• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Also depending on the age of your liege will depend on when you give your son land. For example current Sultan took over at the age of 52. So when my son was of an age to start educating him I picked myself as his guardian and then gave him land. If I had taken over at say 20, I would have not given him any lands, set up his marriages how I would do them and then give him land to try to ensure the grandkids with the Genius trait.

The might of the Byzantines is spent. I shall once again send my furious legions to descend upon them and drive them from their traditional lands. Armenia Minor. There is a nice stretch of land. I have been thinking I could use more coastal territory in case I ever decide I need to invade someplace far far away.
2012-07-20_00007.jpg

2012-07-20_00008.jpg

My forces rally across the breadth of my realm. 90,000 soldiers ready to do my bidding. So they descend upon the Byzantines but not before I call a few other smaller wars. There are places in the way of my invading forces I might as well claim I can’t help but think. Volhynia is part of Ruthenia and what remains of Wallachia should really also be mine. The war is very brief. In less than a year with no real clashes between our armies he surrenders the territories to me. He is desperate to hold against the Seljuk sultans fighting him for Syria.
The territory of Volhynia is quick to fall as well. And then because I can I take a bite out of Rus. Just to flex my power really. To show to the powerful King of Sweden that the Arsacid are not to be trifled with unless he wants the same. The Seljuks are continuing to fight their war and yet…they are losing? I must admit this surprises me a great deal.
2012-07-20_00009.jpg

Oh…it becomes harder to write in this journal…I fear…
2012-07-20_00010.jpg

Well! There are some changes to be made. When I was just 6 years old my father gave to me the old seat of the Byzantium Empire, the crown jewel that is Constantinople. No longer will the Sultans of the Arsacids live in Derbent. Our home will be there. Not all of my family is happy with the idea of me on the throne well…too bad. I would be lying if I said that they would have long lives ahead of them.

My loyal guards cannot catch all of them though. Some end up going rebel. Those fools who are unrelated to me are especially hard to capture but honestly I wouldn’t mind a few of them going rebel. It would give me a chance to revoke and rearrange my kingdom a little bit. I already have to spread out the titles somewhat as when I took over my father’s lands a great deal of territory came my way as a personal demesne.

Even with my vassals holding back the fullness of their armies I have enough power to crush any rebellion as it pops up. A few executions help to thin ranks as well. Too many noble sons kill an empire after all. The Seljuks can’t fight both the Byzantines and the invading horde and call off their war for Syria.
With things ordered in my homeland it is time for me to go on my hajj. Ahh Mecca, I have heard such things! I shall bring one of my Emirs who needs to do it with me. It shall be a grand time. I am days into the trip when I hear one of my vassals has tried to gain his independence. Well…I shall let my regent handle things though I left instructions to be very…firm. With our large group no one troubles us on our pilgrimage.
2012-07-21_00001.jpg

2012-07-21_00002.jpg

If it is one thing I have learned from listening to stories from my father about the Hajj it is that one should always give your ear to mysterious men on cold desert nights. You never know what wisdom they might share.
2012-07-21_00003.jpg

We may all be equal before Allah but between each other I don’t think we are. I am surely not equal to many of those around me. For I am the Sultan of the Arsacids! My lands reach in all directions and foreign nations tremble at the idea I might turn my attention to them. In fact I start finding it hard to focus on purely spiritual matters. The trip has inspired me.
2012-07-21_00004.jpg

2012-07-21_00005.jpg

I return home to good news. The rebellion was crushed and the title stripped. Furthermore the Seljuks managed to crush the barbarian invasion from the east. In my own homeland it takes me a while but I manage to whittle down the family tree to something manageable. A lesson to my sons who may read this. When you are thinking of imprisoning someone find out their parents. Imprison them first, revoke any Emir level titles they have then kill them. Let a child inherit and grant the title back to them to earn their favor.
2012-07-21_00008.jpg

Nobles busy waging war have no time to plot against you is another lesson. As such I engage in a war with Hungary for Kiev and with the Catholic Sultan of Jerusalem for his territories in Moldau. Yet even with them bringing in the forces of their so called Holy Orders all three quickly relent. Kiev is surprisingly well developed but it will not help me much until its people are brought into the Sunni fold. With that victory under my belt I host a grand tournament as well!
2012-07-21_00009.jpg

A minor rebellion in the Byzantium lands gives me another opportunity. Poor Emperor Basileus. He may be 15 but he will inherit a shrinking empire. Yet as I try to make the Byzantines shrink terrible news! Another horde from the east! This will be my greatest challenge.
2012-07-21_00010.jpg

120,000 strong! A truly vast army. Perhaps they should have spent less time breeding in huts and more time learning about the world around them. Perhaps they would learn that at my full strength I can gather 160,000 Persian warriors! I manage to catch their forward forces separated from the rest to crush with superior numbers and training.
2012-07-21_00011.jpg

I press into where they have been rampaging. Though at a terrain disadvantage I will show these eastern barbarians that the Arsacids are the greatest land in all the world. I lead from the front. Though I am not the greatest of warriors in my land I am nonetheless talented. My marshal and military leaders also skilled in the fine arts of warfare.
2012-07-21_00012.jpg

One of my allies wants my help but I can’t support him at this time. I catch them in Seljuk lands. I was very impressed with their ability to live off the land. If they had stayed together more they probably could have won the battles and forced me to surrender lands to them. Yet like the Seljuks south of me their initial gains they could not maintain. The battles are devastating to both sides. Of the massive force of 115,000 I took to my eastern lands to face them I have less than half of my force. However the enemy is down to a fifth of their own force.
2012-07-21_00013.jpg

I catch what I think is the last of their forces in the Ryn Desert in Seljuk territory. A barely won victory but victory breaks the last of their forces. They lack the manpower to keep up the invasion. In 1230 I force the Khagan of the Golden Horde to surrender. My eastern lands may be depleted and tens of thousands of my soldiers dead but the greatest military victory this world has ever known accomplished by my hand.
2012-07-21_00015.jpg

2012-07-21_00016.jpg

This war gives me a taste for what battle is like between great nations. Not since the great Jihad for Anatolia have we Arsacids had to fight so hard. As I return to Constantinople I sense more opportunities. While my forces may be somewhat depleted there are two massive civil wars going on. The Seljuks and Byzantines both suffering from a massive internal set of wars. I see…opportunity. I am 25 and it is time to expand the power of the Arsacids.
2012-07-21_00017.jpg

Last edited:
I have chosen my targets. The Seljuks and Byzantines can only summon up some 30,000 soldiers right now. Attacking their rebelling vassals will be no challenge. The rebelling Byzantine lands of Nikaea, Lukomorei, Rashka, Dyrrachion, Athens and Samoa. For the Seljuks I shall target the lands of Homs, Kurdistan, Dailam and Mazandaran. It is a pity I can’t attack entire rebelling duchies but certain accomodations must be made when fighting ones fellow Muslims. Arsacid shall grow.
2012-07-23_00001.jpg

Kurdistan, Homs and Kuomorei do not last long and quickly fall to be absorbed into my empire. I make a tactical mistake in Nikea by launching attacking the walls of the place I am sieging. We fail to take the place and I must redirected troops away from there. Dyrrachion goes well and will soon fall to me as the year turns to 1233. Further breaking up of places I attack causes the wars for Nikea, Athens and Samos to end inconclusively but not before I claim Mazandaran. The Byzantines have let their vassals rebel or were forced to accept it. All but for the duchy of Dyrrachion which will soon turn to me. Once I take it I will regather my forces and launch new wars on the fragmented parts of the Byzantine empire that have only just tasted their freedom. In October of 1233 one of my own vassals rebels against me. Me! Does he not know who I am? The idiot…well I shall deal with him shortly.
2012-07-22_00002.jpg

Dyrrachion falls letting me turn my focus completely on internal matters. These people will die for interrupting what I do for the Sultanate! I swear this by Allah! At the very least I know that once I have dealt with this rebellion the broken pieces of the Byzantium Empire will be easy pickings. Yet before I can force his surrender the fool dies. Pity I was going to have fun stripping some lands from him. Well no matter the area is secure I can go on the offensive once more.
2012-07-22_00001.jpg

Launching another series of offenses against the scattered lands of the Byzantines I hurry my armies into action. Nikea and a small piece of Anatolia fall. You know…long warfare is good for the people. Gives my various lords something to do with themselves. A better option than imprisoning them and executing them. Far less chance I might fail to put them away and they rebel. I have sons that need land too so handing the territory off works well. Still the wars must go on! In 1242 after years of siege I finish the wars I have called and send my soldiers home. My territory expanding heavily throughout what was the heart of the Byzantine Empire
2012-07-23_00002.jpg

The triumphant holy wars I launch expand my land and leave me with rested and ready troops. I call for another series of wars against the Byzantines. I am so close to breaking them I can taste it. So very close. The Byzantines are a small fraction of their power now. So small. A lesson to any who may read this journal. Waging a half dozen wars at once, putting down a rebellion, and then launching another half dozen wars at one can be very taxing. It is however important that you keep those around you that can keep you calm. Stress can kill you know.
2012-07-23_00003.jpg

Honestly though waging so many wars…makes one a little more uncaring about the suffering of others. Under my rule hundreds of thousands of people have died under my orders both on my side and from others.
2012-07-23_00004.jpg

With my victories against the Byzantine Empire I decide it is time for some more children. Some of my wives have passed on through accident. So I marry two more women. I plan to keep expanding my empire and I will need children to pass my lands off to. I possess more than half of what would be considered the Byzantine Empire. Once she is done with her own wars I will strip the title from the child Empress. I will help her along with that little war. By help along of course I mean I will conquer it for myself. I hear the Aegean islands are very relaxing. My forces come down upon them with such force that only intervention by Allah could hope to save them. Allah chooses not to intervene.

In fact Allah sees fit to do more than just let the Christians fall before the swords of his followers. He ensures that even the shadowy elements in my lands that would see me destroyed or removed from power do not succeed in their quest. Forces try to kidnap me and nearly succeed in stealing me away to Allah knows where but my loyal followers are able to intervene and save me. Heads. Will. Roll.
2012-07-24_00001.jpg

I am then told that one must possess 80% of the territory to claim a title of Empire. What! I am…upset. Still I will see the title in my families hands before the end of my life! The challenge to accomplish this goal will be the lands that are part of that piece of land near the seat of Catholic power. While all this happens the pope calls for a Crusade in Andalusia. No business of mine. I am 50 years old and my advisors tell me I control more than 60% of what traditionally is viewed as the Byzantine Empire. Knowing how my family manages to live I should be able to lead a great crushing invasion into the parts on the south part of that boot shaped piece of land and claim it all. 20 years. I think I can do this still.
2012-07-24_00002.jpg

The first time I have had to launch my forces by sea. It should not be a problem I have ensured that highly trained captains will lead my ships to enemy shores. I attack the duchies of Salerno and Capua. I would go for more but I am a just ruler. A truce must be honored. Both fall in short order. I think that Salerno specifically didn’t even realize what was going on before suddenly 30,000 of my finest Persian soldiers were climbing their walls. I hand off the territory to a kinsman and set my sights on Calabria and Sicily. The territories are Othordox Christian so I need not worry about serious foreign interference. The Byzantines are the strongest Orthodox land left and they are nothing to me now.

Both fall and I pass lands off to more of my kin. There is a minor rebellion from one of my lords. Apparently they aren’t fans of me generating claims on them then stripping titles. Well I am not a fan of those not of my family ruling lands for me! Since I must delay though conquering more of the lands I need to take the title I observe the most holy Ramadan in exceptional fashion. Yet I am not a young man and as the fasting makes me turn ill I must call it off. Still it is good to have tried it.
2012-07-24_00001.jpg

I must choose as I feel myself getting older. That illness over Ramadan was a sign. Do I honor my truces with the infidels or do I pursue my ambitions? If I wait for the truces to expire naturally I will not be able to achieve my goal. I must make the Empire. It is the goal I set for myself when I became Sultan. I pray that Allah will forgive my choices as I launch wars upon the lands of the Byzantines, Croatia and Split. Interesting. The Empress of Byzantium is no longer Orthodox. No matter. The Holy Roman Empire is busy with a jihad being waged against them in Africa I need not worry their involvement. The Empress quickly capitulates as her scattered holdings are sieged across her Realm. This lets me focus the full advance of my armies westwards. The Empress has moved the seat of her power west to Rama. How far they have fallen.

Things are nearing the end. There are only two counties standing between me and what I have worked for my whole life at. I see it now. When I was 6 and my father gave me rule over Constantinople it set me on this path to end the Christian Byzantium Empire. I call my legions up a last time. This will be the final finishing blow to ensure Sunni dominance in the region from now until the ends of time. All I need claim is the duchy of Epirus and I will have the clout to force recognition of the change in power throughout the world. Once again she quickly surrenders. I think she just wants to be left in peace at this point to rule what scattered pieces she has left.
2012-07-24_00003.jpg

2012-07-24_00004.jpg

And it is done. After 49 years of building on the successes of my family before me I am no longer sultan. No, I am Shahanshah Mashad 1 ‘The Wise’ of the Arsacid Empire.
2012-07-24_00005.jpg

I make this holy vow now that for the rest of my days I will take no further action against Duchess Anthe. She has had to endure enough thanks to me and I am not a cruel man. Those who once followed her…they are another matter. I just wish she had given the title stronger authority before I claimed it. Well, no matter, I will just have to improve the authority myself over time. I shall focus my efforts inwards for now. Building up my realm and pushing out the false religions some of the people still follow.
2012-07-24_00006.jpg

It takes a little bit of work when my heir dies to hand off enough titles to put the next person I want in charge as my heir. And a minor rebellion or two as I am forced to trim the family tree. A lot. More than a dozen of them I think end up with their heads on the block. Imprison the eldest and work your way down. It is amazing how large the family gets sometimes! Yet I find myself with nothing to do. I have achieved all I set my eyes upon so instead I laze about my great capitol being fed and admiring my dancers.
2012-07-24_00007.jpg

Ahh an indecent lifestyle…even in my old age really I shouldn’t have such fun with my wives or the serving girls during Ramadan.

2012-07-24_00009.jpg

Blessings upon my father who has passed on at the age of 72. I take from him the greatest land in all the world, the Arsacid Empire. The heart of temporal Muslim power in Europe. I am 50 and looking back through the legacies of my ancestors I see what is likely my fate. I will have a short reign and then pass on to my much young son who will do much greater things with a longer reign. Still it is a good time to take a review of the world.

The year is of course 1277. The Arsacid Empire stretches into Sicily and Poland in the west, to Rus in the north. The land of Surgut in the farthest northeast while at the south east we reach down to Mazandaran and rule all the lands inside it. Within my lands Sunni rules the majority but there are scattered pockets of Catholic, Orthodox, Tengri and even Nestorian. I rule of course from Constantinople.

The Seljuks are no longer the rulers of Persia. They have been replaced by a family known as the Aytekin but hold a few holdings still at the southern parts of the Arabian peninsula. Arabia mostly lies within the lands of the Yanbu. The Mehtarids have replaced the Fatamids in ruling the great lands of Egypt and remain a powerful Shia land. Far to the west the Holy Roman Empire has expanded far beyond its original borders into the fjords of Scandanavia and the coastal parts of Africa and suffers occasional internal rifts from succession issues. For all their power and the Arsacids never have our two sides fought even indirectly.

France is strong and have extended south into Spain. The Christian kings there fell long ago to Muslim hands. The north and north eastern parts of Spain belong to France and the Papacy respectively while the rest belongs to Sunni nations. England has a boy on the throne suffering internal war. They have done nothing important from what the history books say. Ireland is unified though a war to reduce the power of the throne currently rages. The same with Scotland.

Iceland is its own empire. Denmark and Norway fell and broke. Sweden is strong though having expanded into numerous parts of the land south and east of them. Hungary has endured for as long as anyone can remember in more or less the same state. Volga Bulgaria as well has not changed much. The Orghuz are gone having been replaced by the Khiva. Some parts of the world just won’t change and some do. Catholicism holds a powerful grip on Central Europe but through the rest most of the world follows the Sunni faith. Looking at the state of the world is distracting from the orders I need to give to clear the family tree.
2012-07-24_00010.jpg

2012-07-24_00011.jpg

ck2_map_1.jpg

ck2_map_2.jpg

Well as always that happens when one takes the throne certain malcontents must be removed. My half-brother and his children all die first one night. As a kind person I hate to do all of this so I turn to indulging myself to distract from what I do to ensure the strength of my rule. I can’t capture all of those I hope to have removed but most fall into my hands before they have time to defend themselves.
2012-07-25_00001.jpg

It may take me two years but I manage to deal with various of my family that are making troubles for me. Whew. I host a grand tournament once peace falls upon my realm so I can enjoy myself and relax. I even have to employ a few assassins to get the work done. However the lessons my father taught me serve me well in my work. Imprison one, imprison the children, revoke emirates, execute the eldest to let someone inherit and then grant the emirates to them again thus earning loyalty and of course a reduction in decadence through the granting of titles.
I should not have fasted as I did for Ramadan…
2012-07-25_00002.jpg

Still there are matters I must ensure are done. I increase the authority of the Empire of Arsacid. It is important that in the little time I feel I have left that when my heir takes over they can build on things until our lands are the steel shield against outside forces it had always been before and through the brilliance of our line control the ambitions of our followers. *cough* Damn ill health…why even my Imams do not understand my plight. I swear the honey was said to be a cure for my weakness and yet they act so…
2012-07-26_00001.jpg

No one in my family goes through their life without some small invasion. Though I do not plan to march and wage the epic war of my grandfather I still declare war on the scattered territories in my land and against the land of Krete. Krete ends in surprise. The first battle I capture the duke. Well…that is a quick fight. No matter I accept his lands. I have a grandson by the child I have chosen as my heir who can rule it.
2012-07-26_00002.jpg

My father has passed on. He ruled for only 6 years. A brief time compared with the others who have ruled this great empire. At the age of 56 he still proved his talent. The Sunni faith expanded, more territories were brought into his land and he dealt with those who were doing nothing to improve the Empire. Now it is my turn. I do hope Allah forgives the deaths that will soon come. This decade has been a bloody one internally.
2012-07-26_00003.jpg

I can’t catch all my kin who plot against the throne and some start a rebellion against me. Some who aren’t my kin as well rebel yet the for the most part the policy of revoking emirates and then granting them to heirs has ensured me a strong following. Though it takes me a few years and a small spree of assassinations to wipe out one family line of a group unrelated to me from a traitor I calm things down in my realm enough I feel it is time for the great tournament.
2012-07-26_00001.jpg

The tournament goes quite well and I even am inspired enough by the events to make a small invasion in the region of Syria, giving me enough territory to create the kingdom of Syria. Whew. War is a little bit thrilling but not something I would want to do for years on end. At the urging of my first wife, an ambitious woman to be sure and the woman whose son is my heir, I take a fourth wife and declare a war against the emir in Ascalon. I almost call the war off when I learn the great Egyptian Sultanate has decided to support them but I shall risk this at my wife’s urging. Most wisely she points out that I can bring nearly twice the army that the Egyptians can. So long as I don’t fight like an idiot I can crush the combined Shia forces.
2012-07-27_00001.jpg

2012-07-27_00002.jpg

After several pitched battles involving 30,000 of their forces and 45,000 of my own I break through their lines and begin a forceful effort of sieges to break the enemy and force surrender quickly. With more than 30,000 soldiers past the main force of the enemy I can make short work of garrisons and even while my forces and theirs battle in my lands the large force is able to make the Emir give up his territory to me.

Triumphant I sit back to examine my Realm. I have no real desire to expand my territories. To be honest they are fairly wide as it is. Instead I think I will just focus on wiping out the remaining bits of Tengri faith that exist within my lands. They have persevered far too long. I also raise the authority of the Empire to its highest level. Best to keep my followers from stabbing each other or from stabbing me.
2012-07-27_00003.jpg

My kinsman doesn’t like the idea and my attempt to put him in prison leads to a revolt. Well it puts off what will happen. He tries to beg for a white peace but war once joined must be seen through to the end I feel. Especially when I have the upper hand. Another follower rebels after I put down this rebellion. You know…all this forced warfare has served me well. No longer am I just content to sit in my throne no I will do things.

Yet in the later months of 1292 I find myself involved as the defender in a great Crusade for Sicily. The Pope has decided it has remained in my hands long enough and sent out a call to the Catholic lords of the world to join him in opposing me. We shall drive the Christians into the sea for this! I will not be the one to lose Arsacid lands! I summon forces from all over my lands and they begin to march to the oceans where my ships can carry them swiftly to aid my lands in Sicily. The soldiers of Khiva also join my war to help me maintain Sunni dominance.
2012-07-27_00004.jpg

The pope has a strong initial advantage by attacking the areas I have busy doing other things. Sicily is a difficult region for my armies to reach on their own. However my armies in groups of 15,000 or more in single units have started to land and strike back at the Pope and his forces to reclaim territories he stole. Such is our confidence one of my kinsmen sends me a poem which I find really quite wonderful. I mean sure…it didn’t rhyme. And sure I did fall asleep after the first bit. And sure he really did have a boring monotone voice. I still liked it though and anyone who says otherwise I will have hanged!
2012-07-27_00005.jpg

Thanks to superior mobility granted by the Arsacid fleet I start to turn the tide against the Pope and devastate his forces across Sicily. I even go so far as to siege Rome as a lesson to him that his god is weak and false while Allah provides.
2012-07-27_00006.jpg

The authority of the Pope is weak. None of the great Christian Kings will join him. Sweden, France, Scotland, England, or even the Holy Roman Empire. All he has is a smattering of dukes and counts and the King of Hungary giving him aid in his crusade. Yet not only do my own superior forces fight for Allah but the wise Sultan of the Persian Empire decides to join us with tens of thousands more soldiers making for Sicily.
2012-07-27_00008.jpg

I have just under 60,000 soldiers in the Sicily region in four groups of no less than 10,000 apiece. I do not think that the combined forces of all the Christian armies involved in this war can near that number. 10,000 I keep on my ships to ensure rapid crushing force on any small groups that land somewhere distant by sea. After 3 years of war I learn that the mythical King of Ireland has joined the battle. I hear strange tales of that place. About otherworldly creatures called the Sidhe who are so beautiful you would cut out your eyes upon seeing them because the rest of the world is so plain in comparison. Or that they can throw an axe 300 yards! Well, myths I am sure…I pray.

Yet he only brings 10,000 fresh soldiers to land in Salerno. They are soon torn apart. So much for the tales of mythical Ireland and their fair folk. I raise up another 40,000 of my own soldiers to join the fight. After more than 5 years of defeats by the Catholic forces their Pope begs for peace. In my magnanimity I grant it. Christian gold will be spent to build temples for Allah. A much better use for it.
2012-07-27_00009.jpg

Incidentally for some reason it seems the Golden Horde continues to gather armies on my eastern border. Nearly 150,000 of them. I am told they do not starve, they do not age, they do not die and they do not eat. I believe Allah has cursed them and they can do nothing but gather there. This is what happens to those who anger the great Allah. (Yay game glitch!)
2012-07-27_00010.jpg

Another distant relative rebels. A larger rebellion than any before but still a tiny fraction of my full power. I give the orders and across my lands more than 100,000 soldiers rise to deal with the traitors. He loses. I lock him up. I take away one of his titles then execute him then grant that title to another of the family. The cycle of Arsacid life. If only they were wiser they would not covet things so much and be happy with their place in my lands.

The last piece of the Vladimir emirate goes into rebellion from its lord which gives me the polite excuse to invade it for my son and bring it into his control. A single county against the full might of the Arsacid Empire is a very short battle. I decide I shall even follow Ramadan in a much more serious way than many but learning the lessons from my father if I feel that my health would be threatened by it I shall quit it early. The feast and treating my wives is very expensive though. I will have to mind my funds a little more I think.
2012-07-28_00001.jpg
2012-07-28_00002.jpg

2012-07-28_00003.jpg

To keep my various lords busy I attack one of the rebelling lords of Hungary. The region is close enough I feel I can expand there without having to worry about them getting traitorous thoughts. Sadly it seems my invasion causes them to surrender. Only a very few small pieces of what should be the Byzantine Empire remain out of my hands. A trio of lands in Sicily and a few islands in the Mediterranean. I am only 53. I could still see the territory of the Arsacid Empire spread a little wider. Cement my hold in Sicily. My forces would come down like a crushing wave from boats and take it all. So in 1302 I call for an invasion. Anywhere I have boats soldiers take to sail. It is the end of March as the winds carry my soldiers across the calm waters. Strong winds at their back give them the speed to crush the enemy before anyone can interfere. I do not even bother inviting my allies to this small little war. I just wish this annoying cough would go away.
2012-07-29_00001.jpg

2012-07-29_00002.jpg

What an awkward time for my father to pass away. Well the war will still end swiftly I can assure that but then I will be forced to turn my attention inwards once more and deal with the traitors and the kin who wish me ill. My half-brother is unable to escape before my followers have him in prison. A distant kinsman as well. The two of them were the greatest danger to the throne if they rebelled. The others may rebel but they do not have a dangerous level of power to them nor are they as likely as the others to take up arms. I continue with the war in Sicily. The even lets me capture some infidels which I release to earn more favor and positive opinion from those who follow me.

The war is over swiftly and I send everyone home and give the territory to my youngest child. Well, a regent will handle matters there until he is old enough. More of my half-brothers start to get ideas about the throne and I am forced to send my marshal to deal with them. The Emir of Gallacia escape and sparks a minor civil war. Some of my kinsmen I can hand off minor lands to like mosques to keep them pleased with me while I deal with my direct family. Another escapes the clutches of my guards more the pity.
2012-07-29_00003.jpg

The annoying part is the rebels in Sicily. So inconvenient to get my soldiers to but I gather a host of some 20,000 men to take boats there from the Black Sea. As I try to reign in the decadent members of my dynasty another throws up his arms in rebellion. Do they not realize this just forces my hand to destroy them? Though it takes some years I put down the rebels and clean house such as it were with the numerous family members that need to be shorter. Things in order I leave things to my wife as regent while I will go to Mecca.

I remember how once my family was even accosted by pirates while on route to Mecca. Such dangers do not afflict me though I find I am not a fan of the ocean. Too much up and down…and side to side…and…urp! Yet while I travel humbly I see another travels in arrogance. Allah shall judge them. Over an evening around a fire I am shown a few tricks with a sword which will serve me well when I must lead my armies. It is inspiring at Mecca. I know well how some of my ancestors felt. The fire that burned in them upon making the circuit. Bold and inspired by the events I even charge random lowly bandits. Oh how my courtiers would worry for me if they saw this.
2012-07-29_00004.jpg
2012-07-29_00005.jpg

2012-07-29_00006.jpg
2012-07-29_00007.jpg

Returning home it is time for a tournament I feel. To celebrate the victories of the past and the future. The whole thing is a great success I feel. Furthermore where my father was a fan of poetry I have become a poet good and proper. My poetry helps distract me from what seems to be a pattern in the Arsacid empire. Too many children and not enough land. So you put away those you can. Sometimes you must put away those with titles and soldiers. Sometimes they rise up in rebellion which you must crush.
2012-07-29_00008.jpg

At the north most part of my territory is the duchy of Moskva. Once they were part of the Volga-Bulgaria but the times have not been as good to that land as they have been to the Arsacids. I dispatch a small force to conquer it so that they might benefit of my wisdom. It falls swiftly. When you bring more than 10 times the enemies forces to fight against them well the end is not in question. I give the land to one of my sons. Shortly after the conquering of that northern land Hungary suffers another massive internal rebellion.
2012-07-29_00009.jpg

A brother fights his brother for the throne there. A story I know well. Well I tried to take a few lands once maybe I can take a few more this time. I attack Temes, Transylvania and Ungvar. If my soldiers are swift we can take some of the lands from the king before he loses or wins and the land is unified again. Temes doesn’t last long before it falls into my hands. Next the duke of Transylvania yields territory to me followed by finally the duke of Ungvar giving me the final pieces of Transylvania. I like collecting full sets you know. The pieces are carved out of the rebelling Hungary. Lands handed out to various kin. I think the Hungarian king will lose and his brother will sit on his throne. I still desire those last few lands that belong rightfully to me that are in Egyptian hands but I can wait. My seventh son has that spark of a true leader and I begin to groom him for the position to take over when I have passed.

Last edited:
In 1314 a chance develops. The Egyptians are suffering a rather large succession crisis and I see a chance to act. One of the minor pieces that should be a piece of my Empire is rebelling and within easy marching distance. I also see a chance to take a bite out of the Sultanate and take the Sinai region. It would be good to extend my reach southward. I feel my northern lands are as far north as I want to go. Anything more makes for troublesome lords who feel the distance means they can set up their own lands.

The battles all go well. My reach expands farther south. In the most distant records of my family I know there are two places we once ruled. Mecca and Kerek. If I could reclaim those places than that would secure my fame in the history of our people. Every land we had ever once ruled always came back to us though it may take 200 years. I just wish I could get more success against those Tengri followers in the northeastern parts of the Arsacid Empire. My allies may request help to deal with their rebelling lands but honestly they are there for me and not the other way around I feel. Speaking of my allies the Persian sultan has died leaving a boy in charge. His vassals don’t like that and I sense opportunity knocking once more.

Hungary once again suffers an internal crises. Well time to see about saving some of those poor Christians from their weak lords and false faith. Pecs and Ungvar are my targets this time around. They fall swiftly. Hungary is much reduced from its former full lands. As for what should be part of the Byzantine Empire only 2 pieces of territory remain still out of my hands. I am giving serious thought to waging a full war for the last two lands I want that are in Egyptian hands. Far to the west in Iberia the Pope calls for a crusade against my son in law who rules in Aragon. Well I believe if he is worthy Allah shall ensure his victory. Turning back to the matter of the land I still want my spies bring word of the military I would face.

Consulting with my sons and my council we decide to make the war. The Arsacids are an ambitious people. No one will have even the smallest claim onto the Arsacid Empire or even what was the Byzantine empire. Cyprus is the final piece of territory. Well I hope Sultan Ibrahim doesn’t hold a grudge. He should never have tried to hold that land in the first place. I send the troops from Sicily, some 20,000 along with the ones from Krete to Cyprus itself while the rest begin to make the overland march towards Egyptian lands. Well in less than a year he surrenders. It wasn’t much of a war I think he just foresaw what would happen if he kept the war going. Also the Aragon invasion very quickly failed. I think the Pope just can’t gather any support these days.

Well Cyprus is mine. My own personal forces never even reached the battlefield before he surrendered. An easy foe and I can wage holy wars since he is Shia. Possibly going to have to invade him more often I think. While I deal with one of my kinsmen who is rebelling the Sunni Caliph calls for a Jihad against the Holy Roman Empire in Africa. I don’t believe the Caliph really holds the favor of Allah I think I shall ignore the war. I do not accept the offer of a white peace. I will ensure he loses and ends his life in my jails. Emirs who end up in my jails have very short lifespans tragically.

The Tengri faith is almost wiped out as of 1334. There are 5 lands left where the people hold to this false faith. Three of those lands are within my own territory and they are hard to wipe out. Just a few in Azov and Sarkel. I should have learned the lessons of my grandfather. My pious observances of Ramadan have cost me my health. Though knowledge that the Pope has been driven from Rome and his lands taken by one of the Sunni faith keeps a smile on my face.

As I lie infirm in my bed a man comes to talk to me of philosophy and higher spiritual matters. Though bedridden my mind remains still sharp and focused enough for learned discourse. I can manage my empire still. I keep focused internally for the next few years. I have almost destroyed the Tengri faith. Just one single territory remains where the people follow that false faith. I feel old though and though I must run things from my bed I pray that Allah lets me finish this holy work for him before I go to be with my fathers.

(And due to an accident in the copy pasting deleting extra copies of the pictures, all we get for today’s update is the picture of the newest sultan. Tragically, his father never did quite wipe out the Tengri from Arsacid lands)
2012-07-31_00005.jpg

(Since we only got one picture last update I decided to do a little more today! Aren't you all lucky. I do it for you! My fans! At least I hope you are fans and not just following along to laugh at me. That would be cruel)

Ahh it is good to be the Shahanshah. I have wealth, power, and many beautiful women vying for my attention. Did I mention the women? What about wine? And fine foods? And the finest silks to rest on. It is a pity but I must leave my wives and wine to ensure that my ability to enjoy those things remains uninterrupted. To that end well let us be honest here. I have some brothers who are going to have a visit with a very sharp axe once I relocate them from their homes to the dungeons. To some of my sons I divvy out some of my lands I now possess. I think my rule will be a more peaceful one than my fathers. After making sure I only hold one emir level title only 3 of my brothers disagree with me on the throne. They also all end up in prison before they can do anything with their son’s taking over in their places. Yet what shall I do? I burn with ambition yet it feels like my ancestors did all the great deeds already. Well first things first. Maybe a display of martial excellence with a grand tournament will inspire me!
2012-07-31_00006.jpg

Though while the tournament battles something far more interesting happens. A troubadour and his wife and their wonderful dancing maidens arrive. Mmm…much more interesting than men with swords. I can’t recall the performance exactly. Falken…fist? Falkenlip? Fal something something at least. The important thing is that there were four very beautiful women dancing around before me swaying with such grace.
2012-07-31_00008.jpg

The tournament goes off without a hitch aside from some people dying. And some maimings. Well what did they expect in a sword fight? This is why I only watch these things. Well, watch their wives but still. Anyways between the dancers and this tournament I have my plan. I will be the one to take Hungary for the Arsacid Empire. It is weak enough and small enough that even with the Holy Roman Empire at its doorstep I will drown it in a sea of my soldiers before they can do anything. I shall start with Pest. The boy king of Hungary may rule there but well…kings can relocate. He very swiftly surrenders. No taste for war.
2012-07-31_00009.jpg

They say that during Ramadan one should abstain from things. I am sure they didn’t mean women though. Couldn’t mean women. I mean they are so soft, and sweet and I think I hear them calling I will write more later.
2012-07-31_00010.jpg

Tragically the Jihad for Africa fails. Well, tragic isn’t true. I had no part in it and thus it failed. Seems simple enough. However this also means that the King of Hungary is no longer involved in foreign wars. Which means his title can be put into more worthy hands. That of course shatters the region into a trio of independent duchies each of which I could and plan to war on to bring into the Arsacid Fold. So I declare war on each of the three duchies at once. I have the manpower for such wars.
2012-07-31_00012.jpg

The Holy Roman Empire gets involved. Hah! I fear not their weak German armies. Let them try to save the Catholic rulers on my western border and I shall send their bodies home to weeping widows. While my soldiers work to achieve that I make sure my wife has plenty of reading material to keep herself occupied. Which keeps me occupied. I think she wants to occupy me right now actually.
2012-07-31_00013.jpg

2012-07-31_00014.jpg

I admit a certain smug satisfaction after claiming those territories in Hungary. A sign to the world that no matter who sits on the throne of the Arsacid Empire we are the greatest military power in the land and you had best hope we don’t set our sights on you. There are two things left I would like to achieve in my life. Well three. First get rid of that last Tengri holdout in my lands. Second reclaim Kerek, and third reclaim Mecca. A succession crisis in Egypt offers a chance for the second. I send out the word. I mean, I personally don’t go but I trust my soldiers will achieve what I want. My emirs will follow my orders and take the land from its current Shia lord. Speaking of what happens while I stay at home it turns out I have a bastard son from a dalliance. I legitimize him I mean you can’t control how you are born. He won’t ever rule the Arsacid lands but he can manage some small part of it. Though my actual heir will probably kill him at some point. No matter. I will be dead by then.
2012-07-31_00015.jpg

2012-07-31_00016.jpg

In less than a year I take the territory called Oultrajourdian. In fact I set up my bastard son to rule the land. Sure he is less than a year old but he will grow up into a fine administrator for the region I am sure. Then because the place is an eyesore I decide to take Jerusalem as well. I mean it is right in the middle of my territory. Somehow all these wars I order from the safety and comfort of my palace where I spend my nights in the arms of beautiful women is stressing me out. Could it be too much hedonism? No, impossible. There is no such thing.
2012-07-31_00017.jpg

In 1352 Tengri are finally wiped out from my land. The faith is nearly dead. A single group of people in the lands east of my own still follow it but I have expunged it from my own lands! Allah will be pleased I am sure. The people of Tana were tenacious in their faith. Nearly 300 years of following Tengri ways but they came around finally in the end.

I got lucky. The Byzantines never really tried to pick a fight with me or were always too busy with their own things early on. After a certain point I just had momentum carrying me along to the peaks of power.

A great painter arrived with a wondrous portrait of my father. I shall hang it in the great hall so all who see it can know how great my father was. Ahh dad, he was the best. There is a good reason why he was called the great!
2012-08-01_00001.jpg

A minor rebellion in the Yanbu lands lets me move a little closer towards Mecca. Once long ago we ruled it. Before we were an empire. It would be nice to claim it once more. Sultan Nezam who once ruled the emirate of Derbent and started the Arsacid dynasty lost the territory in November 9th, 1101. It remained part of the Arsacid Sultanate as it was known at the time until March 13th, 1114. For 13 years it was ours and it will be again. Also good news! I have become less stressed. Being around one of the women of my court has helped with that problem. She feeds me grapes in such a wonderful way.

It also turns out that both of the Hashshashin temples are in my lands. They have struck at my courtiers trying to get at me for some time. Let us see how well they handle a real assault! I give word to my men to invade the mosque of Alamut in Dailam. There other land is in Archa also within my domain. How sneaky of them to hide within my own territory for so long. I am not afraid of them however! Tens of thousands of my soldiers move to crush their strongholds. They are not so strong in a straight up fight and one of their two minor territories is now mine. I also speak with my court imam about Wali Najib. The man is increadibly decadent. Perhaps a fatwa I am thinking? After all won’t someone think of the children?
2012-08-01_00002.jpg

This lets me remove him from control of the county. Or some plot he was trying does. No matter. He is removed. I also end up going on a small murder spree. To ensure a few titles fall back into my hands to redistribute. Not everyone likes it and I have to put down a couple rebellions but it doesn’t change the results of my purges. The Pope, wherever he hides, calls for a Crusade in Italy against the Mehtarids. No worry of mine. I mean yes we are allies but honestly…I just marry my daughters off to get them out of my hair and I marry beautiful women for…the sake of beautiful women.
2012-08-02_00001.jpg

The crusade fails. Things are not going well for those foolish Catholics. I laugh at them as I lounge in the arms of a wife and listen to word being brought to me from abroad. In turn the Shia wage a jihad for the territories held by the Holy Roman Emperor in Africa. Ramadan is still fun though. Mmm…the women.
2012-08-02_00002.jpg

Yet coming out of Ramadan I achieve something else great. I have destroyed those murderous assassins of the east, the Hashanshin. No longer will people worry about their knives in the night. As a reward for my good deed I decide to get another wife. Someone young and beautiful and with passions to match my own!
2012-08-02_00003.jpg
2012-08-02_00004.jpg

Ooh. More troubadours. Which means more dancers. It is good to be me.
2012-08-02_00005.jpg

The Jihad for Africa failed. If I had joined for whatever reason we would have won…but was I offered any Egyptian princesses for my aid? No! So why would I send even a single soldier. Besides I have parties. My parties are just as dangerous as any war if you ask me!
2012-08-02_00007.jpg

You would think after all these years people would know the kind of person I am. Why do I of all people get scolded for my fun?
2012-08-02_00009.jpg

2012-08-02_00010.jpg

And now it is my turn. Me and my glorious beard!
2012-08-02_00011.jpg

I would like to be a more wise and merciful ruler than my fathers have been. I mean yes, some people will be a threat to the Empire and must be dealt with. However if my brothers are peaceful and accept my rule I will try to restrain myself from following the traits of my fathers and separating them from their heads. I do manage to imprison all those looking to rebel without them escaping my guards leaving me with just the one rebelling lord who was active when my father died. My dad was…a bit out of control with things. I still follow the tradition of taking new wives but I only take two. Let us be honest I have 5 sons already. I don’t need many more kids. I would like one though with that little something extra though. The rebellion was close to being crushed when my dear father passed on and in short order I finish the job. Now with my nation ordered I think it is time for my hajj.
2012-08-02_00013.jpg

As I leave from Constantinople I really have to think how much easier this would be if I ruled all the lands from here to Mecca but no matter. Certainly there wouldn’t be these bandit issues! I really must speak with the lords of my lands when I return. Bandits that harass pilgrims? This should not be permitted! I rule the Arsacid Empire! I stir my fellow pilgrams to wrath against these bandits and we go to fight them!
2012-08-02_00014.jpg

I personally kill 3 of the bandits before we drive them off and we suffer no more dangers before we leave the fertile parts of Armenia and begin to enter the Syrian deserts. I have been too coddled in my life as ruler and of course my upbringing before as prince. The desert heat...I should have brought more supplies and water. Yet temptations play at my mind as I see strange visions in the desert. My fellow pilgrims don’t seem to see anything though. It must be an illusion and I ignore it. Mecca itself is all that I have been told. I can feel the touch of Allah in the land. We change and dress in white for all are equal from the poorest pauper to myself before Allah. When I perform the Tawaf I only call out for three circuits instead of all 7 times. It is humbling to be sure. I chose to sacrifice a lamb as well. That is traditionally what my family does when we are in Mecca making the hajj.
2012-08-02_00015.jpg

The return trip is a grim reminder that Allah can take us anytime. More than that it is a sign that we must work hard to make this world a just one. While I cannot ensure that people will carry enough supplies when they make their pilgrimage I can at least try to put down the risks of banditry that some pilgrims must go through
2012-08-02_00016.jpg

I return home to terrible news! One of my vassals…is a follower of the Yazidi heresy! These people have incorporated Zoroastrian ideas into sunni doctrine. Well! I shall put an end to this. Maybe a bit of religious zeal in me after my trip to Mecca but I shall see this man stripped of all his lands though not killed. An apportunity presents itself though as the Aytekin and the Yanbu both suffer some internal wars. Both are to lower Crown Authority. Well when opportunity knocks you have to answer the door and there are some piece of land I wouldn’t mind bringing into the fold as well as continuing to conquer towards Mecca. I start 5 minor wars. Since they are rebelling lands fighting to reduce authority I have no real chance of losing. At worst they win or lose their personal efforts to reduce authority which will automatically end the wars with me. All this starts in 1371.
2012-08-03_00001.jpg

I gain some territories but I do not manage to claim Medina in the far south. A pity I was truly hoping to not have to go to war with the Yanbu directly for that piece of land. Still I made my gains by the middle of 1373. Lands I can share with the family as a host a celebratory tournament. A great and glorious one where all those who waged true and great war for their Shahanshah can prove their worth once again. I personally even take part in the tournament. A my trusty whip at my side and a fancy hat on my head. I should make up a title for the greatest warrior in the land. Jones maybe. Or perhaps Indiana? Both sound half right.
2012-08-03_00003.jpg

The Sultan of Egypt has his own issues now. The lands of the Nile Delta are up in revolt against him. My first wife says I should take action. My youngest shows all the signs of being the one I want to leave my lands to and so I should make moves now to ensure he has the lands he will need to ensure rule passes on to him. It is a wise point and I can make a holy war out of the matter since it is currently held by those of the Shia faith. After consultation with some more of my vassals I decide to let my forces sail and march for the heart of Egypt. Besides this will distract people from the fact I have emptied the treasury during Ramadan. While I wage war in Egypt I hear word of yet another of these Khans from the east poised to strike at Khiva and Persia.
2012-08-03_00004.jpg

Still the lands are won and I take control of three of the four parts of the emirate of Damietta. I think now is a time to prepare myself for these coming Mongols and their third invasion. There are more than 200,000 of the ones who took part in the so called Golden Horde’s invasion of my lands still trapped in the northeast parts of my land now and forever. If these new ones trouble me Allah shall surely inflict a similar curse upon them. Yet before they arrive I think it is time to take an assessment of the world we live in as of 1374.
2012-08-03_00005.jpg

2012-08-03_00006.jpg

The Arsacid Empire is the world’s dominant force. No other land comes close to the size, wealth, majesty or prestige of the Arsacids. Throughout all our history we proceeded carefully and wisely slowly building power never taking unnecessary risks. For uncounted years now we have always been the agressors in battle. Aside from minor civil wars no one ever has actually tried to attack us in living memory. The Egyptian Sultanate rules all along eastern Africa and even some parts up inside Germany and Italy. Farther west the great Marwen Sultanate rules northwestern Africa, parts of the Iberian peninsula and pieces of Italy as well. I know little of them. They busy themselves with the Catholics in the west and I dominate the east. Iberia itself is divided amongst a half dozen various powers with France possessing some land in it too.

From what I can see of the most ancient historical documents France is little changed in totality. They have last parts of their realm to the Holy Roman Empire but gained Brittany and parts of Iberia. The Holy Roman empire is ruled a German Kaiser. My grandmother was German and told me about her homeland. From what I can gather they have not significantly expanded their borders given land lost but they have grown stronger internally though internal wars still cause problems given their elective style of succession. England, Scotland and Ireland seem to do little aside from fight internally against their own lords or squabble with each other. I know once Ireland joined a Crusade against us but stories of that distant place are much exaggerated.

In the distant snowy north we find Denmark is well Denmark. They exist. They grow and shrink. They are not a major power but have existed a long time. Sweden is strong. They dominate the area around their lands and have taken much of what was once part of Rus. We have peaceful relations. I think they understand that I have no interest in anything more north of me and they are wise to not upset me. My father once talked about how he wanted to marry a swede with skin like ivory and hair like gold. Father did love his women. Norway and the Rus are broken kingdoms. They may have had power once but no longer with Norway ruled by Germans descended from the family that rules the Holy Roman Empire. Volga-Bulgaria has suffered some hard times as well. Long ago they were traditional allies of my family but that time has passed. They are left to the northern steppes.
The Persian Sultanate is ruled by a Turk now. A pity. My family still holds to our Persian roots. The Arabian Peninsula is shared between them and the Yanbu though the Persians are suffering internal strife related to reducing their crown authority.
ck2_map_1.jpg

The two most dominant religions in the world are the Sunni faith and the Catholic faith. After that are the Shia faction of the Muslims. There are no Orthodox kingdoms anymore. Within my domain you find scattered holdouts and I think there is a northern duchy that is ruled by an Orthodox Christian but their time is past. There are no major heresies though there are a tiny few Orthodox or Christian ones here and there. The Tengri faith exists only in two places now and none in my lands. I would rather Catholics or Orthodox followers than they. A forgotten pagan religion of an older time who will pass away to nothing in time. Both the Catholic Pope and the Sunni Caliph have absolute moral authority over their domains.
ck2_map_2.jpg

Culturally one looks at the world and thanks to my family you can see the spread of the Persian culture. The seat of our power remains Greek for now but we ourselves are Persian through and through. Greek is on its way out. No longer do Greek lords rule. In their place are Persians of my family. Still it is a slow thing. Even that ancient Georgian culture still exists in a small piece of land. Looking to the future I can see only glory for us. The most recent survey of the total size of the Arsacid Empire is 1204 separate counties that make us up. The next largest of the Holy Roman Empire is a mere 442. I am 31 years old and ready to fulfill my destiny.
ck2_map_3.jpg

2012-08-03_00007.jpg

Just working on my last post. The timeline has almost run out at this point, a mere 50 years left and having accomplished all I set out to do I have reached the point where maintaining the empire isn't really fun anymore and not too inclined to run the clock down. Besides this first shot at an AAR has given me a good idea for how they are done and ways I can do my next one better. Stay tuned! Feel free to ask any questions about things if you are curious about anything going on in the game or things I did.

I would like to be a more wise and merciful ruler than my fathers have been. I mean yes, some people will be a threat to the Empire and must be dealt with. However if my brothers are peaceful and accept my rule I will try to restrain myself from following the traits of my fathers and separating them from their heads. I do manage to imprison all those looking to rebel without them escaping my guards leaving me with just the one rebelling lord who was active when my father died. My dad was…a bit out of control with things. I still follow the tradition of taking new wives but I only take two. Let us be honest I have 5 sons already. I don’t need many more kids. I would like one though with that little something extra though. The rebellion was close to being crushed when my dear father passed on and in short order I finish the job. Now with my nation ordered I think it is time for my hajj.
2012-08-02_00013.jpg

As I leave from Constantinople I really have to think how much easier this would be if I ruled all the lands from here to Mecca but no matter. Certainly there wouldn’t be these bandit issues! I really must speak with the lords of my lands when I return. Bandits that harass pilgrims? This should not be permitted! I rule the Arsacid Empire! I stir my fellow pilgrams to wrath against these bandits and we go to fight them!
2012-08-02_00014.jpg

I personally kill 3 of the bandits before we drive them off and we suffer no more dangers before we leave the fertile parts of Armenia and begin to enter the Syrian deserts. I have been too coddled in my life as ruler and of course my upbringing before as prince. The desert heat...I should have brought more supplies and water. Yet temptations play at my mind as I see strange visions in the desert. My fellow pilgrims don’t seem to see anything though. It must be an illusion and I ignore it. Mecca itself is all that I have been told. I can feel the touch of Allah in the land. We change and dress in white for all are equal from the poorest pauper to myself before Allah. When I perform the Tawaf I only call out for three circuits instead of all 7 times. It is humbling to be sure. I chose to sacrifice a lamb as well. That is traditionally what my family does when we are in Mecca making the hajj.
2012-08-02_00015.jpg

The return trip is a grim reminder that Allah can take us anytime. More than that it is a sign that we must work hard to make this world a just one. While I cannot ensure that people will carry enough supplies when they make their pilgrimage I can at least try to put down the risks of banditry that some pilgrims must go through
2012-08-02_00016.jpg

I return home to terrible news! One of my vassals…is a follower of the Yazidi heresy! These people have incorporated Zoroastrian ideas into sunni doctrine. Well! I shall put an end to this. Maybe a bit of religious zeal in me after my trip to Mecca but I shall see this man stripped of all his lands though not killed. An apportunity presents itself though as the Aytekin and the Yanbu both suffer some internal wars. Both are to lower Crown Authority. Well when opportunity knocks you have to answer the door and there are some piece of land I wouldn’t mind bringing into the fold as well as continuing to conquer towards Mecca. I start 5 minor wars. Since they are rebelling lands fighting to reduce authority I have no real chance of losing. At worst they win or lose their personal efforts to reduce authority which will automatically end the wars with me. All this starts in 1371.
2012-08-03_00001.jpg

I gain some territories but I do not manage to claim Medina in the far south. A pity I was truly hoping to not have to go to war with the Yanbu directly for that piece of land. Still I made my gains by the middle of 1373. Lands I can share with the family as a host a celebratory tournament. A great and glorious one where all those who waged true and great war for their Shahanshah can prove their worth once again. I personally even take part in the tournament. A my trusty whip at my side and a fancy hat on my head. I should make up a title for the greatest warrior in the land. Jones maybe. Or perhaps Indiana? Both sound half right.
2012-08-03_00003.jpg

The Sultan of Egypt has his own issues now. The lands of the Nile Delta are up in revolt against him. My first wife says I should take action. My youngest shows all the signs of being the one I want to leave my lands to and so I should make moves now to ensure he has the lands he will need to ensure rule passes on to him. It is a wise point and I can make a holy war out of the matter since it is currently held by those of the Shia faith. After consultation with some more of my vassals I decide to let my forces sail and march for the heart of Egypt. Besides this will distract people from the fact I have emptied the treasury during Ramadan. While I wage war in Egypt I hear word of yet another of these Khans from the east poised to strike at Khiva and Persia.
2012-08-03_00004.jpg

Still the lands are won and I take control of three of the four parts of the emirate of Damietta. I think now is a time to prepare myself for these coming Mongols and their third invasion. There are more than 200,000 of the ones who took part in the so called Golden Horde’s invasion of my lands still trapped in the northeast parts of my land now and forever. If these new ones trouble me Allah shall surely inflict a similar curse upon them. Yet before they arrive I think it is time to take an assessment of the world we live in as of 1374.
2012-08-03_00005.jpg

2012-08-03_00006.jpg

The Arsacid Empire is the world’s dominant force. No other land comes close to the size, wealth, majesty or prestige of the Arsacids. Throughout all our history we proceeded carefully and wisely slowly building power never taking unnecessary risks. For uncounted years now we have always been the agressors in battle. Aside from minor civil wars no one ever has actually tried to attack us in living memory. The Egyptian Sultanate rules all along eastern Africa and even some parts up inside Germany and Italy. Farther west the great Marwen Sultanate rules northwestern Africa, parts of the Iberian peninsula and pieces of Italy as well. I know little of them. They busy themselves with the Catholics in the west and I dominate the east. Iberia itself is divided amongst a half dozen various powers with France possessing some land in it too.

From what I can see of the most ancient historical documents France is little changed in totality. They have last parts of their realm to the Holy Roman Empire but gained Brittany and parts of Iberia. The Holy Roman empire is ruled a German Kaiser. My grandmother was German and told me about her homeland. From what I can gather they have not significantly expanded their borders given land lost but they have grown stronger internally though internal wars still cause problems given their elective style of succession. England, Scotland and Ireland seem to do little aside from fight internally against their own lords or squabble with each other. I know once Ireland joined a Crusade against us but stories of that distant place are much exaggerated.

In the distant snowy north we find Denmark is well Denmark. They exist. They grow and shrink. They are not a major power but have existed a long time. Sweden is strong. They dominate the area around their lands and have taken much of what was once part of Rus. We have peaceful relations. I think they understand that I have no interest in anything more north of me and they are wise to not upset me. My father once talked about how he wanted to marry a swede with skin like ivory and hair like gold. Father did love his women. Norway and the Rus are broken kingdoms. They may have had power once but no longer with Norway ruled by Germans descended from the family that rules the Holy Roman Empire. Volga-Bulgaria has suffered some hard times as well. Long ago they were traditional allies of my family but that time has passed. They are left to the northern steppes.
The Persian Sultanate is ruled by a Turk now. A pity. My family still holds to our Persian roots. The Arabian Peninsula is shared between them and the Yanbu though the Persians are suffering internal strife related to reducing their crown authority.
ck2_map_1.jpg

The two most dominant religions in the world are the Sunni faith and the Catholic faith. After that are the Shia faction of the Muslims. There are no Orthodox kingdoms anymore. Within my domain you find scattered holdouts and I think there is a northern duchy that is ruled by an Orthodox Christian but their time is past. There are no major heresies though there are a tiny few Orthodox or Christian ones here and there. The Tengri faith exists only in two places now and none in my lands. I would rather Catholics or Orthodox followers than they. A forgotten pagan religion of an older time who will pass away to nothing in time. Both the Catholic Pope and the Sunni Caliph have absolute moral authority over their domains.
ck2_map_2.jpg

Culturally one looks at the world and thanks to my family you can see the spread of the Persian culture. The seat of our power remains Greek for now but we ourselves are Persian through and through. Greek is on its way out. No longer do Greek lords rule. In their place are Persians of my family. Still it is a slow thing. Even that ancient Georgian culture still exists in a small piece of land. Looking to the future I can see only glory for us. The most recent survey of the total size of the Arsacid Empire is 1204 separate counties that make us up. The next largest of the Holy Roman Empire is a mere 442. I am 31 years old and ready to fulfill my destiny.
ck2_map_3.jpg

2012-08-03_00007.jpg

The Mongols have finally gained land in the east. They have picked a fight with Allahyarid Sultanate and have been winning. The first Mongols broke against the Seljuks. The second broke against me. The third picked a fight with a small and weak nation and have finally gained some territory. The Timurids. Nothing too serious though. Meanwhile I manage to claim Medina. Now Mecca itself is right next door to my southernmost territory. The years pass mostly peacefully. Though there are sometimes internal issues they are always small and easily crushed. To the east the Timurids have claimed all the territory between myself and the Persian Sultanate. I wonder if their Khan is foolish enough to try to pick a fight with me. He is apparently a Shia follower oddly enough. I may have to take over his lands.
2012-08-04_00001.jpg

The Mongols continue to pick a fight with the Persian Sultanate. I give them a 40% chance of success in their wars. We will see how things go. Some of my court say I should wipe them out. Still those lands are so distant to my own. I am not sure if I wish to do such. I have an opportunity to suggest another fatwa. This time against one of the mayors. In the end I strip the title from him. My wife though one evening she and I are alone have a little talk about the matter of the Mongols.
Nagihan is dressed in darkened silks and veiled. She is a Turkish woman by descent and hearing about the Mongols has had her on edge for weeks. “Dear…I fear for those in my homeland. The lands of my grandfathers. These barbarian Mongolians from distant east. They have taken over the ancient lands of Khiva and fight with the Persians and Turks to their south. I know that they are no real danger to the Arsacid Empire but…”
“But you fear for those beyond our borders. You worry for others who must endure their ravages and the domination of these foreign people. You want me to take the land back from them and drive them back into the east?”
She nods. “I know how you have no real wish for wars so far east from Constaninople but we should take some action. You have the favor of Allah we know this. You need only look to the northeast at those of the Golden Horde who are trapped there forever. You could do this easily.”

While I had no plans to engage in the warfare but I had taken the time to examine matters in case I had to do something. The Mongols have only a tiny fraction of my power. If I go to war with them it will be a crushing victory. I close my eyes and she goes completely silent while I give due consideration to what she says. Finally I open my eyes and give her a nod. “I personally will take my forces and those of my vassals and we shall march east.”

Her eyes go wide and her smile brightens the room as she leaps to hug me and thank me. I will spare you the details of the rest of the night but I leave the next morning tired from a lack of sleep, hundreds of thousands of soldiers beginning to march east. I haven’t personally left my great capitol in years and years. They quickly capitulate and they continue to be pressed from the south by the Persians. I suspect a very short Mongol empire in the east. Dealing with them and forcing the surrender of two lands allows me as well to ensure my heir of choice will take over now.
2012-08-05_00001.jpg

It is in 1392 that I find myself once more at war with the Pope and the Catholic Christians over Sicily. You would have thought that he had learned his lesson about daring to oppose me. Well if that is what he plans to do I shall make sure his soldiers turn the shores red with blood. I give out word to all the lands that sit by the sea and can raise a fleet to carry soldiers to Sicily. That is enough I think to best this Pope. We will see if I need more. Well I try to at least. Seems my armies are growing too large for my fleets! Still I have mobilized some 100,000 soldiers to await the enemy assault. Seems that the King of Ireland fancies his chances at us again. Apparently some don’t learn the lessons of history!
2012-08-05_00003.jpg

2012-08-05_00004.jpg

I form a single fighting force of nearly 90,000 soldiers after the first initial battle is one. After that I keep them on the sea striking like lightning where the enemy lands to slaughter them. The Queen of Denmark and the King of Scotland have joined this battle as well. Interesting but they are small compared to me. My allies have started to arrive as well slowing down the enemies movements. Haha! The Queen of Rus is joining in? I have emirates larger than her kingdom! The Yanbu are suffering an internal strife. Oh how I wish I could act on it. Damn the Pope for tying up my forces! Actually given how devastating their losses have been. I think I could disband my forces and invade and take Mecca.
2012-08-05_00005.jpg

In fact with how well the defense of Sicily goes in the Crusade and the fact that I can bring over one million soldiers into battle means that I can easily take the risk and fight on two fronts. After dispersing my forces and then putting out a new call to arms I assembled a force of more than 1800 ships and 130,000 soldiers to protect Sicily while some 850,000 more march from all parts of my Empire towards the Yanbu.
2012-08-05_00006.jpg

The Yanbu quickly capitulate. The fool Pope continues his war, Christian soldiers dying shortly after they land in Sicily. Little known fact about warfare. If you put soldiers in boats so long as you have enough boats for them all you needn’t worry about any of them starving. This is terribly convenient for defensive coastal wars. The crusade has gone on for four years now without them ever managing so much as to successfully siege a single holding. After six years of it though I can force the Pope to surrender. It is truly a pleasant thing.
2012-08-05_00007.jpg

The Aytekin have some troubles once more with rebels and I decide to help myself to some more of their territory. I have no true need for it but my wife she insists that I bring them in under my protection and appeals to my sense of justice on the matter. Sadly I can only claim one small piece of the Emirate of Damascus before the wars end. A shame. Still things are going most well as I look out to review the Empire
2012-08-06_00001.jpg

From such small and humble beginings! Learned a lot from this Muslim run. You really have to keep an eye on those minor lords or they will keep fabricating claims on family lands under your nose. Holy wars and being able to attack withour proper CB is very useful to expansion. Attacking rebelling lands very useful for building your size. Doing the AAR and reading what others have written I have a better feel for how to do these and my next one. Definitely less of a flavored description of my game and more personal I suppose. Try and do more conversations and getting into the minds of each. Thanks to all who have read this. Now the only question is who to play as next? I think I wouldn't mind starting off as the vassal to someone to start this time around. Any suggestions? Requests?