Why do you love Europa Universalis & how would you explain it to a friend?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can imagine myself explaining this game to a friend like this:

Imagine for a moment that you can play any nation that ever existed in the world for every day of every year during the timespan of 400 years of history? Imagine a game with strategic, economic, and political depth beyond your wildest dreams where the slightest misjudgement can get you into war with France with the very survival of your city-state on the line. Imagine a game where you can turn a small county in the Holy Roman Empire into the nation of Germany and relive the imperialistic ventures of the British to build a Empire where the sun never sets.

That is Europa Universalis 3.

That is my favorite game.

And all of this can be yours for 19.95! You've never seen an offer like this before!

But wait! There's more!

Order now and you can get this authentic Columbus signed map of the New World absolutely free!

For all those times you want to act on your Napoleonic ambition without killing actual people - Europa Universalis.

I first loved EU1 when the history of the game and the chance to play something involved and complex with lots of meaningful long term decisions caught me. By the time I had worked out the basic mechanics and started a game with almost everyone EU2 came along and gave a lot more depth and historical information.

EU3 was an improvement with less rough edges (I'd not go back to EU2), but it never grabbed me the same way.

"EU 1, both vanilla and the modding community helped me pass my history class when i was back in school by just reading the historical events" :p

If I like EU3 but don't like the introduced changes for EU4 so far, can I comment here too? :p

@K_merse : you should develop your own game, then. Just call it "Mundi universalis" or something like this. Or perhaps was it Magna Mundi ? :)

But, on the other hand, I agree with you. For now, the changes in EU4 are not all very great...with mods, it will be very fine, for sure.

I love the EU franchise because I love maps and history real and imagined. I like the chance to rewrite the history books based on the actual events and circumstances that created history as it is, and most importantly I have always liked that I could easily change those conditions as I see fit and add elements that the designers omitted or forgot. With a degree in History I know that it is subjective and that different people see it and experience it in different ways. EU is unmatched in its capacity to deliver all these things.

So far I've lost every single EU3 campaign I ever started, but one day I will unlock its secrets. Its sweet secrets of world domination...

I love EU because of many things... Partly the unrivalled strategic gameplay, partly building up a nation and leading it to greatness, partly seeing the world spring to life and sometimes doing odd, but plausible things, and partly because I adore modding. I think I have at least spent as much time modding EU as I have spent playing it. And when you play the game then the game is not just over in thirty minutes or an hour, it is great. A game can take a month depending on how much you play per day. It makes the game feel epic and grand. It feels like you are rewriting history.

I do not know how I would explain that to a friend, but I did explain CK to one of my friends at one point. Although, I do not remember how I won him over to the dark side.

I love EU because the series was the first (and outside of Paradox, AFAIK, only) attempt to simulate the impact of diplomatic, economic, and religious relations in a historical fashion. Most other strategy games are map-painting exercises in which the economy is modeled only as a way of supporting armies for further conquest, whereas Paradox games support other ways of playing. I also like the fact that there's no "balancing" of the game to make all great powers equal. Some countries were historically greatly advantaged or disadvantaged and the game reflects that.

I just did this about 2 days ago. Explained EU III to someone.
Note, this took place on a political forum.

Them: "...So it's like Civ then?"
Me: "Yes, but it's more rooted in real history. More politics involved. IMHO if you like Civ and you like Politics, you will like EU"