• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Decadence is what it means. Basically it can be interpreted as corruption plaguing your dynasty by its members being corrupt and more corrupt or tyrannical.

To keep it low you need to keep not more than the total number of demesne allowed.

The other things I'm not so sure.

War or battles(crisis) tend to lower decadence too a bit as rulers are checked by these crises hence slowing down their decadence.

Other thing that may help is giving land title to people not of your family members I think(your courtiers, dukes, counts, etc)

I'm having a hard time with this even or especially when my realm is enjoying its unprecendented success.

Anyone with better knowledge please help us both.

If you are asking about descendants and not decadence; there are two traits that represent Muslims who claim lineage from Muhammad. They are pretty basic. The (sayyid) means that the character can trace his line back to Muhammad through males only. The other means it comes from a woman.

I'll go with decadence.

As mentioned already, it is basically how corrupt, decadent, idle your dynasty is seen to be by those around you. It has several negative aspects if it gets too high, such as reduced tax and morale of your troops.

You gain decadence primarily by having unlanded adult males of your dynasty basically sitting around idle in your court.

You can gain and lose decadence via events, depending on your traits, for example, you might lose 2% due to your ruler being ambitious, conversely, you can gain 2% by being content. That particular event is similar to the money making/losing event Christians get, so expect events similar to that for muslims, but for decadence.

You can also lose decadence by giving your male relatives holdings, they may need more than a mosque and barony for it to have any effect. You also lose decadence by any granting of holdings to anyone. Another way you will lose decadence is from seiges and battles that you win.

You can find which relatives are causing decadence in the religion tab, you can then imprison that male relative to stop him from gaining decadence, so long as it's not your son, you can do it to your uncles and brothers, just not your direct hiers.

Basically, strong, prosperous and pious dynasties do well, weak, lazy ones do poorly.

I'll go with decadence.

As mentioned already, it is basically how corrupt, decadent, idle your dynasty is seen to be by those around you. It has several negative aspects if it gets too high, such as reduced tax and morale of your troops.

You gain decadence primarily by having unlanded adult males of your dynasty basically sitting around idle in your court.

You can gain and lose decadence via events, depending on your traits, for example, you might lose 2% due to your ruler being ambitious, conversely, you can gain 2% by being content. That particular event is similar to the money making/losing event Christians get, so expect events similar to that for muslims, but for decadence.

You can also lose decadence by giving your male relatives holdings, they may need more than a mosque and barony for it to have any effect. You also lose decadence by any granting of holdings to anyone. Another way you will lose decadence is from seiges and battles that you win.

You can find which relatives are causing decadence in the religion tab, you can then imprison that male relative to stop him from gaining decadence, so long as it's not your son, you can do it to your uncles and brothers, just not your direct hiers.

Basically, strong, prosperous and pious dynasties do well, weak, lazy ones do poorly.

I just want to add certain events can also reduce your decadence.

Someone mentioned having family members on the council could increase decadence as well.

If your decadence is high the Hassassin(Islamic secret order which name is now derived into assassin) may start killing your dynasty members and they will do it pretty rapidly. So watch out for high decadence.

I have a high decadence in my realm now playing the Egyptian Caliphate. I don't really understand why too. The Caliphate is filthy rich, the realm has been expanded and is huge....decadence rising at almost 0.5% per month. It's a nightmare. Events like observing Ramadan could barely help....My demesne is at 10/10 and My siblings either have their own holdings or in jail for rebelling against me. My children sone or two of them are in my court unlanded and others still children.

Anyone with more explanation or help please do help us

Edit: Ah as mentioned you can see who's causing the decadence with the religion tab and the details why. They need to be killed or imprisoned perhaps to reduce decadence.

Last edited:
Ah check your religion tab for the characters causing the decadence.

For each character u can see the contributing factors such as raank and holdings' size

Either assasinate them(through plot or right away with gold) or imprison them to reduce decadence (If you imprison your own relatives you won't get any penalty since they are your own relatives)

Edit:
Decadence is not caused by your family members of dynastic members doing nothing in your court. Decadence is caused by having your dynastic members or family members enjoying too high a rank(titles, council membership) or having too many holdings. The ones you give landed titles are the ones u need to watch out for decadence. The more successful(bigger and richer) your realm is I'd think the greater the decadence rate would be. Just give them fewer holdings/landed titles per person and you'll minimize risks.

Last edited:
Turned out not giving your dynastic members i.e family members landed title do make them decadent.

If you give them landed title then give them as few as possible for each person. This will minimize their decadence from having too high a rank or holding too many demesne of their own.

Or you can imprison them. I have been imprisoning too many of my own dynastic members because I wanted to minimize the realm's decadence. Works okay but it's painful to see useful young and talented members of your dynasty who like you a lot being imprisoned and end up hating you a lot. 16 and being imprisoned for the rest of his life.....

Learned this from personal failiure. Even if your decadence is still low, go ahead and imprison/execute/kill like half the kinsmen who count in the monthly gain. If you dont do it and give your lands to them, they will reproduce with 3-4 wives, and in a 100 years, you'll have your hands full with 8-9% monthly gain, and even if you go on a conquering spree, there is no way you could have enough land to your 80 kinsmen, that those branches you didnt kill all those years before, are producing. Be smart, and cruel. Murder/imprison anyone but your close kin.