• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The_13th_Ronin

Colonel
120 Badges
May 13, 2007
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Lead and Gold
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
:(.

Every single DLC I paid full price for is 75% off and the only ones I don't have only got a measly 40% off. I know it seems like a small amount but when I pre-ordered Crusader Kings II and bought all the other DLC full price (which accounts for more than $65 AUD, $70-75 after tax) I thought I could maybe catch a break on some of the DLC. Seems like I ran outta luck for this sale.

It's not a mistake is it?

Last edited:
No offense , but this thread is quite pointless.Doubtfully that it is a mistake.

Why would you ask Paradox instead of Steam?

40% isn't a break?

Not when you just bought the new DLC full price which is now 75% off.

Why would you ask Paradox instead of Steam?

Because STEAM don't set the price. All developers control the price of their games on STEAM and control the discount when they go on sale. I don't understand why Paradox would discount their new DLC 75% but leave their old DLC at only a 40% discount. It must be a mistake because it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Because STEAM don't set the price. All developers control the price of their games on STEAM and control the discount when they go on sale. I don't understand why Paradox would discount their new DLC 75% but leave their old DLC at only a 40% discount. It must be a mistake because it doesn't make sense otherwise.

When a developer agrees to distribute with Steam they agree to let Steam do sales when Steam wants. That's why Gamersgate and Amazon both had sales that Paradox supported about a month ago but Steam wasn't part of that.

Edit. Also 40% isn't exactly measly.

When a developer agrees to distribute with Steam they agree to let Steam do sales when Steam wants. That's why Gamersgate and Amazon both had sales that Paradox supported about a month ago but Steam wasn't part of that.

Edit. Also 40% isn't exactly measly.

The timing of the sales is up to STEAM but whether they want to participate and the amount of the discount is up to the developers. STEAM has no rights to price the content because they don't own the content.

Also 40% is measly in context when every single other piece of DLC and even the base game are discounted at 75% and even when the aforementioned DLCs are bought in a complete package they come at 75% off. Its only a couple of dollars yah, I get that, but its still disappointing to see that everything else got a far greater discount.

Last edited:
You're pulling things right out of your rear, huh?

Excuse me? What?

First of all what is being pulled out of my rear exactly?

And secondly what is the burning need to be so rude?

I think you must be commenting on my comment that "The timing of the sales is up to STEAM but whether they want to participate and the amount of the discount is up to the developers. STEAM has no rights to price the content because they don't own the content."

I hardly call a basic understanding of business practices pulling anything out of my ass. STEAM isn't a traditional retail store. They don't buy a set of boxed copies of product for X amount of dollars and then sell them for whatever they like. Because STEAM is a digital retailer they sell a product that has no physical component meaning they can sell as many copies as people demand. Therefore rather than Paradox selling STEAM X amount of copies of the game Paradox instead receive a flat percentage of all sales via STEAM (how much this percentage is no-one knows but if I had to hazard a wild guess it'd be somewhere in the realm of 60-80% of sales). Therefore because Paradox still own the product which is being sold through STEAM it is their right to price it. It wouldn't make any sense for STEAM to be the one who decides on prices as they simply provide the means to sell games while taking a cut of the profit.

If that comment was directed at me and you're going to be rude about things then at least have the common decency of being informed:

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php

3. Who sets the price for my game on Steam?

Pricing is very title specific, and we've got a lot of data and experience to help YOU decide on what the best price is for YOUR TITLE. We'll work with you to figure out pricing.

9. What are my marketing options on Steam?

We do not sell any of our marketing on Steam. We will work with YOU to determine the best marketing plan for YOUR TITLE.

Last edited:
Aren't the DLCs like $2? 40% and then they are $1.20 I don't even think I can find candy for that cheap around here without cashing my gas-station rewards points...

It's possible over the course of the sale the price will change, so if 40% off is not good enough for you, you can risk not getting it at that price and hope for a 75% off deal that may or may not arrive.

Why isn't 40% enough? You should be happy to get a discount at all and not come here asking for more...

Please point me to the line where I "asked for more".

Even the title of the thread points at asking WHY Paradox have decided to use separate discounts for separate elements of their product. Are customers no longer allowed to question the business practices of companies they buy from? That seems pretty Orwellian.

Aren't the DLCs like $2? 40% and then they are $1.20 I don't even think I can find candy for that cheap around here without cashing my gas-station rewards points...

I already stated more than once that I'm aware the difference is a few dollars. That doesn't change the fact that it's strange that Paradox have decided to separate half of their product into a 75% discount and half of it into a 40% discount, especially when the 40% discounted items are the older items. And fyi for the extra amount of savings from the discount you could buy an entire other game, aka Spacechem or Terraria which are both $2.50 right now.

They are even claiming a 75% franchise wide discount on the main page of STEAM.

Last edited:
Please point me to the line where I "asked for more".

Even the title of the thread points at asking WHY Paradox have decided to use separate discounts for separate elements of their product. Are customers no longer allowed to question the business practices of companies they buy from? That seems pretty Orwellian.

Yeah...but why does this matter anyway?

As has already been stated, this thread seems quite pointless.

Its always the sub $2 price savings that get people raging. very funny tbh

You have a very quaint definition of raging.

I haven't demanded that Paradox change their pricing nor have I yelled at or mistreated anyone in this thread. I expressed disappointment with one post due to the user concerned being misinformed and rude.

If I'm not allowed to open a thread in the general section of a game forum regarding marketing and pricing of that game then there's something very wrong.

Because they were already cheaper to begin with. They're like two bucks for each one, and if you're going to take 75% off of two dollars, you might as well give it away for free. Any price reduction at all seems a little too much when its already that cheap, so 40%, to me at least, is more than enough.

Are customers no longer allowed to question the business practices of companies they buy from? That seems pretty Orwellian.
No-one from Paradox, nor any forum administrator, has responded to you in any way whatsoever. You have not been infracted, warned, told off, or reacted to in any official way. How do you get from there to "no longer allowed to question ..."? That seems pretty oh-wellian.

Last edited:
Why all the mess? The DLC are dead cheap anyway, you surely can afford the .50$ extra and be done with it.