• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Depends on what level the beta is at and usually pro testers give MUCH better reports then do new players. I've seen all the "i can't play the game" bug reports I ever want to see ;)

Sometimes the "I can't play the game" responses can be useful feedback for streamlining UI and such. A pro can't always tell you how clear a game's layout appears.

No it doesn't, DF got a shitty UI because the developer didn't care about it.

And given that Paradox said people were chosen based on their technical aspects, aka computer setups, I don't really understand the discussion. It's a hardware test, to see what works and doesn't.

Last edited:
pretty sure it was a first come first serve policy...

No it wasn't

And given that Paradox said people were chosen based on their technical aspects, aka computer setups, I don't really understand the discussion. It's a hardware test, to see what works and doesn't.

This. I'm sorry you all can't get to experience the loveliness that is A Game of Dwarves just yet, but soon you all will be given the oportunity :) Fact is that we only let in 3-4% of all applicants at this stage so don't feel singled out if you didn't get in already.

Best Regards

Fact is that we only let in 3-4% of all applicants at this stage
Wow! That implies there is only a hand full of testers this first round (as in maybe a dozen) or there were a ton that applied for the position. . . . (But more testers will be added later.)

Either way – I like the way this is shaping up. It should mean a very good Beta phase and in the end will mean a much better game.

Wow! That implies there is only a hand full of testers this first round (as in maybe a dozen) or there were a ton that applied for the position. . . . (But more testers will be added later.)

Either way – I like the way this is shaping up. It should mean a very good Beta phase and in the end will mean a much better game.

It was actually a quite large amount of applicants, the beta is small however. Larger than a dozen, but small :)

Yep, that explains how DF got its UI, getting all your feedback exclusivly from the hardcore is never good.
Haha, this is a great example that I'll need to remember for the future.

No it doesn't, DF got a shitty UI because the developer didn't care about it.
Why would he care? The core playerbase is familiar with the UI and doesn't raise much of a fuss because they know how to use it and are willing to help those who aren't as good with it. If no one could even figure out how to play then he might have done something about it. At this point though there are enough tutorials that anyone can get into it even in its current state.

Last edited:
Fyi I'm a programmer on the popular Minecraft mod IndustrialCraft 2, and have been in my fair share of betas too. .

Entitled much?
I have programmed multiple open source programs that get used by a couple of thousand people and one also got packaged for archlinux.
I have done Skyrim Mods and some for other games but I don't go into forums and tell people to accept me into a beta because I am the ubar master hacker...
That's quite some attitude and you should lose it ;). Just my 4 gold.

Doesent help to complain, but having been around for years and registered a tons of games and never got into a beta before on a signup except through a contest leaves me disapointed but not angry. If they pick their testers based on hardware, then I guess its useless to have a high end computer because it will run anything.

Entitled much?
I have programmed multiple open source programs that get used by a couple of thousand people and one also got packaged for archlinux.
I have done Skyrim Mods and some for other games but I don't go into forums and tell people to accept me into a beta because I am the ubar master hacker...
That's quite some attitude and you should lose it ;). Just my 4 gold.
Devs are devs for a reason as well. What testers and devs consider bugs can be vastly different :p

Devs are devs for a reason as well. What testers and devs consider bugs can be vastly different :p

Most Professional/Internal Testing programs have the testers write down a description of the bug and then the tester would look for a match in a bug database to make sure they are not erroneously duplicating a know report. Then the report gets classified by the Game designers, programmers and producer by severity or even rejected as 'Not a Bug' (it will stay in the Database though so as to avoid re-reporting). I'm familiar with a three tier classification system, 'A' Bugs generally crash the game or make it impossible to play (like not being able to trigger the ending of a stage in the campaign), 'B' bugs greatly diminish player experience without destroying it all together (like not getting the reward from a side-quest) and 'C' bugs and very minor things (misspelled words in the Chinese localization).

You were many applying for which we are very grateful, it's awesome to see so many people interested in the game. For now we only wanted a few people testing a wide array of technical aspects however, so sadly a lot of you had to be declined.
In such a case, you should really address that in the e-mail. Especially if you foresee later BETA phases that require more people.

The reason why most productions don't do this 'declined e-mail' stuff is because they put your application on file in case they need to use it later.

Most Professional/Internal Testing programs have the testers write down a description of the bug and then the tester would look for a match in a bug database to make sure they are not erroneously duplicating a know report. Then the report gets classified by the Game designers, programmers and producer by severity or even rejected as 'Not a Bug' (it will stay in the Database though so as to avoid re-reporting). I'm familiar with a three tier classification system, 'A' Bugs generally crash the game or make it impossible to play (like not being able to trigger the ending of a stage in the campaign), 'B' bugs greatly diminish player experience without destroying it all together (like not getting the reward from a side-quest) and 'C' bugs and very minor things (misspelled words in the Chinese localization).

We call them errors, warnings and notices.

And gentlemen, remember to compile C with the -Werror flag. Makes better code.