Is there any way to manipulate the relationship between the Pope and other Catholics?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wheem

Captain
59 Badges
Jun 10, 2005
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
I'm looking to launch an invasion against Scotland, but apparently the Pope likes the Scottish King quite a bit since I can neither get the invasion CB or an Excommunication. It wouldn't help to simply increase my own Papal relations since they're already quite high (somewhere around 90 if I remember correctly).The only way to get the CB (or an Excommunication followed by the invasion CB?) seems to be lowering the relations between the Pope and the Scottish King; I can't really just wait for said King to die since he's quite young (I actually tried for the invasion CB against his father first, but the Pope liked him too :(). Can any of the spy missions lower their relationship? Or perhaps a chaplain on an inquisition? (though I figure the mistakenly-label-someone-a-heretic event only works for your own courtiers and vassals). I guess an assassination might work if the next king isn't so lovey dovey with the Papacy? Or is there some other method I don't know about/haven't thought of?

If I can't hit Scotland in the semi-near future, I was considering launching an invasion against Denmark since the Pope hates their (Excommunicated) King, but I'm not sure I'm strong enough for them yet. That also wouldn't really do much towards helping me with the eventual formation of the Kingdom of Britannia, except that it'd increase my power base to use for warring against England (though I think it'd give me enough territories to make it impossible to Invasion CB them).

As far as I know, there is no direct way to decrease the relations of the Pope to another ruler, however you can always try to assassinate the ruler or the Pope and hope that the relations decrease or you could name one of your bishops who dislikes the Scottish King an anti-pope and then press his claim on the papacy.