on that front.

CASTELLON EDIT: Edited to remove trolling comments. (We do not need yet another Steam flame war)

The only Paradox game I have on steam is CK2, and I haven't had any issues with mods or the like. The only probable issue I can foresee is if you don't turn off steam auto-updating and a new version rolls out, which could cause incompatibilities. I'm with you -- I prefer owning games on steam, and (to the best of my knowledge) you'll be fine in regards to mods.

Paradox should get on Steamworks ASAP to be honest, it'll make adding mods to the base game so much easier.

I use steam because of the sales :p

So, am I the only one who uses Steam just because it's convenient to have all my games in one place and the auto updating?

You mean Steam Workshop?

+1
I would LOVE to have Steam Workshop for Paradox Games. It would make mods MUCH more popular, and would in my opinion increase the sales of the games if word gets around that you have easy access to popular mods (like the Song of Ice&Fire mod and so on).

+1
I know Gamersgate has similar sales, but I just don't check the GG website often and miss many of the sales. I can login to steam everyday to check the current daily deal.

So, am I the only one who uses Steam just because it's convenient to have all my games in one place and the auto updating?

+1
But auto uptade has it's downsides when patches are not savegame compatible (not only PDS games, but CIV, M&B and so on).

And now Greenlight and Linux support give more reasons to use steam. And not to forget the rumored stand alone steam console.

FWIW - I love Paradox games - I hate Steam and will never - yes never ever buy a game off this site or ever use a game that requires loading the steam client. I'm just one person, one customer, one less purchase potential is it's Steamed based. It will take some time, but the tide against Steam will grow once the sheeple figure out their owned - if they even have sense enough to awake from their slumber. You will never know the true impact on sales as we will just bypass a Steam game everytime - others who like Steam will buy non-steam either way.

FWIW - I love Paradox games - I hate Steam and will never - yes never ever buy a game off this site or ever use a game that requires loading the steam client. I'm just one person, one customer, one less purchase potential is it's Steamed based. It will take some time, but the tide against Steam will grow once the sheeple figure out their owned - if they even have sense enough to awake from their slumber. You will never know the true impact on sales as we will just bypass a Steam game everytime - others who like Steam will buy non-steam either way.

I'm a fan of the way P'dox games you buy on GG are - not so spammy - but Steam sells in sufficent volume to be able to offer some great deals, and so my heart follows my wallet . . .

I like Steam because of the sales, the easy way of (un)installing, and the chat/friend system. I also like how at least the Paradox games are completely playable even without Steam, so there is absolutely no reason anyone should ever feel left out even if Steam was the only way to buy Paradox titles ;).

I got majorly spooked and peeved about steam when I wanted to play a game after I had already turned off my internet connection for the day and it said unable to connect. But apparantly there is something you have to do once and then you can play the Steam game without internet connection permanently afterwards.

Still that's a burden gamersgate does not impose.

No -- I rebought Europa Universalis III on Steam because I thought it was convenient to have all games in one place. As for autoupdate yes and no. I like the fact that when it is updated I can back it up and not have to re-download/store separate patches all over the place.

I like Steam alot for the convenience of not having to keep track of cd's anymore. Actually I don't have any boxes of any games anymore, except some special ones of the games I've made myself in a box for memory.

GG is nice as well, but its so much easier with auto-updates

I like Steam alot for the convenience of not having to keep track of cd's anymore. Actually I don't have any boxes of any games anymore, except some special ones of the games I've made myself in a box for memory.

To some people's chagrin GG appear to be now auto-patching on download - so when you install or re-install you now get the current patch - but of course not auto-applying subsequent patches.

To some people's chagrin GG appear to be now auto-patching on download - so when you install or re-install you now get the current patch - but of course not auto-applying subsequent patches.
I don't think it is auto-patching so much as their installer links to a patched version. I could be wrong. It would be nice if they offered a link for the "original" version too, but defaulted to the newest for people who are too slow to find patches.

What about supporting smaller STEAM like companies that have similar features like auto-updates and Mod-support?
Like:http://www.desura.com/ ?
Isn't it time to "help" the small "challengers" of STEAM a bit?

Cheers,
Chromos

I don't think it is auto-patching so much as their installer links to a patched version. I could be wrong.
I'm not understanding the difference ...