+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did the game sell poorly? (75% steam sale)

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries

Did the game sell poorly? (75% steam sale)

Today the game was released exactly 3 months ago. And it's already 75% off on Steam today. I know it's a game which caters to a very niche market, but did it sell that badly?

well all i can say, is as a first day buyer and heavy supporter, i am mortified that you have the daring to knock this game down by 75% in the first 3 months it is out! yesh, maybey you want to get some sales, maybey it didnt fare too well, but 75%, cmon man. its like 3.75 now. thats nothing, i paid nearly 15 for this game, and that (for me) is alot. i litteraly have a list that consists of about 6 games to get this year and next, and naval war :Arctic circle was on taht list. im dissapointed and betrayed. at least you have givven us a map editor, but if you are daring todo thi s sort of tactic, please, give us somthing back like DLC, extra missions for free. im hurt, and hurt badley. hell i havnt even gotton round to even playing it i have been so busy since i brought it. for all i care i simply could have not brought it and waited for it to go on sale. wouldnt have effectide me atal as i havnt had time to play it

please take this into consideration, and dont read it as an angry post. im not angry, just really really dissaponted and let down

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Naval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

This kind of thing happens all the time, no reason to be shocked, upset, etc. Its not Paradox's fault or even their choice I suspect. Some (all?) retailers can sell a product for what they want (and this deal is only good for 1 day). If you buy/play games even casually, you know that they all eventually come down in price. You (and I) chose to be a first day buyer/player. We could have waited 3 months, 6 months knowing it probably would be cheaper.
    Last edited by steve58; 10-07-2012 at 21:05.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 Complete
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSword of the Stars

Well at release it topped the Steam chart for a time, so it can't have done that badly. And this is hardly the first time its been on sale since then. I myself bought it release day on Steam and got a free copy of Commander: Conquest of the Americas (a more expensive game), and it was on sale at 50% off on Steam during Paradox Week back in June. And, according to SteamGameSales, it's been on sale on Impulse at least twice (back in April, and again now).

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by marat271 View Post
    Today the game was released exactly 3 months ago. And it's already 75% off on Steam today. I know it's a game which caters to a very niche market, but did it sell that badly?
    Something to remember for digital Distribution a 75% sale like this on steam isnt like clearing stock like retail, but the larger discounts can increase renenue during the sale and after the sale compared to before the sale. IIRC CK2 was on a 75% sale not long after it was released
    Ignored: Nuril, videonfan, Pandi

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagicka
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by steve58 View Post
    This kind of thing happens all the time, no reason to be shocked, upset, etc. Its not Paradox's fault or even their choice I suspect. Some (all?) retailers can sell a product for what they want (and this deal is only good for 1 day).
    That is true for retailers that sell physical copies of games, but I believe publishers have full control of prices and discounts for digital distributors like Steam.

So, is the game worth $5?

Achtung PanzerCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and Gold
    LegioThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by 0235 View Post
    i litteraly have a list that consists of about 6 games to get this year and next, and naval war :Arctic circle was on taht list. im dissapointed and betrayed
    Don't buy any of them at full price. Don't be tempted by the pre-release offers. All of them will be at a discount within a few months.

For me personally if I think a game I'm interested in is too expensive for its worth I won't be buying at release and will wait until sale. NWAC was priced reasonably in my book. I don't regret buying it.

If I wanted to save I would wait for a few months, if I bought it I didn't want to regret it meaning if I bought it I was happy with the price then.

Too bad none of my real life friends would love NWAC otherwise I would buy a copy gift for a friend with this sale.
    Not much point buying or gifting a game which the recipent couldn't really appreciate.
    "A society that robs an individual of the product of his effort, or enslaves him, or attempts to limit the freedom of his mind, or compels him to act against his own rational judgment-a society that sets up a conflict between its edicts and the requirements of man's nature-is not, strictly speaking, a society, but a mob held together by institutionalized gang-rule. Such a society destroys all the values of human coexistence, has no possible justification and represents not a source of benefits, but the deadliest threat to man's survival" -Ayn Rand. Read about the nature of Singapore regime on 'exposingsingapore' blog

Quote Originally Posted by nyah View Post
    Don't buy any of them at full price. Don't be tempted by the pre-release offers. All of them will be at a discount within a few months.
    wise words. but i felt that naval wars was a product that deserved the price. maybey is hould always get a demo first.

well, at least the good points is even if they are only getting 25% of the origonal cost, 3.75 isnt very much atal for a game, and i can imagine alot of people (like i used to be) just buying it because its a bargain.

oh and out of that list of 6 games i was going to get this year and next, only one i know i will get day one. the rest can wait till they are on sale.

50 games registered

A Game of DwarvesCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    DungeonlandEast India Company CollectionDivine WindHOI3: Their Finest HourImpire
    King Arthur IILead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveRome Gold
    SengokuSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarStarvoidThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the RosesCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

I'm going to put my hand up and honestly say I was waiting for this game to go on sale, however I didn't realise it'd be this cheap so quickly. I did buy it for the 3.74, and can honestly say its worth more than that in my books, even though the genre isn't one I usually delve into. As a bonus its almost certainly going to be the first game that I even bother with the steam workshop. It feels like a game of Defcon without nukes, with the added bonus of having visual models of all the units and missiles.

There are a few things I don't like about it, but the gameplay makes up for it. I hear DLC is coming and can say I'm looking forward to it and may buy first day if reasonable price for the content.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 Complete
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSword of the Stars

Another possibility is that Paradox have put the game on sale to increase awareness and expand the userbase before they start releasing DLC.

Achtung PanzerCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and Gold
    LegioThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by 0235 View Post
    wise words. but i felt that naval wars was a product that deserved the price. maybey is hould always get a demo first.

well, at least the good points is even if they are only getting 25% of the origonal cost, 3.75 isnt very much atal for a game, and i can imagine alot of people (like i used to be) just buying it because its a bargain.

oh and out of that list of 6 games i was going to get this year and next, only one i know i will get day one. the rest can wait till they are on sale.
    That's fair enough. I bought CK2 full price because I'd been waiting for it for years (actually at 25% amazon pre-order). I just don't have enough cash to buy full price games and I couldn't justify naval wars. On CK2 I've had over 400 hours of gameplay since release and so I think I've got value for money, but I wasn't sure that I would enjoy naval wars enough to shell out 15 for it. At 3.75 there isn't really any question. I've been selling some records on ebay and I used my paypal balance to buy the game, so in effect I exchanged my copy of Lee Perry's Kung Fu Meets The Dragon LP for this game.

+ Reply to Thread